Answers: 2
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Dunadain » 3 years ago

The decklist
Thantis, the Warweaver

Commander

Defense

Approximate Total Cost:

Couple days ago I posted asking for some help on a Kardur, Doomscourge deck. I worked on it some more but I wasn't really happy with where the deck was going, the deck just tried to re-land Kardur, Doomscourge over and over again. People can see it coming from a mile away and it's pretty easy to interupt (heck, plenty of decks can just ignore it entirely and kill you last).

So I went back and looked at possible commanders for a goad-themed deck (not necessarily goad, but various ways to make your opponents attack eachother) I eventually settled on Thantis, the Warweaver, not because she's super good, but her colors allow me to put most of the other commander option in the 99. I've played it three times and I actually really like it. I lost all three games but the deck worked my opponents were dealing crazy ammounts of damage to eachother while I just sat back and watched. The fact that Thantis, the Warweaver is really good for this deck, but not the sole focus of the deck meant that the deeck played with a surprising amount of variance and that I wasn't out of the game the one time thantis was outpriced.

Varchild, Betrayer of Kjeldor and Xantcha, Sleeper Agent put in a ton of work.

the vows (Vow of Malice, Vow of Lightning, and Vow of Wildness) underperformed, they should probably be cut, but they are very on-theme so I want to give them a little more time to try and prove themselves.

Also, the deck is surprisingly cohesive, the cards work and build off of each other much better than I thought they would.

I threw this deck together on auto pilot, so the lands and ramp are just the staples that come to mind immediately.

Probably the biggest upgrade to the deck right now is all the little details: a fine tuned mana base, a better interaction suite, and more/better card draw.

Unfortunately that's always the boring part of brewing for me so that might take awhile.

I'd appreciate any help with that along with card inclusion/exclusion suggestions. I suspect I missed a lot of options, especially cards that give your opponents creatures to attack with (like Varchild, Betrayer of Kjeldor and Rite of the Raging Storm).
Last edited by Dunadain 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
All cards are bad if you try hard enough.

Important decks: Ebondeath, Dracolich, Emiel, The Blessed, Phelddagriff
Other: Ruhan, Zask, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Help me complete my JumpStart Cube!

Tags:

weltkrieg
Pronoun: he / him

Post by weltkrieg » 3 years ago

You're already running assault suit (which is a good card for this kind of deck) and your general is Thantis, the Warweaver . Why not add Rakdos the Defiler (original rakdos)? This would double as a 2 card win condition ( 3 with your general) that will wreck your opponents and leave you generally free to play as normal. I would generally recommend casting him post combat the first time, though.

If you're going to remove the vows (and you should, I feel) I think the hunted creatures also need to go. Giving your opponents creatures to beat you with does not strike me as a good idea unless you're playing a deck that has lots of ways to kill the tokens or similar. Right now, you don't.

I think some of the cards like hissing miasma don't do enough. Unless you have opponents attacking with lots of 1 power creatures that don't get pumped, it will help you stave them off at best a turn which is probably not enough at a multi-opponent table. Similarly, no mercy doesn't do much if they are already going to kill you.

Instead, I would take a look at some marisi, breaker of the coil lists. This deck archetype does a lot of what you're trying to do here.

I see a ton of fetch land and land search in here. Where is your Geode Rager ? It has the potential to be the single best card in your deck (by repeatably forcing them to go elsewhere for the combat).

Combat is a thing. Creatures happen. When you're forcing all of the combats (and hence no blockers unless vigilant), then I would think this is an excellent deck for Toski, Bearer of Secrets . Refilling your hand is an excellent idea.

Since creatures will be dying constantly, maybe Rakshasa Debaser , Endless Whispers , or Grave Betrayal ? It would give you lots of additional fuel to let you come out on top during the carnage.

Warmonger Hellkite seems better than avatar of slaughter. Giving attackers double strike that eventually come your way seems like a bad idea. This also allows you to add to the damage by firebreathing all attackers.

Dunadain
I like turtles
Answers: 2
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Dunadain » 3 years ago

Rakdos the Defiler is not the direction I want to go here, in fact it seems pretty bad. Without Assault Suit the card is a complete nonbo with Thantis, the Warweaver and I'm only running two tutors in the entire deck. One of the options I was playing around with when trying to build this deck was Zurgo Helmsmasher with a bajillion ways to tutor up Assault Suit. I scrapped it because it was far too linear for what I had in mind. Rakdos the Defiler seems like a good card in that deck, but I'm gonna pass in this one. Also, even if you find that magical Christmas land where you have all three pieces and it doesn't eat any removal (and this combo screams removal), what do you do on your own turn when you also have to swing with him?

Your probably right about the hunted cards, I might keep Hunted Dragon as it is clearly the best of the three. The idea behind them is that they give my opponents creatures to swing at eachother, but they are probably more trouble then they are worth. In a similar vein, I might keep Vow of Wildness as giving Thantis, the Warweaver trample is a good win condition.

I've looked at a couple Marisi, Breaker of the Coil lists, I think I have most of the cards I want from those lists, the fact that I have black and they have white means the lists diverge quite a bit.

Geode Rager was a card in the pile I needed to make cuts in and I tossed him because he is an expensive 4/3 with first strike. At the time I figured when my main method of winning was creature beatdown, the ability alone wouldn't justify the CMC, but I've come around to it and will add it back in.

yup, Toski, Bearer of Secrets is a slam dunk, thanks.

I kind of like the recursion enchantment ideas, I think I'll just start with Endless Whispers as it's the cheapest and giving the creatures to my other opponents won't be as bad as it might be in other decks (I don't care who owns the creatures, just so long as they keep swinging at each other).

the idea behind Avatar of Slaughter was that no one was going to swing into a 8/8 with double strike. Plus he gives Thantis, the Warweaver double strike so I imagine those double strike creatures are going to be swinging elsewhere. On the other hand, he's stupid expensive, so you might be right. Warmonger Hellkite is another card that I cut but now I'm second guessing.

Two cards I'm looking at are Urabrask the Hidden and Key to the City.

Urabrask the Hidden would replace Mass Hysteria. The idea behind Mass Hysteria was that I could force my opponents to attack with the turn they play creatures, but I'm stupid and forgot the second main phase exists. Urabrask the Hidden is another creature for the beatdown plan, it stops summoning sick creatures from being able to block, and granting my own stuff haste is nice, particularly for Tahngarth, First Mate, who otherwise has to sit around doing nothing for a turn.

Key to the City helps damage get through while also filtering cards. Seems decent.

Edit: the changes:
Forgot to mention: I agree with your analysis on Hissing Miasma and co. I included them anyways because I was worried abo9ut token swarms, but Crawlspace will handle them better while also being useful against many non-token based decks.
All cards are bad if you try hard enough.

Important decks: Ebondeath, Dracolich, Emiel, The Blessed, Phelddagriff
Other: Ruhan, Zask, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Help me complete my JumpStart Cube!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”