[Off-Topic] Community Chat Thread

Hermes_
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Hermes_ » 1 month ago

Venedrex wrote:
1 month ago
You know what deck I really want to build as a joke?

The Jace Deck

Just as many cards as humanly possible that refer to Jace in someway led by Jace, Vryn's Prodigy // Jace, Telepath Unbound.

Not because I particularly like Jace but because I know so many people can't stand him lol. Maybe I am a troll lol. With Jace, Cunning Castaway sleeves for maximum mental damage. :P

To complete the effect, I could show up in a bad cosplay and endlessly talk about how Jace singlehandedly saved the multiverse with his incredible skills /s

The only issue is I doubt anyone would realize that's not my true personality.

I checked scryfall and I think if you include cards with Jace in the name or flavor text you pretty much get there for how many cards you'd need.
This actually sounds viable unlike chair tribal or ladies looking left
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

Venedrex
Wait, we can have titles?
Answers: 2
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Venedrex » 1 month ago

Hermes_ wrote:
1 month ago
Venedrex wrote:
1 month ago
You know what deck I really want to build as a joke?

The Jace Deck

Just as many cards as humanly possible that refer to Jace in someway led by Jace, Vryn's Prodigy // Jace, Telepath Unbound.

Not because I particularly like Jace but because I know so many people can't stand him lol. Maybe I am a troll lol. With Jace, Cunning Castaway sleeves for maximum mental damage. :P

To complete the effect, I could show up in a bad cosplay and endlessly talk about how Jace singlehandedly saved the multiverse with his incredible skills /s

The only issue is I doubt anyone would realize that's not my true personality.

I checked scryfall and I think if you include cards with Jace in the name or flavor text you pretty much get there for how many cards you'd need.
This actually sounds viable unlike chair tribal or ladies looking left
Yeah with Jace's Sanctum, Jace's Archivist, Brainstorm (Jace Edition), you got a real stew going lol.
Epicurean, EDH without Universes Beyond.

http://nxs.wf/np748831

BlackbirdPlaysMTG
Lost but seeking

Post by BlackbirdPlaysMTG » 1 month ago

Venedrex wrote:
1 month ago
Tegwyll, Duke of Splendor Yeah he looks fun to build, I could see myself putting together a nice faerie deck to play, a little bitterblossom, Glen Elendra Archmage. Yep, I like it.

I have an untested list for Tegwyll here if you need some inspiration (below the Alela list). Running a lot of faeries, some goodstuff support, Coastal Piracy effects, cheap interaction and some flavourful faerie cards. Gameplan is pretty straightforward. Cast faeries and turn 'ehm sideways :).
Venedrex wrote:
1 month ago
Yeah with Jace's Sanctum, Jace's Archivist, Brainstorm (Jace Edition), you got a real stew going lol.
I can envision a deck with many Jace cards that wins though Jace, Wielder of Mysteries. A lot of the Jaces draw you cards or something similar. You get to play Oath of Jace and Jace's Triumph is suddenly a 3-for-3, pretty decent. A Counterspell with Jace art from the spellbook. If you want to be obnoxious you can run Jace's Erasure + stuff and go for a convoluted infinite combo win and mill everyone's deck :woozy:.

Oh, and I used to have a Nissa, Vastwood Seer // Nissa, Sage Animist deck with a quite a few Nissa cards. She makes for a decent 'tribal' commander as well. Nissa's Triumph was a really powerful card in that deck.

Venedrex
Wait, we can have titles?

Post by Venedrex » 1 month ago

BlackbirdPlaysMTG wrote:
1 month ago
Venedrex wrote:
1 month ago
Tegwyll, Duke of Splendor Yeah he looks fun to build, I could see myself putting together a nice faerie deck to play, a little bitterblossom, Glen Elendra Archmage. Yep, I like it.

I have an untested list for Tegwyll here if you need some inspiration (below the Alela list). Running a lot of faeries, some goodstuff support, Coastal Piracy effects, cheap interaction and some flavourful faerie cards. Gameplan is pretty straightforward. Cast faeries and turn 'ehm sideways :).
Venedrex wrote:
1 month ago
I can envision a deck with many Jace cards that wins though Jace, Wielder of Mysteries. A lot of the Jaces draw you cards or something similar. You get to play Oath of Jace and Jace's Triumph is suddenly a 3-for-3, pretty decent. A Counterspell with Jace art from the spellbook. If you want to be obnoxious you can run Jace's Erasure + stuff and go for a convoluted infinite combo win and mill everyone's deck :woozy:.

Oh, and I used to have a Nissa, Vastwood Seer // Nissa, Sage Animist deck with a quite a few Nissa cards. She makes for a decent 'tribal' commander as well. Nissa's Triumph was a really powerful card in that deck.
Thanks, yeah that was my thought as well, I think the deck would be pretty synergistic around drawing and instants and sorceries/self mill with that sort of thing. I think a Nissa would be fun too like you said.

Hang on, I just reread Nissa's Triumph, does it say three LAND cards if you have a Nissa out? I thought for some reason it was just three basics instead of two lol. Field of the dead and Gaea's cradle here we come lol nice. Or thespians stage + dark depths dang.
Epicurean, EDH without Universes Beyond.

http://nxs.wf/np748831

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

Post by Guardman » 1 month ago

Last night reminded me why I enjoy playing EDH. For the past maybe half a year I haven't been enjoying commander as much as I used to. Like I would have fun, but often I would get home and be like I probably would've enjoyed watching a movie more. And I couldn't really figure it out until last night.

So some background, the way my LGS works is there a bunch of pods and a winner's pod. If you win your pod, then next week you are part of the winner's pod. So this week I was a part of the winner's pod. And it was three friends of mine (one of whom I've known since I was in high school). And I'm like, you know what, I just threw in a few rares into my Malcolm, Keen-Eyed Navigator // Breeches, Brazen Plunderer commander combo deck (mostly to power up the mana base, the counterspells, and add a little more redundancy), this is a good group to use it with. So seeing that, everyone does the same. The table ends up being Malcolm, Keen-Eyed Navigator // Breeches, Brazen Plunderer Pirate Combo, Kroxa, Titan of Death's Hunger resource denial, Azami, Lady of Scrolls control/Thassa's Oracle win, and Kess, Dissident Mage combo control.

Game 1 I win the die roll and open with a hand of Amoeboid Changeling, Reckless Fireweaver, Counterspell, Amphin Mutineer, and two lands. I keep it as if I draw another land and aren't interrupted, I easily win. That is exactly what happens as the Kess player was paying for upkeep for Mystic Remora, Kroxa was ramping and played Kroxa to make everyone discard, and Azami tapped out to play a Patron Wizard. Turn four I play Reckless Fireweaver, give it changeling with Amoeboid Changeling, and attacked with Malcolm, Keen-Eyed Navigator. And everyone was fine with me winning that way. It was nice compared to the fact I usually feel like I have to apologize for taking a person out or winning a game. Instead, everyone was in it to win it and the only thing that mattered was coming out on top.

Game 2 I won the die roll again, but made a mistake on turn 1 as I played my tapland instead of playing my Misty Rainforest as the Azami, Lady of Scrolls player switched to his Daretti, Scrap Savant deck and played a turn 1 Magus of the Moon via Mana Crypt locking me out of my hand full of blue cards until I drew an Island. I also made the mistake of getting into a counter war over a Cyclonic Rift instead of letting it resolve and countering Daretti's Smokestack when he played it again, but by that point I was too far behind to win anyways. Kess ended up winning off of Thassa's Oracle and Demonic Consultation.

Game 3 I switched to Etali, Primal Storm, Kroxa, Titan of Death's Hunger switched to Atla Palani, Nest Tender, Kess, Dissident Mage switched to Mizzix of the Izmagnus, and Daretti, Scrap Savant switched to Acererak the Archlich. Acererak went first, putting down a turn 1 Varragoth, Bloodsky Sire off of Mana Crypt. Turn 2 he played out most of his hand thanks to Helm of Awakening. Helm did let me get the funniest turn 2 board I've ever had with Etali. Off of a Jeska's Will for rrrrrr and Helm, I had a turn 2 board of two mountains, Etali, Primal Storm and Passionate Archaeologist. Unfortunately I never got to attack with it as Acererak Damnation. After that I kind of drew dead as I kept drawing lands. Eventually it becomes a two legged race between Acererak doing Acererak things and Mizzix doing Mizzix things who eventually wins off of a Dockside Extortionist for a ton of treasures and a hand full of spells.

I can't remember the last time I had such a fun commander night. And the funny thing is I usually dislike high powered commander as it can be a little goldfishing at times. But I had a really great time and I attribute it solely to playing with people who I enjoy as people and who aren't afraid to try and win.

BlackbirdPlaysMTG
Lost but seeking

@Guardman The way your store operates with that winner's pod sounds fun actually. No way they would implement something like that here though.

Sounds like a fun night for sure! If everyone is playing their best to win and no plays or game actions are off the table, you don't have these awkward moments were different people expect different things from a game of commander. That is one of the reasons I like to play Constructed as well. You can still have banter if you have the right opponent(s), but the game itself is all about getting that win in. I generally prefer to play with people who also have that mindset and personality.

duducrash
Still Learning

Post by duducrash » 1 month ago

There is a really really fringe Jace, Vryn's Prodigy // Jace, Telepath Unbound cedh deck and I heard that people will name Jace's Defeat with Demonic Consultation when winning. I think about that a lot

BlackbirdPlaysMTG
Lost but seeking

Managed to get five games in tonight during the FNM in the store closest by :grin:. Played two games with Avacyn, Angel of Hope (new deck which came in the mail this week), two games with Alela, Cunning Conqueror (which I updated and improved quite a bit) and one game with Ellivere of the Wild Court. My opponents have played several decks over the course of those five games: Aesi, Tyrant of Gyre Strait, Tergrid, God of Fright, Zurzoth, Chaos Rider, Ojer Axonil, Deepest Might, Kinnan, Bonder Prodigy, Myrel, Shield of Argive, Atraxa, Praetors' Voice and during the last game one guy left and was replaced by someone playing an unaltered Dr Who precon.

All three of the decks I brought managed to win a game. Avacyn once won in tandem with Serra's Emissary and incremental ramp/card advantage over the course of the game, Alela did her draw-go control thing really well and even though Ellivere of the Wild Court is my least upgraded/cheapest deck she just hits like a freight train (I think it's one of the best precons ever made - pretty consistent in what it does). The games I lost were once won by Tegrid, who managed to get an early Oppression and his commander down, and once by Aesi, Tyrant of Gyre Strait, who was able to basically get his entire manabase out and bury us in mana advantage and cards.

EDIT: Six games actually, I lost another game when I was on Avacyn. One of my opponents was on a mono-blue commander and he managed to take like four extra turns and work his way towards an infinite.

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 1 month ago

Lmao, Kyle picks Preston Garvey, Minuteman as his "can't miss pick". I guess he has a decent shot to clear, but he's the least popular 3c commander out of the set, and rightfully so.

Not as bad as Izoni, Center of the Web or Donna Noble at least. Did someone curse Kyle to only choose terrible commanders for his can't miss? Or maybe it drives engagement by baiting people into commenting…
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

BlackbirdPlaysMTG
Lost but seeking

DirkGently wrote:
1 month ago
Lmao, Kyle picks Preston Garvey, Minuteman as his "can't miss pick". I guess he has a decent shot to clear, but he's the least popular 3c commander out of the set, and rightfully so.

Not as bad as Izoni, Center of the Web or Donna Noble at least. Did someone curse Kyle to only choose terrible commanders for his can't miss? Or maybe it drives engagement by baiting people into commenting…
What Preston reminds me of:
Show
Hide
Me: can we have
?

Mom: no, we have
at home.

at home:
Not hating on Preston though, he is a pretty standup guy in Fallout 4. Just became a bit of a meme in the community though.

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 1 month ago

@BlackbirdPlaysMTG Oof, yeah, he does not compare well to Estrid. Costs more, has to attack for the untap, his auras are comparatively useless, worse colors...
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

BlackbirdPlaysMTG
Lost but seeking

DirkGently wrote:
1 month ago
@BlackbirdPlaysMTG Oof, yeah, he does not compare well to Estrid. Costs more, has to attack for the untap, his auras are comparatively useless, worse colors...
I can't really find a good reason to run him over Estrid (or Jorn, God of Winter). When I first glanced over the card I thought the settlement auras gave an extra mana, but they don't even do that. Then again, not everything has to be super-optimised. Enchantress and big mana untap stuff decks already have enough powerful commander options and tools :P.

Also, I just want to say that I really enjoy being part of this forum and reading the brilliant primers that people put together :cool:. Users take the time to comment in-depth on stuff and it's refreshing to see how they approach deckbuilding and evaluating cards differently. I get more out of this forum than Reddit for example.

duducrash
Still Learning

I kinda want to play an aggro deck. A true low curve smash face kind of deck.

Any suggestions? I was thinking of Anim Pakal, Thousandth Moon . I want to play dudes and hit face

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 1 month ago

duducrash wrote:
1 month ago

Any suggestions? I was thinking of Anim Pakal, Thousandth Moon . I want to play dudes and hit face
Isshin, Two Heavens as One would be my choice. Nice low cost, three solid colors, technically overstatted, and comes which an ability that doubles the efficacy of the whole squad.

Good luck with whatever you choose! You're doing the Lord's work in the red zone
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

pokken

Post by pokken » 1 month ago

duducrash wrote:
1 month ago
Winota, Joiner of Forces is the epitome of that to me. 1 2 3 babooom.

plus you get to play crazy high curve humans which never see play (like Evangel of Heliod)

Airi
Queen of Salt
Pronoun: she / her

Post by Airi » 1 month ago

Venedrex wrote:
1 month ago
BlackbirdPlaysMTG wrote:
1 month ago
Agreed, I have been toying around with Dimir quite a lot lately even though I never really considered building a blue-black deck before. Bought the Fae Dominion precon a few months ago and I brewed up a list for all of the three legendaries: Alela, Cunning Conqueror (currently built), Tegwyll, Duke of Splendor and Nymris, Oona's Trickster.

The playstyle of all three is fun. Quite a bit of interaction, counterspells, tricks and black for the tutors :nerd:.
Just make sure you have a sac outlet available if you're low on health. Boardwipes can hurt quite a bit if you actually get going.

Dunadain
I like turtles

Post by Dunadain » 1 month ago

Raffine, Scheming Seer remains the best aggro list I've ever seen.

I tried making Gut, True Soul Zealot work, but it felt like doing anything besides mld and stax would have been shooting myself in the foot, and I want to keep my friends.
All cards are bad if you try hard enough.

Important decks: Ebondeath, Dracolich, Emiel, The Blessed, Phelddagriff
Other: Ruhan, Zask, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Help me complete my JumpStart Cube!

Ruiner

Post by Ruiner » 1 month ago

duducrash wrote:
1 month ago

I've found that Nalia de'Arnise is pretty fun as a low mana cost beat face deck. My list is in my signature of you happen to be interested.

duducrash
Still Learning

Dunadain wrote:
1 month ago
Raffine, Scheming Seer remains the best aggro list I've ever seen.

I tried making Gut, True Soul Zealot work, but it felt like doing anything besides mld and stax would have been shooting myself in the foot, and I want to keep my friends.
Ive had Raffine in the past! She was a blast a for a while, but I think she got a little too strong unfortunately. I could lower her power but lowering just for lowering aint much fun. She is the 2nd strongest aggro ive seen. First was low curve Edgar Markov that was popular in 2017-18 unsure how well it holds up but it was a menace, flying under the radar.
pokken wrote:
1 month ago
duducrash wrote:
1 month ago
Winota, Joiner of Forces is the epitome of that to me. 1 2 3 babooom.

plus you get to play crazy high curve humans which never see play (like Evangel of Heliod)
I play against her weekly and she is super strong, almost feels combo-y. Hits hard, locks you out of games..

@TheAmericanSpirit yeah, nobody loves atacking more than this guy. Wish he was boros

duducrash
Still Learning

Douple post to point :

Rafine filtering and low curve Edgar were brought to forums by @ISBPathfinder

Hermes_

one of the guys in my local group found this themed deck on twitter DIVORCE TRIBAL https://www.moxfield.com/decks/PxWNIpWjWEGZQm3VHoL54w

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 1 month ago

duducrash wrote:
1 month ago
Douple post to point :

Rafine filtering and low curve Edgar were brought to forums by @ISBPathfinder
I am a sucker for low curve aggro. I did a few other ones too that didn't get as much traction outside of me playing like Sai, Master Thopterist artificer which was about as fast but a lot more of a glass cannon. I love low curve aggro though its something that pulls me in lol.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

Toshi
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Post by Toshi » 1 month ago

duducrash wrote:
1 month ago
I've had great fun with Gallia of the Endless Dance!

She's super fast as a token commander, comes with whacky CA and is a rare sight at tables, which is also a big plus in my book.
My list is not even super thought through or optimized but goes a long way. Plus, who doesn't like to drop Bedlam for maximum havoc?

Hermes_

So,due to budget issues that would have happened with owning a car, I got a scooter/moped

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 1 month ago

Hermes_ wrote:
1 month ago
So,due to budget issues that would have happened with owning a car, I got a scooter/moped

Make sure you wear your helmet, a jacket, and some thick pants. I crashed one of those when I was 16 and the extent of the road rash was brutal. Still got scars.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”