[Off-Topic] Community Chat Thread

materpillar
the caterpillar
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by materpillar » 1 year ago

Hermes_ wrote:
1 year ago
Well, I can edit the photos inpainting/upscaling, etc, TBH, I'm starting to feel like this was the wrong group to ask this :pensive:

EDIT: I just wanted something that's one of a kind not mass-produced everyone else has it kind of thing. I slightly have that with my playmat, the artwork from Diabolic tutor with both Lilianna and Chandra and I already have sleeves in my favorite color among other colors.
I'm not trying to be a downer. Art is subjective and all that.

1) Feels bland to me
2) Hits uncanny valley on me really hard
3) Feels like a motorcycle ad
4) Kinda neat
5) I dislike boob windows

These aren't really my speed personally but if you enjoy them knock yourself out. If I was going for custom sleeves I'd probably go with Master Transmuter or Voidmage Husher. Actually what you posted has an extremely similar feel to Voidmage Husher, but they just lack something I can't quite put my finger on or explain.

Hermes_
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Hermes_ » 1 year ago

materpillar wrote:
1 year ago
Hermes_ wrote:
1 year ago
Well, I can edit the photos inpainting/upscaling, etc, TBH, I'm starting to feel like this was the wrong group to ask this :pensive:

EDIT: I just wanted something that's one of a kind not mass-produced everyone else has it kind of thing. I slightly have that with my playmat, the artwork from Diabolic tutor with both Lilianna and Chandra and I already have sleeves in my favorite color among other colors.
I'm not trying to be a downer. Art is subjective and all that.

1) Feels bland to me
2) Hits uncanny valley on me really hard
3) Feels like a motorcycle ad
4) Kinda neat
5) I dislike boob windows

These aren't really my speed personally but if you enjoy them knock yourself out. If I was going for custom sleeves I'd probably go with Master Transmuter or Voidmage Husher. Actually what you posted has an extremely similar feel to Voidmage Husher, but they just lack something I can't quite put my finger on or explain.
Oh, I know you're not trying to be a downer and you have points,
1. That one was done with the prompt of : "Female holding a gun on a street in a post-apocalyptic city in ruins, destroyed buildings, sense of awe and scale, smog, dust blowing
So that explains the genericness of it
2. Was pulled from another image i made but changed the background to have flames lol
3.See number 2's reason lol
4.I have several variants of that background with different images for ex:
SPOILER
Show
Hide
5. I like the pose
SPOILER
Show
Hide
ImageImage
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 1 year ago

Airi wrote:
1 year ago
toctheyounger wrote:
1 year ago
It's nice to see you back, I hope you've been keeping well :)
It's been.... a time! I got promoted, got married, though said husband was diagnosed with cancer earlier this year so we've been writing through that. Though not to fear, the outlook is pretty good.
Congrats for the marriage and promotion! And sorry to hear about your husband's cancer. It's not always a death knell so I'm happy to hear of a positive outlook, but it's always a spanner in the works.

I'm 1 child deep now with one more on the way and still trying to afford this game lol. Life is hectic. But fun. Kids are a beautiful nightmare.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

Dunadain
I like turtles
Answers: 2

Post by Dunadain » 1 year ago

I have succumbed to peer pressure.

While my username here is Dunadain, across most of the internet, I go by trtl, a name I made up because turtles are funny and Super Smash Bros Melee has a four character limit to player names.

For some reason, Bowser is the turtle I went with here, though I am also a big fan of sunglasses squirtle.
All cards are bad if you try hard enough.

Important decks: Ebondeath, Dracolich, Emiel, The Blessed, Phelddagriff
Other: Ruhan, Zask, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Help me complete my JumpStart Cube!

materpillar
the caterpillar

Post by materpillar » 1 year ago

Hermes_ wrote:
1 year ago
SPOILER
Show
Hide
5. I like the pose
SPOILER
Show
Hide
ImageImage
Yikes, the face on number 4 got jacked in that image.
That top number 5 looks decent to me too. I like that one and the original #4 the best.

Hermes_

materpillar wrote:
1 year ago
Hermes_ wrote:
1 year ago
SPOILER
Show
Hide
5. I like the pose
SPOILER
Show
Hide
ImageImage
Yikes, the face on number 4 got jacked in that image.
That top number 5 looks decent to me too. I like that one and the original #4 the best.
It's funny you should mention the face, the original number four's head and jacket were off center before i fixed it to what you see lol, i had to do 5 or more runs to get a non-boob window or giving her a second face on her chest while keeping the face intact lol.

duducrash
Still Learning

Post by duducrash » 1 year ago

I have one sleeve with "art" is the ultra pro guild sleeves for my boros deck and they were at first pretty %$#% to shuffle. Still iffy on the shuffle feel

Airi
Queen of Salt
Pronoun: she / her

Post by Airi » 1 year ago

toctheyounger wrote:
1 year ago
Congrats for the marriage and promotion! And sorry to hear about your husband's cancer. It's not always a death knell so I'm happy to hear of a positive outlook, but it's always a spanner in the works.

I'm 1 child deep now with one more on the way and still trying to afford this game lol. Life is hectic. But fun. Kids are a beautiful nightmare.
Yeah, things went very sideways around the time it got diagnosed due to where the tumors were, but we caught it early enough.

Grats on the children! They are, however, very expensive.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 1 year ago

Airi wrote:
1 year ago
I'm in awe at how many people still have the same avatars after so many years ^.^
Change is bad. Bring back the cat avy! Also welcome back.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

Post by Lifeless » 1 year ago

TBH I'm glad Magic isn't as appealing to me as it used to be because with 2 young kids I wouldn't be able to break out and play much even if I wanted to. I am however excited to teach the rugrats using my cubes when they get a little older. My son already loves the Pokemon TCG so we're heading in the right direction.

Airi
Queen of Salt

ISBPathfinder wrote:
1 year ago
Change is bad. Bring back the cat avy! Also welcome back.
I've long lost the cat avatar, which is why I swapped to Moxxie, since it at least has... a kind of similar color pallet?

toctheyounger

Lifeless wrote:
1 year ago
TBH I'm glad Magic isn't as appealing to me as it used to be because with 2 young kids I wouldn't be able to break out and play much even if I wanted to. I am however excited to teach the rugrats using my cubes when they get a little older. My son already loves the Pokemon TCG so we're heading in the right direction.
I'm hoping for the same but it's too early to tell at 3. He loves dragons and stuff so fingers crossed he's just as much a nerd as I am.

Hermes_

toctheyounger wrote:
1 year ago
Lifeless wrote:
1 year ago
I'm hoping for the same but it's too early to tell at 3. He loves dragons and stuff so fingers crossed he's just as much a nerd as I am.
dragons or just plushies?

toctheyounger

Hermes_ wrote:
1 year ago
toctheyounger wrote:
1 year ago
Lifeless wrote:
1 year ago
dragons or just plushies?
Nah 'real' dragons. He got into Zog massively when he was younger and it's been a recurrent theme. He loves all animals which I want to encourage as much as I can anyway, but dragons are big for him. He loves me singing the songs from LotR and the Hobbit too.

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 1 year ago

My magic shrine:
IMG_3958.jpg
Scavenged some furniture that ended up being pretty much a perfect fit for my collection. Though I really need an extra box per color at this point.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

Post by Lifeless » 1 year ago

Nifty. I love a good storage solution.

Hermes_

having sleeves all the same color must make switching cards between decks easier.

We have one guy in our group who also has all of his decks minus his ninja deck which is orange use the same color black so that he can easily switch the same 15 or so cards ( all the cards are highly pricey) between decks. Why he doesn't just print or buy proxies of them is beyond me.

DirkGently

@Hermes_ My perm decks have their own colors of sleeves, since I don't move those cards around at all. My temporary decks I'm constantly building, playing, and disassembling, so using the same sleeves for all of them (black gloss dragonshields since 2013) just makes sense. I've got around 10K (or is it 12K now?) cards from which to build. I guess I could store them unsleeved, but sleeving and unsleeving a deck is annoying and it means my bare sweaty hands are touching the cards as I flip through them while constructing a deck.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

DirkGently

Just saw the D&D movie despite @Dunadain's lack of recommendation and I liked it a lot more than I thought I would. Fairly mindless fun, yeah, but that was never my issue with modern filmmaking.
D&D but only a little bit
Show
Hide
I think superficially it seems like I'd dislike it because, despite apocalyptic-ish stakes, there's basically no consequences for anyone by the end, but the big difference between D&D versus all the things I complain about is an issue of tone. D&D had a very light tone, so there was no expectation that anything terribly dark, or even realistic, was going to happen. If they'd hyped up how Holga was going to die for several hours of television *cough shadow and bone cough*, only to revert it, it would have been lame. But it's given very little weight, appropriately, so when she's predictably resurrected it doesn't feel like a huge cheat.

Anyway. not best picture or anything, but if Magic ever gets a movie I'd be quite happy if it was at the same level. Unfortunately, though, at least to my reading of it, magic has a significantly darker tone, which means when they're total cowards about any significant consequences for their heroes it rings hollow and weak.

By the way, if I didn't already spell this out earlier about the whole death thing - it really all goes back to my eternal #1 pet peeve for all dramatic fiction - when the hand of the author is visible. Comedy, go nuts, but if you want to tell a dramatic story your job as the writer is to be as discreet as possible. I should forget you exist and just get lost in the story. When you've got characters with god-tier plot armor shrugging off the apocalypse, it reminds me that this isn't real, it's a story. Being written by a moron.

One last minor note while I'm rambling, there was a trailer for the latest fast and the furious movie, which (1) I can't believe they're still making those and (2) it had one line that really stuck in my head, uttered by Vin Diesel in VO over scenes of cars getting dropped out of planes or whatever: "one of us might not come back from this." %$#% are you for real? If any of this happened in real life it'd be a miracle if a single one of you dumbasses lived to see another day. We're treating the POSSIBILITY that ONE person MIGHT die as some huge threat? YOU ARE DROPPING CARS OUT OF PLANES. Yes, of course it's unlikely that more than 1 significant character will die in that movie, or any modern blockbuster, but you don't have to just come out and SAY it.

Anyway I'm pretty sure we're learning how to drop cars out of planes as part of my next certification. More useful than you'd think tbh.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Dunadain
I like turtles
Answers: 2

Post by Dunadain » 1 year ago

DirkGently wrote:
1 year ago
Just saw the D&D movie despite @Dunadain's lack of recommendation and I liked it a lot more than I thought I would. Fairly mindless fun, yeah, but that was never my issue with modern filmmaking.
I wouldn't say I DON'T recommend it, it's just a movie that exists.

If this is what movie adaptations of games is going to look like from now on, I'd say that would be a net positive.
All cards are bad if you try hard enough.

Important decks: Ebondeath, Dracolich, Emiel, The Blessed, Phelddagriff
Other: Ruhan, Zask, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Help me complete my JumpStart Cube!

Hermes_

DirkGently wrote:
1 year ago

One last minor note while I'm rambling, there was a trailer for the latest fast and the furious movie, which (1) I can't believe they're still making those and (2) it had one line that really stuck in my head, uttered by Vin Diesel in VO over scenes of cars getting dropped out of planes or whatever: "one of us might not come back from this." %$#% are you for real? If any of this happened in real life it'd be a miracle if a single one of you dumbasses lived to see another day. We're treating the POSSIBILITY that ONE person MIGHT die as some huge threat? YOU ARE DROPPING CARS OUT OF PLANES. Yes, of course it's unlikely that more than 1 significant character will die in that movie, or any modern blockbuster, but you don't have to just come out and SAY it.
If it helps you feel smug and superior to folks who do enjoy it, you'll be either happy or sad to know that it's the last one and the word is that there's a body count among the main characters.

I think you could earn some plane fuel money with a YT where you just go off on whatever happens to bug you in the moment lol from movies to card/playmat art etc...

DirkGently

@Hermes_ I thought there's been a couple of "last ones" already, but I could be wrong.

I don't have strong feelings on the franchise overall as I haven't seen it. I just thought that particular line, and the weight it was given in the trailer, was emblematic of my annoyance with the magic storyline and modern writing tropes in general. If they kill off a bunch of characters then that might make the movie more compelling, but it doesn't make that line's use in the trailer less dumb.

All they'd really need to do to fix it would be to change it to "WE might not come back from this". Yeah, as the audience you know they almost certainly will, or at least most of them, but at least it sounds like something reasonable to say when doing something incredibly dangerous.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Hermes_

DirkGently wrote:
1 year ago
@Hermes_ I thought there's been a couple of "last ones" already, but I could be wrong.

I don't have strong feelings on the franchise overall as I haven't seen it. I just thought that particular line, and the weight it was given in the trailer, was emblematic of my annoyance with the magic storyline and modern writing tropes in general. If they kill off a bunch of characters then that might make the movie more compelling, but it doesn't make that line's use in the trailer less dumb.

All they'd really need to do to fix it would be to change it to "WE might not come back from this". Yeah, as the audience you know they almost certainly will, or at least most of them, but at least it sounds like something reasonable to say when doing something incredibly dangerous.
Once we got up to 8 movies Vin diesel let it out that the series would end with 10.

If you haven't seen it by now, nothing the trailer does/shows/says is going to make you want to see it so the actual intended audience it's "who isn't going to make out?" also the line and the way it's said fits with the how they talk. But then the whole Fast and Furious movies aren't meant to be high fancy art, but instead mindless entertainment that launched/ helped a few careers despite starting out from a one page article in a magazine.

So it goes right back to "I am annoyed by this enough to complain about it" :P but that's okay we still like you anyway.

And now I can't believe i wrote all that.

DirkGently

@Hermes_ Again, I don't have any opinion on the actual franchise. I'm talking strictly about the trailer. For all I know, within the context of the movie he says it when they're walking into an Arby's. But within the trailer, I think it's a fairly bald-faced appeal to the common storytelling tropes that want to keep raising the stakes without risking alienating audiences by having realistic consequences.

I mean I don't think it's hard to figure out what's going on in terms of the larger cultural trend. Most people aren't that interested in a story where the heroes go up against moderate odds and perform within expectations. They want a story worth hearing. So it's become a bit of a one-upmanship with movies having increasingly absurd odds and the heroes being so successful it's completely implausible. But then the writers realize "wait, we need to have SOME consequences or nobody will buy it," so then they kill Gideon or Theon or Iron Man and act like it's the worst thing that has ever happened.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Airi
Queen of Salt

I'm not a fan of huge spectacle movies anyways. Feels like it'd work out better in a different medium because the run time makes it really difficult to pull off both said spectacle, but also have decent pacing and room for the plot.

Though... my new preferred medium of story telling is web novels which can run for literally 1,000+ chapters so there's definitely some bias there.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”