Help me abuse Braid of Fire

Previous topicNext topic
User avatar
RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!
User avatar
Nexus Patron
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!
Pronoun: Unlisted
Location: Southern Maryland
Posts: 1739
Joined: 7 years ago

Post by RxPhantom 2 years ago

I'm in the early stages of building an Orthion, Hero of Lavabrink deck, and I realized I've had an unused Braid of Fire for ages that it would be perfect for. While it'll mostly be used for Orthion's abilities, I'd really like to be able to use that mana at other points in the turn than my upkeep. Are there any cards that can do that? Like Red Mana Battery but not slow and terrible?
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 5/26/24 (Modern Horizons III)

User avatar
void_nothing
Lily-and-Pearl Prince
User avatar
Nexus Admin
Lily-and-Pearl Prince
Pronoun: he / him
Location: Oreskos, Theros
Posts: 19324
Joined: 7 years ago

Post by void_nothing 2 years ago

Leyline Tyrant may be your best friend. It's also useful as an Orthion target!
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games for more quick reply games! | Collaborative Create-A-Booster | My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type, Kindred is a card type, and typal is a general term for caring about subtypes.

User avatar
darrenhabib
User avatar
Pronoun: Unlisted
Posts: 2092
Joined: 7 years ago

Post by darrenhabib 2 years ago


User avatar
DirkGently
My wins are unconditional
User avatar
My wins are unconditional
Pronoun: he / him
Posts: 6721
Joined: 7 years ago

Post by DirkGently 2 years ago

You know you can't activate orthion's abilities during upkeep? Stuff like the aforementioned leyline tyrant solve this problem, but I have a hard time imagining it's worth all the effort.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Ellie2 - Kaervek - Golos - Wayta - Zirilan

For my several hundred other decks, please see my expanded signature.
[ Extended Signature ]

User avatar
RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!
User avatar
Nexus Patron
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!
Pronoun: Unlisted
Location: Southern Maryland
Posts: 1739
Joined: 7 years ago

Post by RxPhantom 2 years ago

DirkGently wrote: ↑
2 years ago
You know you can't activate orthion's abilities during upkeep? Stuff like the aforementioned leyline tyrant solve this problem, but I have a hard time imagining it's worth all the effort.
Nooooooooo! Not reading the card gets me again!
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 5/26/24 (Modern Horizons III)

User avatar
3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison
User avatar
Kaalia's Personal Liaison
Pronoun: they / them
Location: Ruined City of Drannith, Ikoria
Posts: 7776
Joined: 7 years ago

Post by 3drinks 2 years ago

RxPhantom wrote: ↑
2 years ago
I'm in the early stages of building an Orthion, Hero of Lavabrink deck, and I realized I've had an unused Braid of Fire for ages that it would be perfect for. While it'll mostly be used for Orthion's abilities, I'd really like to be able to use that mana at other points in the turn than my upkeep. Are there any cards that can do that? Like Red Mana Battery but not slow and terrible?
Inferno of the Star Mounts should do the trick. Also the aforementioned Gemstone Array which would have been my shout. Can also use it to untap monoliths the hard way. Urza's Saga activations. Basically, if Thran Turbine would be of use, then Braid of Fire will have similar use but bigger.

Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”