My wins are unconditional
Pronoun: he / him

Post by DirkGently » 2 years ago

EDIT: Decklist up
Extus

Ramp (3)

Approximate Total Cost:

OP:

Imagine my shock when Extus, Oriq Overlord became (at least for now) the most popular commander from Strixhaven. Between this and my Tergrid ('s Lantern) deck, I'm becoming mainstream. Cringe.

But much like Tergrid, I'm determined to use the other half of the card everyone is so fired up about. In this case, that'll be the front side. Let's get magecrafting!

So Extus is a pretty solid body as a 2 power double-striker with an unboltable butt, and thus makes a decent voltron commander, but his other ability seems at odds with that - voltron doesn't trigger magecraft, nor does it generally run many creatures to recur, and 2-power, Mardu Rafiq of the Many isn't exactly thrilling in 2021. So how do?

My plan is basically 2-fold

First, run instant and sorcery pumps to buff and protect Extus in lieu of equipment. This should hopefully minimize his threat level while enabling us to spike sudden death upon people. As Extus also triggers off interaction, we'll have plenty of space for that too, while we look for an opening.

The second part is how to use creatures without really have much interest in keeping creatures on our board, and there's a lot of good options on that front. Mechanic-wise, we've got:

Cycling
Evoke
Channel
Bloodrush
Adventure (needs sac outlet)
Sac abilities
The Fleshbag Marauder family
etbs/ltbs (needs sac outlet)

So here's where we come to a crossroads, because depending how we go, the deck could work in vastly different ways. Intuitively, we want a lot fewer creatures than spells (I'm going to use spells as shorthand for instants + sorceries), because every spell could recur the same creature over and over, provided we can easily bin it for value. Additional creatures don't really provide extra value so much as extra options (and occasionally value if we cast a storm spell or something where the ability requires multiple targets simultaneously). Of course we still want a reasonable density so we're likely to have something to recur at all times - probably on the order of 15-20. So we could go for all the best cards from each category to give ourselves maximum diversity of options, or we could focus on some subset to synergize more strongly with that mechanic. For example, Fluctuator is amazing with cycling, but nothing else. Grave Pact is great with evoke, sac abilities, etc but not with cycling, channel, or bloodrush. And if we want to go with adventures and/or etb effects, we'll need a decent number of sac outlets - lands alone may not be enough. or may overburden us with colorless mana. And then there's some randos like Faerie Macabre that defy categorization.

This is where I'm a little stuck. I'm kinda leaning towards cycling, since cycling has some of the strongest synergy, as well as a lot of synergy within the cycling cards themselves, and is basically always good value whereas Embereth Shieldbreaker // Battle Display isn't necessarily going to be useful all the time. But on the other hand, fleshy can be pretty devastating when looped, as can Shriekmaw, Night Incarnate, etc. So I haven't quite settled yet. I've got a big stack of 45 or so creatures that are all awesome and it's hard to cut any of them tbh.
Last edited by DirkGently 2 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Dunadain
I like turtles
Answers: 2
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Dunadain » 2 years ago

My instinct is to just pick the cream of the crop, keeping your commander alive is hard enough without having mini objectives like keep a sac outlet on the battlefield.

Adventures seen particularly convoluted, you'll need to call the spell, then the creature, then sac the creature, then cast another spell to return it to your hand. Plus most of the adventures aren't too exciting.

There are 11 cycling creatures in these colors that have a cycling of one and 5 of them are 1 colorless. Maybe it would be better to look at the actual cards but I think I'd rather they just be cheap to cycle.

Throw in the fleshbag family and the best evoke options and that probably will be enough I think you'll only need one or two targets (until your gy gets exiled) especially if you have a cycling card.

My concern isn't so much with creature options, creature options abound, my concern is with the spells, does mardu have a bunch of pump spells I've never heard of? Genuine question.
All cards are bad if you try hard enough.

Important decks: Ebondeath, Dracolich, Emiel, The Blessed, Phelddagriff
Other: Ruhan, Zask, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Help me complete my JumpStart Cube!

DirkGently

The nice thing about adventures is that they give you a spell trigger, which no other creatures do (I guess mdfcs can...the only ones that work are Selfless Glyphweaver // Deadly Vanity and Wandering Archaic // Explore the Vastlands, and the latter sucks as a spell. Glyph weaver rocks though!). But anyway, probably more trouble than they're worth.

I think the real question is y/n to fluctuator, and I think it's yes. All you need is one colourless cycler and you're killing it. Tutors help a lot on both sides.

For other mechanics, just the very best. Not sure about Selfless Savior and the like. They are efficient protection.

We get all of feather's pump spells, plus a few black options. I particularly like Bedeck // Bedazzle and Nameless Inversion since they're good removal or pumps as the case may be.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

nobody

Post by nobody » 2 years ago

since we are in white how about False Prophet ]]?

DirkGently

False Prophet is kinda tricky since (1) we don't really want to run sac outlets, which makes it a lot worse, and (2) it's hard for Extus to live through it - it's basically just slow blink effects. I prefer stuff like Cataclysmic Gearhulk since it easily puts itself in the grave, and also makes it easy for Extus to live through it. And destroy wipes let Extus at least go indestructible through them.

We should probably include some Liliana's Triumph to clean up what remains from our all-but-one board wipes though.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

DirkGently

Finished the decklist and gave it a few plays. To be honest, it was pretty awful. There's way too many moving parts, between trying to set up things to make cycling valuable, and then also trying to find a voltron kill, which also needs protection, and the whole thing is just spread super thin so you rarely have what you need. Plus there's not enough lands, and I'm an idiot and put in a prismatic vista with no basics, oops. Cyclers are a waste of time anyway, only the creatures really matter imo. Would have been interesting to get cycling engines actually going, but I never really did. Overall, I think Jeskai just does it better, with better payoffs and more options.

Oh well, worth a try. 2/5.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”