The 99 Lands project - version 1: Garth One-Eye

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional
Pronoun: he / him

Post by DirkGently » 2 years ago

There are 6 5-color commanders that have some potential to lead the 99 land deck:
They're all interesting in their own ways.

Garth provides removal, draw/recursion, and big fat flying wincons - he probably includes the most versatility of any of the lot - but wants some self-bounce and haste, and lands to give you other utility since he only uses some of your mana. He also needs to reliably hit wubrg on turn 5 or ideally 4, which is tricky in 99 land, and extra R generation is good for shivan dragon.

Kenrith pretty much fills up your mana usage without as much need for utility lands, though he doesn't provide a lot of control options so you'll want those from lands. Mana fixing is looser since he only needs white to cast, making T4 a lot easier off Ancient Tomb or whatever. He provides a wincon primarily by pumping himself for lethal commander damage plus trample. Doesn't need haste since his abilities don't tap.

Sisay, Weatherlight Captain focuses exclusively on legendary lands. There are some solid options in that pool, though far from universal utility. It's the only option that majorly ramps without support, though, so it does provide some ability to accelerate your plans. She's a mana hog like kenny, but since she doesn't *do* very much on her own she still needs a lot of utility from her lands. As a wincon she relies on her lands, so manlands are probably very important. She's easy to cast, but her ability isn't, and you'll probably want to activate it more than once after you get to 10 mana, so a lot of fixing is important. She does provide fixing herself, though, which is nice.

Child of Alara provides the strongest control option, as a board wipe in the command zone. It requires sac outlets to reliably function, though. It's a mediocre wincon as a 5 mana 6/6 trample, but serviceable, and it blows away blockers for manlands etc. Fixing-wise, he's on par with Garth - you need wubrg but after that you're pretty clear.

Sliver queen is pretty boring. She poops out tokens and that's it. Still, it's a strong ability, however it does make utility lands less important and so doesn't give you much of a plan beyond just making tokens and hoping you get there. A few utility lands end up being crucial here, namely Vault of the Archangel and Gavony Township.

Najeela is similar to sisay in terms of mana requirements. She can snowball pretty quickly as a wincon, but a couple decent blockers under each opponent's control and you're pretty stuck. But if you have wwuubbrrgg to throw around, you can go from zero to hero pretty insanely fast.

A lot of the contents of these decks would be pretty similar, but there are definitely some cards which are going to vary. Also of note is that Jegantha, the Wellspring can companion for any of these decks with no additional restrictions.

Here's Garth, who I think is a pretty middle-of-the-road option in terms of deck composition.
99 Lands - Garth

Commander (1)

Companion? (1)

Approximate Total Cost:

Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Hawk
Slayer of Threads

Post by Hawk » 2 years ago

One drawback of 5C for your project is it means you can't use Terrain Generator or Myriad Landscape to "ramp", and are stuck with those super stinky storage lands. I think its an open question on whether or not Terrain Generator is good enough that it is worth dropping all the triomes and charge lands to run a bunch of basics?

The second drawback is shutting down most of the good card-draw lands; Bonders' Enclave is pretty inconsistent for you now and War Room lava axing you is bad news. I would consider squeezing in Arch of Orazca though. I suspect it's more useful than the 1-in-a-million Gemstone Caverns draw?

DirkGently

Hawk wrote:
2 years ago
One drawback of 5C for your project is it means you can't use Terrain Generator or Myriad Landscape to "ramp", and are stuck with those super stinky storage lands. I think its an open question on whether or not Terrain Generator is good enough that it is worth dropping all the triomes and charge lands to run a bunch of basics?

The second drawback is shutting down most of the good card-draw lands; Bonders' Enclave is pretty inconsistent for you now and War Room lava axing you is bad news. I would consider squeezing in Arch of Orazca though. I suspect it's more useful than the 1-in-a-million Gemstone Caverns draw?
There's also the Hickory Woodlot cycle and the multiple crappy mono color storage counter cycles. But yeah none of them play well here. They'll be in for kenrith probably.

I don't think draw lands are worth much here. We don't get to play more cards, we just get better selection for lands to play. And colorless lands are already stretched thin.

Gemstone caverns is uncuttable. In the opener its one of the only ways to ramp, plus fixes, it's insane. I dunno why you'd say one in a million, its 7/99 (*.75 I suppose in a 4p game). Sure, odds are kinda low but that's mostly because the odds or drawing any individual land are low.

Terrain Generator is great in mono or 2-color lists, maaaybe 3, but I'm not gimping my whole manabase to make one card work. Especially since it'd slow down my commander, not speed it up (unless it's a fake 5c like kenrith).
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Legend
Aethernaut

Post by Legend » 2 years ago

Command Beacon and Sanctum of Eternity could be useful in such a commander-centric deck. EDIT: Also, Petrified Field, Endless Sands, Haunted Fengraf, Memorial to Folly. The channel lands from Neon Dynasty seem very useful here. Maybe skew into Plains for Emeria, the Sky Ruin. Or Maze's End plus Gates for an alt wincon.
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

DirkGently

Sanctum is in there. Land recursion is pointless since his Regrowth wont have any other targets anyway. Given the meta I don't think protecting him will be too necessary. Anyway we've got a few good methods already.

God I hate mazes end. It does make sense here but I ain't doing it. It's shivan dragons only, boyos!

I got to play it once, in a 1v1 game, and it won lol. In fairness he was playing the Breena, the Demagogue precon which sucks 1v1. The game lasted forever lol, probably 25+ turns.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”