Rashmi - Wurm Tribal

bobthefunny
Resident Plainswalker
Pronoun: he / him

Post by bobthefunny » 3 years ago

I have a Jori-En, Ruin Diver deck that's all about playing fatties, cloning them, and turning them sideways. Then Rashmi, Eternities Crafter was released, and made me sad, because she was just like Jori-En, but better, and in better Fatty and Cloning colors.

Then, I realized how I could fix this problem. If I make the general better, then I simply need to make the creatures worse!

Decklist
Approximate Total Cost:

Last edited by bobthefunny 3 years ago, edited 7 times in total.

Ulka

Post by Ulka » 3 years ago

Yay another Wurm tribal deck!

Here is the link to my thread in case you need ideas to pick from. But my main idea was making Wurm tokens and then populating them so it differs a bit but a few cards I feel you may want to consider:

Mosswort Bridge: Hiding away a Wurm to then playing the Wurm on someone else's turn could be good here.

sifter wurm: the scry seems like a solid way to setup future Rashmi triggers while also possibly giving a very solid chunk of life to you.

growth spiral: seems like it could replace urban evolution. Yea you lose some of the raw draw power but the lower cmc should help you beable to late game just get it for free of Rashmi.

Mystic Confluence: I see you arent running any counterspells which makes sense but have you considered confluence as it has other modes in case you hit it on rashmi.
Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

Mookie
Answers: 47
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Mookie » 3 years ago

This deck amuses me. Not the highest quality fatties, but still looks entertaining. I'll give a shout to Nemesis Mask for the Engulfing Slagwurm wombo combo. Grappling Hook is another option (which also happens to work well with large, trampling creatures).

Wurmcalling isn't particularly good, but I'll still mention it.

I don't see a ton of search effects for Panglacial Wurm - you may want to consider Ash Barrens or Evolving Wilds.

Brainstorm to set up Rashmi triggers is also work mentioning. Rashmi works well with cheap instants in general, since she makes them all draw an extra card.

RowanKeltizar
Firemind

Post by RowanKeltizar » 3 years ago

"He who controls the spice controls the universe."

This is awesome! I love wurms, and I'm not sure why building wurm tribal never occurred to me.

I feel like adding one more color would be something to consider. White, Black, or Red would give you access to a lot of additional power. For example Massacre Wurm is one of my favorite wurms. Black has great removal, tutors, and card draw. White gives you some good removal and tutors but also Novablast Wurm. Red gives you Sneak Attack. Just something to think about.

Other commanders you might consider:

Riku of Two Reflections - if you like making tokens and copying spells, he's pretty good!

Animar, Soul of Elements - over time, your wurms will become very cheap.

Chulane, Teller of Tales - great ramp and creature support

Volrath, the Shapestealer - copying your wurms abilities might have some potential
WRBKaalia, Zenith Seeker - Certified Air Raid Material
WBElenda, the Dusk Rose - Drain and Gain
WRAurelia, the Warleader - Tokens/Equipment
URNiv-Mizzet, Parun - Controlled Burn primer
BRGHenzie, "Toolbox" Torre - Creature Feature
BRGSoul of Windgrace - Lands Matter
RGWGishath, Sun's Avatar - I'M YOUR DADDY
GWUBAtraxa, Praetors' Voice - Artifact Stax Beatdown
Budget Starter Decks
UBSygg, River Cutthroat
WU Shorikai, Genesis Engine

benjameenbear

Post by benjameenbear » 3 years ago

Excellent reference @RowanKeltizar.

I too will second the addition of Black or White. With such awesome power, it's likely that people will try to destroy your Wurms and both colors offer decent recursion options. Chulane seems particularly good as a source of Card Advantage in the Command Zone.

bobthefunny
Resident Plainswalker

Post by bobthefunny » 3 years ago

For those that are curious how the deck plays out, this was the first ever game with it:

The second game I played on Cockatrice with Discord for voice, and it went in a similar fashion:
bobthefunny wrote:
3 years ago
The first game was between Dragonlover, Sinis, Maluko, and myself. Maluko had a strong start with some explosive dragons, as an early Wasitora, Nekoro Queen gave some problems for most people. Dragonlover was rocking a white legends tribal deck which flips over cards until a random commander is found, which this time was Kongming, the sleeping dragon. He mostly bided his time building up a decent board, protected by Jazal and Danitha who first stiked, which kept my Wurms at bay. Speaking of Wurms, I got to play my second real game with my Rashmi Wurm tribal deck, in which I got to cast the most expensive harmonize yet... it was a Crush of Wurms... backed up by Kindred Discovery... There may have been a few upsides to this 'harmonize.' Sinis terrorized some people with some good Garruk synergy, but despite having two Garruks that could pretty much kill anything, was actually not in the best board position. In the end, a Bellowing Tanglewurm did a lot to help the Wurms break through, and the Wurms deck ended up victorious.

During that game, materpillar and rogerandover jumped in to spectate, and also joined us for the fun on the discord channel we had set up for voice.

"Image"
Ulka wrote:
3 years ago
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Yay another Wurm tribal deck!

Here is the link to my thread in case you need ideas to pick from. But my main idea was making Wurm tokens and then populating them so it differs a bit but a few cards I feel you may want to consider:

Mosswort Bridge: Hiding away a Wurm to then playing the Wurm on someone else's turn could be good here.

sifter wurm: the scry seems like a solid way to setup future Rashmi triggers while also possibly giving a very solid chunk of life to you.

growth spiral: seems like it could replace urban evolution. Yea you lose some of the raw draw power but the lower cmc should help you beable to late game just get it for free of Rashmi.

Mystic Confluence: I see you arent running any counterspells which makes sense but have you considered confluence as it has other modes in case you hit it on rashmi.
I'll be honest, the deck was thrown together with cards I found while looking for other cards. There are a few planned upgrades, and I may tweak a little bit - but the deck also ran far better than I expected (though a large part was due to Kindred Discovery being far more insane than I realized). Two cards that are 100% locked in place though are Craw Wurm and Scaled Wurm.

I actually had Growth Spiral set aside first, and upgraded it to Urban Evolution on fears of lack of card draw. I'll play the deck a bit more, and see which is the one I want more. After the two games I did play, I'm leaning towards Growth Spiral now.

From your list, I think I may need to look into finding my Belbe's Portal, and maybe even Soul Foundry ...

Mosswort Bridge Is a good call. I'll need to see if I can find another in my unsorted stacks. The lands are probably what I spent the least amount of time on.
Mookie wrote:
3 years ago
SPOILER
Show
Hide
This deck amuses me. Not the highest quality fatties, but still looks entertaining. I'll give a shout to Nemesis Mask for the Engulfing Slagwurm wombo combo. Grappling Hook is another option (which also happens to work well with large, trampling creatures).

Wurmcalling isn't particularly good, but I'll still mention it.

I don't see a ton of search effects for Panglacial Wurm - you may want to consider Ash Barrens or Evolving Wilds.

Brainstorm to set up Rashmi triggers is also work mentioning. Rashmi works well with cheap instants in general, since she makes them all draw an extra card.
Wurmcalling is absolutely slated to come in. That's one of the cards I was actually actively looking for, but didn't find. I think it's in the ruined shell of a past deck. In the meantime, I'm borrowing one from my brother until I find mine, so that swap will be made soon.

I keep forgetting Panglacial is in the deck, and most often so far it's been off the top or from the hand. 9/5 trampler still puts the heat on though. That said, there's a good bit of ramp spells that search up lands, though adding 2-4 mana to the Panglacial may not be optimal. I'll have to consider some of the cheaper lands.
RowanKeltizar wrote:
3 years ago
"He who controls the spice controls the universe."
SPOILER
Show
Hide
This is awesome! I love wurms, and I'm not sure why building wurm tribal never occurred to me.

I feel like adding one more color would be something to consider. White, Black, or Red would give you access to a lot of additional power. For example Massacre Wurm is one of my favorite wurms. Black has great removal, tutors, and card draw. White gives you some good removal and tutors but also Novablast Wurm. Red gives you Sneak Attack. Just something to think about.

Other commanders you might consider:

Riku of Two Reflections - if you like making tokens and copying spells, he's pretty good!

Animar, Soul of Elements - over time, your wurms will become very cheap.

Chulane, Teller of Tales - great ramp and creature support

Volrath, the Shapestealer - copying your wurms abilities might have some potential
benjameenbear wrote:
3 years ago
Excellent reference RowanKeltizar.

I too will second the addition of Black or White. With such awesome power, it's likely that people will try to destroy your Wurms and both colors offer decent recursion options. Chulane seems particularly good as a source of Card Advantage in the Command Zone.[/spoiler]
So, Rashmi was selected as the host for this theme as a way to equalize with my Jori-En deck (I think I failed on that). Since the Commander was getting 'better,' the creatures would need to get worse.

I did notice a lot of Wurms in other colors that I was sad to not run. Novablast Wurm being one of them as well. Chulane could fit the idea of the deck... but I just really dislike his design in general on how generically good he is. If I were to rebuild the deck in the future - Riku might be a thought actually. I've fiddled with Riku decks in the past, and I definitely like the challenge of finding a way to build him in a more 'fun' direction.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”