Unreleased and New Card Discussion

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 7 months ago

Serenade wrote:
7 months ago
There's this green Spelunking card on Scryfall. I wonder the value of another card helping CIPT lands enter untapped.
This might finally be the piece I need to make Archelos, Lagoon Mystic Lands combo work without being too commander reliant.

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt
Pronoun: they / them

Post by folding_music » 7 months ago

I'm not sure I'm an Ixalan enjoyer but I am an Explore enjoyer and am happy to see them print it as much as they can. the Maps rule too - they surpass being table clutter by offering a kind of weak but possibly relevant combat trick, almost as if they brought back Aleatory as a permanent

my opinion on the conquistador inspired stuff is always groooan

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1
Pronoun: he / him

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 7 months ago

Don't Move is pretty sweet imho. The opportunity to crap on a hasty crackback is rare, but this card puts the kibosh on it in a solid way.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

PrimevalCommander

Post by PrimevalCommander » 7 months ago

Don't Move is a funny card. But unless I'm playing heavy vigilance theme I cannot attack with my own creatures before casting this. I think the wording is interesting, but I'm not sure how the best way to use it is. Which is exactly where I like this type of card to be. Playable enough to not be completely useless if someone wanted to run them for the theme or art, but not widely useful enough to make me want to play it everywhere.

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

Post by Lifeless » 7 months ago

Seems like a win all around. You can play it for face value and not be unhappy, or you can work around it with Vigilance, Indestructible, Regen, etc and get bonus value. A well designed card that's also a flavor win.

I'm digging The Grim Captain. Just kind of a weird card that seems vaguely powerful if you can pull it off.

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by kirkusjones » 7 months ago

Am I the only one annoyed by the wording on Sovereign Okinec Ahau? "That" instead of using the card's name or "its" seems confusing…

Edit - I am dumb. Seems cool with anthem effects.

Dunadain
I like turtles
Answers: 2

Post by Dunadain » 7 months ago

Admiral Brass, Unsinkable

Nice to see WOTC hard coding more mechanics into the game, rather than spelling out "if this creature would die, exile it instead" on every one-use only reanimate effect.

I suppose you could argue they make the game less approachable, but as an entrenched player, I prefer succinct and standardized option.

Though everytime they do this I'm left wondering how they decided making a keyword for X mechanic was somehow more important than "enters the battlefield" XD
All cards are bad if you try hard enough.

Important decks: Ebondeath, Dracolich, Zask, Phelddagriff
Other: Karrthus, Eris, Emiel, The Blessed, Ruhan, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Help me complete my JumpStart Cube!

duducrash
Still Learning

Post by duducrash » 7 months ago

kirkusjones wrote:
7 months ago
Am I the only one annoyed by the wording on Sovereign Okinec Ahau? "That" instead of using the card's name or "its" seems confusing…
I think it is because its based on that creatures power not Okinec Ahaus, if it was Okinecs, we could pump him up and every creature would get a bunch of counters

Mookie
Answers: 48

Post by Mookie » 7 months ago

More stuff!
  • Sovereign Okinec Ahau is a bit weird - does nothing by itself, but if your creatures are buffed in any way, it will double the buff effect every attack... or just use Giant Growth / other one-shot effects and make them permanent? Either way, not my sort of thing, but seems like a reasonable beatdown creature.
  • Preacher of the Schism is a weird dethrone-ish card. I guess you get both triggers if you're tied for the most life, which gives an interesting little sub-game.
  • Threefold Thunderhulk looks like Grave Titan mixed with Myr Battlesphere. I'll note that you can sacrifice the tokens it generates, which can lead to some shenanigans.
  • Sanguine Evangelist look like a Standard card, but it's also three mana for five bodies in Teysa.
  • Aclazotz, Deepest Betrayal looks underwhelming to me. I do think it's good - 4/4 flying lifelink, plus it generates card advantage and can come back when killed. It's generally better than Nath of the Gilt-Leaf or The Haunt of Hightower... but for some reason, I'm not quite sold on it. Hmmm....
  • Unstable Glyph Bridge is somewhat interesting as an asymmetric board wipe that can also generate some additional value.
  • Spelunking is a three mana Explore with some significant upside if you're running tapped lands... or Boundless Realms / other ramp effects.

duducrash
Still Learning

Mookie wrote:
7 months ago
Sanguine Evangelist look like a Standard card, but it's also three mana for five bodies in Teysa.
If I were to purposely power down Karador, Ghost Chieftain I think I would play stuff like this. It helps to accrue more damage trough combat, its constantly generating bodies. The format is just too strong nowadays.
Mookie wrote:
7 months ago
but for some reason, I'm not quite sold on it. Hmmm....
I think these gods are mostly good because of how sticky they are.... they stick arround as lands and come back, thats why I'm not sold on this one particularly. having 1 card in hand is rare nowadays, I feel like everyone constantly has a full grip, everycard is too good these days, if I could flip easily I would consider some more.

Quintorius Kand - He is insteresting. I'm quinte curious to see how the discover mechanic will play out, power wise

Deeproot Pilgrimage - This is pretty good for fish. Specially if you have Cryptolith Rite arround. might even make Intruder Alarm a inclusion in fish decks

Hawk
Slayer of Threads

Post by Hawk » 7 months ago

I can't quite decide on if Matzalantli, the Great Door is incredible and is immediately going into several of my decks (Daretti, Gitrog, Quintorius) or if it's totally garbage. Colorless looting isn't a bad deal at this mana value, and in those three aforementioned decks this should be mana positive when flipped so its sorta like a looter than turns into Gilded Lotus/Timeless Lotus later. Gitrog in particular this should be functionally unbound mana. But the bar to get into Gitrog as a non-creature, non-land is high, and a 3-mana "do nothing" that takes 4 more mana to then come in as a tapped rock that gets blown out by grave hate...hm. Definitely the card I'm most excited to test.

Mookie
Answers: 48

Post by Mookie » 7 months ago

Hawk wrote:
7 months ago
I can't quite decide on if Matzalantli, the Great Door is incredible and is immediately going into several of my decks (Daretti, Gitrog, Quintorius) or if it's totally garbage.
I'll note that the front side only counts permanent types, so it's stricter than delirium. Not impossible, but I wouldn't play it unless I were already in the market for a colorless looter. Seems reasonable if you're already running Key to the City / Smuggler's Copter / Deal Broker / Bag of Holding and think you may be able to flip it. It does seem easier to achieve than Azor's Gateway // Sanctum of the Sun, at least, and the payoff is certainly powerful.

Alternatively: transform shenanigans with Saheeli, Sublime Artificer to turn it into something easier to flip?

NZB2323

Post by NZB2323 » 7 months ago

Aclazotz, Deepest Betrayal seems really good for a discard deck, but it makes it harder to decide which 5 drops to cut between Tergrid, God of Fright // Tergrid's Lantern, Archfiend of Ifnir, Bone Miser, Syr Konrad, the Grim, Sheoldred // The True Scriptures, Painful Quandary, and The Eldest Reborn.

8 five drops seems like way too many. If you guys could only run 2-3, which ones would you chose? The issue is my Neheb, the Worthy deck also runs Kragma Warcaller and Sethron, Hurloon General.

With Lorwyn coming up I hope we get more cleric tribal support. Battletide Alchemist is probably the best cleric tribal card.
Current Decks
rg Morophon, the infinite Kavu Eowyn, human tribal Legolas, voltron control Wb Tymna/Ravos cleric tribal Neheb, Chicago Bulls tribal Ug Edric pauper

Retired Decks
Edgar Markov Kaalia, angel board wipes Ghen, prison Captain Sisay Ub Nymris, draw go Sarulf, voltron control Niv-Mizzet, combo Winota Sidisi, Zombie Tribal

Sporegorger_Dragon

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 7 months ago

Wandering Throne is just...wow. I'm surprised at the rate.
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

illakunsaa

Post by illakunsaa » 7 months ago

Sporegorger_Dragon wrote:
7 months ago
Wandering Throne is just...wow. I'm surprised at the rate.
Isn't this insanely busted? You don't even need to play a tribal deck to get insane value. Just choose your commander and double all the triggers it gets.

And it's an (un)common?

materpillar
the caterpillar

Post by materpillar » 7 months ago

I'm sure happy to know wandering throne is going to be in a bajillion edh decks a month from now.

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 7 months ago

You: Probably doing something busted with The Enigma Jewel.

Me: Replacing Thran Turbine in Charix, the Raging Isle.

We are not the same.
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

duducrash
Still Learning

illakunsaa wrote:
7 months ago
And it's an (un)common?
It's a rare. This set symbol is hard to differentiate in some images

Hawk
Slayer of Threads

Mookie wrote:
7 months ago
Hawk wrote:
7 months ago
I can't quite decide on if Matzalantli, the Great Door is incredible and is immediately going into several of my decks (Daretti, Gitrog, Quintorius) or if it's totally garbage.
I'll note that the front side only counts permanent types, so it's stricter than delirium. Not impossible, but I wouldn't play it unless I were already in the market for a colorless looter. Seems reasonable if you're already running Key to the City / Smuggler's Copter / Deal Broker / Bag of Holding and think you may be able to flip it. It does seem easier to achieve than Azor's Gateway // Sanctum of the Sun, at least, and the payoff is certainly powerful.

Alternatively: transform shenanigans with Saheeli, Sublime Artificer to turn it into something easier to flip?
Ha I sorta blew past "4 permanent types" to transform. That's actually a pretty steep cost for most decks - Gitrog, for instance, is currently running 1 enchantment, 3 artifacts, 0 planeswalkers, and 0 battles so while it's trivial to get creatures and lands in the yards this is going to transform almost never. It's a bit easier for Daretti and Quint but still not trivial - Daretti has plenty of lands and artifacts but only 13 creatures and 10 'walkers (and 1 enchantment and 0 battles), while Quint has a really good mix of creatures, artifacts, and lands but only 6 enchantments, 2 'walkers (it'll be three once I get my hands on Quintorius Kand), and 6 enchantments. That puts me closer to thinking this is "Garbage" in most decks.

PrimevalCommander

Post by PrimevalCommander » 7 months ago

The 4 mana Wound Reflection demon for your turn only is strong. Makes Gray Merchant of Asphodel loops twice as easy to drain the table, and adds 3 devotion to boot.

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 7 months ago

duducrash wrote:
7 months ago
illakunsaa wrote:
7 months ago
And it's an (un)common?
It's a rare. This set symbol is hard to differentiate in some images
Honestly I've just been looking in the bottom left instead of scrutinizing the symbol. R for rare.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Wayta - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Eris - Magda - Ghired2 - Xander - Me - Slogurk - Gilraen - Shelob2 - Kellan1 - Leori - Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 7 months ago

I like Generous Gift, Stroke of Midnight, and Excise the Imperfect more than Get Lost since they hit artifacts. I never used Fateful Absence.
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

NZB2323

Post by NZB2323 » 7 months ago

Serenade wrote:
7 months ago
I like Generous Gift, Stroke of Midnight, and Excise the Imperfect more than Get Lost since they hit artifacts. I never used Fateful Absence.
I'm the opposite. I feel like there's so much good removal that cost 1 or 2 mana that I've been cutting removal that cost 3 mana. The exception would be stuff like Loran of the Third Path.

But if you want artifact hate dating destructionist is a good option, especially in a human tribal deck like Éowyn, Shieldmaiden. And wandering throne gets her to trigger twice, and does double triggers for Champion of the Parish, Thalia's Lieutenant, Esper Sentinel, Knight of the White Orchid, Worthy Knight, Hero of Precinct One, Imperial Recruiter, Recruiter of the Guard, Spellseeker, Loran of the Third Path, Éowyn, Fearless Knight, Hanweir Garrison, Charming Scoundrel, Adeline, Resplendent Cathar, Boromir, Gondor's Hope, Lossarnach Captain, Captain Lannery Storm, and Professional Face-Breaker.

In cleric tribal it provides double triggers for Ravos, Soultender, Soul Warden, Soul's Attendant, Suture Priest, Elas il-Kor, Sadistic Pilgrim, Auriok Champion, voice of the blessed, Skemfar Shadowsage, Rotlung Reanimator, Battletide Alchemist, Dawnbringer Cleric, Leonin Relic-Warder, and Nullpriest of Oblivion.
Current Decks
rg Morophon, the infinite Kavu Eowyn, human tribal Legolas, voltron control Wb Tymna/Ravos cleric tribal Neheb, Chicago Bulls tribal Ug Edric pauper

Retired Decks
Edgar Markov Kaalia, angel board wipes Ghen, prison Captain Sisay Ub Nymris, draw go Sarulf, voltron control Niv-Mizzet, combo Winota Sidisi, Zombie Tribal

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 7 months ago

I kind of want to put The Thousand Year Calendar into my mono-g Omnath, Locus of Mana forest deck
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

Hawk
Slayer of Threads

Serenade wrote:
7 months ago
I also haven't felt compelled to nab a Fateful Absence and generally like that spell less than the first two you listed. I think this is much better than Absence though (and Excise, for that matter):

- This hits one more card type in enchantments.
- Map tokens, even plural, seem generally less useful than a clue. I know mathematically they're the same, but Maps can be fizzled by removal, are only a card sometimes, and can only be cracked at sorcery speed.

For the average mono-white deck, this may still not make the cut just since Gift, Stroke, Swords, Path, and <insert favorite disenchant effect here> are "enough" single-target removal for them, but for more controlling decks I think this is the next-best removal spell to include and I'm excited to grab a few.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”