Post by Ruiner » 1 year ago

Rilsa Rael, Kingpin - Dangerous Dungeons

Rilsa Rael, Kingpin

Commander

Misc. Instants

Planeswalkers

Approximate Total Cost:

About the Deck

This deck is focused on getting through a dungeon as quick as possible and then taking advantage of Rilsa's great ability to give a creature deathtouch, first strike, menace, and most importantly, +5/+0 until end of turn. The scariest payoffs for that stat boost are creatures with infect, but there are a few other creatures out there that benefit from effects relating to how much damage they deal that can also benefit from Rilsa's ability. The main way this deck is killing people is either via infect or commander damage. Wand of Orcus is also a potential way to swarm the board if you use Rilsa's ability on something evasive to guarantee a minimum of 6 zombies whenever you connect.

Creatures in this deck are basically either:
A) Dungeon based
B) Evasive, to take advantage of Rilsa's ability, carry equipment, and/or regain The Initiative if someone takes it from you.
C) Payoff creatures like the various infect creatures and cards like Needle Specter.

Once you have completed any dungeon, that typically starts setting off alarms for your opponents as even a lowly 1/1 can hit for 6 damage, and if that creature has infect then that 1/1 is a two-hit kill.

There are a few dungeon based creatures or other venture effects that fit the dimir color identity that I have chosen to exclude because they felt slow, clunky, and/or inefficient.

I've been playing this deck for the past few weekends and I feel like it is in a pretty good state at the moment, with the exception of some utility lands I want to add in soon. I haven't seen every card in the deck in action yet, but many of them have shown up in the games I've had. I'm definitely going to keep tinkering with this deck for quite a while, it's certainly not set in stone.

Navigating the Dungeons

At this time there are four available dungeons to venture into, with three available at any time (Tomb of Annihilation, Dungeon of the Mad Mage, Lost Mine of Phandelver), and The Undercity, which is only available through The Initiative mechanic. The Undercity is by far overall the best dungeon to be venturing in at any time. If you have to venture into a dungeon before getting The Initiative, which is not uncommon in my experience, then you almost certainly should choose Lost Mine of Phandelver as it is the one of the shortest of the dungeons so you can get through it fast.

Tomb of Annihilation and Dungeon of the Mad Mage I have completely avoided in all games. They are decent for other decks but the benefits are too low and they are too slow to get through.

ImageImage
If in the Lost Mine of Phandelver, typically I take the path of "Cave Entrance", "Mine Tunnels", "Fungi Cavern", and then "Temple of Dumathoin", but really you could take just about any path. "Storeroom" is certainly a valuable room to hit as the +1/+1 counter on any of your "payoff" creatures can make a difference.

If in The Undercity, I will almost always take "Secret Entrance" to "Forge". "Forge" increases the power of your payoff creatures which is huge. From "Forge", I would typically take "Arena" which is almost always useful, but occasionally "Trap" can make a difference on someone who has already been hit for non-infect damage. "Archives" and "Catacombs" are both very useful. An extra card from "Archives" is clearly great. The 4/1 skeleton token you get from "Catacombs" becomes a 9/1 with Rilsa, which is a pretty decent chunk of damage when it connects. The final step of the dungeon "Throne of the Death Three" is just silly, often resulting in some sort of infect creature hitting the board for free with +3/+3 to it's stats.

If you have Inkmoth Nexus in play, definitely consider giving it the +1/+1 counter dungeon payoffs if you feel safe to do so.

Other Cards For Consideration

Cephalid Constable - This card is terrifying with Rilsa's ability. I had this in my deck for the first night I was playing it but had a few issues. The payoff is great but doesn't actually advance your main ways of killing people, it just irritates people unless you are in "the endgame" to lock a last remaining opponent down. You can bounce a player's board on turn 5-ish but not really get any closer to killing them and then you just watch them restart from Turn 1 essentially. I would end up staring at this card sitting dead in my hand, or have it on the board as a "threat" but that ends up drawing aggro my way quickly. If I was in some sort of tournament setting, where I wouldn't feel bad about just bouncing everyone's boards because something is on the line, I'd probably put it back in the deck, otherwise this is staying on the sidelines for the foreseeable future.
Phyrexian Obliterator - I just love this card and making it swing for 10 seems awesome. I would not be surprised if it ends up in the deck eventually.
Teferi's Veil - This is great in any blue based aggro deck for avoiding board wipes and it is only a matter of time before I put it in the deck. I want to get a lot of games in, to see what is working and what isn't working, and then I'll likely put this in the deck.
Strionic Resonator - This makes you double up on ETB and damage triggers to get you through dungeons quicker but paying 4 mana to get the first benefit just makes me feel like I should be playing another threat or another card that actually does dungeon stuff on its own. I feel like this card is a trap that slows you down.
Sarevok's Tome, Dungeon Map, Dungeoneer's Pack - All three of these were in my deck for the first night I played it. I never drew any of them, but in retrospect they feel slow, and I think I'd rather just venture with creature based effects that can actually apply pressure.
"Blink Effects" - Various cheap blink effects could be useful to speed through dungeons even quicker but I honestly haven't felt the need to include them. Thassa, Deep-Dwelling and Sword of Hearth and Home have been good enough for blinking when I get them in play and I think it would be easy to go a bit overboard on those effects while not actually keeping pressure on people.
"Monarch Effects" - This deck can definitely do a good job of retaking The Monarch status due to all of the evasive creatures and menace that Rilsa grants, it's just a matter of finding room to reasonably include any of more of these effects beyond Throne of the High City.
Last edited by Ruiner 1 year ago, edited 3 times in total.

Tags:

yeti1069
Pronoun: he / him

Post by yeti1069 » 1 year ago

I have a Sefris deck that I've added a little bit of initiative to, and I've found Sarevok's Tome to be pretty fantastic. At worst, it's a mana rock that ventures on ETB, which is ok (in particular, it can help get you to the mana to cast your commander), but the activated ability on it is very strong. Maybe not so much for this deck, since you're playing mostly cheaper stuff, but it's 4 or 5 mana (3+not having the rock mana) to get a spell at random off the top.

Ruiner

yeti1069 wrote:
1 year ago
I have a Sefris deck that I've added a little bit of initiative to, and I've found Sarevok's Tome to be pretty fantastic. At worst, it's a mana rock that ventures on ETB, which is ok (in particular, it can help get you to the mana to cast your commander), but the activated ability on it is very strong. Maybe not so much for this deck, since you're playing mostly cheaper stuff, but it's 4 or 5 mana (3+not having the rock mana) to get a spell at random off the top.
I think that is definitely the best of the artifact dungeon related cards. For this deck I figured I'd have good chances of hitting removal or a counterpell when I don't need them off of that activated ability. If I was running some topdeck manipulating effects I'd probably be looking at it more. It is definitely on the edge of being considered for trying out though. Getting that initiative for 4 mana itself is a good deal, initiative has been very good in my experience.

Hawk
Slayer of Threads

Post by Hawk » 1 year ago

Thanks for posting this. My allergy to ordering singles for every wild hare deck I dream up killed Rilsa Gumball, but I love your list!

How's Thalakos Dreamsower been? I was fixing to run Looter il-Kor and it generally seems better as a shadow critter.

Also re: Leyline of Singularity - is that a typo or do you just hate Treasure/Gold spam and token decks that much? :P

Ruiner

Hawk wrote:
1 year ago
How's Thalakos Dreamsower been? I was fixing to run Looter il-Kor and it generally seems better as a shadow critter.
There are definitely "better" evasive creatures but this is a weird one and sometimes I like to just try out random weird stuff. In theory I think it could be decent for locking down something big and scary. In all of my games I've only played it once and then it met a board wipe so I can't say how good it is.
Also re: Leyline of Singularity - is that a typo or do you just hate Treasure/Gold spam and token decks that much? :P
Not a typo at all hah. It's in there for exactly the reasons you said. I regularly see stuff like Dockside, Smothering Tithe, and Old Gnawbone, and a few decks in my regular playgroup can flood the board with tokens so I figure this is a pretty good card to act as a speed bump for them, and it doesn't really affect me. In many games it should be pretty useful. It's another card I haven't actually dropped into play though (sometimes you can play a bunch games with a deck and never see a particular card).

Haman

Post by Haman » 1 year ago

For me, innitiative payoff is hexproof big creature for a turn.
I built my rilsa in a backward fashion, starting with 8 fatty creatures,
3 pair of hasty shoes, some deathtouchers for defense, all innitiative cards in ub color and artifact, enough lands and rocks to get to 4 mana...and most importantly, mass bounce spell like consuming tide and washout. The tempo swing from these bounce spell will net you, 1 to 2 room for free

Ruiner

Haman wrote:
1 year ago
For me, innitiative payoff is hexproof big creature for a turn.
I built my rilsa in a backward fashion, starting with 8 fatty creatures,
3 pair of hasty shoes, some deathtouchers for defense, all innitiative cards in ub color and artifact, enough lands and rocks to get to 4 mana...and most importantly, mass bounce spell like consuming tide and washout. The tempo swing from these bounce spell will net you, 1 to 2 room for free
The final stage of The Undercity is definitely a strong payoff. Often, with my deck setup it results in a scary infect creature being +3/+3 with hexproof, which is somewhat similar to having a big beater get those bonuses. I can definitely see that sort of set up as an alternative to the infect path that I've chosen.

Ruiner

When the new Toxic mechanic was spoiled for this latest set, I wasn't expecting a ton of new cards to consider for this deck since that poison counter mechanic doesn't really interact with Rilsa in any significant way like Infect does but I was pleasantly surprised. I've made a few changes incorporating new cards that I think will end up working out pretty well.

Added Cards
+1 Vraska, Betrayal's Sting - Every ability on this planeswalker is pretty sweet for the deck. Beyond the proliferate helping with poison counters, it also will help accelerate the +1/+1 counters that accumulate from dungeon exploring.
+1 Necrogen Communion - Giving a creature that already has infect the toxic ability can be pretty nasty, and the recursion this aura provides seems pretty solid.
+1 Infectious Inquiry - It's a Read the Bones type draw spell that also gives poison counters out, this should be worth trying.
+1 Prologue to Phyresis - For 2 mana, I think this works pretty well for the deck since poison is the primary win condition.
+1 Vraska's Fall - It isn't targeted, but an edict with poison counter giving seems okay. I'm not 100% convinced on this one but I'm giving it a try.

Removed Cards
-1 Brainstorm - Great card obviously, but Prologue to Phyresis is taking this spot for now.
-1 Syphon Mind - This tends to be a pretty great card but I did add some other card draw so I might be safe dropping this for now.
-1 Shadowmage Infiltrator - This card has such a nostalgia vibe for me, but swapping for Infectious Inquiry gives me the card draw still.
-1 Thalakos Dreamsower - This card is super cool, although not great. I may or may not put this back in later.
-1 Infernal Grasp - Swapped this out for Vraska's Fall. I may regret this.

Other cards on my radar from this set that didn't make the cut this time:
Phyresis Outbreak - I think it could be a decent board sweeper occasionally.
Blade of Shared Souls - A 3 drop clone (that doesn't get ETB triggers) has a number of decent targets in the deck. The ability to change one of my ETB venture/initiative creatures that tend to be a little more lackluster after they've done that job, into something like an Infect creature does have a certain appeal as well.

PrimevalCommander

Post by PrimevalCommander » 1 year ago

I also have a Sefris of the Hidden Ways deck that runs Rilsa Rael, Kingpin and she has quickly become one of my favorite card to see. I was able to commander damage kill a player with Sefris of the Hidden Ways due to Rilsa's pump and evasion. So that was really funny. My favorite combo is Rilsa + Zetalpa, Primal Dawn beats. So I can definitely see the appeal in her as the commander.

Are there any creatures that draw cards equal to combat damage done in these colors? I know and have one each.

Ruiner

PrimevalCommander wrote:
1 year ago
Are there any creatures that draw cards equal to combat damage done in these colors? I know and have one each.
Unfortunately I don't believe there are. If there ever is one, it is totally getting a home in this deck for sure.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”