Yeva - play creatures, draw cards

bobthefunny
Resident Plainswalker
Pronoun: he / him

Post by bobthefunny » 3 years ago

This deck was haphazardly thrown together, and still needs some tweaks. I've been wanting to make a new mono green deck for a while, so while digging for cards for a different deck I decided to take the opportunity to just start setting cards aside to make a more straightforward casual-ish deck.

I started pulling out creature based ramp effects, draw effects on casting creatures, and large overcosted threats.
Decklist

Commander

Approximate Total Cost:

Last edited by bobthefunny 3 years ago, edited 2 times in total.

Dragonlover

Post by Dragonlover » 3 years ago

Just thinking about stuff from my Molimo deck, could consider Moldgraf Monstrosity and Return of the Wildspeaker. Also Vivien, Champion of the Wilds is a backup source of flash and will have a pretty decent hit rate on the draw ability.

Dragonlover
All my decks are here

bobthefunny
Resident Plainswalker

Post by bobthefunny » 3 years ago

Good suggestions on all 3 of those. I think I even passed a Return of the Wildspeaker in my cards and pulled it for another deck. Maybe I'll need to circle over to it from that one. Vivian has also been really nice in my Vorosh deck, definitely a good add.

I'm also looking to these cards from Ikoria:

OCPunisher

Post by OCPunisher » 3 years ago

I've had my Yeva list since she was first spoiled way back in 2013. Seedborn Muse is especially good here, since you can usually run out the Muse and then untap into Yeva. I've had a lot of fun recently with Wirewood Symbiote and Cloudstone Curio. I'll post a more in-depth review later.
A deck for every color: Rakdos | Lord | Heliod | Yeva | Tetsuko | Scarab | Kykar | Kozz | Athreos | Haldan/Pako

JoeyB11223

Post by JoeyB11223 » 3 years ago

Obviously in a deck like this unless you're gunning for whatever the absolute most competitive version you could create is, there are so many options at each cmc that in some ways I just end up picking pet cards etc.

But that said just two recent suggestions that come to mind immediately

Nylea, Keen-Eyed, Cost reduction and not the best rate but a built in draw effect should you need it in a pinch. Also will likely be online quite a bit since a lot of your creatures are double G, so just need Yeva and one out.

Beast Whisperer no love for this guy? I know you said you pulled out of on creature cast card draw, but tbh in that case I'd probably run it over Primordial Sage if you don't want both just to lower the average cmc. I feel Glademuse has too much potential to benefit any sort of control/spell slinging deck, I've grown very weary of cards that give opponents the benefit too even if you assume you'll pull out ahead.

weltkrieg

Post by weltkrieg » 3 years ago

How are you wanting to play this?

I play my Yeva as a creature/enchantress control deck, for example. I loaded up on lower cmc ramp and went more for the 2/4 ramp instead of the 1/3 ramp. I actually cut cultivate/kodama's reach/nissa's pilgrimage as they were just too slow. Note that I don't run any creatures that tap for mana except karametra's acolyte because it usually taps for a LOT of mana. Seedborne muse is probably the most broken card in my deck. When I tutor for a creature, this is usually it followed by temur sabertooth, the other broken engine piece.

Are you just aiming for a goodstuff deck? Right now your deck is all over the place and I am not sure what advice to give you.

In general, cost reduction is going to be huge if you go for a temur sabertooth engine (when I see all of those etb guys, this is what I would think). If you spiral out as much as mine does, then one of the best cards in it is elvish pioneer/arboreal grazer. Putting the extra lands that you draw into play really helps out.

If you're looking to make just a timmy smash deck, then yeva really only acts as a haste outlet. Surrak the hunt caller might be a better commander then.

Otherwise, one or two mana doublers won't hurt. You can take your pick of the usual suspects.

Wave of vitriol is a mean card and I like it, do you really want all of those non basics with it? I only run maze of ith, blighted woodland, and nykthos, shrine to nyx. Everything else is a basic forest.

What's with the the few enrage creatures? Looking at the list, it seems hard to trigger them reliably (exception: apex altisaur).

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 3 years ago

I see some of the usual suspects have chimed in here :)

I run Nissa instead of Yeva, but there's a teensy bit of overlap, and I've had my list together for quite a while now. There's a few bits and pieces I can potentially recommend.

As @OCPunisher mentioned, Cloudstone Curio can potentially just be disgustingly good here. You seem to have a lot of ETB triggers to play out, so it's a strong card, as is Wirewood Symbiote, and as @weltkrieg mentioned, Temur Sabertooth. If you want to go further down that road you could look at Panharmonicon too. It's...uh, pretty devastating.

I'm also going to second Beast Whisperer. You really don't care that Primordial Sage is bigger, you really just want the draw triggers sooner, and BW does that, no muss no fuss. Besides, you also have Soul of the Harvest which triggers off of tokens - Sage doesn't. edit - my bad!

Some of the more value-laden fatties in my Nissa build are Woodland Bellower and Pathbreaker Ibex. The first gets you whatever you like - ramp, draw, extra lands, a manland if you run it. It's just really great value. One of my favourite things to do is fetch Fierce Empath to set myself up with a board state answer, like Thorn Mammoth or Pathbreaker Ibex. The second, well, Ibex is a finisher. I have a bit of finagling around making it work, but your guys have flash, so you've got an army in a can whenever you like. Seems like a good deal to me!

Can I also suggest Seasons Past in place of Greenwarden of Murasa? Self-exiling means you get one shot at extra value, whereas SP beats that for value any time you cast it, and you could well see it again, whereas you can be absolutely certain you won't with Greenwarden.

I'll also second the land thought that @weltkrieg mentioned. I also really love Wave of Vitriol. Too many people sleep on that card, it's just damn excellent. But you probably need a few more basics to make its symmetry favour you. There's a few lands in your list that probably aren't desperately needed - Okina, Oran-Rief, Cabin, Temple of the False God, and such. You'd be better off with basics, knowing that you can cast Vitriol and be the only one who's colour and utility fixing isn't wrecked.
Last edited by toctheyounger 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

weltkrieg

Post by weltkrieg » 3 years ago

I agree with most of what toctheyounger has said. However, I would caution that soul of the harvest specifies non token as well. Garruk's packleader and elemental bond would trigger off of tokens, however.

Also, eternal witness seems a glaring omission in a deck like this, though I do see several other forms of graveyard recursion.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”