Seen most of the 2005- show
13%
Seen most of the 1963-1989 show
No votes
Seen most of both shows
2%
Seen all of the 2005- show
5%
Seen all of the 1963-1989 show (minus lost episodes)
No votes
Seen all of both shows (minus lost episodes)
No votes

Total votes: 55

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1
Pronoun: he / him

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 7 months ago

DirkGently wrote:
7 months ago
@TheAmericanSpirit we're not criticising your personal buying decisions. Just breathing a weary sigh for a wasted world.
Opine then in a way that does appear to target me. Plenty of other people in the thread having seen the show, but Goose singled me out. Seems pretty personal to me.

@TheGildedGoose nice apology, why don't you save it for Christmas? Just shove stright back up your ass.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 7 months ago

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
7 months ago
Seems pretty personal to me.
It was because you made a reference to watching the show because of the cards, hence the advertisement working. That's the joke.
@TheGildedGoose nice apology, why don't you save it for Christmas? Just shove stright back up your ass.
I don't have any ill will toward you, but okay, man.

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 7 months ago

TheGildedGoose wrote:
7 months ago
TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
7 months ago
Seems pretty personal to me.
It was because you made a reference to watching the show because of the cards, hence the advertisement working. That's the joke.
For the 3rd %$#% time, I get the joke, it's the sneer downwards I resent.
I don't have any ill will toward you, but okay, man.
I'm certain you probably feel nothing at all towards me one way or the other. We're all just pawns here to be fuel for your mediocre attempts to be funny. That is the point of the website, right? No?
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 7 months ago

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
7 months ago
For the 3rd %$#% time, I get the joke, it's the sneer downwards I resent.
I think you're taking this too personally. Goose could just as easily have picked me as an example. I'm doing basically the same thing - me and Lily are going to watch S1E1 Doctor Who tonight - and that almost certainly would not be happening if it wasn't for the advertising of Doctor Who being put in front of the MtG audience's eyeballs by this product. Neither of us are at fault for deciding to spend time/money watching Doctor Who - had I made that decision independently I would have been completely happy with it - I just think it's a bit upsetting to acknowledge that my decisions are being so nakedly manipulated by a company that I already gave mountains of money to.

I thought "I give you all my money, you give me a hobby" was already a Contract from Below, but it turns out they can always exploit me just a liiiiittle bit more. :unamused:
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

Post by Lifeless » 7 months ago

Throw me into the category where I'm aware of the IP but never watched. I've actually intended to give it a shot more than once but I have a tendency to gravitate towards shows with more manageable runs.

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 7 months ago

None. This release has been a free space and cue to tune out this spoiler season. No interest in doctor whoever. That's not going to change.

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt
Pronoun: they / them

Post by folding_music » 7 months ago

i basically love the dr who theme tune (old version) and when the episode starts I go "ohhhh, it's this." and sorta sidle away from the tv still humming the theme
i mean most of the actors who have been dr who are great, especially peter capaldi, but this isn't entirely my sort of thing and if it was I'd rather watch neverwhere over and over. i never liked buffy the vampire slayer either

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 7 months ago

I thought the joke was funny without any deeper meaning....

I got into it when it aired on the old Sci-fi channel, watch it when it hopped to BBC America, and Then lost a bit of interest during Jodi's run, if the back seasons show up on Disney plus I'll catch up that way. This will be the first UB product I'll be buying as a whole deck. When LOTR came out, I didn't buy any because frankly, I'm not into it that much, same with the WH40k. I don't mind the "cross-contamination" (yes I've seen this term used regarding UB )of IPs, as I don't feel obligated/compelled to buy all the cards nor do I mind playing against them.
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

Haman

Post by Haman » 7 months ago

I think it is a good set. Probably a milestone set for edh.
The first milestone set is 2016 set with partner, then cl1 partner and cl2 with background. It is set like these, where they are only 50 cards , but the mechanics are very open and led to big combonations.
As for power lvl, this set is equally powerful for the 4 decks at precon lvl, which is good for player and shop
You look at WOE , or commander master edh precon they only benifit a small amoumt of deck. To people who don't own sliver , eldrazi planeswalker or aura , rats deck... the recent 2 mtg set is extremely boring

NZB2323
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by NZB2323 » 7 months ago

I've seen the reel of Van Gogh and thought that was good. I've never watched an episode but heard it's a good show. For UB I think they should be fantasy. D&D, Princess Bride, and LOTR makes sense. I would love a Warcraft UB. Transformers, Walking Dead, and Doctor Who I can do without.
Current Decks
rg Morophon, the infinite Kavu Eowyn, human tribal Legolas, voltron control Wb Tymna/Ravos cleric tribal Neheb, Chicago Bulls tribal Ug Edric pauper

Retired Decks
Edgar Markov Kaalia, angel board wipes Ghen, prison Captain Sisay Ub Nymris, draw go Sarulf, voltron control Niv-Mizzet, combo Winota Sidisi, Zombie Tribal

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 7 months ago

In my mind, UB is the square peg and Magic is the round hole. UB just makes me tune out. I'm not angry about it, but I don't want these cards in my decks. It's weird because I'm not a lore guy, but these cards just don't fit for me. You guys go crazy, though.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 7 months ago

I have probably watched a dozen or so episodes of the 2005- show. It is a show I am sure I would really enjoy if I ever sat down to watch it. I will probably get to it one day.
Some of the cards are super cool. Some have references I don't get. I feel like cards are overly wordy to match a very specific story point and that his makes them less interesting to me.
I hope they make other people happy. I don't expect to even learn the new cards, it is outside of the scope of my mental bandwidth.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 7 months ago

I've seen a fair bit of the new stuff. Not enough to follow wider plot points, of the two of us my wife is MUCH more into it than I am, but I do love some of the story arcs, the Blink episode etc. I loved David Tennant, and I'm kind of looking forward to what the incoming doctor can do. I loved him in Sex Education, he's an interesting choice for the newest time lord.

As far as the cards go I'm purely picking up cards for existing decks though. Part of that is that time mechanics like suspend et al really do nothing for me as a player, I'm just not into it.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

onering

Post by onering » 7 months ago

I really don't like Universes Beyond in general. These should all just be sold as reskins of existing cards, or better yet introduced as gold bordered cards for casual play that can be used if everyone agrees, like Unsets. It makes the game more generic and cheap feeling. The only exception for me has been D&D becomes magic originally was inspired by early 90s D&D and conceived as D&D that can be played quickly. The aesthetics match up very well and the setting feels like it could be just another plane in the multiverse. To the point where they could actually make it that if they wanted to.

The cards at least don't seem stupidly broken and there are some interesting ideas, but I'm still not buying anything from it except possibly a few singles that aren't replaceable. I spent maybe $3 total on LotR and the same will be true of this. At least the characters look like they're supposed to with this.

BlackbirdPlaysMTG
Lost but seeking

Post by BlackbirdPlaysMTG » 7 months ago

I have never watched a Doctor Who episode, but I have a friend who is really, really into it. He is kinda pushing me to give the show a try and I am getting kinda curious at this point :rofl: . Might give it a try in the near future.

The whole Universes Beyond thing I am generally not too keen on. I prefer Magic to be... Magic, but here we are, with products already in existence. It's not like I am avoiding the cards I like gameplay-wise. Ordered a Champions of Minas Tirith this week. I am a huge Lord of the Rings fan and I have to admit they pulled off the Lord of the Rings: Tales of Middle-Earth set quite well.

EonAon

Post by EonAon » 7 months ago

BlackbirdPlaysMTG wrote:
7 months ago
I have never watched a Doctor Who episode, but I have a friend who is really, really into it. He is kinda pushing me to give the show a try and I am getting kinda curious at this point :rofl: . Might give it a try in the near future.

The whole Universes Beyond thing I am generally not too keen on. I prefer Magic to be... Magic, but here we are, with products already in existence. It's not like I am avoiding the cards I like gameplay-wise. Ordered a Champions of Minas Tirith this week. I am a huge Lord of the Rings fan and I have to admit they pulled off the Lord of the Rings: Tales of Middle-Earth set quite well.
I really recommend the 2005 onward show. The old stuff is good and does set the foundation for alot of things but the revival series is just as good.

Dunadain
I like turtles
Answers: 2

Post by Dunadain » 7 months ago

I'll be the uncultured swine and take it a step further: the 2005 and onward show is better.

Yes, there's a certain charm to old Doctor Who, but there's also a lot of problems, and not stuff that's easily overlooked, in particular the pacing is awful.

Start with 2005+ and if you enjoy it, try out some of the popular old doctor who episodes and work your way from there
All cards are bad if you try hard enough.

Important decks: Ebondeath, Dracolich, Emiel, The Blessed, Phelddagriff
Other: Ruhan, Zask, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Help me complete my JumpStart Cube!

BlackbirdPlaysMTG
Lost but seeking

Post by BlackbirdPlaysMTG » 7 months ago

Yeah, that was what my friend told me as well. Start with the new stuff. I'll give it a try :) !

Moxnix

Post by Moxnix » 7 months ago

I love dr who and the secret layer cards and LOTR I'm glad they took things this way. Hyped for David Tennent return in November deffo going to get these sets just because I liked dr who. Watched most the new show sans the lady who I didn't like so much. Matt smith is my fav david is close tho.

Moonlighter
Lunatic

Post by Moonlighter » 7 months ago

I watched from Eccleston up through the start of Jodi's run. I liked her as the Doctor, but as @DirkGently said, a lot of the plot had started to have the kind of 'the stakes don't matter' feel - so I stopped watching after the second or third episode of her run. I really liked The Twelfth Doctor because he's secretly kinda evil sometimes? It's not always clear, but he's got some moments where he's a bit more sinister than some of the other doctors. I mean The Tenth Doctor will kill you and your babies, so he'll always have the crown for that, but I appreciated Capaldi's style a lot. Some episodes stand out in my mind as enjoyable in their own right, like Don't Blink.

Might give the new one a shot... but it's a question of writing at this point.
Playing EDH: Alesha Who Smiles at Death; Baba Lysaga, Night Witch; Emiel the Blessed; Breena, the Demagogue; Xenagos, God of Revels; Seton, Krosan Protector; Phelddagrif.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 7 months ago

I have seen a few seasons I think most or all of the content with Rose Tyler which I would assume is the 2005ish era stuff. Honestly, I kind of thought it was not that good but I can see why if you had seen it growing up you might be fond of it. Its not bad by any means I just didn't think it was some level of excellence that I often hear people put it up as.

If I am being honest I am completely against any crossover content but I am also against half of the content releases they do a year as well. They need to go back to basics and stop swarming the market with product.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 7 months ago

Dunadain wrote:
7 months ago
I'm curious what @DirkGently means by "the kind of writing that pisses me off"
Lily and I have been watching it recently (we got through a few stories from the original show, which I kinda like in its MST3K-style jankiness, but she was less enthralled, so now we're watching NuWho, which she seems to be a big fan of - can't say I'm surprised lol). I'm not ecstatic about it but it's not as bad as I remember. I still don't like the tension between the campiness and the particularly high-stakes episodes (wasn't a fan of the season 1 finale) but it's a decent show to watch while brewing decks (in particular Me, the Immortal, still in progress). Every couple episodes I get to go "oh, that's a card".

In particular I retract my opinion about Everybody Lives! - for some reason I thought it was part of a 10th doctor season finale with multiverse-ending stakes, which was just incorrect. Within the episode it was part of - a mid-season episode with relatively low stakes by Who standards - it was pretty cute.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Dunadain
I like turtles
Answers: 2

Post by Dunadain » 7 months ago

DirkGently wrote:
7 months ago
In particular I retract my opinion about Everybody Lives! - for some reason I thought it was part of a 10th doctor season finale with multiverse-ending stakes, which was just incorrect. Within the episode it was part of - a mid-season episode with relatively low stakes by Who standards - it was pretty cute.
That makes much more sense XD. I understood your opinion overall, but your particular hatred for that episode seemed out of place, lol.
All cards are bad if you try hard enough.

Important decks: Ebondeath, Dracolich, Emiel, The Blessed, Phelddagriff
Other: Ruhan, Zask, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Help me complete my JumpStart Cube!

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 7 months ago

You know, MaRo always says that people's opinion of UB changes when a property they really love comes along. I wonder if that'll be true for me.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 7 months ago

RxPhantom wrote:
7 months ago
You know, MaRo always says that people's opinion of UB changes when a property they really love comes along. I wonder if that'll be true for me.
Hmm.

Nightman, Sneaky and Mean
Legendary Creature - Human Rogue
Skulk
Spider Inside My Dreams - When Nightman enters the battlefield or attacks, each opponent reveals their hand. You may exile a card revealed this way with a Toll counter on it.
Strong Hands - When Nightman deals combat damage to a player, you may put a card exiled with a Toll counter on it into its owner's graveyard. If you do, you and that player each lose life equal to that card's mana value, and you draw a card.
1/3

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”