Ambassador Blorpityblorpboop gets into a sticky situation

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional
Pronoun: he / him

Post by DirkGently » 1 year ago

Imo there's basically only 3 non-acorn commanders from unfinity worth thinking about. Myra the Magnificent turns into a time magic deck. Magar of the Magic Strings turns into a infinite combat steps deck. So let's see what's behind door number three...

Ambassador Blorpityblorpboop :thinking:

Stickers are a bit hard-up for a decent commander. Only the uncommons care about them, excluding Solaflora, Intergalactic Icon since she's acorn (and probably more effective with other types of modification anyway). Angelic Harold is crap (and only cares about name stickers). Roxi, Publicist to the Stars is crap (and only cares about art stickers). Tusk and Whiskers is the designated ability sticker commander, but it's so unbelievably slow that it boggles the imagination.

So it's Ambassador Blorpityblorpbloop. He's kinda expensive and his secondary ability is pretty meh, but he gets the job done.

I think the build looks pretty straightforward. You want AB into play ASAP - luckily you're in green, so 1-drop ramp into 3-drop ramp is pretty reliable for t3 deployment. After that, he'll need some help to get more stickers, so you're probably looking at blink - luckily, you're also in blue. Graveyard recursion doesn't work unless it's directly to play (otherwise we lose the stickers) and there's not a lot of direct-to-play reanimation in these colors - and bounce doesn't work at all for obvious reasons - so we're probably focusing on blink.

After that, I see two main directions for the remaining cards: other voltron pieces (auras, equipment) or other control pieces (removal, counterspells). Personally I favor the second option because (1) have you met me? and (2) I think it's pretty easy for equipment to outclass stickers and render them subordinate, which would be a shame.

So the breakdown will probably look something like:

1 Commander
20 Ramp
20 Blink (if we can find it)
9 Counters
10 Removal
40 Lands

Looking through blink effects, I could see a modification that uses a bunch of tutors to find the strong repeatable blink effects like Thassa, Deep-Dwelling and Displacer Kitten rather than a bunch of 1-shot blink.

But forget the details, let's focus on the fun bit: What stickers are we going to use? (note: I'll be printing off slips of paper rather than using actual stickers, and I won't bother with the name/art stickers - take your comedic whimsy and cram it, Maro, all I care about is cold hard mechanics)

A big limitation here is the number of sheets available. We only have 3 sheets, which means only 6 ability stickers. 6 p/t stickers too, but that's probably pretty irrelevant. I guess we can put p/t stickers onto random mana dorks to enable AB's secondary ability, but mostly we're pretty tapped out after 6 ability stickers and 1 p/t sticker. So we'd certainly prefer each sheet have 2 useful stickers instead of just 1. P/T we mostly just need one really good one to put on AB - if we do put more on mana dorks, they all follow rules about total p/t vs sticker cost, so nothing is really THAT much better than anything else in terms of efficiency.

Anyway, here's my top picks. Asterisks next to my current top 10.

Eldrazi Guacamole Tightrope|Token|15513 - haste is potentially quite nice, especially in concert with casting from grave. Crap p/t options though, and doesn't really make him stronger as an attacker, just more durable.
Trendy Circus Pirate|Token|15520* - Deathouch is pretty useless, but squirrellink is very strong. 5/1 is bad but at least it's cheap, if you only had 2 tickets, so nice to throw onto a dork.
Night Brushwagg Ringmaster|Token|15516* - menace is okay, and persist is quite nice for durability and etbs. That 10/10 is the icing on the cake, I really like this one.
Urza's Dark Cannonball|Token|15305* - unblockable, +2/+2, and 7/4 is a pretty decent "kill people ASAP" package.
Misunderstood Trapeze Elf|Token|15521 - the buff ability could be good, and hexproof is obviously really nice durability. 6/6 is okay, nothing special but serviceable.
Zombie Cheese Magician|Token|15522* - Shockingly strong package here - first strike pairs great with 6/2, which also pairs nicely with the draw trigger (which is the big payoff here).
Carnival Elephant Meteor|Token|15523 - sac to draw 2 is nicer than it looks I think, since you can force it into the CZ to retrigger the etb, and protect it from bounce that could screw us over, plus it's good value. Proliferate is probably mostly useless unfortunately. 8/7 is very nice, though.
Happy Dead Squirrel|Token|15306 - this one is purely for infect, really.
Slimy Burrito Illusion|Token|15524* - Double strike is obviously the main focus here, but bushido 2 isn't nothing I guess.
Unsanctioned Ancient Juggler|Token|15528* - another keyword focus, this time indestructible, though it pairs nicely with a slow builder like bolster. Although bolster will probably end up hitting random mana elves. Chump blocking ftw? 5/4 is cheap and okay.
Deep-Fried Plague Myr|Token|15529* - ltb is obviously nice for a blink deck, and the attack trigger is better than nothing. 8/4 is a great, efficient stat option.
Goblin Coward Parade|Token|15532 - another strong ltb control piece. mentor is useless, but 8/4 is great again. I know I said no art stickers, but I may make an exception for the #1 pilot mug.
Phyrexian Midway Bamboozle|Token|15514* - undying rules, and the attack trigger is nice to have as well. 6/9 is okay.
Eternal Acrobat Toast|Token|15533 - I don't like this one, but thought it was worth mentioning because it looks synergistic. But I don't think we want to dedicate an entire sticker sheet to getting more stickers, we'd only have 4 stickers left to actually DO something.
Snazzy Aether Homunculus|Token|15540* - changeling is useless, but the magecraft ability is suuuper strong. 8/7 is excellent too.
Cool Fluffy Loxodon|Token|15542 - draw ltb is synergistic, and the 13/13 is nice if we have a mana dork to enable. The regular stat stickers suck, though.
Yawgmoth Merfolk Soul|Token|15548* - Two ltbs on one card? And they're both good? Pretty meh stat stickers but I still like this one a lot.
Vampire Champion Fury|Token|15553 - I might be overvaluing it, but I really like the option to sac and blow up a bunch of stuff. Trash stat stickers, though, and hellbent is pretty marginal (though nice if you happen to end up hellbent for some reason I guess).

EDIT: decklist up
Ambassador Blorpityblorpboop

Commander (1)

Approximate Total Cost:

Last edited by DirkGently 1 year ago, edited 4 times in total.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

darrenhabib
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by darrenhabib » 1 year ago

I've adjusted my Feather, the Redeemed deck to have a stickers theme because I noticed all the Leaves the Battlefield stickers and the deck already had a heavy blink theme.

I was looking at combos in general with stickers and here a few ideas.
Eternal Scourge and Misthollow Griffin can be cast from exile and if you start putting the LTB effects on them then you can get recursive value. Add Food Chain for infinite LTB and thus infinite stickers with Ambassador Blorpityblorpbloop.

Aetherling is nice to put the LTB stickers onto.
There are others that require more conditions Argent Sphinx, Nezahal, Primal Tide.

Undying works nice with Walking Ballista, Crystalline Crawler, Grim Poppet, Triskelion, Spike Feeder.
Also with Persist which there are 12 in BG with Glen Elendra Archmage being the highlight.

Persist obviously goes with Undying but there is no self contained combos within the BG creatures. So for example there is Young Wolf, etc and you could attach Persist sticker to it, but then you need another enabler like Food Chain. You can just do a value train of putting a LTB sticker and threaten to block, etc for value.

Anything with infect is pretty nasty with sticker stats so Blighted Agent could be worth it.
I'm not sure what the interactions is with Inkmoth Nexus and sticker stats as the activation says becomes a 1/1. Rules people?
Cool Fluffy Loxodon|Token|15542 looks better with infect and the LTB is very good.

Eternal Acrobat Toast|Token|15533 "untap another permanent" has combo potential with Basalt Monolith, Grim Monolith and untapping Chromatic Orrery.
There is also Horseshoe Crab, Simic Ragworm, Soliton that can be combined with anything that provides two mana as long as one is u. Things like Bloom Tender, Selvala, Heart of the Wilds, Nyx Lotus.
With Displacer Kitten, Chromatic Orrery becomes much better and then there is also Coveted Jewel. If you attach LTB stickers to Coveted Jewel and use Displacer Kitten to keep LTB it, busted.

Any of the draw equal to power cards are good with Ambassador Blorpityblorpbloop power boost. Greater Good, Return of the Wildspeaker, Garruk, Primal Hunter, Rishkar's Expertise being the better ones.

Eldrazi Guacamole Tightrope|Token|15513 has combo potential with zero cost cards. So you could attach a LTB sticker to Walking Ballista or Lotus Petal for example and get the effects for as much life as you're willing to lose. Add Aetherflux Reservoir for a win.
Of note Giant Mana Cake|Token|15539 LTB of making Food tokens means that you could get infinite with Lion's Eye Diamond and Eldrazi Guacamole Tightrope|Token|15513. Lotus Petal cast twice gives you 2 mana which is enough to sac a Food so you'd lose 1 life per twice you cast it which isn't infinite but if you're going for the additional sticker LTB effect then it's just another avenue.

DirkGently

@darrenhabib The existence of sticker combos is interesting (Unassuming Gelatinous Serpent|Token|15549 gets my vote for most combo-tastic), but the inherent unreliability of them seems like it'd be pretty challenging. Especially since most of them are pretty complicated even if you get the right sticker sheet.

I don't think any of them really fit into what I'm doing with this particular deck at any rate. The main thing I want to focus on for this build is giving AB permanent upgrades, similar to building up a Mairsil, the Pretender but less reliable (and broken). Using him just to get a sticker for an unrelated combo seems against the spirit of the deck, plus many of those stickers don't work well to target him with, and I'd need to run heavy tutors to reliably put together the combo if I happen to get the right stickers. Nah, this deck is all about the variance of building a voltron out of stickers. I'm probably going to keep tutors to a minimum.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

DirkGently

Decklist up!
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

DirkGently

Played it a couple times last night. Won the first game but partly because people were being dumb. Probably lost the second but I had to go anyway.

Biggest issue is evasion. Guy gets huge and has lots of spicy abilities, but without urza's dark cannonball you don't have a lot of options for getting around things. For reference, here are all the unused stickers that can grant evasion of some type:
I'm real nervous about any of the even/odd protections since they disable a lot of our blink stuff. Even is more useful since it prevents tokens from blocking, but it also turns off some of our best blink engines like thassa and blink cat.

jetpack death seltzer is real mediocre, but trample is very good for this sort of situation, given how large our boy can get, so it might be a necessary evil. However, the monstrosity is probably a total loss.

ancestral hotdog minotaur is pretty much a loss on the afflict. At least the 8/6 is ok.

wrinkly monkey shenanigans might be worth it, since both sides are ok. The -1/-1s sound bad but I think it's still easily worth it, especially since we blink pretty frequently.

I really can't believe how god-awful sassy gremlin blood is. I mean the 2 sticker is ok, but why on earth does the other sticker cost 5? In CLB we had that 2/1 flyer for 3 with the same ability. 5 tickets can get you a massive stat sticker or something truly game-changing, why on earth would you pay 5 stickers for this trash? It does come with the 10/10 sticker, but I don't think I can bring myself to use such an awful card.

notorious sliver war is hard to get a bead on, but I think it's generally good at preventing blocking from real creatures and less good at preventing blocking from tokens, which is kind of the point. the other ability sticker sucks, but 9/6 is a great stat sticker.

vampire champion fury is a bit awkward as "evasion", but it can kill swathes of blockers fairly quickly in a pinch.

trained blessed mind has a nice stat boost with evasion, and some okay stat stickers. the exile ability feels rarely worth it, though.

Overall I think we probably want 3 evasion stickers at least? Most of them are pretty bad so I don't want to overcommit, but 3 feels about right. Especially since we've got menace already from night brushwagg ringmaster, which is weak evasion and an okay fallback.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Dunadain
I like turtles
Answers: 2
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Dunadain » 1 year ago

Considering unless you make eight of your sticker sheets have evasion, you're not getting to get any in any given game. I wouldn't waste any of your sticker sheets on evasion, and instead use regular cards to grant evasion.

Whispersilk Cloak, Wings of Hubris, Manifold Key etc.
All cards are bad if you try hard enough.

Important decks: Ebondeath, Dracolich, Emiel, The Blessed, Phelddagriff
Other: Ruhan, Zask, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Help me complete my JumpStart Cube!

DirkGently

Very important note I forgot to mention - I'm not entirely sure how p/t stickers work with stacking. Specifically, there's this ruling:
123.8. A power and toughness sticker is a sticker that has two numbers and a slash printed on it, resembling the power and toughness of a creature card. A power and toughness sticker on a creature or on a creature or Vehicle card in a zone other than the battlefield sets that object's power and toughness to the values printed on that sticker (see rule 613.4b). If more than one power and toughness sticker is on a creature, use timestamp order to determine which one takes precedence (see rule 613.7).
Which implies that you can have multiple p/t stickers on a single permanent. Yes, one takes precedence, but AB only cares about the total stats of stickers, not stickered permanents, when determining his p/t using his second ability. But then we've got Maro seemingly contradicting this in a blog post:
clowngirled asked:

Could I stack all my p/t stickers on a Darksteel Relic in order to keep them safe from removal in an Ambassador Blorpityblorpboop deck?

You could put one. The second one would replace the first.
I'm not sure how he means "replace", because the official ruling doesn't say anything about putting the sticker back onto the sheet or anything like that, and the sticker is still there, just like if you have multiple base p/t-setting effects on a creature, they're both still there, it's just that one is being overridden. To me this SEEMS like Maro is used to being the un-rules guru, which is fine and well for non-legal cards, but he doesn't have any jurisdiction over legal ones - and this ruling feels like an intuitive one, rather than one based on rules information. But it is a very direct answer to the question so without a contradicting answer from a more legitimate source it seems wrong to dismiss it.

If anyone has further insight on this, I'd really appreciate it.

@Dunadain That is definitely the stronger way to build the deck, but once I start introducing auras and equipment it quickly makes stickers look pretty ineffective I suspect. And then I'm just playing a normal voltron deck, which is pretty boring. So my rule is that I can't use anything except stickers to make my commander more powerful.

Saying that, I guess Okina, Temple to the Grandfathers breaks this rule but whatever. I guess I could take it out.

As far as the evasion problem, I don't think guaranteeing evasion is necessary. Not every deck can generate chump blockers easily, board wipes could clear them out while leaving my commander alive with indestructible/persist/undying, and of course I'm not personally obligated to kill every opponent. Do I auto-lose in a game where I'm down to 1 opponent, I didn't get an evasion sticker, they can efficiently produce chump blockers, and I don't have a way to get through after wiping the board? Probably, but that's okay. I'm not going to make my sticker value overall much weaker just to hedge against a very niche situation. I think 3 dedicated evasion stickers gives me good enough odds to hit an evasion sticker without compromising the overall strength TOO much.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

DirkGently

I might be the only one who cares, but this quote:
Ambassador Blorpityblorpboop counts all power and toughness stickers on all permanents you control, even if those power and toughness stickers don't currently have any effect (possibly because you placed another power and toughness sticker on the same creature).
from the release notes:

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/a ... 2022-10-07

Confirms my suspicions that Maro was wrong about the interaction.

So that probably means the best play will be to load up the stickers onto AB himself in most circumstances. Especially since any creature you control with a sticker that goes to the graveyard or exile will keep that sticker permanently inaccessible. Probably not the end of the world to lose one sticker, but it would also be a waste of tickets and etb value, that you could have kept if you'd put the sticker onto AB instead.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

DirkGently

Okay, few more games tonight, and I think I might take it apart. At the end of the day, straight voltron just never ends up being as much fun as I want it to be, because people generally over-threat-assess voltron in my experience. So a lot games end with either getting pounded into the dirt by the table, or the commander eating constant removal. If you actually get off the ground, it's probably because nobody had any answers.

I do think the evasion package ended up being pretty good. I put in wrinkly monkey shenanigans and notorious sliver war in place of snazzy aether homonculus and deep-friend plague myr. Seemed like a significant improvement.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

PrimevalCommander

Post by PrimevalCommander » 1 year ago

DirkGently wrote:
1 year ago
I do think the evasion package ended up being pretty good. I put in wrinkly monkey shenanigans and notorious sliver war in place of snazzy aether homonculus and deep-friend plague myr. Seemed like a significant improvement.
This sentence is so much shenanigans I cannot believe this is an actual sentence describing MTG. Weird, weird time haha.

And yes, Voltron decks tend to set of players threat alarm like someone pulled a fire alarm in their brain. Can't say I'm immune to it, but it is a more telegraphed win than other strategies. So players see it coming and know what it is killing them.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”