Ayula, Queen Among Bears (minus the bears)

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional
Pronoun: he / him

Post by DirkGently » 4 years ago

UPDATE: List posted!

So far it's gone well. Won a 4-person game and some 1v1s at the weekly commander group. The Voltron part mostly feels like a way to stay in the game and keep the cards flowing, but hoo boy if I manage to stick one of my premium bear-machines the game can get out of control in a hurry.

In the 4-player, after a long grindy match, I landed a bearscape with ~15 mana, tons of cards in the grave, doubling season, and a fresh helm of the host. Go to combat, helm triggers, I now have 3 ayulas. Hold priority, start making bears. Each activation makes 2 bears which give a total of 8 counters (or 2 fights). Turn ayula into a lethal threat, kill every enemy creature on board, dish out ~80 damage for a double kill to finish off the game.

Interestingly I can't help but feel the deck wouldn't mind some of the crappy vanilla bears. It would help justify some of the cards like hardened scales and metallic mimic. But idk that I want to actually acquire them just for this one deck, my collection is getting pretty bloated as-is. Maybe if I stop fully sleeving everything, idk.
Ayula, Queen Among Bear Tokens

Commander (1)

Approximate Total Cost:

I'm not much for tribal decks, but I do like the flexibility, power, and low cost Ayula provides.

There's just one problem. Bears are, uh...garbage.

I've played against a couple Ayula decks and it basically always plays out in the exact same way. First, Ayula hits the board early and starts dropping pretty big power pretty quickly. Maybe kills some stuff. Looks big and threatening, everyone is freaking out. Then a board wipe or something happens that disrupts her. And then Ayula...exists. Charitably speaking.

On EDHrec, grizzly bears holds an incredible 96% inclusion rate for Ayula. Cards with a higher inclusion rate for any commander are few and far between.

I suspect that might be root of the problem. Even as a functional 4/4 for 2, we're not really "doing EDH" with a 4/4 for 2. And most Ayula decks aren't just packing grizzly bears - they're packing all the craptastic functional reprints, along with other mediocre bears, all of which are terrible topdecks at most points in the game.

There are 21 non-changeling bears in commander, and they're nearly all mediocre piles of stats with, if they're lucky, some mediocre keywords stacked on top. There's really only 3 that merit any interest at all: Goreclaw, Terror of Qal Sisma (not so synergistic with other bears), Mother Bear (otherwise mediocre but good with Ayula) and werebear. Ashcoat bear gets a minor mention as a fight spell with flash could be ok disruption tech, though other cards do this much better.

Ok, so forget all the normal bears - what are we supposed to do now?

The problem with bears is that they don't really provide any sustainability. A 4/4 for 2 is a fine rate, but it runs you out of gas in a hurry. We want something with a bit more reach. So the two biggest, most obvious synergy cards for Ayula are bearscape and Ayula's influence - and to a lesser extent, words of wilding. Any of these not only give us a nearly unlimited number of bears, but they also provide them at instant speed (well, -ish for words). Unfortunately, there aren't many enchantment tutors to be found in mono-green. So we'll need to draw for them. Luckily, draw works perfectly with all three as it provides fodder once we draw them.

Ok, so a bunch of draw, and these enchantments. What else?

We'll want a decent amount of recursion, I think, in case our enchantments end up in the grave. Along with that, I think we may as well run some dredge tech, which can fuel bearscape, and loam in particular can fuel influence. We could also run Genesis to recur our few actual bears in case we want to recast them.

Finally, since Ayula is a perfectly fine 2/2 for 2, which fits nicely into a lot of equipment curves, I think she'd do well to wield some weaponry...maybe a sword or two, jitte, etc, while she waits for the bear-pocalypse to come online. Plus then, once we hit one of them, we could potentially crap out a half-dozen bears in one turn and start one-shotting people.

Ok, that might be too many ideas. Anyway, I'm going to start throwing something together, any thoughts?
Last edited by DirkGently 4 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

lvg
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by lvg » 4 years ago

The dredge route makes a lot of sense. Many of the cards that dig for enchantments in green also self mill. Rofellos's gift is a great way to recur your enchantments. If you dredge hard enough any recursion spell will get closer and closer to being a demonic tutor.

You could potentially also pair this with an enchantress theme? Enchantress draw fuels dredging.

DirkGently

You're reading my mind lol. Having gone through the cards, I see a couple ways this could focus:

Primarily voltron, using Ayula as basically a slightly more expensive isamaru but with some sick tech cards that make bears and turn her into an explosive control weapon.

Dredge focus, using dredge and recursion to find and fuel the bear enchantments

Enchantress focus, using enchantresses as a conduit for card draw that synergizes with our primary three bear-creators being enchantments

Enchantress I will say has a fairly limited selection of synergies. The only good ones I found were:
If I've missed something let me know. So that's not a great start. But on the other hand, there are a lot of good enchantments that might find their way in regardless, in which case that might justify including these cards anyway.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

lyonhaert
Answers: 4
Pronoun: they / them

Post by lyonhaert » 4 years ago

I hadn't yet considered the dredge or enchantress directions, but after playing a more typical Ayula several times it did become apparent that voltron was more effective. My friend had 4 creatures (a 5/5 and three 9/9s). I took them all out with a 10/10 Ayula after making her indestructible and playing a couple bears with doubled triggers.

So I've been planning on rebuilding with a flicker/recasting engine (possibly including Cloudstone Curio), Doubling Season, indestructibility, hexproof, etc. Basically pack the deck with powerful support, creature tutors, and a handful of actual bears.

Edit: I was also going for creature cast/etb draw triggers and some anthems (to help in general and turn on Elemental Bond, which didn't always work out).
Chainer bbb
"Image"
(rebuild after Geth)
Other
r Lathliss
bw Breena
To-Build Pool
rb Obosh Burn
gw Dromoka

lvg

Post by lvg » 4 years ago

I don't think it really matters that there aren't to many more enchantress type effects. Don't think you really need more as all but 1 are creatures and should be easily tutor able in green. The more important question is how many enchantments are worth running besides the bear producers.

Dredge/graveyard theme seems like a slam dunk though given the way bearscape and ayula's influence are fueled.

Voltron seems like a good bet also as with the tokens you are going wide already.

rogerandover

Post by rogerandover » 4 years ago

Obviously you need Bear Umbra.

You could also ramp via enchantments. Arbor Elf can be pretty good here.

darrenhabib

Post by darrenhabib » 4 years ago

With Ayula's influence you obviously want to fill your hand with as many lands as possible.

Creeping Renaissance is going to be the main way to get a big turn naming lands after you've filled your graveyard.

The main plan should be to get Golgari Grave-Troll or Life from the Loam going.
Use Ash Barrens, Blasted Landscape, Desert of the Indomitable, Slippery Karst, Tranquil Thicket to keep using Life from the Loam and still get draw for your turn.

Nylea's Intervention to fill your hand with lands.

Groundskeeper is a nice way of recycling lands.

Hermit Druid is just going to be a mini-dredge (probably because high number of basics) but also puts a land into your hand.

Nissa's Triumph with some Nissas, just because they are great cards anyway. Nissa, Vastwood Seer, Nissa, Vital Force, Nissa, Voice of Zendikar, Nissa, Who Shakes the World, Nissa, Worldwaker.

Yavimaya Elder is the perfect creature to keep refueling your hand with lands. Look for Genesis to keep buying it back and sacrificing it.

Realms Uncharted, Thaumatic Compass, Journeyer's Kite, Multani, Yavimaya's Avatar, Winding Way, Realm Seekers, Glacial Revelation.

Scapeshift is going to be great with Creeping Renaissance and get you some utility lands.

Drawing cards for each Bear/creature you have seems like a plan, as you do need to discard lands (resources) so want to get ahead;
Collective Unconscious, Freyalise, Llanowar's Fury, Inspiring Call, Ohran Frostfang, Regal Force, Shamanic Revelation, Slate of Ancestry.

Rather than just trying to beat down with Bears (boring), I like the angle of making lands creatures and using the Bears to fight them.
Living Plane, Nature's Revolt, Kamahl, Fist of Krosa.
This helps against creature light decks, and hexproof stuff. It also puts opponents into a conundrum of if they play creature board wipes, its going to be an Armageddon as well and with all the land search cards in the deck, you'll be well happy with that happening.
Sylvan Advocate to give your lands a buff.

You are going to want to have plenty of ways of getting cards back from the graveyard when aiming for the dredge plan.
Eternal Witness, Seasons Past, Greenwarden of Murasa, Nostalgic Dreams, Wildest Dreams.
Holistic Wisdom combined with getting back say Grizzly Fate each turn.

The +1/+1 counters stuff I think should be included are; Evolution Sage, Rishkar, Peema Renegade.

Because there are so many land searches you should maximize on utility lands.

DirkGently

I don't want to overcomplicate this deck. I think ultimately I'm going to want to pick one or two angles to shoot from, and let the others wither.

As much as I suggested dredge, at this point I'm less enthused than most of you seem to be. For starters, we've only got half the dredge cards, and only two of them (GGT and LFTL) are any good, frankly. LFTL is my fave, but it's essentially untutorable in mono-green afaik. GGT is powerful, tutorable, and does a good job of setting up bearscape, but it has basically no synergy with the other two bear-generators. I could use it as a way to "draw" a land of cards, using recursion to pull out the enchantments I'm looking for, but that seems like a lot of setup. How do I get GGT back in the yard to dredge, anyway? So idk, dredge seems like a lot of moving parts. LFTL is almost guaranteed in the deck because (1) it's just good, and (2) it works great with ayula's influence as well as bearscape. And I may as well run some cycling lands, they don't cost much to run. Creeping Renaissance is very possible, especially if I end up with a lot of enchantments in the deck. But I'm pretty skeptical of GGT, or going big on dredge synergy, at this point.

The more straightfoward approach, I think, is going to be trying to capitalize on green's best draw as a way to get for the enchantments, plus draw fuels all three of the bear-makers in some way or another. A lot of green's better draw spells care about your highest power, and a lot of good colorless draw engines are equipment, so I think the voltron approach has a lot of merit, plus it still works okay even if you never find one of the enchantments. And while stuff like groundskeeper is sweet with one of the enchantments in particular, because it's a pretty low chance that I'll be able to find any given enchantment in a game, I'm probably going to avoid that sort of thing. HD might be cool since he fuels 2/3 of them, though.

I'm not sure about the draw = creatures stuff, we'll see how the list shakes out. It's in my draw pile, but the piles are pretty big at the moment, and that one in particular. I probably don't want to use that stuff if it's only good when I already have one of my bear-makers going ham - I'm not a fan of win-more cards - but if it's at least decent without them (i.e. I have a decent number of utility dorks) then they're a lot more likely to make the cut.

Land-fighting is cute but probably too complicated. If I'm going voltron, I could probably just start 1-shotting people more easily than clearing their lands. The fight utility is still relevant for providing control against combos and such, but I think if I'm triggering it 15+ times I could probably be doing something more productive with my triggers.

I do tend to like land searches, but we'll see how my utility land piles look. I haven't dug into lands yet. Off the top of my head, Yavimaya hollow is great for voltron, but idk that I'll go too deep on them when an extra piece of equipment would probably work better.

Hey, armored bears. Got kind of a golden compass thing going on. Neat.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

darrenhabib

Post by darrenhabib » 4 years ago

DirkGently wrote:
4 years ago
GGT is powerful, tutorable, and does a good job of setting up bearscape, but it has basically no synergy with the other two bear-generators. I could use it as a way to "draw" a land of cards, using recursion to pull out the enchantments I'm looking for, but that seems like a lot of setup. How do I get GGT back in the yard to dredge, anyway?
Survival of the Fittest and Fauna Shaman.
Slate of Ancestry, Geier Reach Sanitarium, Vivien's Arkbow, Bag of Holding.

I guess the point is that mono-green can't search for Life from the Loam or Bearscape, Ayula's influence or Words of Wilding.
So you use your graveyard as a resource to give you more ways to access your deck.
As long as you have Creeping Renaissance then you can feel comfortable about milling yourself as you can flashback naming enchantments to get the Bear related enchantments.

Words of Wilding is basically a combo with Greater Good. For each 1 you can produce a 4/4 Bear.
The trick is to sacrifice a 4/4 and stack up the replacement effects so you create say 4 more Bears, and you'll end up probably discarding your hand.
But now you can sacrifice Bears and keep at least one card in hand from each one. You've also filtered lots of cards into your graveyard which is going to help the GGT & LFTL plan.

Bearscape can also be used with Greater Good. Because you draw 4 and discard 3 cards, you'll always have fuel to keep removing cards.

lyonhaert
Answers: 4
Pronoun: they / them

Post by lyonhaert » 4 years ago

Since voltron is my plan, too, I'd been looking at "draw for power" rather than "draw for number of creatures". I like those ideas for Greater Good, but had also been looking at Return of the Wildspeaker, Rishkar's Expertise, Garruk, Primal Hunter, etc.
Chainer bbb
"Image"
(rebuild after Geth)
Other
r Lathliss
bw Breena
To-Build Pool
rb Obosh Burn
gw Dromoka

DirkGently

@darrenhabib

It was a rhetorical question, I know there are discard outlets available. I'm just saying it's a lot of setup to make it work, and it's ultimately pretty fragile. I'd rather have a strat with more durability that isn't so all-in on trying to get one of those enchantments.

I had set aside GG, but thinking about it further that card is definitely insane here, maybe too insane for me to want to run tbh.

Bearscape is probably the tamest, assume you don't have a huge grave to start with it basically becomes : make 2 2/2 bears, draw 8 exile 6.

With words of wilding it becomes : make 3 4/4 bears (or an 8/8 and 2 2/2s), as long as you don't mind discarding your hand...then pile all the counters onto one bear and draw a ton, leaving you with a massive board of bears and a whole lot of cards. Or if you want to keep your hand, you can pay to cycle 3 cards. And while you're doing that, for every 1 extra you spend, you get a 2/2 and draw an extra card each time you cycle.

Ayula's Influence is definitely the scariest and the reason I'm leaning away from running it. You discard a land to make a 4/4, sac that 4/4 to draw 4, one of which is probably a land. So it basically gives you unlimited filtering through your deck, and as long as you had some cards in hand you can filter for more lands, then make bigger bears to give you more draw. I don't think you're likely to be able to make enough bears to just straight-up win, I think you'll end up with ~10 if you go all the way through your deck. But you'll also have filtered every card in your hand, and your hand will be huge, so...yeah. Pretty hard to lose.

I've got an in-progress version of the deck at this point - tbh I ended up going pretty light on the power=draw effects, focusing more on reliable draw like sylvan library, tome of legends etc. I worry that the big draw=power stuff is likely to not do enough unless I already have a bear-maker online.

That said, I think there's probably a pretty reasonable version of this deck that uses the normal crappy vanilla bears alongside the bear-makers, and uses those bears to fuel the draw=power and draw=creatures spells. I don't have all the vanilla bears in my collection, though, so I'm leaning more towards a voltron/draw/bear-maker build.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

DirkGently

I posted my list. Ran it at the weekly commander event and it did quite well. Still room for improvement but I'm already dreaming of the next list if I'm being honest.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

WolfWhoWanders

Post by WolfWhoWanders » 4 years ago

DirkGently wrote:
4 years ago
I posted my list. Ran it at the weekly commander event and it did quite well. Still room for improvement but I'm already dreaming of the next list if I'm being honest.
Such is the way of the restless brewer. Seems like a fun build though.
Responds well to spells and abilities

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”