Unreleased and New Card Discussion

duducrash
Still Learning
Pronoun: he / him

Post by duducrash » 7 months ago

DirkGently wrote:
7 months ago
Okay, there is a way to do infinite untaps during your untap step but it's very complicated and revolves around our good friend Panglacial Wurm.

https://www.reddit.com/r/BadMtgCombos/s/I6X83pu56I
JUDGE!!!

(I dont know if it works but I feel it does not)

Dunadain
I like turtles
Answers: 2
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Dunadain » 7 months ago

DirkGently wrote:
7 months ago
Okay, there is a way to do infinite untaps during your untap step but it's very complicated and revolves around our good friend Panglacial Wurm.

https://www.reddit.com/r/BadMtgCombos/s/I6X83pu56I
this is the best MTG subreddit
All cards are bad if you try hard enough.

Important decks: Ebondeath, Dracolich, Emiel, The Blessed, Phelddagriff
Other: Ruhan, Zask, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Help me complete my JumpStart Cube!

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 7 months ago

Man the ancient one really sucks for such an iconic name. Who was it that had the high cmc matters deck? Guess it gives a new avenue for that, albeit a really bad one.
duducrash wrote:
7 months ago
JUDGE!!!

(I dont know if it works but I feel it does not)
I'm not 100% positive but I'm pretty sure that if it didn't work there would be a thousand rules lawyers commenting in the thread.

It works (I believe) because there are no triggers involved, it's pure replacement effects. undiscovered paradise bounces during untap (check the errata), which means the painland is back in play (critically not a trigger to return it, just a consequence of the exile effect ending), the entering of which is replaced with paying 2 life and entering untapped, which is replaced with losing the game, which is replaced with gaining life, which is replaced with drawing cards, which is replaced with tutoring, during which you can cast panglacial wurm because panglacial worm breaks every rule of magic and does not GAF. Then you've got a spell on the stack and priority passes.

There's maybe a chance that the wurm has to wait to go onto the stack until upkeep? If it doesn't work, I'd assume that's how it fails?

edit: okay, so possibly this does not work:

500.3. A step in which no players receive priority ends when all specified actions that take place during that step are completed. The only such steps are the untap step (see rule 502) and certain cleanup steps (see rule 514).

So that would imply that, while the wurm will be on the stack during the untap step, it will remain on the stack while the game proceeds to upkeep, and then players will get priority.

But I wouldn't mind a more expert opinion. @WizardMN!
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

duducrash
Still Learning

DirkGently wrote:
7 months ago
500.3. A step in which no players receive priority ends when all specified actions that take place during that step are completed. The only such steps are the untap step (see rule 502) and certain cleanup steps (see rule 514).
Yeah, I don't have the tecnical expertise but I feel like everything would resolve and yo would not the ability to keep responding. but I'm nowhere near judge understanding levels of this crazy ass game

WizardMN
Answers: 131

Post by WizardMN » 7 months ago

DirkGently wrote:
7 months ago
edit: okay, so possibly this does not work:

So that would imply that, while the wurm will be on the stack during the untap step, it will remain on the stack while the game proceeds to upkeep, and then players will get priority.
This is a very interesting setup with one massive caveat I will mention at the end. I would argue that the rules don't inherently stop it from working. But we can break it down. Before that, I would mention that, unless I missed something, this combo does take two turn cycles to work as it is written. The Angel turned Undiscovered Paradise can't tap for mana in the opponent's end step right away since it doesn't have haste. As long as it has haste from something, this can be done in one turn cycle. Otherwise, it would have to wait until your next turn after the Angel is cast to really work.

Anyway, let's dive in. To start with, the rule mentioned in the thread is 502.4:

502.4. No player receives priority during the untap step, so no spells can be cast or resolve and no abilities can be activated or resolve. Any ability that triggers during this step will be held until the next time a player would receive priority, which is usually during the upkeep step. (See rule 503, "Upkeep Step.")

Neither Mana Abilities and Panglacial Wurm require priority. Wurm doesn't because of how it functions so it can't require priority which means it doesn't run afoul of this rule. Mana abilities are much the same. They also don't require priority as long as you are in the middle of casting a spell or activating an ability that requires a mana payment. The comment in the rule about "no spells can be cast" is meant to be a clarification on the priority statement not a rule in itself. Which means that this rule doesn't really apply to this situation in any meaningful way as it isn't actually forbidding spells from being cast in the Untap. Just saying that, by default, you can't simply because you don't have priority. The combo is manufacturing a way to ensure the Wurm can be cast which seems just fine.

So, I think a good thing to recognize is that everything listed in the thread beyond the Wurm interaction does seem to work (assuming haste and/or doing this over multiple turns). The Angel interaction stops the life loss from 2 life so the player is still at 2 life as they try to gain 3 life and then draw cards and then search. So, I can't see anything in the "base" combo that doesn't function right.

So, obviously, the question is whether the Wurm makes this work and I believe it does. The Wurm is saying it can be cast while searching and you are searching your library. So that checks out and Wurm allows that to happen. In order to be able to cast the Wurm, you need to pay for it which Pili-Pala allows for. Basically, if we remove the Untap step from the situation, this is hardly any different than any other scenario with Wurm. Something is happening when you don't get priority, Wurm says it can be cast, Pili-Pala then allows the generation of mana, so that works just fine.

Adding in the Untap step doesn't change much. It is really just another scenario where you don't get priority but any time the Wurm is involved, this doesn't matter since you never have priority with the Wurm being cast. Which, to me, means that this scenario is fully functional with the way the rules are written. At least, there doesn't seem to be anything expressly forbidding this from happening mostly because the rules rarely forbid things. They are written to say what can happen and combining all of these things allows this to happen.

At the end of all this, I can't find anything that suggests this cannot be done as written. And Dirk is right that the primary reason this works this way is because everything is replacement effects with no triggers. Dirk is also right that the Wurm will be on the stack in the Upkeep. But the scenario allows putting it onto the stack in the untap which allows for the generation of mana and everything else. Of course, at the end of this, the triggers from the Calendar also go onto the stack in the Upkeep where someone can respond to blow it up before those triggers resolve.

Now, with all of that being said, I will offer the same caveat that I would have offered in the Judge Chat whenever a Panglacial Wurm question came up: scenarios with Panglacial Wurm aren't really really scenarios and aren't really worth diving into too deeply to get a real answer. They are theorycrafting and hypothetical and this is no different. A ton of convoluted scenarios rely on it solely because it doesn't work in the rules right but none would ever actually happen in a real game, this one included.

NZB2323

Post by NZB2323 » 7 months ago

Glimpse the Core is another ramp spell that only cost 2 mana, even for decks that don't have caves.
Current Decks
rg Morophon, the infinite Kavu Eowyn, human tribal Legolas, voltron control Wb Tymna/Ravos cleric tribal Neheb, Chicago Bulls tribal Ug Edric pauper

Retired Decks
Edgar Markov Kaalia, angel board wipes Ghen, prison Captain Sisay Ub Nymris, draw go Sarulf, voltron control Niv-Mizzet, combo Winota Sidisi, Zombie Tribal

CommanderMaster999

Post by CommanderMaster999 » 7 months ago

hmmm Chimil, the Inner Sun is decent

lier was the grouphug version but this is legitimate first time i've seen a permanent that makes every single type of card uncounterable that's one sided.

and the discover 5 at your endsteps is a cherry on top.

Dunadain
I like turtles

WizardMN wrote:
7 months ago
Now, with all of that being said, I will offer the same caveat that I would have offered in the Judge Chat whenever a Panglacial Wurm question came up: scenarios with Panglacial Wurm aren't really really scenarios and aren't really worth diving into too deeply to get a real answer. They are theorycrafting and hypothetical and this is no different. A ton of convoluted scenarios rely on it solely because it doesn't work in the rules right but none would ever actually happen in a real game, this one included.
Great explanation @WizardMN but I disagree with this caveat. Corner cases that would "never happen in a real game" do happen. That's why we have judges.

I've even come across the Panglacial Wurm + Selvala, Explorer Returned interaction in a real game.

If Panglacial Wurm really did not work within the rules, then it should have been banned or errataed so that it does. The card is certainly funky, and like many interactions that involve variance, you may need a judge to use their best judgement (the iconic example being Wirefly Hive), but the card does "work in the rules right".

Other: Ruhan, Zask, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

WizardMN
Answers: 131

Post by WizardMN » 7 months ago

Dunadain wrote:
7 months ago
WizardMN wrote:
7 months ago

Great explanation @WizardMN but I disagree with this caveat. Corner cases that would "never happen in a real game" do happen. That's why we have judges.

I've even come across the Panglacial Wurm + Selvala, Explorer Returned interaction in a real game.

If Panglacial Wurm really did not work within the rules, then it should have been banned or errataed so that it does. The card is certainly funky, and like many interactions that involve variance, you may need a judge to use their best judgement (the iconic example being Wirefly Hive), but the card does "work in the rules right".
I was mostly being facetious and hyperbolic but the number of theoretical questions the judge chat gets about Wurm is very high compared to real questions about it. I shouldn't say they never come up but real questions are relatively rare.

materpillar
the caterpillar

Post by materpillar » 7 months ago

DirkGently wrote:
7 months ago
Man the ancient one really sucks for such an iconic name. Who was it that had the high cmc matters deck? Guess it gives a new avenue for that, albeit a really bad one.
Thought about it. It isn't good enough, even if you discard only 12 drops you need to activate it at least 6 times to mill maybe someone out. Compare that to Heretic's Punishment that needs only 4 activations to kill someone from full health (and you rarely need to burn people from full health).

I only run 2 two-drops in this deck. They're Mindshrieker and Keen Duelist. The Ancient One doesn't do remotely enough to justify bringing my curve down. XD

yeti1069

Post by yeti1069 » 7 months ago

If it was a horror, and if the activated ability cost 1 less, I think I would have been kind of excited to find a slot for this in Captain N'ghathrod, but off-type, a too-costly activated ability, and the deck's lack of self-mill mean it's not happening.

Dunadain
I like turtles

Probably justified in Eidolon deck.

Aurora Eidolon, Enigma Eidolon, Entropic Eidolon, Sandstorm Eidolon, and Verdant Eidolon for reference.

Low mv multi color card to get the eidolons back, and an activated ability that turns into card advantage with said eidolons.

Edit: honestly, with Master of Death you get three of then just in UB, so you could even run him as a commander.

The deck will be comically slow, but CA engine +win con in the command zone is at least defendable.

Honestly, just to be contrarian, I might build that.

Edit 2.0: The Ancient One can even self-mill in the early game. Screw it, I'm definitely building this, I don't expect it to be good, but it's getting my creative juices flowing much more than your average commander does.

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 7 months ago

Dirge of the Forgotten

I run Strategic Planning and Ransack the Lab in Kess as draw-three-for-two. This thing slots in nicely alongside them (though I doubt I will hit the Descent too often).
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

Dunadain
I like turtles

Did Hunting Velociraptor just change the rules of prowl? Or has prowel always officially worked like this and the reminder texts just said "rogue" because all cards with prowl were rogues?

Now that I think about it, there's a million ways to change/add creature types, and plenty of creatures with prowl had multiple types, so this is definitely different.

Before this card existed, could I name dragon with Conspiracy and play cards for their prowl cost if any of my creatures did damage, even non-rogues/goblins?

Edit: I did my research, and it's always worked like this, NVM, lol, good to know.

CommanderMaster999

😲....WHAT!?!.....its the third time in history.

"Echoing Deeps" is essentially a weaker Vesuva (the land has to be in a graveyard)

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 7 months ago

Tarrian's Soulcleaver could rack up counters pretty quickly since it is not limited to your stuff.
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

ironic gesture

Post by ironic gesture » 7 months ago

Serenade wrote:
7 months ago
Tarrian's Soulcleaver could rack up counters pretty quickly since it is not limited to your stuff.
It's not non-token so I agree. And the costs are low.

PrimevalCommander

Post by PrimevalCommander » 7 months ago

Compy Swarm is one of the only cards from Jurassic Park that I am interested in. It doesn't swarm nearly as fast as Scute Swarm, but it only takes a couple turns to start popping off. Might be good redundancy for BG decks that need some sac fodder. Also is self-sustaining after the first trigger and triggers the first turn its out. Not terrible for 3 mana.

The basic lands look pretty cool too. Don't think I have any use for them, but I like them anyway. My wife likes Jurassic Park a lot.

Sporegorger_Dragon

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 7 months ago

Xavier Sal, Infested Captain is my kind of guy. In the Custom Card forums, I keep churning out token-matters in Sultai, and have let populate bleed into Sultai colors, so this is exactly to my tastes.

Eat up finality counters to populate, then eat up tokens to proliferate!

I even made a Henry Wu card, and now there's finally a real, official one!
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

Post by Lifeless » 7 months ago

The dilophosaurus looks pretty dope.

heridfel

Post by heridfel » 7 months ago

Ojer Kaslem, Deepest Growth joins The Skullspore Nexus as two cards which interest me for my mono-green EDH deck. It is creature-heavy with an emphasis on commander damage as finisher, but I never regret having additional normal threats, especially ones which can provide card advantage. Until I can get Primeval Titan back, green Ojer looks pretty good.

Edit: And Contest of Claws has some potential as well. I like Ram Through and this is another "better than fight" removal option.
Last edited by heridfel 7 months ago, edited 1 time in total.

CommanderMaster999

only 2 REX cards to go (excluding the DFC island and swamp)

Mosasaurus: so this is basically a meld of Scourge of Fleets plus Wakening Sun's Avatar and its pretty good

Dilophosaurus: pretty flavorful with the -1/-1 being its spit plus prevents blockers so considerable

Savage orders: Dang its Natural Order for Dinosaurs and we can get dinosaur tokens to 4/4

Giganotosaurus: ah the main antagonist from the most recent movie and basically its a wrath for creatures and artifacts when monstrosity is used.

Henry Wu: ok thats the long await Exploit matters legend so bonus is sultai aristocrats so this will be a fun one for people who don't mind UB

overall for how its shaping up dang this is making it tough call but i might have to attempt Morophon, the Boundless or Rukarumel, Biologist Dinosaur tribal deck for interest and fun reasons

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 7 months ago

Serenade wrote:
7 months ago
my voltron deck will love this
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

duducrash
Still Learning

I'll eventually write down everything I intend to pick up here, and it should be a bunch because I have a casual fish deck. But for now I'll note

Squirming Emergence - This seems pretty ok in self mill heavy lists. I'll try it for sure

CommanderMaster999

ok the vampire deck has one of the best reprints i have ever seen in a precon in a long time

they reprinted Exquisite Blood in the deck

ofcoarse once again the dinosaurs take the cake of getting the most love with the new cards and reprints

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”