Jeska/Falthis/Obosh infect - Death Comes on Swift (Fuzzy Widdle) Paws

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional
Pronoun: he / him

Post by DirkGently » 3 years ago

Do you wish to bathe in the blood of your enemies? Or are you a cat person? If you answered yes to either of these questions, this deck is for you.

I'm genuinely shocked how few decks there are for this partner combination considering how absurdly nasty it is. Falthis and Jeska are a match made in the deepest pits of hell. Falthis' deathtouch means Jeska can -1 to kill three creatures, or her other ability can triple Falthis' evasive damage for rapid commander damage kills even without any support. It's seriously gross.

Like most companions post-nerf (obligatory %$#% you to wotc who should have made the nerf only apply to their %$#% boring tournament constructed formats instead of ruining the fun for commander and draft where companions were awesome), Obosh is almost certainly not worth it, but he's definitely hilarious in combination with Jeska, which can multiply the damage of a creature by a total of 6x. This makes it quite easy to pull off one-hit-kills, especially with commander or infect damage, which is a major theme of this deck.

Besides finding lethal damage, this version has a planeswalker subtheme to grind out value in slower games, while defending them with the falthis/jeska combo. It's also pretty heavy on mana, because there's so much gas guaranteed from the three commanders.

So far I've played a 4-player and a 1v1 and it handily took both, although only one of the opposing decks was particularly threatening (which I replayed in the 1v1). But I do think this combination has potential legs, maybe even in a competitive sense. It really is quite oppressive in the right position, and can kill people out of nowhere. I'd bet that cutting Obosh would probably make that even more true by allowing cards like mana crypt, lightning greaves, and additional infect creatures - though obosh is the more fun direction imo.
Jesalthosh
Approximate Total Cost:

Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

darrenhabib
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by darrenhabib » 3 years ago

I love it.

Vector Asp has infect. Tainted Strike can give a creature infect.

Toggo, Goblin Weaponsmith in the 99 should be great value. Falthis, Shadowcat Familiar can throw lethal Rocks.

Mayhem Devil with Obosh deals 2 damage per sac.

Phyrexian Arena and Necropotence for card draw.
Also Stromkirk Occultist and Azra Oddsmaker are just solid creatures for potential card advantages.

Vandalblast, Fire Covenant, Subterranean Tremors for removal.

For just good beaters..
Doom Whisperer has trample so can come in for 36 triple+double damage.
Greven, Predator Captain can easily go in for more than 40 damage with triple+double and has menace and gives you card draw potentially.

Trying to get your infect creatures in for damage is one of your main goals so thinking about ways to make them push in the red zone more.
Shadowspear can give trample and also unlocks any pesky hexproof and indestructible for you Jeskai+Falthis combo of killing creatures.
War Cadence can really catch people by surprise or just shut them out of using their mana efficiently.

I'd personally swap Chaos Warp for Karn Liberated as a catchall. Just for more competitive games where people do win with combos the instant speed is necessary.

Reanimate and Kolaghan's Command for getting back Obosh or any creature.

Proliferate has the double advantage of putting loyalty counters on Jeska, Thrice Reborn giving more poison counters.
Karn's Bastion would normally be fairly mana intensive thing to do but if you just spend your turns killing off your opponents creatures with the Jeska+Falthis combo and applying more poison counters then this is a real plan.

Easy cuts in my mind are Fireshrieker, Champion's Helm, Oath of Liliana.

I like your Sarkhan the Masterless to make Jeska, Thrice Reborn into a 4/4 and then she gives herself triple damage for 12 flying menace and then 24 with Obosh for lethal. Flying+menace=unblockable most games.

capitacommunist
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by capitacommunist » 3 years ago

Nighthawk Scavenger would seem to be pretty good here, and better than some of the other beaters you are playing. Skirk Prospector and Simian Spirit Guide would seem to be on the weaker side - are they strong enough to be worth playing? If they are you could also play Rite of Flame.

With regards to equipment, I'm wondering if it's worth playing some of the cheaper to equip ones, Grafted Wargear immediately springs to mind. Assault Strobe also seems like it could help you with a quick kill.

DirkGently

I've played the deck a decent number of times, and it can be absolutely brutal. There's a few changes I'd probably make though:

planeswalkers are kinda meh. Mostly they seem kinda counter to the main goal of fast kills. I've repeatedly ulted pws only for it to be basically meaningless because I get the kill that turn or the next.

The non-evasive infectors might be too weak. Idk, probably requires more testing but I haven't been blown away unless I have a way to enhance them.

skittles is the bomb.com. Easiest 1-hit-KO of all time.

Obosh is almost certainly not worth it. That !##@@# tax is so brutal for a fast deck like this.

I have killed multiple people with jeska commander damage. It was sweet AF. I used Demonic Embrace instead of obosh, though.

@darrenhabib

I left out vector asp because 1 damage infect is a lot slower than 2. At 2, with obosh + jeska it's a 1-hit KO. With just jeska, it's 2 hits. With a 1-power infector, it's 2 hits with obosh and jeska, and an agonizing 4 with just jeska. Plus the activation mana. If I was running more equipment maybe. Less sure on tainted strike, it might be worth it.

subterranean tremors seems counterproductive with all my weenie bois. Removal mostly seems unnecessary anyway - removal is for people who can't kill their opponents on turn 4.

5+ cost beaters without haste...meh. Too slow imo.

toggo seems ok with infectors but idk that I have enough to make it good. That's the only thing that seems terribly exciting, there are easier ways to ping off dudes with DT (mostly jeska, obv).

mayhem doesn't really synergize with anything here.

this deck is too fast for arena I think. Necro is probably decent but %$#% necro.

War cadence seems inefficient when I'm just trying to punch through with 1 creature usually. Equipment should almost always be cheaper to use and more reliable.

You're definitely right about switching karn for warp. Karn hasn't really done much more than warp would have done, at a way steeper cost.

shadowspear...maybe, seems kinda niche though. Feel like I'd rather have, idk, Bonesplitter or something to get my damage to lethal ASAP.

reanimate might be worth it, it's a bit slow though. Honestly most games don't last long enough for me to get obosh, cast him, have him die, and then want to recur him. But getting back enemy creatures might be worth it sometimes.

I do think proliferate with infect might be worthwhile as a slow-game plan, having on a land isn't bad either. But I'm already kinda glutted with colorless lands tbh.

fireshrieker definitely gets cut. Not as sure about the other two, haven't drawn them much. If I reduce PWs though, lilianas is probably cut. Having protection on falthis makes the combo a lot more reliable though.

@capitacommunist

maybe on nighthawk, but I'm skeptical. This deck wants to get lethal ASAP, I'm not sure it grows fast enough.

I opted out on rite of flame when compared to SSG because:
-it can't be a creature (SSG can crack for up to 12 if there's nothing better to do, or hold swords etc).
-it requires red mana to start (this can be a major problem for casting falthis on turn 2 if, for example, I have a RB hybrid and a colorless land).
-sorcery only instead of instant.

Not a fan of grafted wargear since it's so vulnerable to removal. Assault strobe is ok but I think I'd rather have stuff like Brute Force and Titan's Strength - in most cases, it's more power, with better flexibility too. If I do go to the trouble to upgrade this deck, most likely I'll put in more cheap buff spells to get nice snappy kills. Reckless Charge has been amazing, more like it would be A+.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Hawk
Slayer of Threads

Post by Hawk » 3 years ago

You beat me to it, but I find this inspiring indeed. I'm still in the brainstorming phase (also, Jeska is still in the mail) but a few things I'm mulling over:

- Protection is good on Falthis, but I think Trample and First Strike are also very good when combined with Deathtouch. I look forward to trying Sword of Vengeance and Shadowspear and wonder if they have a spot here.
- I'm also weighing carefully the power of "surprise" boosts to OTK with Falthis "out of nowhere". I noticed you have Wrecking Ogre, but I'm looking at going even deeper - Uncaged Fury, Balduvian Rage, Hatred, even Titan's Strength are all on my radar. Probably most notable and crucial is Tainted Strike though. I also am pondering Screaming Fury which isn't an instant, but is just enough to blackjack someone out of the game with no other support.
- You have some big bois as beaters, but you don't have my favorite I've found sifting through cards - Lightning Skelemental. "Take 18 and discard your hand" sounds pretty awesome :).
- It's probably too slow for your very aggro, very violent build, but I find Thrilling Encore to be pretty spicy in theory. Jeska + Falthis is already an awesome removal machinegun - but turning it into a super thievery effect just sounds fun.

DirkGently

Lol, I bet Screaming Fury never expected to get played in commander.

Trample seems ok with a big buff, but considering how the tripling works, something like shadowspear seems meh. If they're blocking falthis, that's already absorbing 2 damage, so unless he's getting extra buffs you trample for 1x3=3? Big whoop.

Shinka, the Bloodsoaked Keep is easily my favorite FS enabler. It's free real estate, baby.

Hatred seems like overkill, I think the cheap pumps will work better. I've won games off the ogre, but 5 mana is a lot. Frequently you want to recast jeska for the triple damage to get the kill so mana is tight.

Not sure I follow on skelemental. Sure, it hits for 18 (though again, the nature of tripling works against you if they can block any of it), but unless they've only got 2 cards, why would they discard their hand?

Yeah, encore is probably too slow. Plus, y'know, smart players won't just dump out 3 good creatures into an obvious kill. At a minimum you'd need to recast either jeska or falthis that turn, which will probably take up most of your mana.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Hawk
Slayer of Threads

Post by Hawk » 3 years ago

Darn, I confused Skelemental with Dreamstealer. That's disappointing :(.

Yeah, Hatred is probably too slow. I hadn't considered Reckless Charge and that seems like a good add instead.

Here's hoping I have a spare Shinka somewhere...gonna have to dig around.

Gyr0o

Post by Gyr0o » 1 year ago

Hi! How did the deck age, please? Could you post the updated decklist, please? Have you kept Obosh despite the CMC tax? Does it give constant results, or is it "everything or nothing", how aggro decks in other formats sometimes are?
I love the idea, I just have to make sure it's both powerful (seems to be) and rakdosish-fun, as I'm almost new to EDH. Thank you for any advice!

Hawk
Slayer of Threads

Post by Hawk » 1 year ago

Gyr0o wrote:
1 year ago
Hi! How did the deck age, please? Could you post the updated decklist, please? Have you kept Obosh despite the CMC tax? Does it give constant results, or is it "everything or nothing", how aggro decks in other formats sometimes are?
I love the idea, I just have to make sure it's both powerful (seems to be) and rakdosish-fun, as I'm almost new to EDH. Thank you for any advice!
I'll let Dirk answer for himself, but my take on the deck got played a few times (3 or 4 games) and has moldered since then. I'm brewing Syrix to take its place as our Rakdos commander. The deck has a few problems:

1. If you are in a slower, friendly playgroup like mine this deck just struggles generally - it has to be incredibly violent to win, and it does big scary things that draw a ton of aggro and attention. While it can hold things off with Jeska/Falthis machine-gunning threats down, it can't handle being an archenemy, but it also can't handle being more of a slow-roll turtle deck. It just ended up feeling unfun, as it's a bit like Yuriko, the Tiger's Shadow - the deck either ends the game quickly and leaves everyone else unsatisfied, or it kills one threat and then dies on the crackback (while still making the game quite short for at least one and probably all players).

2. Following-up on all the above, this deck is very "all or nothing". You either get a great draw that lets you voltron someone out on turn 5 or so and start high-rolling from there, or you stall out. Sometimes enemies have all the answers and you can't take off; other times you get close to or even kill a target but then get stone-walled when you can't draw any more gas. The deck ends up needing to run a ton of cards that are explosive early but dead late, or explosive late but dead early - so like most "combo-y" decks, it is prone to drawing the wrong parts of the deck and sputtering.

3. Obosh, the Preypiercer adds absolutely nothing to the deck; the nerf to the companion mechanic really killed him. At 5 MV he was an interesting idea to end games and close out close matches; at effectively 8 MV (3 to "draw" him, and then 5 to cast him) he has been used in zero games. His drawbacks don't remotely make up for his benefits, and the most effective version of this deck likely cuts him and runs even-cost cards to help curve/ramp out or add more redundancy and reliability.

DirkGently

Post by DirkGently » 1 year ago

Gyr0o wrote:
1 year ago
Hi! Unfortunately for people looking for an up-to-date, constantly tweaked and tuned decklist, I'm really not the guy you want to talk to. I build the vast majority of my decks to play a couple of times, get bored, disassemble them, and build something else. As my increasingly absurd signature can attest to. So I only played this deck a handful of times, over a year ago.

That said, from my recollection, I mostly agree with Hawk. Being able to murder 3 creatures every turn is an awesome power and also one that's often more likely to draw ire than help you actually win. This deck was fun 1v1 but often ended up creating tedious games in multiplayer. The coolest part was always seeing people realize what this deck was when I nuked their board on turn 4, after that it was usually either swift death or a bit of a slog.

The nerf to companion really hurt. I'm still pissed off about that tbh. WotC created an awesome mechanic and then "fixed" it in the stupidest way imaginable. Don't even get me started, honestly.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”