Which do you like more?

bobthefunny
Resident Plainswalker
Pronoun: he / him

Post by bobthefunny » 4 years ago

I'm going to go with Flood of Tears here. Show is obviously more powerful, but unless you're doing shenanigans in CEDH, or playing some absurd grouphug... I feel that Flood of Tears could be more broadly applicable in battle-cruiser EDH - letting you clear a tricky boardstate while still progressing something out, or even helping cheat out something big at the cost of a few mana rocks or something.

Plus, I like finding new non-cyclonic rift board wipes.

Let's see how a new version of a character compares to their old glory!

vs

maeos

Post by maeos » 4 years ago

Chainer, dementia master, combolific even if he doesn't get . Although for newer players, nightmare adept might be easier to lead them into reanimator.

battle of the flash hatebears

VS.

JovialJovian
Captain, I object!

Post by JovialJovian » 4 years ago

I feel like Hushwing Gryff is underplayed, at least in my local meta. There are just so many etbs. That said, I choose Mindcensor. The ability to turn off the ubiquitous tutors and ramp is just so powerful.

vs

Sinis
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Sinis » 4 years ago

As much as I like Shieldbreaker, I'm going to have to go with Ingot Chewer. I like Shieldbreaker's tribe, I like that you can pooch a turn 1 sol ring and still get to follow up with the 2/1 on a later turn, and I don't believe the difference in bodies is especially appreciable, BUT.... It is far easier to abuse Ingot Chewer in terms of reanimation, etc. Shieldbreaker essentially has to find its way into your hand, whereas Ingot Chewer can find its way to your hand or the battlefield.

- OR -

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 4 years ago

While appearing similar on the surface, these two have vastly different functions. I like Whisper more for repeatable reanimator shenanigans.

VS.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 5/26/24 (Modern Horizons III)

JovialJovian
Captain, I object!

Post by JovialJovian » 4 years ago

These two are usually quite low ramp picks for me, I guess I'm just enamored with the cards that grab more than one land at a time. I think rampant growth is better. Getting the land untapped is nice, but only occasionally matters, since you're spending that turn 3 to get it. Entering tapped is ostensibly a drawback, but really, you're going to want the mana for the following turn, not the current one.

vs

Mookie
Answers: 48

Post by Mookie » 4 years ago

Barren Glory, for the style points. If you're going to jump through a bunch of hoops for an alternate win condition, you might as well go for maximum jank. Also doesn't need a five color deck, which opens up a lot more options.

On a semi-related note....
vs.

Gashnaw

Post by Gashnaw » 4 years ago

kaervek's spite could be the defining characteristic that wins you the game. There are only a few cards that benefit you form having no hand, thus one with nothing would be a niche card.

or

lyonhaert
Answers: 4
Pronoun: they / them

Post by lyonhaert » 4 years ago

I'll gladly run Pathbreaker Ibex instead of Hoof.

vs
Chainer bbb
"Image"
(rebuild after Geth)
Other
r Lathliss
bw Breena
To-Build Pool
rb Obosh Burn
gw Dromoka

Mookie

Null Brooch. Cheaper activation cost, and significantly more unique - there are a lot of other colorless options for card draw, but significantly fewer for countermagic.

Time for a 4-way battle royale!
vs.
vs.
vs.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Totally deck dependent, but I'll say Trinket because it's the OG and it fetches Sol Ring. Side note, I'm still waiting for the 4 and 5 CMC parts of this cycle to be completed, but I'm afraid there aren't any more 'tr-' words left. Trebuchet Mage? Triceratops Mage? Tribunal Mage? Trigonometry Mage?

VS.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 5/26/24 (Modern Horizons III)

Sinis

RxPhantom wrote:
4 years ago
Trigonometry Mage?
I'm personally holding out for Tchotchke Mage.

Krosan Grip. By a country mile. You know, for a long while, I didn't run K-grip because my group's power level sank really, really low. We had eschewed our really busted enchantments and artifacts, and it kind of didn't seem necessary anymore. We started using more wipe-y removal, or removal with tiny upsides. Well, cards like Greater Good have crept back in, and Krosan Grip is once again necessary.

-----

I don't think this is a slam dunk; I'm curious to hear what others have to say.

- OR -

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 4 years ago

Hallowed Moonlight - Containment Priest can be far more powerful and with some commanders who have synergy with it say Roon of the Hidden Realm I do think that the containment Priest is stronger. What I like about moonlight though is that it doesn't commit you as much all in on grave hate. It still cantrips if its not what you need and while Containment Priest can be stronger hate, its also fragile so I have a hard time thinking it will stick around long assuming its actually the effect you need. Its sort of like the difference between running Relic of Progenitus and Rest in Peace in my mind. RIP would be stronger but its also a lot more focused and has drawbacks if its not what you need. Ohhhh, also moonlight works vs tokens which is HILARIOUS.

vs
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

Sinis

Ooh, that's a tough one. I'm going to go with Dead of Winter because I absolutely loathe Gaddock Teeg.

- OR -

Rorseph
Compleat Fool
Pronoun: they / them

Post by Rorseph » 4 years ago

I'm going with Demon of Dark Schemes because I prefer the stapled on Reanimation bit. Speaking of:

OR
"From void evolved Phyrexia. Great Yawgmoth, Father of Machines, saw its perfection. Thus The Grand Evolution began."
—Phyrexian Scriptures

Aurelia | Maelstrom Wanderer | Primer: Thassa | Uro | Primer: Volrath

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Phyrexian Delver - the difference in casting costs is just too high. There are still a few decks where Artisan is cool like Rakdos, Lord of Riots but in general I prefer the lower cost even at the cost of my HP.

vs
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 4 years ago

Delver, because it's an ETB trigger so much more abusable and triggers from being reanimated itself. Also cheaper to cast with some life loss trumps a high CMC. Ninja'd! Good to see great minds think alike though.

In a lesser of two evils scenario, Augustin is able to be played around more. Teeg sucks, it's absolutely no fun for anyone. Augustin is still fun police but doesn't shut things down quite as badly.

vs
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Victimize - Dread Return when actually cast isn't very good so its mostly based on milling / filtering the card in a deck that can get the sac three. Dread Return is a solid high end combo enabler but as a card in your average commander deck I find Victimize to be a lot more reasonable as a card. Dread Return is a stronger cEDH card but I think Victimize is better until you are pushing to be super fast combo.

vs

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

They're very different, but I'll go with Aura of Silence. That tax is no joke, and the sac ability can be used in response to non-split second removal.

VS.

Morganelefay

Post by Morganelefay » 4 years ago

Ima go with Forsake the Worldly. Exile and the Cycling option nudge it just ahead, tho I can't recall the last time I played either anyway.

vs
EDH Decks:

Hogaak, Arisen Necropolis - Arise, Lord Hogaak.
Grumgully, the Generous - The wonderful world of Ferngully.
Prime Speaker Zegana - Draw Cards Tribal.
Pir, Imaginative Rascal & Toothy, Imaginary Friend - Imaginary Superfriends.
Selvala, Explorer Returned - Taxes, Denial and Fatties.
Selvala, Heart of the Wilds - Dinos and Eldrazis, oh my.
Ayara, First of Locthwain - March of the Black Queen.
Chandra, Fire of Kaladesh - Chandra Tribal.
Golos, Tireless Pilgrim - Curious Contraptions

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 4 years ago

Generally unraveller isn't well thought of in the format, although I think he has a place in control lists. The artwork for Tamiyo makes me say she's my pick, she's a pretty cool walker, and that ultimate is straight up bonkers. But then, so is Jace's. This is actually a tough pick, well chosen. My pet pick is Tamiyo, but I feel like Jace is more damaging to ultimate, and more useful in his tick up ability.

vs
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

Sinis

Jace TMS, no contest. The abilities just far out strip a vulnerable Phyrexian Arena. The only time I've ever ulted JTMS was with a Rowan Kenrith emblem and mindwiped two people at once. It was glorious. Anyway, I like them both, but JTMS' power in my experience, even in Commander games, is pretty bonkers. All the modes are pretty useful, even if they're not the strangling pain in 60x4 formats.

- OR -

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 4 years ago

Cursed huntsman seems more useful to me, but I've never ran of Garruks,since I don't do green.

Image orImage
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

Mookie

Power Sink. Tapping someone out is a pretty unique effect, and very difficult to play around. I think that with Condescend, you're often going to fire it off earlier than you ought to to get the Scry value, which makes it weaker as a counterspell.

vs.

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 4 years ago

I don't know that getting misplayed makes the card itself worse...

Anyway, if you're playing unburial rites you might be doing something degenerate, but if you're playing dread return you definitely are (ok not really definitely, but probably). So I'd give the nod to dread return in terms of power.

Possibly this has already been done, but if not, land recursion fight!

Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”