Unreleased and New Card Discussion

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Lifeless » 4 months ago

Uh yeah Case of the Locked Hothouse is a banger. I haven't seen a card I like for Sigarda more than this in a long time.

materpillar
the caterpillar
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by materpillar » 4 months ago

Delney, Streetwise Lookout is getting windmill slammed into Tivadar of Thorn. Really hyped about that.

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt
Pronoun: they / them

Post by folding_music » 4 months ago

is this dumb? I feel like they leaned too heavily into the detective theme... the card names and the names of the mechanics go together but they sound so messed up as magic cards. getting the same feeling from this as I did from Capenna - everything seems like it's still using its playtest nomenclature

Mookie
Answers: 48

Post by Mookie » 4 months ago

Last edited by Mookie 4 months ago, edited 1 time in total.

NZB2323

Post by NZB2323 » 4 months ago

Archdruid's Charm looks fantastic, especially if your commander cost 6. Turn 3 put Ancient Tomb into play, turn 4 cast your commander.

It also answers gods because it exiles them.

You could almost consider it a charm with 5 choices:

1. Search your library for a creature.
2. Search your library for a land and put it into play.
3. Put a +1/+1 counter on a creature. It deals damage equal to its power to target creature.
4. Exile target artifact
5. Exile target enchantment
Last edited by NZB2323 4 months ago, edited 2 times in total.
Current Decks
rg Morophon, the infinite Kavu Eowyn, human tribal Legolas, voltron control Wb Tymna/Ravos cleric tribal Neheb, Chicago Bulls tribal Ug Edric pauper

Retired Decks
Edgar Markov Kaalia, angel board wipes Ghen, prison Captain Sisay Ub Nymris, draw go Sarulf, voltron control Niv-Mizzet, combo Winota Sidisi, Zombie Tribal

PrimevalCommander

Post by PrimevalCommander » 4 months ago

Archdruid's Charm looks pretty sweet. All 3 modes are highly relevant. I'll be needing one or two of those for sure. Pondering if I can squeeze it into Kalamax, the Stormsire, but the is steep. Might be worth the risk as I do tutor a lot of forests into play.

Kylox's Voltcharger I'm considering for the same deck, but I need to ponder it a bit more since crewing it with Kalamax is good value, but I'm not sure how much value I could net off it. 6 mv worth of cards it not too difficult to get into my gy.

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

Post by Guardman » 4 months ago

Blood Spatter Analysis is a neat card that seems like it would be a good fit in my Henzie "Toolbox" Torre as good early removal that I can transform into a raise dead fairly easily.

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

folding_music wrote:
4 months ago
is this dumb? I feel like they leaned too heavily into the detective theme... the card names and the names of the mechanics go together but they sound so messed up as magic cards. getting the same feeling from this as I did from Capenna - everything seems like it's still using its playtest nomenclature
I feel you for sure. There's something off-putting about a lot of this set so far for me.

CommanderMaster999

Post by CommanderMaster999 » 4 months ago

We should talk about names for Arch*Blank*'s charm cycle since this new green one is basically a green Archmage's Charm and they feel it's playable in eternal is equal to the blue one.

Mookie
Answers: 48

Post by Mookie » 4 months ago

CommanderMaster999 wrote:
4 months ago
We should talk about names for Arch*Blank*'s charm cycle since this new green one is basically a green Archmage's Charm and they feel it's playable in eternal is equal to the blue one.
Yeah, looks like we're getting a super-cycle. I could see archangel or archpriest for white, and archlich or archfiend for black. No idea what red could be though, unless they loosen the naming scheme a bit - 'archdevil' and 'archdragon' aren't really things.

PrimevalCommander

Post by PrimevalCommander » 4 months ago

Archpriest sounds reasonable. There is Archpriest of Iona.
Archfiend is quite common among demon creatures. There is Archdemon of Unx for archdemon and about 8+ archfiends.
Red could be Archsorcerer maybe. Archpyromancer would be cool.

duducrash
Still Learning

Post by duducrash » 4 months ago

Cool day!

Aftermath Analyst - I really wish this milled 4. Might still have try in Karador, Ghost Chieftain

Case of the Locked Hothouse - this read's insane! Is it better than Oracle of Mul Daya ?

Archdruid's Charm - is this going to be a chase rare? I want one in every green deck ever.

@folding_music i feel you. Sometimes it feels there was no adult in the room to review and cut some of the jokes. And there is a dissonance between the tone of the stories and the cards. I get the joke guys, no need to have 50% of the set be in it

Dunadain
I like turtles
Answers: 2

Post by Dunadain » 4 months ago

I feel the same regarding the theme of the set, though, considering the theme is murder mystery AND they are leaning heavily into morph (with a different name), I don't think there was ever a chance that I would be a fan of this set.

Still hoping to find some individual cards that I like though, and Archdruid's Charm squarely fits that bill.
All cards are bad if you try hard enough.

Important decks: Ebondeath, Dracolich, Zask, Phelddagriff
Other: Karrthus, Eris, Emiel, The Blessed, Ruhan, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Help me complete my JumpStart Cube!

CommanderMaster999

WHOOOOOA

you could easily do infinite combats with Anzrag (the mole god) with the right cards

(You get another combat if Anzrag gets blocked)

So Lure effects + Heroic Intervention or Darksteel Plate effects + a way to give one creature a opponent controls indestructible like Mortal's Resolve = infinite combat

Oh and are green Relentless Rats just got previewed.

It goes by the name of Slime Against Humanity we make atleast a two +1/+1 ooze token and that number rises for the number of cards in exile and oozes + number of "slime against humanity" in the graveyard.

We got the last piece of the puzzle needed for ooze tribal. So what do you guys think Aeve, Progenitor Ooze or The Mimeoplasm for the tribe?
Last edited by CommanderMaster999 4 months ago, edited 2 times in total.

Ruiner

Post by Ruiner » 4 months ago

4 months ago
WHOOOOOA

you could easily do infinite combats with Anzrag (the mole god) with the right cards

So Lure effects + Heroic Intervention or Darksteel Plate effects + a way to give one creature a opponent controls indestructible like Mortal's Resolve = infinite combat
Could just do it with just Bubble Matrix and his activated ability also.

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb

Post by kirkusjones » 4 months ago

4 months ago
WHOOOOOA

Oh and are green Relentless Rats just got previewed.

It goes by the name of "Slime Against Humanity" we make atleast a two +1/+1 ooze token and that number rises for the number of cards in exile and oozes + number of "slime against humanity" in the graveyard.

We got the last piece of the puzzle needed for ooze tribal. So what do you guys think Aeve, Progenitor Ooze or The Mimeoplasm for the tribe?

If you're doing Slime Against Humanity meme stuff, Umori, the Collector seems like the best option.

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 4 months ago

Mookie wrote:
4 months ago

[*]Case of the Locked Hothouse looks very nice. I like Oracle of Mul Daya, but it tends to die a lot, and only hitting lands off the top means it will often die before you get any value. Case doesn't help you hit land drops 5-7, but it does generate significantly more card advantage in the lategame.
[/list]
I wanna put it in my forest Omnath, Locus of Mana joke deck
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

Dunadain
I like turtles

Bro, just a few weeks ago I was talking about doing this combo with Dragon's Approach, but all of the pay-offs were lack-luster:
The Oozening
Approximate Total Cost:

Step 1: Cast Codie, Vociferous Codex on turn 3
Step 2: Activate Codie, Vociferous Codex and cast a Slime Against Humanity
Step 3: Cascade into Test of Talents and exile a bunch (40?) of Slime Against Humanitys
Step 4: Spend the rest of the game casting 40/40 trampling oozes.

Other: Karrthus, Eris, Emiel, The Blessed, Ruhan, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

CommanderMaster999

And I now just realized a infinite mana combo with Anzrag

If your turned on he has to be blocked thing and indestructible…… you infinite with Forbidden Orchard + Bear Umbra (they will always have a block with that spirit token)

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 4 months ago

Lazav is always a banger design. Definitely dig Lazav, Wearer of Faces.

Archdruid's Charm is excellent in general and in Phelddagrif in particular. As long as the manabase can handle it...
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Wayta - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Eris - Magda - Ghired2 - Xander - Me - Slogurk - Gilraen - Shelob2 - Kellan1 - Leori - Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

So we're just printing 8/4s for 4 with upside now. Noted.

Sporegorger_Dragon

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 4 months ago

I think we're all losing our minds over the legendary 8/4 for 4 Mole with upside. Someone posted a combo with Forbidden Orchard and Bear Umbra to provide continuous blockers, all that's left is to give the mole indestructible.
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

Dunadain
I like turtles

honestly, forget about infinite combos, I just want to build Infiltration Lens and company .dek

There's a ton of cool equipment that do sweet things when blocked or when they kill another creature, problem is people just don't block =/

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool

Post by tstorm823 » 4 months ago

Dunadain wrote:
4 months ago
honestly, forget about infinite combos, I just want to build Infiltration Lens and company .dek

There's a ton of cool equipment that do sweet things when blocked or when they kill another creature, problem is people just don't block =/
Oooooo... Kusari-Gama?

Edit: Repercussion time!
Zedruu: "This deck is not only able to go crazy - it also needs to do so."

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”