Unreleased and New Card Discussion

benjameenbear
Pronoun: he / him

Post by benjameenbear » 1 year ago

Primeval Herald LOL. They're trying really hard to make Primeval Titan come back to EDH. I think they did a decent job of it... if you consider getting 1-2 free basics per turn as fair. The fact that it IS restricted to basics is what makes this card balanced IMO and likely to actually be successful at EDH tables. It's cool to see they're revisiting old cards for this kind of design space.

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

Post by Guardman » 1 year ago

benjameenbear wrote:
1 year ago
Primeval Herald LOL. They're trying really hard to make Primeval Titan come back to EDH. I think they did a decent job of it... if you consider getting 1-2 free basics per turn as fair. The fact that it IS restricted to basics is what makes this card balanced IMO and likely to actually be successful at EDH tables. It's cool to see they're revisiting old cards for this kind of design space.
Wait? We're being restricted to basics now?

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 1 year ago

Lita, Mechanical Engineer could be interesting
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

benjameenbear

Post by benjameenbear » 1 year ago

Guardman wrote:
1 year ago
benjameenbear wrote:
1 year ago
Wait? We're being restricted to basics now?
Without Rootpath Purifier in play, yes. Still getting a land every time it ETB OR attacks is probably going to be a problem, even if it IS restricted to just basics.

The new Vampire Angel thingie is pretty cool, art-wise. The mechanic is also pretty interesting. But that CMC makes me look REAL sideways at it. The funny thing is that it could fit into a Kaalia lifegain-themed deck and actually pretty good.

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 1 year ago

Man Zask, Skittering Swarmlord actually looks kinda like a fun restrictive lands commander for me, lots of cool old insects too like Nantuko Cultivator. I might give that a go.

Playing lands from the bin on a commander is very nice, since that effect is the hardest to get reliably in golgari (only a couple effects and they're annoying to find). From a sequencing perspective it makes a lot of sense to jam all your lands into play then cast your commander and be able to recover them, vs. having to ramp into commander.

And any excuse at all to play Hornet Nest and Hornet Queen in EDH.

Really neat design to prevent you from just looping the same insects, but you get to chain through your bin. So we have both mill and card advantage, pretty much a huge all in one engine.

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 1 year ago

pokken wrote:
1 year ago
Playing lands from the bin on a commander is very nice, since that effect is the hardest to get reliably in golgari (only a couple effects and they're annoying to find). From a sequencing perspective it makes a lot of sense to jam all your lands into play then cast your commander
I disagree that Golgari has a hard time finding land recursion effects. Between the three brown and green ones, Golgari also has tutors to find them. My Search for Blex list has no problem finding the recursion spells if it needs them.

pokken

Post by pokken » 1 year ago

TheGildedGoose wrote:
1 year ago
I disagree that Golgari has a hard time finding land recursion effects. Between the three brown and green ones, Golgari also has tutors to find them. My Search for Blex list has no problem finding the recursion spells if it needs them.
There are a lot fewer ways to play unlimited lands from the bin than there are ways to play extra lands, all things considered. Yes, you can jam tutors for them, but not having to play stuff like Crucible of Worlds and Ramunap Excavator really opens up your build options :)

There're a lot more commanders that give extra land drops (at least a few, azusa, gitrog, aesi) than let you play lands from the bin (0) too! :)

materpillar
the caterpillar
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by materpillar » 1 year ago

Holy pushed random niche tribal commanders Batman. I kinda wish they'd stop. Making cuts in my tribal deck is borderline impossible already. I'm pretty sure I could make 3 fairly strong tribal tribal decks with the only overlap being Changelings cards.

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 1 year ago

benjameenbear wrote:
1 year ago
Without Rootpath Purifier in play, yes. Still getting a land every time it ETB OR attacks is probably going to be a problem, even if it IS restricted to just basics.
Highly doubt it. How often will it be better than Explosive Vegetation? It needs to live through an attack to make up for losing a mana the turn after you cast it (relative to veggies), and its only got 1 toughness and costs 4. Also rough matchup vs Sword of the Animist.

Seems okay to me. Will see play, might be fairly good in decks that can protect it, give it haste, etc. Nowhere near prime time, though, not even close.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Wayta - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Eris - Magda - Ghired2 - Xander - Me - Slogurk - Gilraen - Shelob2 - Kellan1 - Leori - Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Hermes_

oh, you like playing Mana Crypt then you'll like Auntie Blyte, Bad Influence

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt
Pronoun: they / them

Post by folding_music » 1 year ago

i do like auntie blyte. that ability kinda dodges that problem a lot of the recent commanders have, where their abilities just seem to be minor variations of more famous, more established stuff. i also like that the conclusion of her ability doesn't lead to a card draw!

duducrash
Still Learning

Post by duducrash » 1 year ago

It seems we will know all of dominaria remastered this week.

Anything in particular you want?

I'm not sure where Phyrexian Tower but I need one and would love to pay slightly less. Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth would be sweet too

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 1 year ago

duducrash wrote:
1 year ago
It seems we will know all of dominaria remastered this week.

Anything in particular you want?

I'm not sure where Phyrexian Tower but I need one and would love to pay slightly less. Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth would be sweet too
I'd second both of those. I'll take cheaper Mirage tutors and/or Gamble if they're on offer, allied fetches, Ancient Tomb and any of the Orbs, Wires or Spheres involved in a stax list. Not asking much huh lol
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 1 year ago

I really don't care about reprints for the most part. Sometimes if prices drop enough I buy some singles but I would rather see new cards than reprints.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 1 year ago

ISBPathfinder wrote:
1 year ago
I really don't care about reprints for the most part. Sometimes if prices drop enough I buy some singles but I would rather see new cards than reprints.
That's fair. For myself as someone who missed a lot of format staples, it's nice to just bolster the collection where I can. I like new stuff, but sometimes it's nice to be able to take a deck as far as it can go, and that's hard without some of the pricier pieces.

side note - spoilers are now coming through, aaaaand the set is stacked.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 1 year ago

The mad lads finally did it. The Romas "white tree" Swamp has finally been reprinted! Now everyone can have access to the objectively greatest art ever printed on a black mana producing basic land (without paying 5-7 bucks a pop for Portal copies at least).

Everything else is knda meh. There's a lot of junk like Shivan Dragon and Denizen of the Deep alongside the premier reprints, and even the chosen reprints are mostly cards that got reprints in the last two years anyway.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

duducrash
Still Learning

Holy crap boderless Worldgorger Dragon is stunning. Im not sure how to chose specific printing but its my favorite art of the year, maybe of modern magic cards, RKF Vampiric tutor also goes hard

Hermes_

duducrash wrote:
1 year ago
Holy crap boderless Worldgorger Dragon is stunning. Im not sure how to chose specific printing but its my favorite art of the year, maybe of modern magic cards, RKF Vampiric tutor also goes hard
that full art Maze of Ith and Dark Depths

EonAon

Post by EonAon » 1 year ago

Is this stuff going to be standard/modern legal? Or is this going to be legal in the formats it can be legal in? I tried researching but came up dry.

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

Post by Lifeless » 1 year ago

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
1 year ago
The mad lads finally did it. The Romas "white tree" Swamp has finally been reprinted! Now everyone can have access to the objectively greatest art ever printed on a black mana producing basic land (without paying 5-7 bucks a pop for Portal copies at least).

Everything else is knda meh. There's a lot of junk like Shivan Dragon and Denizen of the Deep alongside the premier reprints, and even the chosen reprints are mostly cards that got reprints in the last two years anyway.
I would do unspeakable acts for full art pink flower swamps from Onslaught.

As for the rest of this set there's some cool alternate art for several cards I already have too many copies of anyway. Once again I look forward to forgetting this set exists in the near future.

duducrash
Still Learning

EonAon wrote:
1 year ago
Is this stuff going to be standard/modern legal? Or is this going to be legal in the formats it can be legal in? I tried researching but came up dry.
Legal in the formats they are already legal, just reprints

Hermes_

well https://mtgrocks.com/phyrexia-all-will- ... -feedback/

"We've heard a lot of feedback lately related to two things, we've actually heard a lot of feedback related to a lot of things, but I'm going to talk about two things today. One is the prevalence of preview season, and the other is releases being on top of one another. So, we are making some slight changes to adjust for that, including this quick preview season for DMR and some shifts for Phyrexia: All Will Be One."

Blake Rasmussen – Wizards of the Coast

so everything for All will be one has been pushed back by a WHOLE WEEK

"2023 releases are pretty locked in. There's only so much we can tweak. But we do have a few knobs we can turn, so what we're gonna do is we're gonna push back, Phyrexia All Will Be One's release date by a week. […] So again, we're pushing it back a little bit to try to give a little bit more. You know, there wasn't much more we could push it, given how close we are, but I think the team here felt that giving a little bit more time was important."

Blake Rasmussen – Wizards of the Coast

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt
Pronoun: they / them

Post by folding_music » 1 year ago

can't wait to be literally suffocated by cardboard \o/

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

Post by Lifeless » 1 year ago

I still believe there's a slim chance we'll see fewer releases in the future it's not going to be until the distant future since they plan everything so far in advance. It'll be interesting to see what the market looks like after another year of this.

Dunadain
I like turtles
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Dunadain » 1 year ago

I mean, it's not much but I believe them chaging the release date of product so close is probably nearly impossible.

I read it as "we hear you, but so much goes into these releases that we can't feasibly change the dates that have already been set, we'll push it back a week as a token of good faith and slow down when planning future release dates."
All cards are bad if you try hard enough.

Important decks: Ebondeath, Dracolich, Zask, Phelddagriff
Other: Karrthus, Eris, Emiel, The Blessed, Ruhan, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Help me complete my JumpStart Cube!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”