Cosima, God of the Voyage - MUC OTK [decklist up]

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional
Pronoun: he / him

Post by DirkGently » 3 years ago

EDIT: after some work, here's my version of the deck:
Cosima MUCOTK (pronounced muck-aught-cah I guess)

Commander (1)

Approximate Total Cost:

I opted to omit extra turns in the deck, since Magosi seems funner and still potentially pretty strong with Rings of Brighthearth. Walk the Aeons is very on-theme but it's also such a drag to play against so eh. I went pretty heavy on theft, as a way to neutralize enemy commanders and just generally keeping people busy while Cosima is ticking up.

The thing that bothers me the most is how low the basic count is, considering the heavy focus on fetches, but then again it should be plenty to get to 21 power off pure fetches so maybe it doesn't really matter. It'd take a million to get Cosima to 21 twice, so if she does get killed in a freak accident I guess you'd have to win the slow way. There's an infinite combo with magosi, rings, and deserted temple, so you can chip in eventually for the kill if you can assemble that. But for the most part, you should be protecting Cosima easily, you're drawing 19+ cards AS she etbs, she's got free flash and essentially uncounterability when re-entering, so if you can't protect her then idk wtf happened but I think you might suck at magic?

Original post:

I like the new God design, but I think the one that I can most easily visualize as an interesting deck is Cosima, God of the Voyage. Specifically, what appeals to me about her is that after a single setup turn, she's basically impossible to interact with, and equally impossible to stop reentering and drawing cards at will. While she's mono-color, she's in the best mono-color for control as well, and a durable, powerful wincon is a huge benefit for a control deck.

So the game plan I can visualize here is pretty straightforward - play Cosima, exile her ASAP, and then play the game as a normal draw-go control deck, ideally keeping a fetchland available at all times just in case, to crack and draw a ton of gas. Obviously run as many decent fetches as possible (yes, including panoramas) to get double triggers every turn, if possible. Assuming she doesn't need to get cracked early, though, the plan would be to dump her to play EOT when she's a lethal attacker, draw a million cards to protect her, and then use either a way to remove blockers (cyc rift) or push her through them (rogue's passage) to instantly knock people out of the game with a massive, heavily-protected commander. Then, depending on the version of the deck and how dickish it wants to be, play an extra turn effect(s) and kill the rest of the table without giving anyone else a turn, or just rest on your trove of answers/protection and kill them one at a time.

I really like the omenkeel side of her, but I can't think of a good way to use it as a commander. If it was white, I'd just run it as a durable commander in a boardwipe deck, but in blue I can't think of anything really, there's only a couple wipes and they're pretty much all bounce-wipes. You could play a bunch of other vehicles to trigger the ability, but idk what the point would be, you're still only playing 1 land per turn, and they're not great lands since they'll vanish if the player dies. Could see it slotting into the 99 somewhere maybe, but as far as building a deck around it, I'm drawing a blank.
Last edited by DirkGently 3 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Toshi
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Post by Toshi » 3 years ago

Aside from (pseudo) fetches, proliferate engines could be quite powerful with her.
Flux Channeler and Inexorable Tide being obvious ones,

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 3 years ago

You can't proliferate cards in exile afaik (it's not a permanent it's a permanent card)

Ruiner

Post by Ruiner » 3 years ago

Roil Elemental seems like a likely include just due to the landfall aspect.

It is probably too convoluted, but there is always the option to play the Omenkeel side of the commander, then use Sculpting Steel or Phyrexian Metamorph or something like that to copy it, killing the original and then you can replay the commander as a creature to have both in play. The vehicle does potentially help out the creature side. This may be a little too goofy to actually work though.

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 3 years ago

Playing draw go control with her seems like it makes a lot of sense; it's very resilient. Basically I'd look at a Jace, Vryn's Prodigy // Jace, Telepath Unbound list and see how that plays because it's not going to be super different except having bigger card draw turns and needing to play a higher ratio of lands to ensure always hitting.

I think some of the few artifact land enablers are likely worth playing, though maybe not all:
That kinda stuff.

Being mono blue you mostly wind up just wanting to jam all the best blue cards. I do think it's a Cryptic Command and Mystic Confluence deck, and probably even a Summary Dismissal deck since you don't wanna get wrecked by Eldrazi triggers.

You probably have to dig down toward Aetherspouts level of interaction.

I'd likely run Scroll Rack as well so if you draw and whiff out a little you can potentially rack away 10 cards and redraw, and also be able to miracle Devastation Tide which is a nice benefit.

I think I'd likely play the miracle Temporal Mastery as well just because it gets you an extra land drop for 1U most of the time in the mid game - exiling Rampant Growth as it were, and can also win the game without going full ham on time magic. Obviously Walk the Aeons is a nonsensical closer with this commander and I would personally play it. But I think that's where I stop on time magic.

While it's tempting to think about staxy cards like Overburden I think you'd be better off running just a really high ratio of instant speed interaction to stave people off vs. committing permanents to the board.

I do think this is an Academy Ruins / Oblivion Stone deck most likely, since you're going to struggle to answer planeswalkers in particular otherwise.

DirkGently

Decklist up in the OP.

Went with a theft-heavy, otherwise permanent-light version with no time spells. So the bones are very similar to Phelddagrif tbh, except less political and hopefully better at closing out the game. And with worse removal since it's mono-blue, but still pretty solid tbh.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

umtiger
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by umtiger » 3 years ago

Imagine the satisfaction of casting a turn 20 stifle on an opponent's maze of ith for the win.

DirkGently

Played a couple games tonight and won both. First game was 4p, after one player was eliminated I stumbled into the infinite turns combo with Magosi and won off that. Second game was 3p, I was able to tick Cosima all the way to 19 off crucible + rings, then cyc rift for an easy one-hit kill on each player.

Curve seems a bit high to compete against cEDH, but as long as nobody is going to combo out in the early turns, it plays pretty much how you'd want. I am dubious that the results will be quite as good against more experienced opponents, though, since they were still throwing incidental hate at each other even as Cosima got into double-digit counters. Kinda doubt that card-advantage-blindness will be so exploitable in most games. At the end of the day, it's very similar to Phelddagrif ofc, but what can I say...Phelddagrif is kinda my thing.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”