Tivadar of Thorn, Slayer of Goblins

materpillar
the caterpillar
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by materpillar » 10 months ago

Years ago my meta-game some how evolved into literally everyone playing mono-R. You'd get Jaya Ballard, Task Mage vs Purphoros, God of the Forge vs Ashling the Pilgrim vs Rakka Mar. I figured this was getting out of control so I flipped through my binder and there he sat...

I knew that there was just so many goblins that needed slaying. The original combo was Kithkin Harbinger for Shields of Velis Vel so that Tivadar could slay his goblin enemies. Out of that terrible memey combo the deck with the highest win-rate of any deck I've ever created was birthed into existence. The deck was full of a pile of pure draft chaff, no one would focus me. Suddenly, everyone at <10 life because of various Mana Flare + Earthquake stupidity. Tivadar of Thorn would ascend on high to finish off my foolish opponents. He cares not for your petty Blasphemous Acts and Chain Reactions.

Decklist

Deck

Commander

Approximate Total Cost:

The deck's original philosophy was "if Tivadar kills a goblin during the coarse of the game I consider that as good as winning." I mark his card every time he slays a goblin, he's slain 31 as of 1/5/2021. The actual game plan was Tallowisp for various enchantments using a variety of arcane spells, most of which I cut in the latest revision. It could also win with Martial Coup + Cathars' Crusade.
I took the deck apart years ago but I've been wanting to build a lower power deck to tango with newer players so the team is getting back together. The gameplan is to use Mistveil Plains + Kithkin Harbinger/Forerunner of the Legion + Conjurer's Closet to be able to draw Shields of Velis Vel every turn/every other turn so let the goblin slaying really happen.

Commander legends has added the spicy combo of using Ardenn, Intrepid Archaeologist to equip Runed Stalactite or Amorphous Axe to my opponents creatures so Tivadar of Thorn can put those dirty goblins in the dirt.

I built a blink/recursion shell based around getting one of those two plans online. I really feel like Knights of Thorn should be here... but they just seem like they won't do anything. I think Eldrazi Displacer should probably be here somewhere. I really need to cut something for Commander's Plate as a way to actually end the game.
Last edited by materpillar 1 day ago, edited 9 times in total.

Tags:

Hawk
Slayer of Threads
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Hawk » 10 months ago

This is the dumbest and silliest deck I've ever seen, and I mean that as a sincere complement. Just ridiculous and beautiful.

You definitely do want Displacer, and in your newest version you have only five cards that can trigger Tallowisp and only four cards it can hit. You may be better off dropping it and Bruna, the Fading Light for Heliod's Pilgrim + Eldrazi Displacer.

materpillar
the caterpillar

Hawk wrote:
10 months ago
This is the dumbest and silliest deck I've ever seen, and I mean that as a sincere complement. Just ridiculous and beautiful.

You definitely do want Displacer, and in your newest version you have only five cards that can trigger Tallowisp and only four cards it can hit. You may be better off dropping it and Bruna, the Fading Light for Heliod's Pilgrim + Eldrazi Displacer.
You want to know something immensely satisfying? Watching a Krenko, Mob Boss deck's owner read Tivadar's Crusade.

Tallowisp was just one of the original cores of the deck. I have a hard time emotionally cutting it. I used to be running Ethereal Haze, Hundred-Talon Strike and Kami of the Honored Dead just to help trigger it. I once got exactly lethal with Hundred-Talon Strike it was glorious.

I think I need to slot back in some more spirits instead of cutting Tallowisp, Glancing through EDHrec and riiiiight Karmic Guide used to be in here. I think Remorseful Cleric is also a good idea. Maybe Bygone Bishop... hrmm

I've also been wondering if I need a sacrifice outlet like Fanatical Devotion or Martyr's Cause,

Lastly, I was pondering Icon of Ancestry as a combo with Kithkin Harbinger but I need to go through and figure out creature types first. [edit]: Not nearly enough

materpillar
the caterpillar

I assembled the ultimate combo of Tivadar of Thorn, Angel of Flight Alabaster, Angel of Condemnation and Shields of Velis Vel. 3 goblins fell before Tivadars might (as did a player, Armored Ascension is no joke).

Maybe I'll start a kill counter...
Vaevictis Asmadi, the Dire
Chainer, Nightmare Adept
Corpsejack Menace

[edit]:
Golos, Tireless Pilgrim
Emrakul, the Promised End

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”