Seen most of the 2005- show
13%
Seen most of the 1963-1989 show
No votes
Seen most of both shows
2%
Seen all of the 2005- show
5%
Seen all of the 1963-1989 show (minus lost episodes)
No votes
Seen all of both shows (minus lost episodes)
No votes

Total votes: 55

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional
Pronoun: he / him

Post by DirkGently » 7 months ago

Curious to get an idea of the forums adjacency to the franchise, as well as whether people are pleased/unhappy with the incursion of the franchise into MtG.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Ink-Treader
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Ink-Treader » 7 months ago

I've seen a quite a bit of the 2005 and on run. I think Doctor Who is a weird choice, but I will say that some of the cards are interesting, and the stuff I do recognize from the show seems well executed in terms of flavor and mechanics.

Hawk
Slayer of Threads

Post by Hawk » 7 months ago

I've seen most of the revival series - all of 9, all but the last few episodes for 10, all for 11, all for 12, and 13's first season + the premier of her second. I think I've seen like one original episode, and I've interacted not at all with the vast WhoNiverse of radio dramas and audio stories.

I was really annoyed last year when they announced it, but at this point especially given how much I loved LotR and the D&D Sets, and given how enthused some of the casuals in my playgroup have been to have Optimus Prime, Hero // Optimus Prime, Autobot Leader and Negan, the Cold-Blooded as their commanders - I've just given up being upset about other media invading our game. Ship's sailed, people are having fun, and I feel like a hypocrite to complain about "franchise I don't like" when Samwise Gamgee is my new favorite deck.

I wish I loved the cards more. All the flavor is exceptional, but the designs are all feeling a little weak.

Ruiner

Post by Ruiner » 7 months ago

Back when I was in college (2000-2005) I used to randomly catch episodes of the older incarnation on the local public television channel around midnight or 1 AM. Was fun for a low budget cheesy science fiction show. I couldn't tell you which particular "doctors" were in those episodes.

I haven't watched any of the modern stuff, I keep meaning to give it a shot but haven't gotten around to it.

I don't really mind the Universes Beyond stuff, and this set seems to have some neat cards.

Some of the character names are pretty funny from a commander perspective, just because of how bland and "real world" they are. In the future you might see a game where the commander's are fantastical characters like Marchesa, the Black Rose, Khârn the Betrayer, Gandalf of the Secret Fire, and then some dude just named something like. . . Bill Wilson (I can't recall any of the actual names). It's odd they didn't give a lot of them "titles" like "Bill Wilson, The Enigma" or whatever.

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 7 months ago

I echo Hawk. I nab the cards I like from these UB sets that further my other decks, try out a new general or two, maybe learn a little more about a fandom that is unfamiliar to me, and move on.

(I also love my Flamewar, Brash Veteran // Flamewar, Streetwise Operative deck.)
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

Mookie
Answers: 48

Post by Mookie » 7 months ago

I've seen a few episodes of the revival, since some friends are into it. I don't think I've seen a full season though.

As for the set itself... at this point, I'm pretty neutral re: UB stuff. If people are fans of the source material (whether that be Doctor Who or whatever) and they want to play with their favorite characters, great. If they don't like the flavor, you can just ignore them. I don't have any particular attachment to Doctor Who, but I'm not particularly averse to it either.

One thing I'll call out is that I appreciate when the legendary creatures are more niche, and that cards for the 99 are more flavor-neutral. Personally, I wouldn't want to put a random legendary creature in the 99 if I don't know who they are... but I'm probably going to pick up some more generic cards like Banish to Another Universe and Displaced Dinosaurs, which I could conceivably see in an actual MTG set (well, I guess Banish would technically be 'Banish to Another Plane', but still).

duducrash
Still Learning

Post by duducrash » 7 months ago

I started warching the new show from Cristopher Eccleston (who is a pretty ok actor but did the worst John Lennon ever put to film) Ive watched it until the guy with no eyebrows who is also in the new GoT. I dated someone who was *obsessed* with it so I consumed much via second hand too, even saw that one special in the movies. It was ok, some episodes were pretty good, some were like amusing ideas.

This week I saw some friends of the person I dated freaking out about the mtg cards on insta stories, and I dont think they play

Treamayne

Post by Treamayne » 7 months ago

DirkGently wrote:
7 months ago
Curious to get an idea of the forums adjacency to the franchise, as well as whether people are pleased/unhappy with the incursion of the franchise into MtG.
  1. Familiar by references from friends
  2. Never seen any episodes
  3. I really wish all of UB were a new border color (non-black, non-silver) for easy game separation (or that none of it existed at all)
V/R

Treamayne

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 7 months ago

I've seen a decent amount of the new stuff. This release has definitely jogged my interest in watching it more completely
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 7 months ago

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
7 months ago
I've seen a decent amount of the new stuff. This release has definitely jogged my interest in watching it more completely

DirkGently

If anyone's curious about me:

I watched the 9th and half of the 10th doctor, because my then-gf was into it. I liked it at first, then got increasingly annoyed with it - the card Everybody Lives! reminds me heavily of the sort of writing that pissed me off tbh.

Also it does that budget sci-fi/fantasy thing where there are cosmic horrors from another dimension…but for the purposes of our story, they're going to look like ordinary people. In a mask, if budget allows. I suspect this was more tolerable in the old show, but so much of what I watched felt like it wanted to be taken far more seriously than the production design justified.

I still dislike UB, though there's hardly a point to arguing about it. Nothing is going to change.

As far as the cards, most of the designs are pretty bad tbh. Feels veeery top-down. There are a few good ones in there, though. I've been breaking my brain trying to find a good idea for The Master, Formed Anew. Best I've got so far is undying + persist combo or Hoverguard Sweepers.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Treamayne

Post by Treamayne » 7 months ago

TheGildedGoose wrote:
7 months ago
TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
7 months ago
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Very nice They Live reference!
SPOILER
Show
Hide
. . . and I'm all out of bubblegum!
V/R

Treamayne

Dunadain
I like turtles
Answers: 2

Post by Dunadain » 7 months ago

I really like doctor who, the quality can be hit or miss, but the show has never been afraid to experiment which makes it better than most modern franchises *cough* Star Wars *cough*

I'm curious what @DirkGently means by "the kind of writing that pisses me off" but regardless, I certainly don't think the show is for everyone, it has overarching plots, but honestly, the show is at its best when it's "Adventure-of-the-week" hijinks.

however, I don't like the cards, they feel like doctor who cards, not mtg cards.
All cards are bad if you try hard enough.

Important decks: Ebondeath, Dracolich, Emiel, The Blessed, Phelddagriff
Other: Ruhan, Zask, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Help me complete my JumpStart Cube!

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

TheGildedGoose wrote:
7 months ago
TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
7 months ago
Oh dude, get all the way off my back. As an American, I can do with my free time as I wish. If I wanna blow up a portapotty in my yard with tannerite, I will. If I decide I wanna get a BritBox subscription and become a Whovian, your memes are likewise powerless to stop me.

Fill thine own free time before you cast aspersions upon how others fill theirs.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 7 months ago

I watched the revival until the end of Matt Smith's run. I just had no desire to continue. It felt like it was out of gas. It had a lot of cool ideas, but generated a lot of "oh, this again" feels.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

5colorsrainbow

Post by 5colorsrainbow » 7 months ago

I watched when Matt Smith was the Dr and I enjoyed it but I was never deep into, particularly cause the fandom was something during that time (Superwholock was in full swing). I'd say I have postive feelings over all about Dr Who but I won't say its a favorite of mine or something I'd go out of my way to watch.

I don't care anymore about UB really, if the card design is fun/cool I'm down, several of the sets have had mechanics or deck types I wanted more of so hard to be upset when UB are giving card I want.
“There are no weak Jews. I am descended from those who wrestle angels and kill giants. We were chosen by God. You were chosen by a pathetic little man who can't seem to grow a full mustache"

Cyberium

Post by Cyberium » 7 months ago

Seen a few seasons of 2005 reboot. The flavor of respective cards are very on point.

DirkGently

Dunadain wrote:
7 months ago
I'm curious what @DirkGently means by "the kind of writing that pisses me off"
I have a serious pet peeve for fiction that sets up apocalyptic, "it would take a miracle for the world not to end" stakes…and then not only is the world saved, but also the only character that dies was the most convenient, just-introduced-this-season cannon fodder. It feels fake as all hell, rips me right out of whatever immersion I had, and is some hack garbage.

Doctor Who was already that show, with the stakes of each season getting increasingly ridiculous with very little risk to the main cast, and then their novel idea is, instead of just once having semi-realistic consequences, what about instead if we had NO CONSEQUENCES WHATSOEVER??? Gee what an awesome and engaging idea!!! I am so totally immersed!!! Profanity filters prevent me from accurately describing my true feelings.

(Note: this is based on 10+ year old memories so I may be slightly off)

@TheAmericanSpirit I think what @TheGildedGoose is saying (or, if he's not, then what I'm saying) is that these UB products are the equivalent of the Pepsi can prominently in-frame in the latest blockbuster. We're not just paying for the product, we also ARE the product because our eyes on the UB sewage means we're more likely to buy the other IP's crap. We're being milked from every possible angle.

Hell, I am too - I'm curious to see the WH40K show (legally…wink) and watch classic who (legally…wink). Not doing those things just to stick it to the man would be kinda stupid, the ship has sailed on UB. But at the same time…for real, bro, %$#% this late-stage capitalist hellscape. I hate that I've already given tens of thousands of dollars to WotC and they're still selling my eyeballs for nickels.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

@DirkGently I've seen They Live, I get his point. Nothing so far has sailed over anyone's head. What I'm saying is not everyone cares about financial implications of the stupid thing. Not everyone gives a flying %$#% to the moon if the internet screams "Sales Tactic!" every time an IP does a crossover. I. Do. Not. Care.

I want have fun in my free time. I don't wanna think about marketing, or finances, or corporate bureaucracy, I wanna have fun. Part of that is playing Magic, and if that can lead me to another thing I enjoy, I see no issue in that. No one complains about the new players that UB bring to magic. Why is the vice-versa attraction to the source material anathema to so many people here? Why does that attitude extend to rather boldly implying that I'm being "played" or "conned" by the normal functions of capitalism? Newsflash Ladies and Gents, we all play a children's card game. We spend lots of money on stupid cardboard rectangles. If anyone's been played, it's all of us and one more person taking an interest in Dr Who changes none of that.

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

TheGildedGoose wrote:
7 months ago
I was content to just make the joke but if we're getting into it...
Well, you did pick the fight. Now show up to the playground already.

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
7 months ago
I want have fun in my free time. I don't wanna think about marketing, or finances, or corporate bureaucracy, I wanna have fun.
Interestingly enough, this is my desire, too, and these billboards masquerading as Magic cards really take me out it. I hate living at the end of all things as much as everyone else, please leave my hobbies free from your NFTs.

But at the end of the day, I'm an addict, so I'm just going to shovel the %$#% into my mouth until I'm dead, I guess.

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

TheGildedGoose wrote:
7 months ago
TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
7 months ago
I want have fun in my free time. I don't wanna think about marketing, or finances, or corporate bureaucracy, I wanna have fun.
Interestingly enough, this is my desire, too, and these billboards masquerading as Magic cards really take me out it. I hate living at the end of all things as much as everyone else, please leave my hobbies free from your NFTs.

But at the end of the day, I'm an addict, so I'm just going to shovel the %$#% into my mouth until I'm dead, I guess.
That's great. Fine and %$#% dandy in fact. In truth, I don't give two chickens worth of %$#% what you wanna do with your free time. Ideally you would feel similarly about my time and act accordingly.

You got no high horse here to sit on, pal. You play the card game, you've read the spoilers, you already gave them their money's worth. And that's okay, everyone falls prey to marketing eventually. Everyone. So I wanna know, what exactly do you get out of pissing in my cornflakes? Why, my guy? I expressed an interest in doing something I thought was fun, and you %$#% on it because you think I'm doing it for the wrong reason. %$#% you, man. Get over yourself.
Warning issued for Flaming. - benjameenbear

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK

Well, that escalated.

I apologize. I made an offhanded joke about consumerism and you were the incidental butt of it. I could've communicated the joke more clearly, phrased it differently, or kept my mouth shut, but I didn't, so my bad, dude.

DirkGently

@TheAmericanSpirit we're not criticising your personal buying decisions. Just breathing a weary sigh for a wasted world.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”