Mono-White Otharri, Sun's Glory Solos the Table

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional
Pronoun: he / him

Post by DirkGently » 1 year ago

I found myself drawn to Otharri, Suns' Glory, but it took me a while to figure out why. But I think what it is, is that he can do everything on his own - he's got evasion, he naturally grows over time in a way that can't be undone, he protects himself, he gives you defenders and life...he's kinda the whole package.

So the concept for this deck is basically have Otharri as the only wincon, with no support. The entire rest of the deck is pure control. I kept the permanent count as low as I plausibly could, to reduce target surface and threat profile. We'll see how effective that is when Otharri is constantly getting more dangerous though.

One minor wrinkle worth mentioning is that I have a fairly strong focus on grave hate. This is because it's a backup plan to get Otharri out of the grave if someone cruelly kills my rebels before they have a chance to resurrect my commander.

Oh also I've basically got it mono-white at the moment because I'm pretty sure there are at most a handful of red cards I'd want to use so I haven't gone though my red collection. If you think there's something great I should put in lmk. I guess Lightning Bolt wouldn't go amiss.

I really do have a consistent style, don't I? This deck is basically mono-white Phelddagrif without the politics. Or at least less politics.

Last edited by DirkGently 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

PrimevalCommander

Post by PrimevalCommander » 1 year ago

With 16 wipes and 24 targeted removal is anyone going to have any fun playing against this deck? Honest question.
I know you are purposefully limiting permanent count, but that is not a weakness when you are backing it up with a board wipe every other turn for the entire game. I just feel bad for anyone trying to do combat damage things in your meta.

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 1 year ago

Single red pip goodstuff spells like Blasphemous Act and Faithless Looting, Deflecting Swat is probably pretty solid. I'd give some thought to Pyroblast personally.

Ways to kill Otharri, Suns' Glory instead of exiling him seem pretty reasonable. Dumb stuff like Lightning Bolt.

I think I'd give some thought to a few extra combat step spells that are efficient, e.g. Seize the Day, since getting a few experience counters at once can dramatically up your clock speed.

That said I have to echo PC, which is that this deck feels like 1) a rehash of a concept you have done a million times (wipe tribal with the commander to win), and 2) ungodly tedious to play against :P

Chromaticus
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Chromaticus » 1 year ago

I like it :)

Mutavault in the manabase for sure!

Might be a good deck for Cosmic Intervention / Brought Back with fetchlands and lotus vale, lotus field, scorched ruins.

DirkGently

PrimevalCommander wrote:
1 year ago
With 16 wipes and 24 targeted removal is anyone going to have any fun playing against this deck? Honest question.
I built this for 2 possible metas - either my casual meta but it's a literal archenemy game (with no schemes), or I finally go down to Takapuna to play, where Jon is always talking about how people play "cEDH" but then describes their deck archetypes as, for example, Vial Smasher the Fierce goblin tribal. Not that this deck would likely hold up to a true cEDH meta, but I highly doubt they're at that level. And if they're going to call themselves cEDH I'm sure as %$#% not holding back, especially not when I'm playing a RW combat-focused commander.
I know you are purposefully limiting permanent count, but that is not a weakness when you are backing it up with a board wipe every other turn for the entire game. I just feel bad for anyone trying to do combat damage things in your meta.
Not sure what you mean by the first sentence. Limiting my permanent count isn't a weakness? I agree of course, that's why I did it?

"Every other turn for the entire game" is a bit of an exaggeration. 16 wipes is 1 out of every 6 cards roughly. Even with some draw it's probably closer to every 3-4 turns. And of course I'm playing a combat-based deck myself so most of the wipes don't fully clear the board. The ones that do are more of a last resort since I'd probably be forced to CZ Otharri (unless I have mutavault).

Actually maybe I should prioritize some instant-speed wipes like Fated Retribution and Starstorm since I can fire them off in response to the Otharri trigger and then keep rebels on board, without allowing any enemy creatures to survive. I don't think there are any full wipes at instant speed though.
pokken wrote:
1 year ago
Single red pip goodstuff spells like Blasphemous Act and Faithless Looting, Deflecting Swat is probably pretty solid. I'd give some thought to Pyroblast personally.
Act I decided against because I don't want many wipes that kill Otharri and all my rebels at the same time - if I'm going to pull that pin I'd rather destroy all nonland permanents entirely. Faithless looting doesn't really do anything here. Swat should probably be in. Pyroblast...I just don't really do color hate.
Ways to kill Otharri, Suns' Glory instead of exiling him seem pretty reasonable. Dumb stuff like Lightning Bolt.
I intend to run sac outlets in my lands for that purpose. That said lightning bolt is a fine card that maybe makes sense.
I think I'd give some thought to a few extra combat step spells that are efficient, e.g. Seize the Day, since getting a few experience counters at once can dramatically up your clock speed.
I did consider those, but then it wouldn't be "solo".

Anyway I suspect he doesn't need it. This is a pretty hard control deck. I'm not in a hurry.
That said I have to echo PC, which is that this deck feels like 1) a rehash of a concept you have done a million times (wipe tribal with the commander to win), and 2) ungodly tedious to play against :P
Oh yeah, but I think for the metas that I plan to play it in it's fair.
Chromaticus wrote:
1 year ago
I like it :)

Mutavault in the manabase for sure!

Might be a good deck for Cosmic Intervention / Brought Back with fetchlands and lotus vale, lotus field, scorched ruins.
Mutavault is 100% in, and it's the only rebel I really like. I was considering playing some of them, but then realized I may as well just play a reanimation spell instead.

I love brought back, but is it really going to be reliable with only 7 fetches? I guess 9 or 10 altogether, but that still doesn't seem reliable enough to justify it to me, considering it doesn't have too much late-game utility, what with our low permanent count.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 1 year ago

With 9 fetches and myriad landscape (which is good) brought back should basically be rampant growth with occasional upside. It's good.

Phoenixlance

Post by Phoenixlance » 1 year ago

How concerned are you about running out of cards? I imagine something like War Room will probably live in your mana base, but have you thought about using any of the spell-based draw/regrowth effects in these colors? Showdown of the Skalds for example, or Reconstruct History.
Main Rotation
Dragonlord Ojutai I Lurrus of the Dream-Den I Katilda, Dawnhart Prime I Jenara, Asura of War I Niv-Mizzet Reborn I Tymna/Bruse Phoenix Kindred I Ezuri, Renegade Leader I Alela, Cunning Conquerer

cEDH
Francisco/Malcolm I Thrasios/Kraum

DirkGently

pokken wrote:
1 year ago
With 9 fetches and myriad landscape (which is good) brought back should basically be rampant growth with occasional upside. It's good.
With 10 lands it's less than 70% to have at least one fetch. That's fine odds if it was great when it hits, but just being a rampant growth...meh. I wouldn't really count myriad landscape either since that's extremely slow (landscape is a fine card and has a good chance of fitting into the deck, but to use it with brought back requires 5 total mana already in play, at which point I don't really care that much about further ramp.

That would all be forgivable if it had some alternative utility to bring back nonland cards in the mid/late game, but I don't think this deck can take much advantage of it.

I do like the card, I'm just not sure this is the best place for it.

It does have a possibility of getting back 2 fetches, at which point ofc it's great. That's about a 1/4.
Phoenixlance wrote:
1 year ago
How concerned are you about running out of cards? I imagine something like War Room will probably live in your mana base, but have you thought about using any of the spell-based draw/regrowth effects in these colors? Showdown of the Skalds for example, or Reconstruct History.
I'm probably focusing primarily on land-based options at least for now. Impulse draw isn't as effective for control cards imo, and I don't think we have enough type diversity to make reconstruct history effective.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 1 year ago

I have been a big advocate of Angel's Grace lately. So many people these days are focusing on ways they can win via combo like wincons anymore I just want to choke them out with this card. There are a few things it still doesn't solve like Ashnod's infinites as they can just execute them on the next upkeep but it does stop a hell of a lot of things if you are in a heavy control shell.

I know you are going for sort of a creature less approach but I could also see some validity in some indestructible gods fitting your shell just because they don't die to a lot of your sweepers. I am not sure if you really care about having vigilance or not but Purphy would give some reach for the token gen and give an option for an anthem for those attacking rebels.

I kept looking at all the extra combats in red and that idea for this commander made me not want to run him. The idea of not going into them seems a lot more appealing just because jamming multiple combat steps feels so rough.

Side note, I didn't know that Vanish into Eternity was a thing so..... thats interesting.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”