[Off-Topic] Community Chat Thread

duducrash
Still Learning
Pronoun: he / him

Post by duducrash » 5 months ago

Guardman wrote:
5 months ago
Blogatog wrote:Please reprint Snapcaster mage and scion of oona with female artwork. Thank you so much.

There's a foreign language issue we have to deal with. Certain languages have gendered elements which differ depending on whether the art portrays a male or female creature. This keeps us (mostly) having new art match the same gender as the original art.
https://tmblr.co/ZrlFaxextlzc0i01

So this is something that I never even thought about until now, but makes so much sense.

In Portuguese, snapcaster is MagO da conjuração relâmpago, mago being a gendered word for a male mage

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 5 months ago

Anyone else playing Diablo 4? Just started this week.

Biggest complaint is all the cosmetic flogging, but I absolutely adore the default necromancer aesthetics, way more than the overwrought paid models, so good job playing yourself blizzard.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

duducrash
Still Learning

Post by duducrash » 5 months ago

I know EDH is a social format and I appreciate what I'm about to complain is a feature not a bug.

Oh my god, I hate when people try to politic everything. Everyone at 40 life, someone swings for 2 at a person, they spend 4 minutes trying to talk their way out of it. Dude, make your argument, if the person says no just take the hit and move on

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 5 months ago

Got a gimbal, lighting kit, and a microphone for the holidays. All that's left is the Adobe Premiere Pro subscription and uh, work.

Toshi
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Post by Toshi » 5 months ago

Happy holidays to all of you!
Whatever that might mean to you, I hope you surround yourself with nothing but great food and great company.

cheonice
Death to Chronos.

Post by cheonice » 5 months ago

Happy holidays! Hope you all get some well deserved rest and spend some time with the nicest people!

For us it's the first Christmas with our boy (4 months already!) and it's equally wonderful/joyful and exhausting, because baby decided that Sleep is overrated. But yeah, he's just the cutest and most wonderful one can imagine <3

Dunadain
I like turtles
Answers: 2
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Dunadain » 5 months ago

Merry Christmas!
All cards are bad if you try hard enough.

Important decks: Ebondeath, Dracolich, Emiel, The Blessed, Phelddagriff
Other: Ruhan, Zask, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Help me complete my JumpStart Cube!

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 5 months ago

Merry Christmas, Nexus!

Side note, I got a Switch today and it takes games FOREVER to download.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 5/26/24 (Modern Horizons III)

Dunadain
I like turtles

I played Risk on Saturday for the first time since I was 7. It's like multiplayer dynamics on easy mode, pretty fun, might play more often.

Secret missions, however, are %$#%$#%. Someone had a secret mission to eliminate one of the colors (me). A third person killed me and that guy immediately won the game. At first we thought that, since he wasn't the person to take my last territory, it didn't count, but we checked the rules and that exact scenario was used as an example in the rule book and confirmed that it counted as a win.

That's such a terrible secret objective! It means the rest of the table has to hope they eliminate opponents in the correct order. Even worse, it means if two players have a secret objective to eliminate each other it's impossible for anyone else to win the game (barring their own secret missions).

It could be fixed so easily too! Just rewrite the secret mission so that you must eliminate the final territory of that player, If someone else eliminates that player, you'll have to win the old fashioned way.

Rant over.

Other: Ruhan, Zask, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Dunadain
I like turtles

My next post will be my 1,000th post! what should it be? :thinking:

cheonice
Death to Chronos.

Post by cheonice » 5 months ago

I got a new deckbuilding project! Check out my Tiny Leaders Duel Decks!

Dunadain
I like turtles

My wife got me the sea-side expansion for Dominion for Christmas and we played our first game today.

It was fun, the Island card is my favorite. The more things change, the more things stay the same XD.

I love Dominion, I sometimes wonder why it hasn't replaced MTG as my card-game hobby. Brewing is my favorite part about both games anyways, and Dominion puts a lot more emphasis on deck building. Ultimately though, I think Dominion is just a bit too shallow to become an obsessive hobby. So even though I've been playing a lot of Dominion, y'all are still stuck with me =P

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

Post by Lifeless » 5 months ago

I have the core Dominion set only and enjoy it (and deck builders in general). If I was to get only one more expansion what would you recommend?

I have a few other deck builders and the one we've played the most is Ascension. It has a nice pseudo MTG vibe that the group enjoys when we're not really interested in playing Magic proper.

Dunadain
I like turtles

Lifeless wrote:
5 months ago
I have the core Dominion set only and enjoy it (and deck builders in general). If I was to get only one more expansion what would you recommend?
Intrigue is generally considered the best "first" expansion.

I should look into other deck builder games...

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 5 months ago

Dunadain wrote:
5 months ago
Lifeless wrote:
5 months ago

I recommend Star Realms. It's not super complex, but it accommodates multiple players well and the faction system is pretty cool. I picked up the base game and most of the expansions at a yard sale for $20 and I've got my money's worth at least!
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

Post by Lifeless » 5 months ago

Dunadain wrote:
5 months ago
Lifeless wrote:
5 months ago

Thanks, I'll add that to my list to pick up before too long.

Ascension is a good option for most Magic players in my experience and the base set is really cheap. There's also tons of versions that add fun additional rules, although some are out of print and hard to find.

I recently pledged the KS for Shards of Infinity from the same company. I haven't played it before but it looked fun and I'm a sucker for getting all the content for games in one go if possible.

Dunadain
I like turtles

I bought Doom Eternal last night. I don't like first person shooters but it was $10 so I figured why not.

I've played maybe an hour or two, but holy %$#% this game is fun, why didn't anyone tell me this game wasn't like other fps games? Are the other Doom games this fun?

materpillar
the caterpillar

Post by materpillar » 5 months ago

Lifeless wrote:
5 months ago
Dunadain wrote:
5 months ago
Lifeless wrote:
5 months ago

Thanks, I'll add that to my list to pick up before too long.

Ascension is a good option for most Magic players in my experience and the base set is really cheap. There's also tons of versions that add fun additional rules, although some are out of print and hard to find.

I recently pledged the KS for Shards of Infinity from the same company. I haven't played it before but it looked fun and I'm a sucker for getting all the content for games in one go if possible.
Shards is a super solid deck building game. Star Realms is peak 1v1 deck building. My favorite is deck building with a splash of something else like Dune: Imperium and Tyrants of the Underdark

Toshi
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Post by Toshi » 5 months ago

If you're into co-op and drafting, Spirit Island is quite possibly my favorite 2-3 player co-op title ever.

Dragonlover

Post by Dragonlover » 5 months ago

materpillar wrote:
5 months ago
Tyrants of the Underdark
Tyrants is a fantastic game.

Dragonlover
All my decks are here

materpillar
the caterpillar

Post by materpillar » 5 months ago

Toshi wrote:
5 months ago
If you're into co-op and drafting, Spirit Island is quite possibly my favorite 2-3 player co-op title ever.
Spirit Island is my 2nd favorite board game of all board games. It doesn't have a whole lot of drafting though. For that I like 7 Wonders and Blood Rage.
Dragonlover wrote:
5 months ago
Tyrants is a fantastic game.

Dragonlover
Tyrants is really good. I don't get to play it enough. My wife isn't as big of a fan of deckbuilding games as I am.

WizardMN
Answers: 131

Post by WizardMN » 5 months ago

I like deckbuilding games and so does my girlfriend. But she primarily likes playing them cooperatively which limits our choices. We generally play Marvel Legendary which is good and Harry Potter Hogwarts Battle but I have been trying to find another game we could play. I actually like Harry Potter in general over Legendary as I like the idea of a) Character Cards with special abilities and b) Being able to take down enemies over the course of multiple turns.

I can't seem to find a good one that has those elements of Harry Potter along with a good theme. The Character Card aspect seems relatively rare without adding in a bunch of additional complexity in terms of D&D style leveling. I think the DC Deckbuilder has character cards but it is only cooperative via an Expansion and I see mixed reviews on it whenever I look it up.

I am honestly hoping the Brandon Sanderson Deckbuilding Game based on his Mistborn series will be cooperative but there isn't a ton of information about it yet.

Hawk
Slayer of Threads

Post by Hawk » 5 months ago

Off-topic in that I don't know where else to post it, but I was just too amused by how the game turned out. Got to play a game over the weekend of three precons (1-8th Doctors, 13th Doctor, and the Galadriel precon) versus Tuvasa the Sunlit that was also a Planechase game. Long game, lots of words, everyone was in a goofy mood. Eventually Thirteenth Doctor killed Tuvasa with her massive vigilant board while the other doctor deck turtled up behind The Second Doctor and an army of dorks courtesy of Alistair, the Brigadier + City of Death. My elves got rocked with a boardwipe but came back strong with a 11/12 Galadriel wearing a Whispersilk Cloak. Thirteenth doctor went for the kill on the other doctors and I decided to save her with a Galadhrim Ambush, which both foiled her attack and I found out after I killed her with Galadriel on my turn also saved me from Last Night Together afterwards. I was confident I had a win, as I killed her with a further-pumped Galadriel courtesy of Mirkwood Trapper and then cast a Genesis Wave for X=7 to nab a full board of blockers against the OG Doctors, who already had taken commander damage earlier in the game. I was only at 19 passing turn, but my board was full enough to stop The Third Doctor (who was currently a 18/18) with blocks even if he went up higher with more tokens or an equipment...

But then my last opponent smirked, pointed out that she'd been allowed to scry several times over the last two turns courtesy of Model of Unity (I'd cast an Elrond and the Thirteenth Doctor had cast a Trap the Trespassers out of River Song's Journal) and just kept topping the cards...because she Reverse the Polarity'd me for the kill. I was too amused by the absolutely perfect Third Doctor ending of the game to be mad.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”