[mtgnexus] Random Card of the Day - Rishkar, Peema Renegade

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison
Pronoun: he / him

Post by 3drinks » 4 months ago

Sunday, January 28th, 2024; Pact of the Serpent

Steel Sabotage'ng Orbs of Mellowness since 2011.

I collect Kaalia of the Vast normal-size cards. Do you have any extra taking up space in your binder? Help me grow my collection! :)

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

Dunadain
I like turtles
Answers: 2
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Dunadain » 4 months ago

Never seen this before, but it looks fine? I suspect, if your willing to tie your card draw to your board presence, their are cards with higher ceilings, and if you, like me, want your card draw to work even after a board wipe, then you don't consider it in the first place.
All cards are bad if you try hard enough.

Important decks: Ebondeath, Dracolich, Zask, Phelddagriff
Other: Karrthus, Eris, Emiel, The Blessed, Ruhan, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Help me complete my JumpStart Cube!

3drinks

Dunadain wrote:
4 months ago
Never seen this before, but it looks fine? I suspect, if your willing to tie your card draw to your board presence, their are cards with higher ceilings, and if you, like me, want your card draw to work even after a board wipe, then you don't consider it in the first place.
It's also targeted. I've definitely pointed this at an elf deck before the turn before they ball out.

I collect Kaalia of the Vast normal-size cards. Do you have any extra taking up space in your binder? Help me grow my collection! :)

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

onering
Answers: 1

Post by onering » 4 months ago

It's worked very well for me. In the right decks it's easily draw 4-6 for 3. Lots of Bx tribal decks go wide and are fairly resilient.

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 4 months ago

When I just saw the name I thought the card was Rhonas's Last Stand, and was excited to say it's one of the worst commander cards I can imagine.

I guess this card is fine…
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Wayta - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Eris - Magda - Ghired2 - Xander - Me - Slogurk - Gilraen - Shelob2 - Kellan1 - Leori - Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Igzex

Post by Igzex » 4 months ago

A solid Night's Whisper upgrade in tribal strategies, or if you run into someone who's even more nostalgic for the Onslaught days than I am and actually tries good 'ol Shepherd of Rot antics you can just target them with this card and say "You first..."

yeti1069

Post by yeti1069 » 4 months ago

I think the green/x signets are basically pointless--you could run land ramp for that cost and have it be stickier. Otherwise, yeah, I run the signets in most decks that also get one or more talismans, and in Sefris, I prefer the signets, actually, since I need 3 colors by turn 3, and a signet makes that more doable.

Still, I generally prefer talismans.

yeti1069

Igzex wrote:
4 months ago
A solid Night's Whisper upgrade in tribal strategies, or if you run into someone who's even more nostalgic for the Onslaught days than I am and actually tries good 'ol Shepherd of Rot antics you can just target them with this card and say "You first..."
I run Shepherd in my Varina deck, and started playing Magic in between Onslaught and Legions, so...

Yet, I haven't run this card anywhere, because...
Dunadain wrote:
4 months ago
I largely agree with this sentiment. That said, I have been running Mass Appeal in Eowyn, which is the same card with less downside and less flexibility, and it has only been a dead/underwhelming card once so far.

3drinks

Monday, January 29th, 2024; Pemmin's Aura

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

Dunadain
I like turtles
Answers: 2

Post by Dunadain » 4 months ago

Fun fact: Morphling had the nickname of "superman" because it was so ridiculously powerful in the early days of magic. Pemmin's Aura grants the enchanted creature all of morphling's abilities, and the letters in the name can be rearranged to spell "I am superman."

mtg trivia aside, I've never seen this used to do anything besides generate infinite mana by enchanting a mana dork that produces 2+ mana on tap, which is cringe.
All cards are bad if you try hard enough.

Important decks: Ebondeath, Dracolich, Zask, Phelddagriff
Other: Karrthus, Eris, Emiel, The Blessed, Ruhan, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Help me complete my JumpStart Cube!

yeti1069

This is near and dear to my heart. I came across the combo with Wirewood Channeler early in my experience with Magic, and when I built a deck around it, I was the first in my playgroup to run an infinite combo. Blew their minds, and they had been playing Magic for years longer than I had been at that point. I've come a long way since then, and am no longer all that interested in leaning on infinites to close out games.

I have played this "fairly" on occasion in decks that lean on tap abilities--in particular, one of my few attempts at Tiny Leaders was running Merieke Ri Berit, and Pemmin's Aura functioned as machine removal with the commander. I've also slapped this on Arcanis the Omnipotent to have Ancestral Recall on a repeatable stick.

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

Post by Lifeless » 4 months ago

Another "up to no good" card. Nobody outside of draft is playing this fairly.

3drinks

Dunadain wrote:
4 months ago
mtg trivia aside, I've never seen this used to do anything besides generate infinite mana by enchanting a mana dork that produces 2+ mana on tap, which is cringe.
Lifeless wrote:
4 months ago
Idk guys. We used to put this on our Geist of Saint Traft (along with Steel of the Godhead) as our finisher to get the thing into the red zone. Seems pretty fair use to me, honestly.

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

DirkGently

3drinks wrote:
4 months ago
Dunadain wrote:
4 months ago
Lifeless wrote:
4 months ago
Idk guys. We used to put this on our Geist of Saint Traft (along with Steel of the Godhead) as our finisher to get the thing into the red zone. Seems pretty fair use to me, honestly.
……..why? He already has hexproof so the shroud is irrelevant…he's a terrible blocker so untapping is basically irrelevant…he only has 2/2 stats so the + and - is mostly irrelevant (I guess up to +3 power with godhead but that's expensive and conditional)…are you using this just to give the guy Flight??? There are so many better cards for that…

Spectral Flight is a jank common in the same set and does almost the same thing except it costs 2 upfront and nothing to attack, instead of 3 and 4…
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Eris - Magda - Ghired2 - Xander - Me - Slogurk - Gilraen - Shelob2 - Kellan1 - Leori - Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

materpillar
the caterpillar

Post by materpillar » 4 months ago

I once saw this on a Leviathan that was wielding a viridian claw and Loxodon Warhammer in a chaos draft. Nothing is ever going to top that use of this card in a game of magic ever.

Friends don't let friends cast this card in EDH. It's just an infinite mana outlet.

3drinks

Tuesday, January 30th, 2024; Kaalia of the Vast

Well then. Let's see what people think of the girl in 2024.

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

3drinks

DirkGently wrote:
4 months ago
……..why? He already has hexproof so the shroud is irrelevant…he's a terrible blocker so untapping is basically irrelevant…he only has 2/2 stats so the + and - is mostly irrelevant (I guess up to +3 power with godhead but that's expensive and conditional)…are you using this just to give the guy Flight??? There are so many better cards for that…

Spectral Flight is a jank common in the same set and does almost the same thing except it costs 2 upfront and nothing to attack, instead of 3 and 4…
Sure but you only get one spectral flight. However the pump is relevant as it turns the thing into a 7 turn clock from an 11 turn clock. This was before the days of powercreep, ISD block was still fresh and RTR had not been spoiled yet. Angelic Destiny was the big get back then.
materpillar wrote:
4 months ago
I once saw this on a Leviathan that was wielding a viridian claw and Loxodon Warhammer in a chaos draft. Nothing is ever going to top that use of this card in a game of magic ever.
This is a mood.

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

duducrash
Still Learning

Post by duducrash » 4 months ago

For all I know Kaalia of the Vast is as strong today as ever, but I havent let anyone untap with her since before the pandemic so I might be wrong, wont let her live so they can prove me wrong though

Sinis

Post by Sinis » 4 months ago

duducrash wrote:
4 months ago
For all I know Kaalia of the Vast is as strong today as ever, but I havent let anyone untap with her since before the pandemic so I might be wrong, wont let her live so they can prove me wrong though
This is my sentiment exactly. One attack step is about three too many.

FoxHybrid
Guardian

Post by FoxHybrid » 4 months ago

I've never sat down across from one before, but if I did, I would definitely be wary of it, because mana cheating is always good. Especially since a couple of decent demons, dragons and angels have been printed recently, such as Bloodletter of Aclazotz and Rakdos, Patron of Chaos.

DirkGently

Pretty sure there are still better auras available (I can think of at least a couple that give flying + stat bonuses...except wait you don't even need flying if you've already got unblockable...and if you don't have another aura then you can't buff the stats hardly at all...) but whatever.

Kaalia is imo a terrible design. She's like...peak "Jon commander". Either she's going to win on turn six because she got to run amok through a table that wasn't prepared for her, or she's going to fall down six flights of stairs because she got answered by a table that was prepared for her, with very few actually enjoyable games in between. I honestly don't understand how people can enjoy playing with her for any significant length of time.

Power: B
Design: F
Final judgment: Bugly.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 4 months ago

her price went down hard, i'm guessing so did people playing her.
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 4 months ago

One of the OG K.O.S. generals of the format. It's up there with Zur, etc. in the sense that it's literally never a good idea to let it live for any appreciable amount of time. The good news is that it requires an attack and dies to a stiff breeze, so it's not a hard problem to solve, just exceedingly dire if you fail to do so.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

3drinks

Hermes_ wrote:
4 months ago
her price went down hard, i'm guessing so did people playing her.
Multiple reprints will do that. Rather have her $10 than $30 so more people can enjoy her.
DirkGently wrote:
4 months ago
Kaalia is imo a terrible design. She's like...peak "Jon commander". Either she's going to win on turn six because she got to run amok through a table that wasn't prepared for her, or she's going to fall down six flights of stairs because she got answered by a table that was prepared for her, with very few actually enjoyable games in between. I honestly don't understand how people can enjoy playing with her for any significant length of time.
"That stupid purple hippo is the epitome of terrible design, it requires you to use bad abilities to kingmake your way to victory."

See, I can make awful, loaded vague statements about decks I don't understand too. Doesn't make them right.

13 years and counting. Long may she reign.

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”