Unreleased and New Card Discussion

Sporegorger_Dragon
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 1 year ago

Guardman wrote:
1 year ago
Something I saw that is really neat with Ivy, Gleeful Spellthief is that she works with mutate.
Wh-what :o

That is so cursed. I knew the Bestow creatures would work (kill my commander, I get a bunch of enchantment creature tokens when they detach), but somehow my mind didn't make the cognitive leap to mutate.

As an aside: OH COME ON! Sprouting Goblin was clearly meant to be a Saproling maker.
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 1 year ago

New Garna feels like a Rakdos Savra, Queen of the Golgari, Achieving glory from dying in battle is very Keldon. Ball Lightning-aristocrats might be where I go with this one.

Ivy, Gleeful Spellthief is a better Eutropia the Twice-Favored for UG auras. Ramp into double Colossifications? All right!

EDIT: I figured Tear Asunder would be rare. Wonder when they will create a standalone 2cmc exile Naturalize.

Twinferno also outclasses almost all of those similar cards due to modality and cost (Galvanic Iteration at least has GY synergy.)
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

duducrash
Still Learning

Post by duducrash » 1 year ago

Twinferno is versatile which is nice. I'll try it in Veyran, Voice of Duality .

Ratadrabik of Urborg [/card] is pretty neat. I'll try them in my Kethis build!

Karn's Sylex I was a bit bummed about the etb tapped but I think the wipe part is a bonus. Not being able to pay life makes it a pretty good hate card

Edit : marked the wrong urborg legend

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

Post by Lifeless » 1 year ago

At first glance I absolutely hate Jodah, The Unifier. Maybe it's just salt from playing against his previous iteration, but I don't want to ever see this in play or deal with the pseudo-cascade nonsense.

Tatyova, Steward of Tides on the other had puts a smile on my face. I'm a simple man and I love a good UG legend that doesn't draw cards.

PrimevalCommander

Post by PrimevalCommander » 1 year ago

Tear Asunder adding black gives it a bit more color pie area to play in, and reduces it's available pool of decks. Pretty good card for uncommon
Twinferno has me more interested than any other version of this. Even if spell copying and doublestrike don't always seem like a good pair, I immediately though of Kalamax, the Stormsire, who slings instants and routinely kills with commander damage. I had been keeping an eye out for a double strike combat trick with upside, Psychotic Fury didn't make the cut due to the targeting restriction.

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 1 year ago

so Thran Portal looks interesting but I think i'll pass on it
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

Venedrex
Wait, we can have titles?
Answers: 2
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Venedrex » 1 year ago

Epicurean, EDH without Universes Beyond.

http://nxs.wf/np748831

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 1 year ago

White got the short end of this cycle.

I imagine black will be a zombie lord that can drain life or nuke graveyards
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

Hawk
Slayer of Threads

Post by Hawk » 1 year ago

All these lords are insane. It's crazy to think that Valiant Veteran and Rundvelt Hordemaster are the worst of the cycle so far although they're all still very good. They're just not as good as elves first 2CMC lord stapled to Lifecrafter's Bestiary or another 2CMC Merfolk lord that turns all your merfolk into Cursecatchers. I imagine black is Zombies, but it'd be spicy to have it be Phyrexians. But betting for Phyrexian tribal in "All Will be One".

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

Post by Guardman » 1 year ago

Hawk wrote:
1 year ago
All these lords are insane. It's crazy to think that Valiant Veteran and Rundvelt Hordemaster are the worst of the cycle so far although they're all still very good. They're just not as good as elves first 2CMC lord stapled to Lifecrafter's Bestiary or another 2CMC Merfolk lord that turns all your merfolk into Cursecatchers. I imagine black is Zombies, but it'd be spicy to have it be Phyrexians. But betting for Phyrexian tribal in "All Will be One".
I actually think Rundvelt Hordemaster might secretly be the best one. He is basically a creature lord version of Fecundity and anyone who remembers Dirty Kitty remembers what happens when Goblins and Fecundity combine.

PrimevalCommander

I've noticed they are bringing back Kicker in a big way, and I like it. Though kicker has not had much luck making it into my decks so far. Typically both modes are a bit over costed, which puts a damper on the flexibility. Sheoldred's Restoration is a worse zombify unkicked, and kicked you could get a Necromantic Selection. It needed to be with kicker and it still would be bottom of the top 10 non-creature reanimators, if that. Maybe that would have made it a rare slot.

I'm not thinking about limited playability though, there a 3 mv reanimate may skew the draft format. Though those type of cards don't seem to be limited bombs.

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 1 year ago

Hermes_ wrote:
1 year ago
It seems confusingly bad. Mana Confluence always enters untapped and doesn't commit you to 1 color. Boring old evolving wilds always enters tapped but doesn't cost life and gives you a shuffle, and it's a common.

I'm sure it'll get played in gate decks but it still sucks. It does also function in the 2c domain commanders but nobody is going to build any of those and 1 land won't change that.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Wayta - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Eris - Magda - Ghired2 - Xander - Me - Slogurk - Gilraen - Shelob2 - Kellan1 - Leori - Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Hawk
Slayer of Threads

Post by Hawk » 1 year ago

Thran Portal is a lot of words for a card that's basically just a marginally better Gateway Plaza for Gates.dec.

EDIT:
DirkGently wrote:
1 year ago
Hermes_ wrote:
1 year ago
It seems confusingly bad. Mana Confluence always enters untapped and doesn't commit you to 1 color. Boring old evolving wilds always enters tapped but doesn't cost life and gives you a shuffle, and it's a common.

I'm sure it'll get played in gate decks but it still sucks. It does also function in the 2c domain commanders but nobody is going to build any of those and 1 land won't change that.
Hypothetically an Azorious, Izzet, or Boros deck could get to "Domain" with this + Yavimaya, Cradle of Growth and Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth? Probably too silly/fragile to be a thing plus all the Domain commanders so far are G/X so...

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 1 year ago

Hawk wrote:
1 year ago
Hypothetically an Azorious, Izzet, or Boros deck could get to "Domain" with this + Yavimaya, Cradle of Growth and Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth? Probably too silly/fragile to be a thing plus all the Domain commanders so far are G/X so...
I was also thinking about the urborg/yavimaya possibilities, or lack thereof. Green and black are also the colors best suited to tutoring lands, so a theoretical azorius domain commander would have a hard time finding the right lands anyway.

By my math we're still missing a gruul uncommon legend, so most likely I think we'll see a RG domain option too.

I guess you could make it work with the triad of Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth, Unstable Frontier, and Thran Portal, except for the GB one, and there are a reasonable number of green land tutors. Definitely playing on hard mode, though, compared to playing/fetching a triome and a dual and having 5 types on turn 2 with minimal effort.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Wayta - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Eris - Magda - Ghired2 - Xander - Me - Slogurk - Gilraen - Shelob2 - Kellan1 - Leori - Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

5colorsrainbow
Answers: 1

Post by 5colorsrainbow » 1 year ago

I say this in a positive way but so far the set doesn't interest me, which is fine, I rather not spend money on card for every set and can just save up for Eldraine.
“There are no weak Jews. I am descended from those who wrestle angels and kill giants. We were chosen by God. You were chosen by a pathetic little man who can't seem to grow a full mustache"

NZB2323

Post by NZB2323 » 1 year ago

DirkGently wrote:
1 year ago
Hawk wrote:
1 year ago
I was also thinking about the urborg/yavimaya possibilities, or lack thereof. Green and black are also the colors best suited to tutoring lands, so a theoretical azorius domain commander would have a hard time finding the right lands anyway.

By my math we're still missing a gruul uncommon legend, so most likely I think we'll see a RG domain option too.

I guess you could make it work with the triad of Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth, Unstable Frontier, and Thran Portal, except for the GB one, and there are a reasonable number of green land tutors. Definitely playing on hard mode, though, compared to playing/fetching a triome and a dual and having 5 types on turn 2 with minimal effort.
It's probably a long shot, but I'm hoping the Gruul commander is a Kavu so we can finally have a legendary Kavu.
Current Decks
rg Morophon, the infinite Kavu Eowyn, human tribal Legolas, voltron control Wb Tymna/Ravos cleric tribal Neheb, Chicago Bulls tribal Ug Edric pauper

Retired Decks
Edgar Markov Kaalia, angel board wipes Ghen, prison Captain Sisay Ub Nymris, draw go Sarulf, voltron control Niv-Mizzet, combo Winota Sidisi, Zombie Tribal

Dunadain
I like turtles
Answers: 2

Post by Dunadain » 1 year ago

Another sol ring reprint, my dreams of it getting banned continue to be bashed.
All cards are bad if you try hard enough.

Important decks: Ebondeath, Dracolich, Zask, Phelddagriff
Other: Karrthus, Eris, Emiel, The Blessed, Ruhan, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Help me complete my JumpStart Cube!

Dunharrow

Dunadain wrote:
1 year ago
Fast mana and cheap tutors really suck the fun out of so many games.

NZB2323

Post by NZB2323 » 1 year ago

So it looks like no legendary Kavu for the set but at least Defiler of Instinct goes infinite with Morophon, the Boundless and Horned Kavu.
Current Decks
rg Morophon, the infinite Kavu Eowyn, human tribal Legolas, voltron control Wb Tymna/Ravos cleric tribal Neheb, Chicago Bulls tribal Ug Edric pauper

Retired Decks
Edgar Markov Kaalia, angel board wipes Ghen, prison Captain Sisay Ub Nymris, draw go Sarulf, voltron control Niv-Mizzet, combo Winota Sidisi, Zombie Tribal

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 1 year ago

Dunadain wrote:
1 year ago
I think that shipped sailed years ago

I'm sorry but a creature with the name Rasputin in it should be harder to kill/remove than Rasputin, the Oneiromancer and I think Valiant Veteran will go good in my soldier token deck
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

PrimevalCommander

LOL at Rasputin, the Oneiromancer for Wizards making him Blink resistant by giving opponents creatures to attack you with. Non-issue if your going infinite, but still funny to see them say "If you want to blink this guy for value, you can be punished for it by giving your opponents a swarm of goblins." I'd like to see a Ghostly Prison / Propaganda deck where you give your opponents as many goblins as possible and see what happens.

Who's the one around here that plays Tivadar of Thorn goblin slayer deck? That would be a funny spinoff deck with Tivadar in the 99.

Thousand-Year Elixir + Eldrazi Displacer is infinite as long as you have 3 opponents right?

duducrash
Still Learning

Post by duducrash » 1 year ago

I dont get Thran Portal . How does it work? I chose 1 land type?

materpillar
the caterpillar

Post by materpillar » 1 year ago

PrimevalCommander wrote:
1 year ago
Who's the one around here that plays Tivadar of Thorn goblin slayer deck? That would be a funny spinoff deck with Tivadar in the 99.
You summoned me?

I've been tempted to build 5c specific creature type hate with sliver overlord at the helm and full of stuff like Unnatural Selection and Tivadar of Thorn in the 99. It's just way funnier to do in mono-w than it is in multi-color. You just get so many more style points running Tivadar of Thorn at the helm.

Dunharrow

duducrash wrote:
1 year ago
I dont get Thran Portal . How does it work? I chose 1 land type?
I am not sure I would even play it in a 2 color deck in limited. Outside of a gate deck, it won't see play in commander, and even then I am not sure it is good enough.

PrimevalCommander

materpillar wrote:
1 year ago
PrimevalCommander wrote:
1 year ago
You summoned me?

I've been tempted to build 5c specific creature type hate with sliver overlord at the helm and full of stuff like Unnatural Selection and Tivadar of Thorn in the 99. It's just way funnier to do in mono-w than it is in multi-color. You just get so many more style points running Tivadar of Thorn at the helm.
I fully agree.

I'm sure there's a relatively easy way to weaponize opponents creatures to turn those gobbos into a legitimate wincon. I just don't remember off hand in white or blue, and can't be bothered to look it up.

Karn's Sylex is cool and all, but ETBt is rough for a wipe like this. Nevinyrral's Disk has been around since the beginning and I only really see it either with untappers, and/or Darksteel forge. If they're cheap, I'll pick one up, but I'm not short on sweepers in any color these days. And sorcery speed, meh. Maybe some mono color decks might want this as a way to clear artifacts and enchantments. Very telegraphed if your not jumping through the hoops.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”