[mtgnexus] Random Card of the Day - North Star

Serenade
UnderKing
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Serenade » 7 months ago

I got a copy and gave to my mom because she likes unicorns.

I feel like I should get another one before they print a unicorn tribal general.
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

Dunadain
I like turtles
Answers: 2
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Dunadain » 7 months ago

Serenade wrote:
7 months ago
I got a copy and gave to my mom because she likes unicorns.

I feel like I should get another one before they print a unicorn tribal general.
Emiel the Blessed (though she works better if you ignore unicorn synergies).
All cards are bad if you try hard enough.

Important decks: Ebondeath, Dracolich, Zask, Phelddagriff
Other: Karrthus, Eris, Emiel, The Blessed, Ruhan, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Help me complete my JumpStart Cube!

Toshi
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Post by Toshi » 7 months ago

3drinks wrote:
7 months ago
Print unicorn tokens, you fools! :madhot:

Using Pearled Unicorn|5EDs for them is quite fun, though.

Serenade
UnderKing

HA, I forgot Emiel's second ability. I knew the first one worked with Blessed Sanctuary but forgot the other one!

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 7 months ago

Toshi wrote:
7 months ago
3drinks wrote:
7 months ago

Now, i wanna make the secondary market go nuts just by buying up as many as you can and then when you get asked "why" "No unicorn tokens"
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 7 months ago

Friday, October 27th, 2023; The God-Eternals

cries in Purphoros
Steel Sabotage'ng Orbs of Mellowness since 2011.

I collect Kaalia of the Vast normal-size cards. Do you have any extra taking up space in your binder? Help me grow my collection! :)

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

3drinks

Hermes_ wrote:
7 months ago
Toshi wrote:
7 months ago
3drinks wrote:
7 months ago

Now, i wanna make the secondary market go nuts just by buying up as many as you can and then when you get asked "why" "No unicorn tokens"
Why not? Y'know, Rudy over at Alpha Investments recently bought out all the Alpha copies of Drudge Skeletons.......

I collect Kaalia of the Vast normal-size cards. Do you have any extra taking up space in your binder? Help me grow my collection! :)

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

Dunadain
I like turtles
Answers: 2

Post by Dunadain » 7 months ago

3drinks wrote:
7 months ago
Friday, October 27th, 2023; The God-Eternals

cries in Purphoros
As someone that only understands the lore by reading cards and their flavor text, I missed this. Why doesn't Purphy get one of this cycle?
All cards are bad if you try hard enough.

Important decks: Ebondeath, Dracolich, Zask, Phelddagriff
Other: Karrthus, Eris, Emiel, The Blessed, Ruhan, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Help me complete my JumpStart Cube!

PrimevalCommander

Post by PrimevalCommander » 7 months ago

I'm playing Oketra as a commander and liking it very much. Lots of synergy for white with a token maker in the command zone. All of these are playable cards and I like their recursion design 100% more than just slapping indestructible on them. Solid legendary creatures 8/10.

Serenade
UnderKing

(Shouldn't it be cries in Hazoret?)

I use God-Eternal Bontu as Reprocess in monoB and Obosh, the Preypiercer. She works well enough.

Mookie
Answers: 48

Post by Mookie » 7 months ago

Dunadain wrote:
7 months ago
As someone that only understands the lore by reading cards and their flavor text, I missed this. Why doesn't Purphy get one of this cycle?
For reference, the red member of this cycle is Ilharg, the Raze-Boar. Hazoret the Fervent lived through the original Amonkhet block and didn't get zombified by Bolas, so didn't show up in WAR.

Anyway, I have mixed feelings about this cycle, entirely due to the fact that they can't be exiled. As a result, they're ridiculously hard to get rid of. That's more from a draft / sealed perspective though, since that's where I've played with them. In EDH, they're still a nuisance to get rid of... but three turns is a long time. I do think going back into the library is an interesting twist on the indestructible from the original cycle though, and a nice nod to the other Amonkhet gods.

As for the cards themselves.... Overall, I think Oketra and Ilharg are the most interesting. Kefnet can be a nice value engine, but I'm not a big fan of the gameplay. Rhonas and Bontu I find underwhelming.

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 7 months ago

I hate how resilient they are. Exile should still be an out.
I don't love any of them so I don't play them much. Oketra sometimes. Bontu for decks like Glissa the traitor that want to sac non-creatures.

Rhonas actually hits very hard.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

3drinks

Saturday, October 28th, 2023; Dress Down

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

3drinks

Serenade wrote:
7 months ago
(Shouldn't it be cries in Hazoret?)
Welp, there's now too many gods I can't even keep track. We all know that only the One True God is the one that matters though. #HailBolas

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 7 months ago

3drinks wrote:
7 months ago
Saturday, October 28th, 2023; Dress Down

This is a niche card, but it's insane at what it does. Shuts down triggered abilities, can wreck combat math if played right, and cantrips even if it isn't good in a certain situation.

I think its utility is adjacent to a fog; in some metas it might be useless, but in others it can be backbreaking. Solid card, I like it a lot.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

Post by Lifeless » 7 months ago

The fact that this cycles to keep it from being too dead feels really nice. I forgot this extisted and I'm tempted to pick up a couple copies right now.

Mookie
Answers: 48

Post by Mookie » 7 months ago

Dress Down has a reasonable floor and a high ceiling. Counterspell and Reality Shift are usually going to be a cleaner answer to creature-based problems... but on the flip side, Dress Down can also stop all sorts of triggered / static abilities that can't otherwise be dealt with. Mentally, I have it in the same bucket as stuff like Mirage Mirror, Narset's Reversal, and clones - they're flexible and will often overperform... but they're also highly contextual and hard to evaluate. As a result, they often end up cut in favor of cards with more obvious use cases.

I'm currently testing Dress Down in my Thada deck, but I don't really have a firm opinion of it yet. I've seen it be backbreaking in other formats against Urza's Saga, but the use case in EDH isn't quite as straightforward. Still, it can always be cycled - 'Stifle an ETB trigger + draw a card' seems like a nice floor.

Serenade
UnderKing

Removing evasion is great. I love making creatures lose all abilities.

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 7 months ago

I don't get why this isn't an instant.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Wayta - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Eris - Magda - Ghired2 - Xander - Me - Slogurk - Gilraen - Shelob2 - Kellan1 - Leori - Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Treamayne

Post by Treamayne » 7 months ago

DirkGently wrote:
7 months ago
I don't get why this isn't an instant.
Likely because as an instant, it would only affect things on the battlefield as it resolves, instead of preventing a flicker effect from undoing the humility effect. . .
V/R

Treamayne

onering
Answers: 1

Post by onering » 7 months ago

Very good card. Unlike a lot of similar spells with niche uses, it has almost cycling so if you don't need it then you can just pay 1U end of turn to essentially cycle it.

materpillar
the caterpillar

Post by materpillar » 7 months ago

Any card that blows out Thassa's Oracle and Craterhoof Behemoth gets two thumbs up in my book.

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 7 months ago

Treamayne wrote:
7 months ago

Likely because as an instant, it would only affect things on the battlefield as it resolves, instead of preventing a flicker effect from undoing the humility effect. . .
"Until end of turn, creatures lose all abilities and can't gain abilities."

Idk exactly what would be needed but if Kardur, Doomscourge's trigger can effect creatures that enter afterwards then I'm pretty sure it's possible.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Wayta - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Eris - Magda - Ghired2 - Xander - Me - Slogurk - Gilraen - Shelob2 - Kellan1 - Leori - Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Serenade
UnderKing

Maybe it was to feed Delirium in MH2.

Wallycaine

Post by Wallycaine » 7 months ago

DirkGently wrote:
7 months ago
Treamayne wrote:
7 months ago

"Until end of turn, creatures lose all abilities and can't gain abilities."

Idk exactly what would be needed but if Kardur, Doomscourge's trigger can effect creatures that enter afterwards then I'm pretty sure it's possible.
Unfortunately, Kardur's ability works because it sets up an attack requirement on the *opponents*, not the creatures themselves. Setting up a similar restriction for removing abilities would be difficult, if not impossible, and likely require rewriting of the rules to allow it. Where making it an enchantment works perfectly fine within the rules already, even if it's a little weird.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”