[Off-Topic] Community Chat Thread

benjameenbear
Pronoun: he / him

Post by benjameenbear » 8 months ago

cheonice wrote:
8 months ago

I just did one for Ghyrson Starn, Kelermorph. I can't stand the Warhammer artworks (even if Ghyrson is kinda ok looking), so I crafted a Roland Deschain version (the gunslinging protagonist of King's Dark Tower, give it a read and don't watch the crappy movie! It's just 8 books). I used art from the comic adaption and I'm pretty happy with it.
The Dark Tower movie was SO disappointing. One of the worst remakes/continuations I've ever seen. I finished watching it simply out of respect for The King and Idris Elba.

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 8 months ago

benjameenbear wrote:
8 months ago
cheonice wrote:
8 months ago

I just did one for Ghyrson Starn, Kelermorph. I can't stand the Warhammer artworks (even if Ghyrson is kinda ok looking), so I crafted a Roland Deschain version (the gunslinging protagonist of King's Dark Tower, give it a read and don't watch the crappy movie! It's just 8 books). I used art from the comic adaption and I'm pretty happy with it.
The Dark Tower movie was SO disappointing. One of the worst remakes/continuations I've ever seen. I finished watching it simply out of respect for The King and Idris Elba.
Hard agree, that was a GARBAGE fire. Truly despised every second, Idris be damned. That said it did get me to search out the recent It remake which I really enjoyed. That one got me on a horror kick and I've been delving into some of the better films in the last decade in that area. A24 has some amazing releases.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 8 months ago

My LGS just informed me that they oversold, so that's super fun. Found a store in Oz that's selling them for really cheap though ($167 USD after shipping)...hope they haven't also made some stupid mistake.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Wayta - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Eris - Magda - Ghired2 - Xander - Me - Slogurk - Gilraen - Shelob2 - Kellan1 - Leori - Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

duducrash
Still Learning

Post by duducrash » 8 months ago

DirkGently wrote:
8 months ago
My LGS just informed me that they oversold, so that's super fun. Found a store in Oz that's selling them for really cheap though ($167 USD after shipping)...hope they haven't also made some stupid mistake.

LGS told us that they heard some/many stores are in a "picle" because they estimated this producy to underperform and its getting some interest they werent ready for

Edit : Idris Elba is a super talent actor, one of the best looking man on the planet but god does he get some bad scripts to act on. My brother in christ you dont have to say yes to everyone

benjameenbear

toctheyounger wrote:
8 months ago
benjameenbear wrote:
8 months ago
cheonice wrote:
8 months ago

Hard agree, that was a GARBAGE fire. Truly despised every second, Idris be damned. That said it did get me to search out the recent It remake which I really enjoyed. That one got me on a horror kick and I've been delving into some of the better films in the last decade in that area. A24 has some amazing releases.
Yeah, I actually liked the It remakes myself. The first one was WAY better, but they did a really nice job of tying it all up in Part 2. Probably one of the best Stephen King adaptations to date IMO. Not sure anything will beat Misery or The Shining though. Kathy Bates was absolutely stellar and Jack Nicholson basically carried the entire movie.

EDIT: Any good horror movies anyone can recommend, particularly you @toctheyounger? I stay away from evil spirit/demon movies because of life experiences, but I'm ALWAYS down for a good slasher or monster movie.

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 8 months ago

The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

BlackbirdPlaysMTG
Lost but seeking
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by BlackbirdPlaysMTG » 8 months ago

I received most of my Queen Marchesa deck in the past two days :grin: ! Only missing seven cards (not key pieces) and some cards will come in tomorrow and on Friday still. Looks like I will be able to play it during the weekly FNM. Not used to playing red and black cards, but I think I cooked up something I and the people I face will enjoy.
Hermes_ wrote:
8 months ago
Does anyone in here like cook books?

Magic: The Gathering: The Official Cookbook: Cuisines of the Multiverse
I do! That's pretty cool, and the Kindle version doesn't break the bank. Looking at the contents it seems to be pretty diverse in terms of dishes.

toctheyounger

benjameenbear wrote:
8 months ago
EDIT: Any good horror movies anyone can recommend, particularly you @toctheyounger? I stay away from evil spirit/demon movies because of life experiences, but I'm ALWAYS down for a good slasher or monster movie.
I agree, I thought both It films were quite good. The second was a bit of a drop off, but Bill Skarsgard did very well, and that ending sequence is so weird I think it'd be hard to ever get right. Overall it was well executed.

As far as recommendations, it's a shame you're not into possession, though I do get it. Probably the best film I've seen in this recent stint is Hereditary, and honestly it's amazing. The entire movie is just very well crafted and acted, there's this claustrophobic atmosphere throughout and lots of subtle foreshadowing and such throughout. If you can look past it for one movie I would really recommend this one, it was so, so good. Telling you it involves possession really spoils it a lot, but I can't have you watch it, enjoy it, then finish the movie pissed off that I deceived you. Anyway most possession/demon films are pale subpar replicas of The Exorcist (which 50 years later is still amazing), but this one goes about it in such a different way that it feels new and original and pretty damn terrifying. Absolutely no reliance on jump scares either, which I get really tired of in modern horror. It's a crutch.

If it's a hard pass on that topic, you could try Midsommar. Same director, different vibe. Honestly this movie completely transfixed me. I must have watched it like 5 times in a week. As much as it is a horror film, it's a movie about relationships, the value of human connection and the difficulties of overcoming trauma. It's complex and honestly kind of beautiful. I spent a good solid couple of days after seeing it the first time questioning how I felt about it overall. The main actress, Florence Pugh, is pretty amazing, and generally the film is very well conceived. It might not be everyone's cup of tea, but I adored it.

Other than these two I haven't really seen anything I'd rave about enough to recommend. That said, these two made me really want to delve into the A24 catalogue deeper. I caught the VVitch and Bodies Bodies Bodies which were both interesting, and I've heard great things about X and it's prequel Pearl, which both sound more like they're down the traditional slasher route.

materpillar
the caterpillar

Post by materpillar » 8 months ago

benjameenbear wrote:
8 months ago
I don't like gore fest horror much. I like thriller more. Taking that into account my favorite horror movies are Alien (the original), Ready or Not, Cabin in the Woods, and The Menu.

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

Post by Lifeless » 8 months ago

I don't watch many horror movies anymore, strange since I used to watch tons of mainstream and indy horror when I was younger. I'll mention Happy Death Day since it's one of my favorites, but I also re-watched Triangle recently and still really like it.

The list of horror movies I'm interested in continues to slowly grow, but I think this month I'll have to finally get around to either Barbarian or Us.

DirkGently

Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Eris - Magda - Ghired2 - Xander - Me - Slogurk - Gilraen - Shelob2 - Kellan1 - Leori - Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Dunadain
I like turtles
Answers: 2

Post by Dunadain » 8 months ago

I guess The Rani?
All cards are bad if you try hard enough.

Important decks: Ebondeath, Dracolich, Zask, Phelddagriff
Other: Karrthus, Eris, Emiel, The Blessed, Ruhan, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Help me complete my JumpStart Cube!

cheonice
Death to Chronos.

Post by cheonice » 8 months ago

benjameenbear wrote:
8 months ago
toctheyounger wrote:
8 months ago
benjameenbear wrote:
8 months ago

Yeah, I actually liked the It remakes myself. The first one was WAY better, but they did a really nice job of tying it all up in Part 2. Probably one of the best Stephen King adaptations to date IMO. Not sure anything will beat Misery or The Shining though. Kathy Bates was absolutely stellar and Jack Nicholson basically carried the entire movie.

I'm not that into horror, but some of my friends are. I really enjoyed the Jordan Peele movies. If you are into home invasion, Hush (2016) was pretty great as was The Invisible Man (2020).

Edit: Uh, and Train to Busan!
Last edited by cheonice 8 months ago, edited 1 time in total.

toctheyounger

cheonice wrote:
8 months ago
I really enjoyed the Jordan Peele movies
I agree. Get Out was quite good too, I'm interested in seeing more of his stuff. There's a particular Key and Peele sketch of theirs; as soon as I saw it I was like 'damn, this guy could direct horror'. It's the Urkel sketch, y'all should look into it. It's pretty chilling.

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

Post by Lifeless » 8 months ago

cheonice wrote:
8 months ago
This has been on my list forever. Maybe this will be the year.

cheonice
Death to Chronos.

Lifeless wrote:
8 months ago
cheonice wrote:
8 months ago
Do it. Don't want to hype it too much, but is was one of the best zombie movies I've seen.

materpillar
the caterpillar

Post by materpillar » 8 months ago

cheonice wrote:
8 months ago
Lifeless wrote:
8 months ago
cheonice wrote:
8 months ago
Do it. Don't want to hype it too much, but is was one of the best zombie movies I've seen.
Huh. I thought Train to Busan was good but not remotely as good as everyone says it is. It was definitely a zombie movie. It was definitely a good movie. I wouldn't put the word best anywhere near a conversation about it though.

benjameenbear

@toctheyounger I'll seriously consider Hereditary, but I'm often a HARD pass on possession and evil spirits.

Hm, I love me some zombie movies though. And I haven't actually watched Train to Busan. I'll add that to my queue. I just rented The Shining and Doctor Sleep from the library, and I'll be watching those ones tonight while my wife works. I don't think I've ever actually seen The Shining all the way through, so I realize I'm behind on some of my horror classics.

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 8 months ago

I strongly advise to everyone who wants to watch horror watch the limited series The Haunting of Hill House and Midnight Mass on Netflix. The former is definitely a spirit movie, but the spirits are more of a metaphor for trauma than spoopy demonic spirit stuff. The latter is a damned masterpiece of a rumination on belief and impermanence. With vampires. And monologues.

Other than that, here are some movies:

Behind the Mask: The Rise of Leslie Vernon
In the Mouth of Madness
Creepshow*
Funny Games
(either one, but the original is better IMO)
Begotten**
Dogtooth
The Witch

And finally, the granddaddy of all found footage exploitative horror movies,

Cannibal Holocaust

*Stephen King wrote this one and George Romero directed! A true classic.
** This was a joke. Do not, under any circumstances, actually attempt to watch this movie. I consider myself an experienced consumer of film and this was too much even for me.

EDIT: I forgot about The Greasy Strangler if you want to watch one of the most absurd horror/comedies I've ever seen.

DirkGently

Dunadain wrote:
8 months ago
I guess The Rani?
See but I feel like you kinda threw out a challenge for Me, the Immortal vs Skullbriar, the Walking Grave
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Dunadain
I like turtles
Answers: 2

Post by Dunadain » 8 months ago

DirkGently wrote:
8 months ago
Dunadain wrote:
8 months ago
I guess The Rani?
See but I feel like you kinda threw out a challenge for Me, the Immortal vs Skullbriar, the Walking Grave
I really don't think it's much of a challenge, Skullbriar, the Walking Grave runs circles around Me, the Immortal, and the more I think about it, the larger I think the gap is.

But by all means, go for it.
All cards are bad if you try hard enough.

Important decks: Ebondeath, Dracolich, Zask, Phelddagriff
Other: Karrthus, Eris, Emiel, The Blessed, Ruhan, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Help me complete my JumpStart Cube!

cheonice
Death to Chronos.

materpillar wrote:
8 months ago
cheonice wrote:
8 months ago
Lifeless wrote:
8 months ago

Huh. I thought Train to Busan was good but not remotely as good as everyone says it is. It was definitely a zombie movie. It was definitely a good movie. I wouldn't put the word best anywhere near a conversation about it though.
Maybe its my personal taste and that I'm still missing some of the zoombie classics. For me it was really unexpectedly great and enjoyable. But horror is definitively not my genre. 💁‍♂️

DirkGently

Dunadain wrote:
8 months ago
I really don't think it's much of a challenge, Skullbriar, the Walking Grave runs circles around Me, the Immortal, and the more I think about it, the larger I think the gap is.

But by all means, go for it.
Damn, you're really throwing down the gauntlet. You wanna build Skullbriar and I'll build Me?

I find it kinda strange because so much of your argument for defending Ebondeath, Dracolich compared to much more aggressively powerful commanders like Slicer, Hired Muscle // Slicer, High-Speed Antagonist is that ebondeath can slow roll and play more politically. But Skullbriar's biggest advantages against Me is that it's cheap and has haste, which makes it much more analogous to Slicer in this comparison (just much, much worse). Me's biggest advantages are reliable counter generation without needing to connect, and self-recursion, which seems much more analogous to Ebondeath (just better {I think}{at the very least the CI is way more powerful}).

This conversation sounds so ridiculous grammatically. Writing "Me's" instead of "My" is physically painful xD

Would very much like to discuss all the WHO commanders, but @Feyd_Ruin hasn't responded to my GBU submission =/ might post it in this forum soon if I don't hear from them? Not sure what's up.

Oh yeah and Train to Busan was mid, I remember literally nothing about it. I thought I did, but it turns out that was from A Quiet Place 2.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

5colorsrainbow
Answers: 1

Post by 5colorsrainbow » 8 months ago

-All three of Jordan Peele movies are great, my favorite is Us but I know people liked Get Out and Nope better.

-Babadook is my favorite
SPOILER
Show
Hide
trauma/depression is the monster all along
-The Scream series is classic though I would say you don't need to see 3 and I haven't seen 5cream or Scream 6 yet (on the queue for movie night with friends next week)

-The Black Phone is really good and the book its based on is written by Joe Hill who is the son of Stephen King and def inherited his dads sense of horror

-REC is also good, spoiler for only @benjameenbear
SPOILER
Show
Hide
its a zombie virus movie with the twist being it spread from a possessed girl that you do see but she acts more like a zombie. Not sure if that would be too much for you, but the movie plays out more as zombie/virus movie vs a possession
-Cabin the Woods is my favorite, love me meta -genre stuff, other one offs I like are; The Craft, The Menu, Nightmare on Elm Street 1 and 2, Halloween 1978 and 2018,

-Kids movies but Paranormen and Coraline are great. Though I like the book version of Coraline more.
“There are no weak Jews. I am descended from those who wrestle angels and kill giants. We were chosen by God. You were chosen by a pathetic little man who can't seem to grow a full mustache"

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 8 months ago

My two favorite horror films both involve Jeffrey Combs:
Re-Animator and Would You Rather?
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”