Budget Historic Jhoira Combo

bobthefunny
Resident Plainswalker
Pronoun: he / him

Post by bobthefunny » 3 years ago

Budget Jhoira Combo
Approximate Total Cost:

Last edited by bobthefunny 3 years ago, edited 2 times in total.

MeowZeDung
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by MeowZeDung » 3 years ago

Jhoira is sweet. The only "problem", depending on your perspective, is she inevitably turns into a cheerios/Rebuild storm deck and wins with long solitaire turns. I had a blast with her when I played her though.

The only budget thing I didn't see here which surprised me was Herald of Kozilek. The cost reducers are great in Jhoira because you start turning your 1 and 2 cmc artifacts into cheerio cantrips and Riddlesmith/Quicksmith Genius or Reckless Fireweaver basically become win buttons.
Kykar primer and other active decks (click!)

bobthefunny
Resident Plainswalker
Pronoun: he / him

Post by bobthefunny » 3 years ago

MeowZeDung wrote:
3 years ago
Jhoira is sweet. The only "problem", depending on your perspective, is she inevitably turns into a cheerios/Rebuild storm deck and wins with long solitaire turns. I had a blast with her when I played her though.

The only budget thing I didn't see here which surprised me was Herald of Kozilek. The cost reducers are great in Jhoira because you start turning your 1 and 2 cmc artifacts into cheerio cantrips and Riddlesmith/Quicksmith Genius or Reckless Fireweaver basically become win buttons.
Yeah, that combo focus is a major problem. I'm obviously leaning into it with this thought experiment, but I'm not sure it's what I'm going to be happiest with, nor that it's the way I want to introduce players into EDH. My playgroup is generally non-combo, though one player recently built Jhoira/Rebuild/Aetherflux reservoir, so I wanted to see how easily I could replicate the feat on a budget.

Thanks for the Herald of Kozilek mention! I had entirely missed that one on my searches. Some of the cost reducers are obviously way too expensive for this build, but the more the merrier on these. Even Helm of Awakening is pushing some of the budget limitations, though I'm obviously stretching a lot more for Sai, Master Thopterist, but his token production works wonders with Quicksmith Genius and Reckless Fireweaver. While there are cheaper token producers I could add, I like that his thopters fly, and that he has a built in card draw. Anyways, I'll definitely have to find a slot for Herald.

Right now my main issue when goldfishing is a rough early game; and running into dead draws. I can only drop so many lands, and Jhoira only draws one card per artifact. If I don't run into bounce spells to reset, things get a little rocky. Sadly, Vedalken Archmage, Spark Double, and Sakashima the Impostor are too expensive for the purpose of doubling up Jhoira (esp Saka, as he's historic).

I'm thinking I may need to include some general refill card draw options, like Recurring Insight, in order smooth out and refill prior to going all out. I think the construct package can also help, as Scrapyard Recombiner and Trophy Mage can find Scrap Trawler, when cranks the baubles and cantrips into overdrive. The recombiner also helps get artifacts to hand, to keep the chain going.

Coveted Jewel might also help as both a mana rock and some card draw to get things moving. There's more risk since I have active blink effects in the deck, but between the bounce, or the tokens, it might be worthwhile. Plus, once I get going it's a prime target for Clock of Omens untaps.

===

I'm tempted to take the token shell into a different artifact spam style of Izzet deck, without the cheerios combo. Maybe go with Brudiclad for a cheap token spam aggro deck.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”