Uro loam control

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional
Pronoun: he / him

Post by DirkGently » 4 years ago

I love the design of the Titans, but hadn't had a good thought on how to use them besides tedious cycling spells and fetches. Don't ask me why, when I use loam in so many decks.

Dredge is the obvious thing to fuel graves, but loam really kicks things into high gear with cycling lands. Unfortunately we have limited options - a total of 7, of which 5 cost 2 to cycle.

Luckily we don't need to massively fuel the grave - just top it off when we're short for casting uro.

As far as getting the engine going - intuition is the clear way to go. To get there, we've got mystical, scroll, and drift. And to get those, we've got personal, sylvan, worldly, muddle, dizzy, and spellseeker. And if you're asking "would you really tutor for a tutor for a tutor?" The answer is yes, and get alllll the way off my back about it.

After we've got a draw engine and a repeatable threat, ramp, and life gain generator, it seems to me the best way to move forward is with a control deck to support it (I mean, you could go landfall or something but...it's me. I build control decks compulsively). Tutors we're good to go on, so now I'd probably focus on removal and counters, and whatever wipes we can get. Maybe a little recursion, since we can dredge into good stuff.

Finally, nexus of fate seems like a good fallback if we go too hard for too long.

Ok I guess I kinda built the whole deck. Oops. Well if you've got any suggestions lmk.

EDIT: ok, here's my current decklist. This is built off what I have with me at the moment, which is my commander cube, a stack of my most valuable cards, some cards I borrowed from Phelddagrif, and then a few proxies for the stuff that are absolutely crucial to the deck.
Uro Loam Control

Commander (1)

Other Value (3)

Approximate Total Cost:

Last edited by DirkGently 4 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Tags:

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 4 years ago

My draft of it was oath of druids control-ish, with some of the loam engine and such. I didn't do intuition because I feel like you can just focus on milling into it.

Not your garden variety nonsense graveyard abuse deck, since it can even beat rest in peace by just oathing into a consecrated sphinx or something dumb like that, and you can just go ahead and darw a billion cards by sac'ing Uro to momentous fall

Here's the basic skeleton if you're interested in my take:

https://deckbox.org/sets/2565014

darrenhabib
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by darrenhabib » 4 years ago

I've been playing a ton of the escape mechanic with Polukranos, Unchained.
I have Life from the Loam as well, but Golgari Grave-Troll is the better engine for fueling your graveyard.

Survival of the Fittest is great with this, tutoring Golgari Grave-Troll to put it into your yard. Plus it allows you to stock it up with more cards if you have available green mana.

You want to make use of the 6/6 body and the draw cards to creatures power are all great with the Titans; Life's Legacy, Momentous Fall, Return of the Wildspeaker, Soul's Majesty, Rishkar's Expertise, Garruk, Primal Hunter.
I find that with all the draw you get to discard the Golgari Grave-Troll due to hand size, so this is how you can get it back into your graveyard efficiently.

Probably the biggest take-away I can give you is don't mix too much graveyard recursion with the escape mechanic, because you do end up exiling most of your cards.
Just because you have dredge in your deck you might think that other cards like Seasons Past or Dig through Time go hand-in-hand, but actually it's the opposite. Be resigned to the fact that your graveyard is purely for your commander.

Touching back on Life from the Loam, it is hard to get too much traction as you never want to exile your cyclers/fetchlands to Uro escape ability, so it will take some work to fuel your graveyard. I've done this a few times, and you find yourself returning 2-3 lands anyway that you dredged 3, so it's kind of 2 steps forward 1 step back.

DirkGently

[mention]pokken[/mention]

I did see your list, but felt it was too different from mine to mention in the same thread without either disrupting it or getting swallowed.

In this deck's case, the solution to RIP is countering or removing it.

[mention]darrenhabib[/mention]

I think polukranos probably plays subtly differently since you're looking to recur him more often, most likely, since he naturally kills himself. Plus a bigger escape cost, and different colours.

I prefer to see the deck as creature-light and control-heavy - and uro rewards lands in hand - so I think loam is the better fit here. Uro will likely be the only creature in the deck, so survival doesn't work. Plus it's way harder to tutor in UG even if I wanted to. I'd need some really convoluted tutor chains.

Uro has built-in CA (as does loam) so I think big draw becomes redundant. Plus he's only 6. Way less exciting than 12. Momentous fall is functionally 8 mana draw 6...meh?

I think the build you're suggesting makes way more sense in polukranos, where survival is tutorable, your commander needs more recasting, you have weaker control tools, you lack built-in draw, and your commander has more power. For Uro imo loam looks like the way to go.

If I'm wrong, though, then I'm still going loam because I just like it more. Lol. Plus I think it's more durable vs grave hate since the cyclers are built into the engine.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Crazy Monkey
Arcane Themes

Post by Crazy Monkey » 4 years ago

I am adding Uyo to a Chulane deck that never intends to escape, and plan to use words of wind between the triggers or equilibrium to dodge the sacrifice trigger. Mine is definitely not a control deck, so I don't know how useful those synergies may be.
Commander Decks

Kemba | Kytheon | Talrand | Unesh | Teferi | Geth | primer Zada | Krenko | Torbran | Patron Orochi | Ghalta | Gargos | Medomai | The Count | Xenagos | Nikya | Jaheira, Artisan | Trostani | Athreos | Jarad | Ivy | Nin | Krark & Sakashima | Feather | Osgir | Gisela | Roon | Chulane | Sydri | Ertai | Mairsil | Vial & Malcolm | Prossh | Marath | Marisi | Syr Gwyn | Riku | Riku | Animar | Ghave | Tasigur | Muldrotha | Rayami | Zedruu | Yidris | Kynaios & Tiro | Saskia | Tymna & Kydele | Atraxa | Akiri & Silas | Sisay | Ur Dragon | Bridge | Horde | Najeela | Genju | Traxos

DirkGently

Ooh, interesting idea. Unfortunately equilibrium doesn't work with Uro, but words does. Probably worth a slot as an alt wincon, albeit a pricey one. Eot rift into bounce bounce bounce bounce sounds pretty funny.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Crazy Monkey
Arcane Themes

In my case, I am running Whitemane lion and other similar creatures, and forgot that those might not work for you. I should have said that earlier.
Commander Decks

Kemba | Kytheon | Talrand | Unesh | Teferi | Geth | primer Zada | Krenko | Torbran | Patron Orochi | Ghalta | Gargos | Medomai | The Count | Xenagos | Nikya | Jaheira, Artisan | Trostani | Athreos | Jarad | Ivy | Nin | Krark & Sakashima | Feather | Osgir | Gisela | Roon | Chulane | Sydri | Ertai | Mairsil | Vial & Malcolm | Prossh | Marath | Marisi | Syr Gwyn | Riku | Riku | Animar | Ghave | Tasigur | Muldrotha | Rayami | Zedruu | Yidris | Kynaios & Tiro | Saskia | Tymna & Kydele | Atraxa | Akiri & Silas | Sisay | Ur Dragon | Bridge | Horde | Najeela | Genju | Traxos

DirkGently

Wait, so you're paying 6 for a repeatable explore? Seems expensive. I guess you do get a 1-mana unsummon if you want it each cycle, though.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Crazy Monkey
Arcane Themes

Well, my main engine is Chulane with self bounce creatures that cost 2 or less and 65+ lands to generate large noninfinite loops. Whitemane lion and equilibrium with Uyo is pay 6 to draw and play 3 lands per loop. 1 cost reduction breaks even and Aluren generates mana. oboro breezecaller helps generate mana with lands that tap for 2 or more.

Words of wind with Uyo costs 4 to put 2 lands in play and draw a card. It's not as efficient as shrieking drake, but it's more redundancy.
Commander Decks

WolfWhoWanders

Post by WolfWhoWanders » 4 years ago

I've been toying around with this idea a lot. At first I was going to do dumb sea monster stuff but have been leaning intoa control shell more. I broke most of my control decks because the regular group tends to dislike it.... Playing at an lgs recently makes me want one again tho. So far I'm just trying to get him into play without escape early game as often as I can. Erratic portal, shards, lifeline, love the words of wind idea. Then start escaping him mid game. I want to use mirror of fate in the end game but am having brain farts when it comes to good simic "Doomsday piles". Maybe something with thassas oracle? I dunno. Your ridiculous tutor chain amuses me, lately I've been on a no tutor kick trying to reduce deck consistency but I might try that silly %$#% out. I can't see myself trying to keep this deck for long anyway...
Responds well to spells and abilities

DirkGently

[mention]Crazy Monkey[/mention]

But if you've got out chulane, couldn't you just cycle the lion 3 times for the same effect anyway? I guess it gives you more mana flexibility. Eh, guess it doesn't really matter. Words seems like a good inclusion, at any rate.

[mention]WolfWhoWanders[/mention]

The deck as envisioned I think will want intuition enough to justify the tutoring nonsense. Setting yourself up with both good cycling lands and loam in one spell is really strong, especially since our commander will make loam really good - both by letting us play more lands that we've recurred, and by ramping our ability to play loam more times per turn.

It probably makes sense to have other strong endpoints for tutor chains that give some more oomph in the late-game. At first I was thinking praetor's council, but that doesn't make much sense with Uro wrecking our own grave all the time.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

WolfWhoWanders

[mention]DirkGently[/mention]

You don't have to make a very hard case for intuition or loam, they both do exactly what you want to do here which is fill the yard and play lands. The harder part for me is figuring out how to close the game out. Commander damage? Seems rough. Not having access to much more than bounce wipes... None of which help much for spamming uro. I'm not about to make a food chain deck obviously, so what does that leave us with if we want to be creature light? Helix Pinnacle? Lab man? I'm not excited too much by that.

WolfWhoWanders

I like the idea of simic Doomsday, just want to come up with something more interesting than a lab man win

DirkGently

I was looking at commander damage. He's a 6/6, there are lots of ways to make him a 3-hit KO. And you could easily run stuff like rogue's passage if you're worried about evasion. Plus if you mill your deck, you've got nexus.

Mirror/lab man seem fragile to me. You're planning to mill yourself a lot and neither of those is going to be easy to recur without a lot of dedicated recursion pieces. I guess you could flashback shuffle them into your deck again? Nexus can't be milled, and if you dredge your deck away you just win, no concerns about things getting milled or exiled.

Plus I just don't really like either of those cards tbh. Cards that exist only to win the game and otherwise do nothing are not my cuppa. So it's possible (maybe even probable) that I'm biased. Mirror seems REALLY fragile to me though, if you're counting on specific things getting milled and then exiled you'd have to mill a lot of your deck. And at that point, nexus seems way simpler and more reliable.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

WolfWhoWanders

I started throwing a pile of stuff together, I agree on the lab man win cons and scratched them early. Nexus was always bound to be in there, too good of a fail safe to not include in a deck like this. I've been liking the idea of words of wind a lot too. Also not ruling mirror of fate out either. If anything it's a nice way to stack some cards into your deck for when your top decking Nexus every turn. Getting an academy ruins in play shouldn't be hard and would give you multiple mirror activations. If for some reason your yard was nuked too you can get some key pieces back. Riftsweeper could help protect some stuff too. This could be an interesting deck to just cast the great Aurora an arbitrarily large amount of times lol. Doubt that's too many peoples cup of tea though.

WolfWhoWanders

Maybe I can finally use paradigm shift

WolfWhoWanders

Some engines I've thought of are trade routes/mystic sanctuary/field of the dead. Some clutch counterspells and removal... Only premium stuff. Archaeomancer and riptide lab can be handy, venser can come to play too. A lot of my strategies are reliant on playing lots and lots of early ramp to set some of these ridiculous engines up. Looking at a minimum 40 lands probably. Since I'm gonna go full on tutor for tutors kinda consistent I may just try to pull off the great Aurora idea... At least once anyway. Aurora even once would be sick with 20 to 30 lands, no deck and a field of the dead

DirkGently

Hmm, good point about academy ruins, that is a plausible way to get it back. Still kinda risky vs grave hate, but I guess if you're on the intuition → loam + ruins + ??? plan then you're set up to snatch mirror ASAP if it hits the grave. Still not my thing, but live your crazy dreams.

Paradigm shift is a card that, once every couple years, I think "hang on...is that card insanely busted? What does it do exactly again?" and then I read it and I'm like "oh, right, yeah that's kind of a piece of crap." lol. But I guess if your goal is to exile your deck quickly I suppose it does a good job.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

WolfWhoWanders

Probably be better off trying to use copy artifact/mirrormade/metamorph/impersonator to get double mirror of fate activations (rather than paradigm shift). The way I'm imagining this work, it shouldn't matter too much even if mirror did get exiled. Between oboro, maybe ghost town?, trade routes and field of the dead the field should be able to put in enough work to at least help us survive the mid game until uro can start reliably swinging. Using board bounces repeatedly could work too. In the end there is always Nexus to fall back on

DirkGently

Threw together a list (had to use some proxies because moving) and tried it out tonight. Had an amazing start - mox diamond to merchant scroll for intuition t1, uro, then next turn start loaming immediately...it was pretty sick. Unfortunately the other decks were mostly pretty budgety (mine was using my tabernacle, #noshame), with a barely-upgraded anje, janky [whatever that UW pony is, rainbow sparkle or whatever idgaf], and 75%-ish Jarad. Uro ate removal after removal after counterspell after removal, coming back over and over and over and...idk, I don't love strongarming other people's threat assessment too much, but...Look, Uro is a powerful card, no question, but he does NOT win the game single-handedly. Unless he's coming at you, I really don't see it being worth using removal on him tbh. Especially since - as established - he just comes back over and over. I don't think hardly a turn went by where he wants in play at my endstep, despite dying at least 6+ times.

Anyway, Jarad I think basically decided he needed to kill me first, and the other two players mostly dicked around and did not much although they targeted me occasionally - definitely more often than Jarad, despite the fact that Jarad was actually threatening lethal whereas I was just threatening to be a control player. So the game dragged, and dragged, and dragged, until finally (with some assistance from my opponents milling me as well) I got to the singularity and looped nexus for the win. The Jarad guy never even really seriously tried for the win, apparently he was so scared I'd have another "counter target triggered ability" to stop a big Jarad activation (I didn't, although I did have removal).

So mostly it a big tedious grind, which I guess is what I expected/feared. I personally think threat assessment was all off, but in fairness I did win, and I was also prancing around with a deck worth probably close to 5 figures, so maybe it's fair. Might try it again but ugh...I'm tired. Think I might go catch a movie or something.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

DirkGently

Gave it a few more games tonight, both ended in infinite turns victories for me. First one was a 5P game that dragged on a long time and I just went through my whole deck and finally won. The second game ended because one guy played mesmeric orb which milled me out pretty quickly so I could go infinite turns.

Nexus of fate really is a pretty stupid card. I mean, I hate lab man but nexus is basically the same thing except you can't hardly interact with it. Pretty dumb. I was kinda hoping I'd get some wins the old fashioned way, but people just didn't want to kill each other.

Last game was a bit more interesting because I only had exactly 14 mana on board, because it happened so fast, and I'd exiled loam to force of vigor (needed to kill some "additional draw on draw step" cards so I didn't die to them). Since Uro forces a draw on attacks, and he's my only way to win, I had to cast nexus twice per turn. But several opponents could actually kill Uro on blocks...so what I had to do was trade, then next turn draw nexus, cast nexus, play uro from grave, draw nexus, go to next turn...then cast nexus on upkeep, draw nexus, cast nexus, don't attack, go to next turn, and then bam, I'm reset and can keep attacking.

Ofc, even if I hadn't been able to do that, I could have stacked up extra turns and then cast commit // memory from the grave, but I'd be without my loam so it'd be a lot tougher. Anyway, mistakes were made, but it worked out.

Same opinion though, really. It's pretty strong but kinda boring. Undefeated though, 3 victories in 3 4-player pods.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”