Post by benjameenbear » 8 months ago

toctheyounger wrote:
8 months ago
TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
8 months ago
Dunadain wrote:
8 months ago
Big brother is always watching
Ben isn't Big Brother, he's more like Starfleet command. He's just got a yellow shirt and ours are as red as the mod box by which we are disciplined. Better that than devolving back into the darkest days of Sally's situation, I say.
Ben is a decent dude with a kind heart and a love for this game and the community. He's got a good head on his shoulders. Totally agree regarding Salvation, it really was the Wild West some days. And I only really saw the nadir.
TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
8 months ago
toctheyounger wrote:
8 months ago
Ben is a decent dude with a kind heart and a love for this game and the community. He's got a good head on his shoulders. Totally agree regarding Salvation, it really was the Wild West some days. And I only really saw the nadir.
I agree. Ben's always done right by me and he's one of the few mods on any site anywhere that I can honestly respect.

Sally really was the Wild West, no joke. When Cryo said the moderation was lax, he was being generous. Do you remember The Gutter, by any chance?
Ya'll are very kind. Despite my disenchantment with WOTC and how they've ruined two of my favorite villain archetypes (RIP Nicol Bolas and Phyrexia), I still enjoy the game and the quality people who comprise it. And Commander is hands-down the best format for it IMO.

I'll always try and keep it as fair as possible with my mod'ing, but this site is far and away better than MTGSal. So keeping engagement and a positive environment is an absolute priority for me here!

Re: The Gutter - it was absolutely atrocious and a disgusting place. It's not even worth repeating some of the posts and content topics discussed there. Suffice to say it was a place where sexism, racism, and other repugnant ideas got a voice and drama raged in ways that should never be repeated online.

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1
Pronoun: he / him

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 8 months ago

benjameenbear wrote:
8 months ago

Ya'll are very kind.
You're a good mod. Believe me, I wouldn't kiss your ass about this. I'm just well acquainted with absentee and/or powermad mods elsewhere.
Re: The Gutter - it was absolutely atrocious and a disgusting place. It's not even worth repeating some of the posts and content topics discussed there. Suffice to say it was a place where sexism, racism, and other repugnant ideas got a voice and drama raged in ways that should never be repeated online.
Certainly I agree that it's content should never be reproduced, but I think its history demands examination. Whose idea was it in the first place? Why? At what point did the metaphorical camel's back break? What did the mods think about it? Most importantly, what lessons can we glean from the Gutter to avert the same situation elsewhere?

All I have is hazy memories and reverse-engineered context with which to work. I suppose I could go fiddle with the Wayback Machine, but even that wouldn't really make sense of it all.

Maybe one of the old guard can help me

Oh great and ancient @ISBPathfinder! Hear my cry! What do you remember of your time as a Sally mod?
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 8 months ago

Is it just me, or do the holiday LTR cards look like they just took the original art and ran it through the photocopier a couple times? Looks like the laziest reprint cash grab since double feature.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Wayta - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Eris - Magda - Ghired2 - Xander - Me - Slogurk - Gilraen - Shelob2 - Kellan1 - Leori - Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 8 months ago

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
8 months ago
benjameenbear wrote:
8 months ago

Ya'll are very kind.
You're a good mod. Believe me, I wouldn't kiss your ass about this. I'm just well acquainted with absentee and/or powermad mods elsewhere.
Certainly I agree that it's content should never be reproduced, but I think its history demands examination. Whose idea was it in the first place? Why? At what point did the metaphorical camel's back break? What did the mods think about it? Most importantly, what lessons can we glean from the Gutter to avert the same situation elsewhere?

All I have is hazy memories and reverse-engineered context with which to work. I suppose I could go fiddle with the Wayback Machine, but even that wouldn't really make sense of it all.

Maybe one of the old guard can help me

Oh great and ancient @ISBPathfinder! Hear my cry! What do you remember of your time as a Sally mod?
There was a lot of drama in my time as a mod at sally. Its important to mention that there has been a massive shift away from forums in general in the last 10 years but if you look back to like the early 2000s - like.... 2014 forums were still a very popular place to find discussion for magic. The upside of this is that it was very easy to approach and contribute as a random reader which I am still a fan of where as things like facebook and discord can be a little more closed off but my big dislike of them is that you can't ever really track a single conversation over time with those mediums. I like forums for a place to continue a single topic of discussion as well as tracking deck updates and changes. I know a lot of people use things like goldfish for deckbuilding which it is better for deckbuilding but horrible for discussion and tracking changes.

In short I guess its me saying that forums are constantly losing popularity and it was a real shame what happened to salvation (aka the change of ownership and then informing us that it was going to be taken down and saved at the last second). Feyd has done an amazing job over here on nexus but the problem is still that forums are dying and we somewhat divided the salvation crew coming over here even if we got most of the commander crew I think that also ultimately sub divided the sally crew.

As for the drama of salvation.... yes..... there was a lot of it. I spent a few years as a global mod and I was an admin for a time as well there. I used to get done with work and come home to review something like an hours worth of discussion among the admins essentially daily most of which was fluff talk but as they communicated via a chat tool I was always playing catchup as most of the other admin team at the time were EU guys. I spent a lot of time with eyes on the convo with the gutter closure which to be honest it never should have existed in the first place and it was mandated to be closed by the new owners when curse gaming was buying it. I believe I was a global mod at the time. I also remember a good bit of trolling on both sides of people who trolled those of the gutter community as well as the gutter community creating alts and stirring up %$#% with us back. It wasn't really cool and it was awkward in that some of the staff was inciting them with some of the higher ups sort of protecting those users. It was...... awkward.

Most of what I remember about sally though was the damn bots though. HOLY hell did salvation get a %$#% of bots. Like, on a daily basis I would probably ban 10 bots over there whereas with nexus I have barely seen them. I don't know if it was due to the google popularity of salvation which was a lot higher than here on nexus but it likely was also a hell of a lot less secured against them given how little development attention we got going from hans to curse and off again.

In short, we had to be a lot more responsive on salvation but it was due to higher activity, bots, and some extremely angry users that we had moderated. I still can't believe that we modded @Jivanmukta because holy hell I was like 60% sure it was a matter of time before we were going to have to ban him lol. We also fought for years over keeping the cesspit that was the banned list thread contained to one thread but a lot of the anger of that thread seemed to die off when it became a subforum with separate threads for each topic. We had issues in the past that someone would bring up some valid discussion on a banned card or card they thought should be banned and it would two posts later have a "but sol ring is the problem" and it would just devolve into nonsense and rage comments.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

Dunadain
I like turtles
Answers: 2
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Dunadain » 8 months ago

The waning of forums is a shame, it's not too big of a deal for my hobies like mtg and DnD at the end of the day, it's just a game, but so much valuable information is hidden behind invite-only discords now.
All cards are bad if you try hard enough.

Important decks: Ebondeath, Dracolich, Zask, Phelddagriff
Other: Karrthus, Eris, Emiel, The Blessed, Ruhan, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Help me complete my JumpStart Cube!

Dunadain
I like turtles

Total topic shift, but me and my wife have been watching the T.V. Show Poldark.

In spite of myself I'm really enjoying it. It's a pretty typical historical drama show, but the business side and Ross' feud with George does a lot to make it stand out from all the other shows like it that came out around the same time.

Other: Karrthus, Eris, Emiel, The Blessed, Ruhan, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 8 months ago

Dunadain wrote:
8 months ago
Total topic shift, but me and my wife have been watching the T.V. Show Poldark.

In spite of myself I'm really enjoying it. It's a pretty typical historical drama show, but the business side and Ross' feud with George does a lot to make it stand out from all the other shows like it that came out around the same time.
I've just recently seen that there's a Winter King TV series been released. I'm really hoping it's based on the Bernard Cornwell King Arthur novels, which were AMAZING. He's a very good historical fiction writer, and writes battle scenes very well, too. It's not an easy feat.

I too have heard good things about Poldark. The Sharpe mini-series is meant to be quite good too.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

cheonice
Death to Chronos.

Post by cheonice » 8 months ago

The new Taskmaster season is out! And as always it's stupidly fun. I think all 16! Seasons are up on youtube, so if you are into great british panel shows, give it a try!

Ruiner

Post by Ruiner » 8 months ago

cheonice wrote:
8 months ago
The new Taskmaster season is out! And as always it's stupidly fun. I think all 16! Seasons are up on youtube, so if you are into great british panel shows, give it a try!
This series is off to a strong start for sure.

The NZ version is great as well if you haven't checked that out. Series 4 just wrapped up.

Australia just had their first series this year and it was pretty decent too. The host is kinda "meh" but I'm sure he'll grow into it better if they do more.

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 8 months ago

Huh, I just noticed that dr who is bringing back the Lord creature type. Previously erattaed from existence.

Lord of the Undead|PLS
Lord of the Undead|10E
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Wayta - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Eris - Magda - Ghired2 - Xander - Me - Slogurk - Gilraen - Shelob2 - Kellan1 - Leori - Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

cheonice
Death to Chronos.

TheGildedGoose wrote:
8 months ago
Do I build Myra the Magnificent Rise and Shine Fatal Attractions? Surely, this is too stupid, even for me?
Do it! :D I considered a build with Galazeth Prismari. It sounds stupid, but fun.

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 8 months ago

Dunadain wrote:
8 months ago
The waning of forums is a shame, it's not too big of a deal for my hobies like mtg and DnD at the end of the day, it's just a game, but so much valuable information is hidden behind invite-only discords now.
For me forums died with the IMDb message board closure. Other than Nexus I am on zero forums.

Is it just me or are a lot of conversations moving to Patreon now?
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

Ruiner

Post by Ruiner » 8 months ago

DirkGently wrote:
8 months ago
Huh, I just noticed that dr who is bringing back the Lord creature type. Previously erattaed from existence.

Lord of the Undead|PLS
Lord of the Undead|10E
That's not exactly the case. The Dr. Who set is introducing "Time Lord" as a new creature type, making it the first "two separate words" creature type, which is a bit silly with formatting and consistency. No idea why it couldn't have been "Time-Lord".

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

TheGildedGoose wrote:
8 months ago
Do I build Myra the Magnificent Rise and Shine Fatal Attractions? Surely, this is too stupid, even for me?
I think this idea is rad. Don't forget Cyberdrive Awakener!

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 8 months ago

Dunharrow wrote:
8 months ago
Dunadain wrote:
8 months ago
For me forums died with the IMDb message board closure.
IMDB's boards constituted the most toxic place on the internet for me. Just a bunch of scumbags and a few movie dorks.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 5/26/24 (Modern Horizons III)

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 8 months ago

cheonice wrote:
8 months ago
Do it! :D I considered a build with Galazeth Prismari. It sounds stupid, but fun.
TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
8 months ago
I dunno, I've been in a kind of weird spot for brewing lately. I've been wanting something kind of silly and durdley to play lately but nothing I've found fits the bill. I want to create a Rube Goldberg contraption, something to kind of mess with around with casually where winning wouldn't necessarily be the only goal. Something fiddly, with lots of moving parts and goofy interactions that wins in an outlandish way.

Maybe Myra fits the bill. The deck kind of builds itself, and I'm not playing many particularly unique cards (it's spellsinger artifacts, what can I say), so it's already kind of boring me. Rilsa Rael, Kingpin also seems fun and runs more unique and janky cards. Baba Lysaga, Night Witch without Cadaverous Bloom also sounds about right but is a little more well-worn.

materpillar
the caterpillar

Post by materpillar » 8 months ago

TheGildedGoose wrote:
8 months ago
cheonice wrote:
8 months ago
TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
8 months ago
I dunno, I've been in a kind of weird spot for brewing lately. I've been wanting something kind of silly and durdley to play lately but nothing I've found fits the bill. I want to create a Rube Goldberg contraption, something to kind of mess with around with casually where winning wouldn't necessarily be the only goal. Something fiddly, with lots of moving parts and goofy interactions that wins in an outlandish way.

Maybe Myra fits the bill. The deck kind of builds itself, and I'm not playing many particularly unique cards (it's spellsinger artifacts, what can I say), so it's already kind of boring me. Rilsa Rael, Kingpin also seems fun and runs more unique and janky cards. Baba Lysaga, Night Witch without Cadaverous Bloom also sounds about right but is a little more well-worn.
One of my friends is tilted by Sol Ring. I've been tempted to build Brudiclad, Telchor Engineer make a billion Sol Rings, animate and beat him to death with them. He hasn't annoyed me quite enough yet though.

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 8 months ago

RxPhantom wrote:
8 months ago
Dunharrow wrote:
8 months ago
Dunadain wrote:
8 months ago
IMDB's boards constituted the most toxic place on the internet for me. Just a bunch of scumbags and a few movie dorks.
Weird, the only boards that I found toxic there were Religion and Politics.
The Lord of the Rings board had a community which included linguists, scholars, movie dorks and book fans. Mostly the books were discussed.
I also recall a few other boards that I would check daily where there would be really interesting discussion.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 8 months ago

RxPhantom wrote:
8 months ago
Dunharrow wrote:
8 months ago
Dunadain wrote:
8 months ago
I think there can be a rather abrasive gaming community especially among the competitive gamers sides of a few games too. League of Legends and Overwatch both come to mind for toxic AF teammates. Nothing like your own team completely going off on you for not being literally the best at the game.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

cheonice
Death to Chronos.

TheGildedGoose wrote:
8 months ago
cheonice wrote:
8 months ago
TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
8 months ago

Myra is probably more about the destination (unique gameplay and mechanics) rather than the journey (a deckbuilding challenge). If that's ehat you're looking for, she fits the bill. But be aware that there is an extra turn build with her at the helm...

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 8 months ago

I have contributed 1001 ratings to the soon-to-close EDHrec Salt Scores. Look upon my contribution to our community, and weep at your own inadequacy!
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 5/26/24 (Modern Horizons III)

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

RxPhantom wrote:
8 months ago
I have contributed 1001 ratings to the soon-to-close EDHrec Salt Scores. Look upon my contribution to our community, and weep at your own inadequacy!
Hey now, I did 200 myself. Only card I rated higher than 0 was Winter Orb, which I despise and gave a 4. These days, I think what bothers me more in this format are cards that consume time rather than things that objectively hurt my win%. You can kill me, just be quick about it.

duducrash
Still Learning

Post by duducrash » 8 months ago

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
8 months ago
These days, I think what bothers me more in this format are cards that consume time rather than things that objectively hurt my win%
I agree, spells are fun to see for the fist time but then become a drag. I cut Mizzix's Mastery because of that, arrangin the stack and all that got boring.

Last year I was playing against a artifact deck a lot and he never won, but every turn cycle would be so long, and would take several game actions to like, draw a couple of cards. boring

Dunadain
I like turtles

Why doesn't Shelob, Child of Ungoliant have reach? There's plenty of room on the text box, and it just feels wrong.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”