[Off-Topic] Community Chat Thread

Hermes_
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Hermes_ » 4 months ago

duducrash wrote:
4 months ago
I will not kinkshame. As matter of fact I'll tell you, you'll probably like Massacre Girl|SLD that SLD was pretty amazing imho
I will if that's your kink ;) :rofl:

Now we should work on an art tribal deck for @DirkGently , we know chair tribal is a thing and goth girl, but what else?
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 4 months ago

Had a rough past 24 hours.
sadness
Show
Hide
Lily found an adorable Morepork (NZ species of small owl) at her parents' house that seemed to maybe be concussed - wasn't making much attempt to fly and was fairly easy to catch. After naming it George, we took it to a vet who said they'd hold onto it and contact the relevant agencies. Fair enough, job done.

But then they called back a few hours later and said that nobody could really take it right now, and it would best be released where it was found after it recovered anyway, so we could take it. I drove over and, after trying to find some good information about what to feed it (can't seem to find anything beyond "they eat large insects and small rodents" - yeah, let me just pick those up from the grocery store), picked up some cat food on the way to feed it. The vet gives me some cat food as well when she hands it back over. Got it to eat some, and it chilled out enough to perch on our fingers. It did nip a bit but it was too small to do any real damage.

I stay up late before heading off to deliver papers, and Lily asks if I can try to feed it before I go. When I try to feed it, it's not very responsive. I'm hoping it's just tired, given that it was awake for most of the day, but wake up Lily to have a look at it just in case.

She calls me an hour into my run. The owl is dead. Online she's seen that cat food isn't suitable for owls because it's processed. I look around online to verify and find a video saying that feeding owls processed meat can kill them in a matter of hours. Oh, and they mention that it will also be very painful for the animal.

Spend the rest of the night really upset. Obviously feeling very guilty, plus angry that it was so hard to find good information about what to feed them - the vet clearly didn't know about it either. I'd sent a bunch of pictures to family and friends in the US, who are now waking up and saying how cute it is.

Go to sleep when I get home, and wake up feeling worse. Lily calls the DOC about what to do with the body, and also asks if the cat food would have killed it so quickly. Guy was very nice, he says that it definitely wasn't the food and that concussions can go either way. Most likely there was nothing we could have done.

Emotions are weird. As upset as I was last night, somehow the relief of finding out that we didn't kill George is the thing that made me ugly cry. And now I'm doing it again typing this up. Christ I'm a mess.

Rest in peace George.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Wayta - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Eris - Magda - Ghired2 - Xander - Me - Slogurk - Gilraen - Shelob2 - Kellan1 - Leori - Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

materpillar
the caterpillar
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by materpillar » 4 months ago

@DirkGently Sorry to read about that. I hope you're feeling better.
duducrash wrote:
4 months ago
I will not kinkshame. As matter of fact I'll tell you, you'll probably like Massacre Girl|SLD that SLD was pretty amazing imho
Ah, that's the massacre girl that made me think of Yor not the new one. They're pretty interlinked in my brain now though. I don't think I have a kink per se but I definitely find women that can present a non-zero amount of violence to be more attractive. Like how some people find brunettes slightly more attractive than blondes? The amount of knives my wife has gotten through various metal detectors and securities is quite astonishing.

duducrash
Still Learning

Post by duducrash » 4 months ago

ISBPathfinder wrote:
4 months ago
pokken wrote:
4 months ago
The sheer amount of card and mana advantage they're willing to put on cards these days is really confusing to me. I wonder how long it is before Primeval Titan is too slow.
It depends a lot on the meta you are in. I honestly think the meta I regularly play in its already too slow.

Posting here to not hijack (?) @pokken 's thread.

Do you all agree with this sentiment? I feel prime time would be perhaps the single strogest card in the tier below cEDH. Not only it's an inclusion in every deck, it also warps how you build the deck, utility lands become much much better when prime time comes arround.

Dunadain
I like turtles
Answers: 2

Post by Dunadain » 4 months ago

Can't there be some option between "strongest card in the tier below cEDH" and too slow to even be played? Because I'd bet my last dollar it's somewhere in that range XD.
All cards are bad if you try hard enough.

Important decks: Ebondeath, Dracolich, Zask, Phelddagriff
Other: Karrthus, Eris, Emiel, The Blessed, Ruhan, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Help me complete my JumpStart Cube!

duducrash
Still Learning

Dunadain wrote:
4 months ago
Can't there be some option between "strongest card in the tier below cEDH" and too slow to even be played? Because I'd bet my last dollar it's somewhere in that range XD.
No!! It's my opinion or no opinion!

I'm kidding, but I'm interested in hearing opinions. Is it slow enough to warrant an unban in your opinion? How good you think it is and how often would you run it? Did I just order a playset of sweet prime times in a kaladesh frame ?

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 4 months ago

Have you ever played against a Jhoira, Weatherlight Captain deck? Its totally not cEDH because it gets absolutely bent over by removal but its a remove me or die immediately commander. I can't even tell you how many times I have died by turn 4 to this commander who is totally not cEDH. A buddy of mine even did a budget list where he built it for a few hundred dollars tops and it barely slowed it down.

I am not saying that every deck I play against is Jhoira, but I have also played against at least 3 instances where someone plays The One Ring on my turn 2 since its been launched. We don't have even a tenth of the clones in circulation that we did previously because they no longer kill commanders and ETB value is out of favor. I am not saying that primeval titan would be bad or unplayed, I am just saying I see much faster games now and I don't play cEDH. The time to kill for my games has increased from where I would have put it at turns 10-15 fairly consistently back 10 years ago to now being often turns 6-9 for me now.

I have a very spooky Indominus Rex, Alpha deck which I seldom bring out and while I wouldn't say its win rate is bad I often die very violently out of nowhere before I can actually establish myself. That deck tends to die by turn six or win.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

materpillar
the caterpillar

duducrash wrote:
4 months ago
ISBPathfinder wrote:
4 months ago
pokken wrote:
4 months ago
The sheer amount of card and mana advantage they're willing to put on cards these days is really confusing to me. I wonder how long it is before Primeval Titan is too slow.
It depends a lot on the meta you are in. I honestly think the meta I regularly play in its already too slow.
Posting here to not hijack (?) @pokken 's thread.

Do you all agree with this sentiment? I feel prime time would be perhaps the single strongest card in the tier below cEDH. Not only it's an inclusion in every deck, it also warps how you build the deck, utility lands become much much better when prime time comes around.
The joyous thing about EDH is there are a lot battlecruiser metas still around. I think it's still too game warping for those lower power games. At least I'd rather not see it anywhere near the games that I play.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

I mean, I kind of do it to myself a little bit just because of its one of my options. There is some more casual play earlier in the week but I can't make that timeslot and then there is cEDH on Friday nights and with what I already get I just try to avoid intentionally stepping that up lol. There is also weekly games much closer to me at the college which honestly is way less work on my end but the problem is that a lot of them have WAY casual decks and so I go in and just feel bad about it so I avoid beating them up.

I do actually like the challenge and its not to say that every game goes as fast as what I was describing its just kind of a crap shoot. You might sit down with a super causal deck and suddenly someone blows their load especially hard and kills everyone on turn 5 but then the next game you might be in the turn 10+ range. Its just frustrating because its hard to get people on the same page of speed. I actually felt really bad the other week because we had a very new player and we tried rolling for random seats multiple times and he kept getting on my table with me and I just didn't have anything more casual to the level he was playing on but he had a really slow rolling vampire tribal deck and I just couldn't step down to that level offhand.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

Post by Lifeless » 4 months ago

The issue with Prime-time in my group (keeping in mind I have what I consider a prototypical EDH group) was that it was massively centralizing. Every game someone would play Prime-time and then the table would play a Shahrazad game of who could make everyone the most miserable with clones and reanimation. The big caveat is this was prior to the legends rule change and therefore clone effects were ubiquitous as commander removal. So ultimately thanks to changing trends in the format and power creep I wouldn't expect him to be nearly as troublesome as he was at that time. I'd be much happier to see him every game again than Sylvan Primordial that's for sure.

gsgfdf

Post by gsgfdf » 4 months ago

I just missed Primeval Titan being legal but I was around when Sylvan Primordial was running rampant. It was the best creature in my Omnath, Locus of Mana just casting it for the full cost and it was the first tutor and/or reanimate target in Karador, Ghost Chieftain. And since the effect wasn't optional there was a lot of random lands getting hit. I vividly remember casting it in a table of five and when my turn came around I had less lands than before from all the clones etc.

A card with a similar play pattern is Etali, Primal Conqueror // Etali, Primal Sickness. I resolved Bribery and I was contemplating who to target and someone said "Player X runs Etali" and it was the obvious choice. In the same game I cast my own copy and hit Phyrexian Metamorph as well :x

Dunadain
I like turtles

My daughter has a fever and was up all night crying, I feel like a zombie. We got lucky and she's always slept really well, so I think this is my first completely sleepless night since she was born. This sucks.

Other: Karrthus, Eris, Emiel, The Blessed, Ruhan, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 4 months ago

Dunadain wrote:
4 months ago
My daughter has a fever and was up all night crying, I feel like a zombie. We got lucky and she's always slept really well, so I think this is my first completely sleepless night since she was born. This sucks.
I know that feeling. I hope she's feeling better. Have you given her anything?
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 5/26/24 (Modern Horizons III)

Dunadain
I like turtles

RxPhantom wrote:
4 months ago
Dunadain wrote:
4 months ago
I know that feeling. I hope she's feeling better. Have you given her anything?
Some infant tylenol, though she threw up immediately afterwards, so I'm not sure how much stayed down. She's finally sleeping now though.

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

Post by Lifeless » 4 months ago

Both my kids were (are) atrocious sleepers so I feel your pain. With my son it was 2.5 years until he slept through the night. And my daughter is the kid who catches every minor illness and chucks like an Exorcist screen test. So yeah, I hope it passes quick and you all get some rest.

duducrash
Still Learning

TheGildedGoose wrote:
4 months ago
Having to euthanize our third senior dog in two years. It never gets easier.
Damn Goose, sorry to hear that. I'm sure it never gets easy and im sure it never will. My heart goes for you and yours at this time

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

TheGildedGoose wrote:
4 months ago
No, it never does. The three times so that I've lost dogs are counted among the worst days of my life. I lost my old man Ferrous just last month.

I'm sorry you're going through this, Goose. I hope your family has some good luck soon.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 5/26/24 (Modern Horizons III)

Hermes_

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 4 months ago

TheGildedGoose wrote:
4 months ago
Ah that's awful. Losing a pet is hard, that's chosen family. Which in a big way is more meaningful, at least to me. It's even harder having to make that decision, too. We had a cat run down in front of myself and my then 1yo kid a couple years back; she survived but with broken hips, so we had to then and there get her to a vet and euthanize. It's hard, but the best thing you can do for them is give them peace, and be there for them while they depart. I choose to see the hurt of their departure as memory of all the good times and love you shared, they're still with you while they're remembered. Stay strong and go well Goose.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

Hermes_

https://mtgrocks.com/wizards-of-the-coa ... ster-pack/

So they realized they screwed up with the MoM:Aftermath and have attempted to fix the issues. Breaking things down a bit, the Beyond Booster contains seven cards and one token/ad. The first three slots for Beyond Boosters are guaranteed to be nonfoil uncommon cards. This is a similar structure to the Epilogue Boosters.

Lucky (or not?) for @DirkGently you won't be bale to draft the Assassin's creed set

Fortunately, it was also revealed in this week's Weekly MTG that the "total size of a Beyond Booster is about double that of an Epilogue set." This means that about 100 cards will be available in a Beyond Booster set, but there are no common cards in the set.

Slot four contains either a dedicated non-foil land or a scene card. Calling back to the Lord of the Rings: Tales of Middle-earth set, Scene cards are cards that take artwork from a larger scene. You can combine all of the Scene art cards to recreate the scene yourself. These, of course, can also contain rare cards.

Slot five contains the standard Rare or Mythic per pack. Slot six is a guaranteed traditional foil card, and slot #7 contains some sort of Booster fun shenanigans. Reprints and new cards were mentioned to appear in Beyond Boosters.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

I'm so tired of WotC's labyrinthine booster pack nonsense. Remember when they'd just print sets and sell them in packs and precons? Remember when you didn't t need a flow chart and a degree in engineering to figure out what was in a booster? Pepperidge Farm remembers.

The reception to MKM seems to be lukewarm, and I feel that part of it is their strategy of perpetual hype is finally starting to dull any excitement for new releases. They've been redlining that engine for too long, and I think it's about to give out.

materpillar
the caterpillar

RxPhantom wrote:
4 months ago
I'm so tired of WotC's labyrinthine booster pack nonsense. Remember when they'd just print sets and sell them in packs and precons? Remember when you didn't t need a flow chart and a degree in engineering to figure out what was in a booster? Pepperidge Farm remembers.

The reception to MKM seems to be lukewarm, and I feel that part of it is their strategy of perpetual hype is finally starting to dull any excitement for new releases. They've been redlining that engine for too long, and I think it's about to give out.
I remember their first super VIP pack that was $100 or something. That was roughly the time I checked out. Gotta make those loot boxes even more predatory for that sweet sweet cash.

*shrug*
I've been on the all proxy all the time train for a few years now.

pokken

Post by pokken » 4 months ago

materpillar wrote:
4 months ago
Gotta make those loot boxes even more predatory for that sweet sweet cash.
I feel like the train has to eventually end, it's bleepin crazy now with how many things there are and how many treatments of everything ther are.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

materpillar wrote:
4 months ago
I remember their first super VIP pack that was $100 or something. That was roughly the time I checked out. Gotta make those loot boxes even more predatory for that sweet sweet cash.

*shrug*
I've been on the all proxy all the time train for a few years now.
I have been on the only buy singles train for like the last 10 years because packs and loot boxes are preditory. If you can see exactly what it costs to obtain something its not quite so bad but when it turns into a gambling addiction and you just need one more pull..... thats when you need to super stop.

Not saying that singles are cheap but you know exactly what its going to cost for a project or improvement.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”