[mtgnexus] Random Card of the Day - North Star

materpillar
the caterpillar
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by materpillar » 5 months ago

Dunadain wrote:
5 months ago
What I'm trying to argue is that Glen Elendra Archmage's need to be face up to work is a downside.

Imagine the scenario where I have Glen Elendra Archmage out with no available synergies, then imagine an identical situation, except I have a 2/2 with flying and persist out on the field, and an additional two cards in hand, both of with are 1-mana Negates, except I can only use them if I didn't spend 4 mana at any point during the game. You'll also have to assume my maximum hand size has been increased by 2 somehow.

Obviously, there is no card in the game that can do all that, but assuming you had a choice between the two scenarios, I think the second scenario is pretty clearly stronger. Therefore, whatever advantages Glen Elendra Archmage has over alternatives (and there are many) the fact that she must be face up to work is clearly not one of them.
Sure. Glen Elendra Archmage is better if you cast it with Illusionary Mask while controlling Holdout Settlement so your opponents have less information. I don't think anyone is going to argue that all things being strictly equal giving your opponents less information is better.

This downside of giving your opponents information is that they can use that information to play around your cards. It's really really hard for one opponent to brute force play through Glen Elendra Archmage to the extent that, in my opinion, that downside of face up information is negligible.

To compare, in my experience Nevinyrral's Disk's face up information makes everyone kill you since everything they commit to the board is just going to die. So people commit resources to making you use the disk. With Glen Elendra Archmage the stack based decks will start sweating but more fair creature combat decks will care less. So if you clearly state your intent is to keep the other blue combo deck in check, GEA will do that while the other decks at the table maul them into a pulp and mostly ignore GEA. Then, only the player that is weak to GEA is committing resources to dealing with her and so she's doing what she excels at.

Dunadain
I like turtles
Answers: 2

Post by Dunadain » 5 months ago

materpillar wrote:
5 months ago
Sure. Glen Elendra Archmage is better if you cast it with Illusionary Mask while controlling Holdout Settlement so your opponents have less information. I don't think anyone is going to argue that all things being strictly equal giving your opponents less information is better.
Unless I'm woefully misunderstanding @yeti1069, that's exactly what he's arguing.

I agree with everything else you said.
All cards are bad if you try hard enough.

Important decks: Ebondeath, Dracolich, Zask, Phelddagriff
Other: Karrthus, Eris, Emiel, The Blessed, Ruhan, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Help me complete my JumpStart Cube!

OneAndOnly
Pronoun: he / him

Post by OneAndOnly » 5 months ago

DirkGently wrote:
5 months ago
Okay but actually, looking at the image compared to an actual old card, say Jareth, Leonine Titan|ONS, it looks clearly different. In particular the text box is significantly brighter on Losheel, and I swear the text looks different though I can't quite put my finger on it. I find it jarring to look at tbh. It's like the uncanny valley for cards.
Older cards used Goudy Medieval for the font; newer cards use WotC's in-house font, called Beleren.

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 5 months ago

tstorm823 wrote:
5 months ago
You analyzed a play pattern that I would personally pursue with the explanation of that play pattern being "a scrub". I volunteered my own thoughts on the situation, an alternative to just being "a scrub", that you might consider maybe people are more clever than you were giving them credit for.

Does this convince you that I disagreed with the content of the post, rather than attempting to attack you personally?
I was describing an experience I have had playing against other people, and how I understand the logic of their decisions - and I can guarantee those players weren't taking that psychological read. How you would react could be worthy of discussion but it's not in disagreement with the events of games I experienced in the past.

"I've met a lot of people that will go "that dude is messing with us, get him!" and punch through your counter wall even if it screws them over."

"Personally, if someone revealed a counterspell, I would assume....and punch through it as well, so there are other reasons to do the same thing." ← reasonable, helpful, good take.

"I DON'T THINK THIS IS ACCURATE. I would do the same thing for other reasons" ← unnecessarily contentious

What's funny is that the next sentence ("It may have something to it in your case") tempers your statement, so you were really close to responding without fabricating a reason to disagree.

Taken individually this would hardly be worth mentioning, but I'm just saying - it's a pattern that I've noticed.
OneAndOnly wrote:
5 months ago
Older cards used Goudy Medieval for the font; newer cards use WotC's in-house font, called Beleren.
I thought it might be that too, but after comparing closely I don't think so. Comparing the cards side by side, I think they use the same font as other old cards. Compare the capital "H" for a particularly stark example.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Wayta - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Eris - Magda - Ghired2 - Xander - Me - Slogurk - Gilraen - Shelob2 - Kellan1 - Leori - Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool

Post by tstorm823 » 5 months ago

DirkGently wrote:
5 months ago
"I DON'T THINK THIS IS ACCURATE. I would do the same thing for other reasons" ← unnecessarily contentious
You think "I do not think this is accurate" is unnecessarily contentious, responding to a post describing people as "scrubs".

You're noticing a pattern in my behavior that is all response to your own. You are taking it as me deliberately targeting you, but in reality you just make the kind of statements that I feel compelled to respond to.
Zedruu: "This deck is not only able to go crazy - it also needs to do so."

DirkGently

tstorm823 wrote:
5 months ago
DirkGently wrote:
5 months ago
You think "I do not think this is accurate" is unnecessarily contentious, responding to a post describing people as "scrubs".

You're noticing a pattern in my behavior that is all response to your own. You are taking it as me deliberately targeting you, but in reality you just make the kind of statements that I feel compelled to respond to.
I'm sorry, but I can't take seriously the idea that being disparaging of some people I vaguely gestured at, who aren't here and whom I didn't name, is "contentious". Do you know those players? You know that they were actually skilled players? I suppose you must know that, otherwise how would you know I was wrong?

I don't doubt that I make the kind of statements that you feel compelled to disagree with - otherwise you wouldn't keep doing it. But what I suggest you do, when you feel this compulsion, is to consider whether you actually have a strong grounds for disagreement or if you're letting your impulses get the better of you.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Eris - Magda - Ghired2 - Xander - Me - Slogurk - Gilraen - Shelob2 - Kellan1 - Leori - Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool

DirkGently wrote:
5 months ago
I'm sorry, but I can't take seriously the idea that being disparaging of some people I vaguely gestured at, who aren't here and whom I didn't name, is "contentious". Do you know those players? You know that they were actually skilled players? I suppose you must know that, otherwise how would you know I was wrong?
Because the person you described isn't real. You are, at worst, making up people to look down on. You are, at best, trying to guess at the inner thoughts of another person, and your guess is bad. Do you really think there are players that think "Oh! My opponent is revealing cards from their hand, that must mean they are exceptionally skilled, I should attack them first because they are so skilled"? I don't think that's a real person. In your case, maybe there is something seemingly close, maybe you have players who can think "Dirk is good at this game, if he's revealing the card he must be up to something, I should focus there", but that's not the same thing as "throwing logic to the wind and blindly gunning for him", rather that would be a perfectly logical strategy deduced from prior experience.

DirkGently

tstorm823 wrote:
5 months ago
Because the person you described isn't real. You are, at worst, making up people to look down on. You are, at best, trying to guess at the inner thoughts of another person, and your guess is bad. Do you really think there are players that think "Oh! My opponent is revealing cards from their hand, that must mean they are exceptionally skilled, I should attack them first because they are so skilled"? I don't think that's a real person. In your case, maybe there is something seemingly close, maybe you have players who can think "Dirk is good at this game, if he's revealing the card he must be up to something, I should focus there", but that's not the same thing as "throwing logic to the wind and blindly gunning for him", rather that would be a perfectly logical strategy deduced from prior experience.
Pretty bold move to cast me as arrogant for my read of other players' motivations, while asserting your own read as superior for a game that you never played, against players you never met.

You're also misunderstanding what I said. I don't think these players are consciously thinking this way, and I don't think revealing counterspells proves you are "exceptionally skilled" - if anything, I think it's usually an indication of a more fledgling understanding of multiplayer dynamics, rather than a fully developed one (as I said, I don't reveal counterspells anymore, and reveal removal only rarely). However, it does indicate that someone is thinking outside the box, and there are players who have no interest in those sorts of overtly political maneuvers and bristle at them being employed. I don't need to read anyone's mind for that - I've talked to plenty of people who will outright say "I don't do politics", and have targeted me explicitly because I'm "pulling that political crap". I'm not guessing, just listening to the words coming out of their mouth. In many cases these weren't people who knew me and were making judgments based on previous games, but pickup games against people I'd never met before and never saw again.

But I'm sure you know best about my own experiences.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 5 months ago

Wednesday, December 20th, 2023; Cartographer's Hawk

Idk, I think this card gets more heat than it should tbh. Two drop, evasive, can fetch duals straight to the board. It's play pattern isn't so unlike KotWO and that card sees lots of play without the ability to self-enable itself. I get everyone wants to play bombs.dek, but not everything needs to be a homerun, when a base hit will do the job.
Steel Sabotage'ng Orbs of Mellowness since 2011.

I collect Kaalia of the Vast normal-size cards. Do you have any extra taking up space in your binder? Help me grow my collection! :)

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

Dunadain
I like turtles

In a vacuum, Cartographer's Hawk looks fine, and it would probably function just fine if I played it, but even in mono white I find i have enough alternatives that hawk never makes the cut.

Not sure I'd compare it to Knight of the White Orchid, as Knight is a full turn faster, which matters a lot when it comes to ramp.

Other: Karrthus, Eris, Emiel, The Blessed, Ruhan, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Toshi
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Post by Toshi » 5 months ago

Dunadain wrote:
5 months ago
Not sure I'd compare it to Knight of the White Orchid, as Knight is a full turn faster, which matters a lot when it comes to ramp.
It's two turns faster since the Plains from Cartographer's Hawk etbs tapped. Plus, its etb is more reliable.

Dunadain
I like turtles

@Toshi true, though, in fairness, you don't get ahead on mana until the turn after you play Knight.

PrimevalCommander

Post by PrimevalCommander » 5 months ago

Hawk's self-bounce feature makes it difficult to get recurring value out of for how slow it is. As mentioned, the plains enters tapped, which means you get an extra mana every third turn if you can connect to a player with more lands than you. 2 mana, flying, 2 power, looks good, but as soon as you put it in your ramp slot expecting some acceleration from this card, you might feel dissapointed.

I'm playing it in God-Eternal Oketra since the self bounce is a feature, not a bug, to trigger my commander more times. Otherwise I just think it is too slow and conditional. Land entering untapped would be cool since you get the mana on turn 3 to actually make it accelerate you, but they are quite conservative on white land-ramp right now.

Anyone notice how most anything that comes out recently that names a basic land type specifically say "basic plains" or "basic forest" even after printing dual-types lands at common? Seems odd to me.

materpillar
the caterpillar

Post by materpillar » 5 months ago

I was super hyped when this first got spoiled. I've seen it exactly never.

DirkGently

@Dunadain @Toshi I'd say that (from starting hand) they're about the same. You can play the hawk on 2 and then trigger it for free on 3 (unless you're going first and nobody else plays land ramp) so you've got 3 mana on 3, whereas knight you have to cast t3 to ramp (unless someone before you played land ramp) (same problem as hawk when going first) which puts you 2 mana down. So knight gives you 2 turns with 2 mana whereas hawk gives you 1 turn of 3 mana. And ofc you untap with 5 on t4 either way.

Ofc if you topdeck knight later he gives you the mana right away, so that's good.

I do like the hawk but it's pretty slow and conditional. It's hard to trigger more than once in a relevant amount of time.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Mookie
Answers: 48

Post by Mookie » 5 months ago

Cartographer's Hawk (and other white catch-up ramp) is something I want to like, but find awkward in practice. The more tuned your deck is and the better you are at hitting land drops, the worse it becomes. It's good if one of your opponents is doing a bunch of green land-based ramp, but if they're playing mana dorks or rocks, then it becomes less consistent. They can also be good if you go last (or miss a land drop), but I wouldn't want to skip a land drop to enable them if I go first. They also go down in value if you're running Sword of the Animist, Sun Titan + fetchlands, or other sources of land ramp. This means I usually lean towards more consistent sources of ramp over catch-up ramp.

I do like the idea of Cartographer's Hawk in white decks that care about casting creature spells (like God-Eternal Oketra), and it's also reasonable in equipment-based strategies that don't mind a cheap flier. It also seems reasonable if you go all-in on reducing your land count with stuff like Lotus Field. I'd probably still favor Archaeomancer's Map / Keeper of the Accord though.

yeti1069

Post by yeti1069 » 5 months ago

I feel like I should maybe try this in my Vadrok, Apex of Thunder voltron deck, just because mutating onto a creature that can bounce itself for value has some...value. Still, Hawk is SLOOOOOW. Dropped on turn 2 it's ok, but any later in the game and it just takes too long to do its thing.

Hawk
Slayer of Threads

Post by Hawk » 5 months ago

I feel like I'm legally obligated to have an opinion on this card, and my opinion is it's underwhelming - slow, fragile, conditional. Knight of the White Orchid sees more play partially because of its immediately, and partially because its typeline lends itself to both Human and Knight tribal, which are infinitely more common than Bird tribal. I'm also spoiled to have a full playset of Weathered Wayfarer which cannot ramp you but which can find any land for shenanigans, and I prefer that 9/10 times (and it's no longer a $$$ card after its 2XM reprint brought it down to a buck).

It's hard to say it's underplayed at over 10,000 decks on EDHRECs, and I'm glad it's down to uncommon to be more readily available for the various UWx Bird or Flier decks that want it. I feel like this is slow and replaceable enough that you really need some extra reasons like having Kangee, Sky Warden.

PrimevalCommander

Post by PrimevalCommander » 5 months ago

I might need to try this out in Sefris of the Hidden Ways as a 2 drop ramp creature that can return to hand for looting away for dungeon triggers. Interesting idea since the body is not too valuable late game as ramp, but as discard fodder is it better. I'll put it on the maybeboard for that deck. '

Also added a mental note in case I build a peasant (common+uncommon only) Radiant, Serra Archangel + Esior, Wardwing Familiar control deck to play against the local guys who just love A+B combos, but suck at deckbuilding.

Didn't think I'd find that many use cases for this card. I think I have 2 copies and would be amazed if I had to get a 3rd after bashing it moments ago :P

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 5 months ago

Hawk wrote:
5 months ago
It's hard to say it's underplayed at over 10,000 decks on EDHRECs, and I'm glad it's down to uncommon to be more readily available for the various UWx Bird or Flier decks that want it. I feel like this is slow and replaceable enough that you really need some extra reasons like having Kangee, Sky Warden.
This didn't exist then, but I had Alesha Bird💩 at one point. This card makes me want to revisit that, because Mardu birds is interesting. Plus I can have an excuse to bring back Soraya the Falconer because banding rocks.
Steel Sabotage'ng Orbs of Mellowness since 2011.

I collect Kaalia of the Vast normal-size cards. Do you have any extra taking up space in your binder? Help me grow my collection! :)

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool

DirkGently wrote:
5 months ago
I've talked to plenty of people who will outright say "I don't do politics", and have targeted me explicitly because I'm "pulling that political crap".
If there's a fault in this, it's only that they have the wrong words to describe it. Everyone does politics, it's inherent in multiplayer settings, even without saying a word. What they ought to say is that they don't appreciate collusion or coercion.

But their instincts are right. If you started trying to convince people to make plays they otherwise wouldn't, using words rather than game actions, you'd be my primary target. If you intend to manipulate other players resources, the threat assessment associated with their resources is coming back at you in return.

DirkGently

tstorm823 wrote:
5 months ago
If there's a fault in this, it's only that they have the wrong words to describe it. Everyone does politics, it's inherent in multiplayer settings, even without saying a word.
Agreed. Well, except for the "only" part.
What they ought to say is that they don't appreciate collusion or coercion.
Honestly we're talking primarily about games from ~8 years ago so I don't remember exactly what I did in each individual game to get targeted. So I can't say for sure whether I got targeted in any particular game simply for revealing an answer (the original topic of conversation, and something I did a lot back then) or if I made verbal deals, or whatever else. Though based on your terminology I'd assume you'd consider revealing an answer as "coercion" since there is an implied threat regardless of whether you outright say "I will use this on you if you do something I don't like", so regardless of what specifically I did in any particular game it would still presumably fit your description.

But then, there's also the exact same implied threat in playing an on-board answer like GEA (or say, Seal of Doom), and I'm assuming that merely playing a card doesn't mean you're engaging in supposed "coercion", so maybe you'd better tell me where you think the line is.
But their instincts are right. If you started trying to convince people to make plays they otherwise wouldn't, using words rather than game actions, you'd be my primary target. If you intend to manipulate other players resources, the threat assessment associated with their resources is coming back at you in return.
Maybe you'd better clarify what exactly you're going to do in this theoretical game. Okay, let's say I reveal a counterspell in an attempt to generally slow people down for fear of being countered. Previously you said, once you have some important spell(s) you need to cast, you'd force out the counter based on the psychological read that I probably have only one answer and am trying to get more bang for buck out of it. Now it seems like you're saying you're going to target me regardless of game state because I'm "using words rather than game actions" to "convince people to make plays they otherwise wouldn't". Unless you think the line is literally using words? So saying "I have a counterspell and I'll use it if someone does something I really don't like" is bad, but revealing the counterspell and implying the exact same thing is okay? Idk, you tell me where the line is.

Personally I would say coercion and collusion are just part of the nature of a FFA game. If you have a bunch of walls, that's a threat that you'll block someone's attacks, and so will probably send that attack elsewhere. If two players pass a Humble Defector back and forth because the other player remains the biggest threat, that's collusion. Words aren't necessary for any of this.

Your previous assessment seemed much better to me. This one seems simplistic. Making deals and threats isn't mind control, just because someone is doing overtly political stuff doesn't mean they suddenly have complete control over someone else's resources. If they're offering bad deals or making empty threats, you have just as much of a voice to convince the other person not to accept them on that basis, or to make counteroffers yourself. And even if they're making good deals that can't be countered just by pointing out that they're a bad deal for the recipient, their "control" only lasts for as long, and to the degree, that they continue to be good. i.e. "I'll give you three hippos if you don't attack me this turn" doesn't give the political player the power to force the attacks at someone else, and 3 hippos may stop being a sufficient payment by the next turn. Any offer, no matter how great, will eventually stop being a sufficient payment at some point in a FFA game.

But to return to the top of your post - "they have the wrong words to describe it". Yes, that's exactly what I've been saying this whole time. Their justification, both external and presumably internal, is "politics bad". Their justification lacks understanding and is, at face value, illogical.

However, and again my point from the beginning, is that there IS an underlying logic to it, even if that logic isn't conscious. Much the same way that a bird preferring a brightly colored mate isn't logicking out "bright colors indicate better health which indicates our offspring will have more success", but that is nevertheless the underlying logic behind their unreasoned decision. The birds that choose the colorful mates reproduce more consistently, and thus preferring colorful mates is "learned" by the species over generations. The "politics bad" player has probably came up against other people doing similar political maneuvers, lost to them in a way they found confusing and frustrating, and thus learned over games that other people doing overt politics is likely to lead to bad outcomes for them, and become antagonistic to it. If they had a greater understanding they could decipher what it was about the political maneuvers that caused them to lose, and use that knowledge to come out ahead in future - in the same way that the bird, if it fully understood why a brightly colored mate was preferrable, could make a rational choice for an optimal mate. But complete understanding is difficult, for people and for birds, so the more Pavlovian "this thing resulted in a negative outcome, therefore it's bad" rationalization will suffice to get a partial benefit at a much lower cognitive cost.

That's how a lot of stuff goes in a game this complex, btw. I myself am very much the bird in plenty of other situations. I have no doubt that many, many play patterns I personally engage in have been learned by something happening in a game, it turning out badly, and then me unconsciously developing a bias against it (or vice versa) without me consciously understanding why it was bad (or good). The longer I play, the more I play primarily from vibes tbh.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb

Post by kirkusjones » 5 months ago

I think the time has come for a sticky'd thread called "Dirk's Contentious Conversation Corner." It'll be a one stop shop. Got a bone to pick over one of Dirk's points? Take it to the corner. Got a hot take you want to argue about? Go to the corner. Want to make some popcorn and read pedantic drama? Well good sir, do I have a corner for you,

yeti1069

Post by yeti1069 » 5 months ago

tstorm823 wrote:
5 months ago
DirkGently wrote:
5 months ago
I've talked to plenty of people who will outright say "I don't do politics", and have targeted me explicitly because I'm "pulling that political crap".
If there's a fault in this, it's only that they have the wrong words to describe it. Everyone does politics, it's inherent in multiplayer settings, even without saying a word. What they ought to say is that they don't appreciate collusion or coercion.

I've definitely experienced this, and felt fairly affronted by the response.

I'm constantly debating whether to drop Druid of Purification from all my decks due to the backlash hate it generates. I've had games where one player is WAY ahead of everyone else, with a board full of powerful artifacts and/or enchantments, and no one touches them...then come after me for urging them to blow some stuff up.

I vaguely recall one game where someone was a big problem, and I suggested another player should use their removal not on a minor inconvenience piece, but on the biggest threat at the table, and offered to address the inconvenience piece myself when I next had the opportunity, and instead, that player just directed all their ire my way, because "[they] don't make deals!"

@Dunadain This, by the way, is part of the reason that I don't equate revealing a counterspell in hand with GEA being on the board--one is an intentional action designed to influence the other players, while the other is a card played with clear purpose and consequence. The end result may be similar, and the game play may be largely the same, from objective standpoints, but I've found it to be rare that 3 opponents are making objectively rational gameplay decisions. Or at least I haven't comprehended/accepted their logic on some actions. As tstorm mentions, sometimes trying to coerce the table with some revealed information results in an outsize reaction--maybe they want to force your hand, maybe they perceive the attempt at getting more value out of that revealed information as a sign of vulnerability they want to hammer on, or they view that action as being representative of a bigger threat/better (and therefore more threatening) player. GEA has some of that effect, because of what the card does, but if no politicking accompanies it, I've found many players just assess it as any other normal game action: it's a card to be dealt with or played around, and there may be some attempts at forcing its uses, or playing around it, but it only garners the same level of aggression if I'm otherwise well ahead, and even then it doesn't always cause the same sort of vitriol.
Last edited by yeti1069 5 months ago, edited 1 time in total.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”