Synthesis Pod brew

Dunadain
I like turtles
Answers: 2
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Dunadain » 4 months ago

Dunadain wrote:
1 year ago
I want to build a deck around Synthesis Pod and Eternal Scourge/Misthollow Griffin/Squee, the Immortal.
I wrote this almost a year ago and then completely forgot about it. For some reason i was scrolling my history and saw this comment again and figured: why not? It's a neat engine and there's even been quite a bit of support printed for something like this in the Doctor who decks.

So, to get started, I just made a couple scryfall searches and compiled all the cards that even sort of synergize with this engine:

Well, I think it's pretty clear that the deck is going to be base , I don't think Squee, the Immortal is required for the deck, but a lot of the pay-offs are red anyways, so might as well. seems to be the next best, can give us access to more tutors, and is a color that exists, but ideally, we should be +

So let's evaluate commanders:

Arcum Dagsson: Has no synergy with the engine, but can tutor up Synthesis Pod in the first place. However, we'd still need an artifact creature to trade in for Synthesis Pod so it's not like we get those tutor slots back, they just need to be filled with artifact creatures instead. Besides, we'll still need to tutor for Misthollow Griffin and co. so we'd be running a bunch of tutors anyways.

Edgin, Larcenous Lutenist: since Synthesis Pod + Misthollow Griffin will be 2 spells, we are pretty much guaranteed to trigger Edgin on our turn, but the payoff is small potatoes and the first ability is more or less irrelevant.

Mizzix, Replica Rider: would be the best choice no questions asked if she didn't have that pesky Heat Shimmer modifier. WOTC are cowards =(. Still, we can double anything juicy the opponent flips up as well.

Osgood, Operation Double: being mono is really holding her back, She provides CA and mana, but the CA is kind of redundant if the plan is to get most/all of our value from Synthesis Pod. If we play her we'll definitely need to include some bounce spells to get more copies of her, and some payoffs for having a bunch of clue tokens.

The Thirteenth Doctor: We could use a companion to get R, so that's not a concern, but the +1/+1 counter and untap abilities don't really synergyze with what we are doing anyways.

The Twelfth Doctor: well, we can make an army of Misthollow Griffins, but our opponents get an army too. Which is honestly probably totally fine, you can gang up on people with them, or just spread them out.

Vega, the Watcher: Again, more CA is a bit redundant, not having to pay additional mana to draw that cards is appealing, but might as well be mono .

Vhal, Candlekeep Researcher: might be my favorite, an extra a turn isn't anything wild, but it should make it a lot easier to continue spinning the Synthesis Pod while also casting the actual cards in our hand as well. She could be paired with Passionate Archaeologist if we want , or we could go with Noble Heritage, and include a bunch of artifact un-tappers, so we can spin the Synthesis Pod more and more times each turn.

I'd say the finalists are:

1: Mizzix, Replica Rider
2: The Twelfth Doctor
3: Vhal, Candlekeep Researcher + Passionate Archaeologist
4: Vhal, Candlekeep Researcher + Noble Heritage

I'm not sure yet which one to pick so I'm going to stew on it for a while.

And I'm back, I reread Synthesis Pod and realized the cards from your opponents libraries first go to exile and THEN are cast, this means Passionate Archaeologist will be dealing 9 damage each spin instead of 4 like I originally thought, so I'm going with contestant 4. Mizzix, Replica Rider would be my second choice I think.

Tutors
The only reason I'm willing to try to make this deck work is because of Manipulate Fate. 2 mana cantripping for all three of our from-exile creatures at once. The idea is to have a couple artifact tutors alongside Manipulate Fate then a metric ton of tutors that can tutor for either of those tutors. Makes sense?
Decklist
Approximate Total Cost:

I miss black already XD. Our opponents decks better have some sweet cards, cause ours are garbage. Obviously, we don't HAVE to run all of these, but the fact that we need not one, but TWO tutors means we probably should, I checked it in a hyer-geometric calculator, and even all of them is still a little light.

Reckless Handling and Gamble are, well, a gamble, but if we're going to build are deck around one artifact we'll need artifact recursion anyways, so I think that's ok.

Graveyard Hate Tech
A while ago I saw a Legacy brew built around Rest in Peace, their was some lock involved with it, plus it's just a hateful permanent against a lot of the format, but one thing it did which I thought was really cool, was include a couple copies of Misthollow Griffin, when you have a Rest in Peace they are functionally immortal.

We obviously can't run RIP, but we probably should run a couple cards to make sure we can get our cast-from-exile creatures back into exile if they somehow find their way into our GY:
Decklist
Approximate Total Cost:

Should be more then enough. However bad this deck ends up being, at least we'll be pretty good against GY decks XD.

I think that about covers it, the rest is just an ungodly amount of ramp and card-draw/filtering to somehow make this more consistent I'll start putting all these pieces together, but if anyone has some other effects/cards that would fit here, let me know.
All cards are bad if you try hard enough.

Important decks: Ebondeath, Dracolich, Emiel, The Blessed, Phelddagriff
Other: Ruhan, Zask, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Help me complete my JumpStart Cube!

darrenhabib

Post by darrenhabib » 4 months ago

So the goal of the deck is to cast 4 and 5 cards from your opponents decks.
Unfortunately you'll come to realize how incredible narrow this will play out given that those cards are not going to synergies with anything else most of the time, if even you'll cast some given context of game state.

I like the Vhal, Candlekeep Researcher + Passionate Archaeologist at least has a plan outside of random hits.
Virtue of Courage // Embereth Blaze exiling 9 cards with the setup is good and Vhal can pay for the colorless portion.

Underworld Breach and Past in Flames are good with Vhal cost reduction. Making the deck into a Brain Freeze + Breach deck I'm sure isn't the goal, but with cards that exile from graveyard having a self mill strategy could be worth it as a way to get access to Misthollow Griffin, etc. Increasing Confusion and Summons of Saruman can support this idea.
A few delve cards can be used as a way to ensure access to your Eternal Scourge/Misthollow Griffin as well in mill situations.

Otherwise I think Vega, the Watcher is decent as a way to draw 2 cards with the engine as a Commander.

Dunadain
I like turtles

darrenhabib wrote:
4 months ago
Unfortunately you'll come to realize how incredible narrow this will play out given that those cards are not going to synergies with anything else most of the time, if even you'll cast some given context of game state.
Well yeah

You didn't think this was going to be good did you? XD

Other: Ruhan, Zask, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Dunadain
I like turtles

Well, here's what I came up with: https://www.moxfield.com/decks/yI5VeTFDak6kSZuXpdLB7Q

I'm too lazy to convert it to Nexus format w/ tags rn, lol.

Just goldfishing, it looks to be able to pretty consistently set up and spin the engine for the first time on turn 5-6. Which is pretty bad, but about what I was expecting. Now to see if I can manage to pull off a win with it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”