Post by TheGildedGoose » 1 year ago

RxPhantom wrote:
1 year ago
duducrash wrote:
1 year ago
Venedrex wrote:
1 year ago
Be carefull (…) Pinkertons
We've gone too far with Pinkerton slander. Its a top 3 weezer album!!
Holy crap, are we gonna talk Weezer now? The best band with the worst catalog.
My name is Vader.

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional
Pronoun: he / him

Post by DirkGently » 1 year ago

JFC the double sided praetors (Urabrask) even have the stupid ugly reminder text on the serial number printings.

Remember when tenth edition removed reminder text for foils only? I don't like foils, but if ever there was a gimmick that would make me want them, it'd be removing reminder text. Especially dumb, obvious reminder text.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Wayta - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Eris - Magda - Ghired2 - Xander - Me - Slogurk - Gilraen - Shelob2 - Kellan1 - Leori - Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 1 year ago

DirkGently wrote:
1 year ago
TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
1 year ago
To be quite fair to both of us, it is extraordinarily taxing to argue with 3+ people at once on one's own.
I can't imagine.
Not everyone can do what you can do. You'd fit right in as a UK MP bellowing against a whole side of a room, but most of us are more attuned to a good ol' fashioned showdown. Vene and I just know when to hold 'em and when to fold 'em.

EDIT: then again, I failed to convert the Yojimbo battle into a W despite having God and everyone's mother on my side, so maybe Vene knows when to fold 'em and I'm just bad at argumentative endgames.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 1 year ago

Venedrex wrote:
1 year ago
Hermes_ wrote:
1 year ago
tstorm823 wrote:
1 year ago

How can you post this and not let us see what it is?
Because i'm a horrible person who would actually play the deck in question?

Zedruu Group Slug Chaos

https://www.moxfield.com/decks/bM7Lp6Y3ZESFzmy60S2_9A
I pity the poor souls who must do battle against this deck.
You and @tstorm823 asked for it.
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

Venedrex
Wait, we can have titles?
Answers: 2
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Venedrex » 1 year ago

Hermes_ wrote:
1 year ago
Venedrex wrote:
1 year ago
Hermes_ wrote:
1 year ago

Because i'm a horrible person who would actually play the deck in question?

Zedruu Group Slug Chaos

https://www.moxfield.com/decks/bM7Lp6Y3ZESFzmy60S2_9A
I pity the poor souls who must do battle against this deck.
You and @tstorm823 asked for it.
I like how Enchanted Evening perfectly curves into Farewell for maximum... hilarity. :rofl:
Epicurean, EDH without Universes Beyond.

http://nxs.wf/np748831

duducrash
Still Learning

Post by duducrash » 1 year ago

I just googled the pinkertons because of this thread and.... You guys in the US surely are a 1st world country. even your criminal organizations are a company. amazing.

this is a swingy subject because yeah, I absolutely think the leaker knew 100% what he was doing, the owner of the LGS who send it to him probably should face both criminal and logistical consequences and all that. I think its normal WOTC is fighting this fight.... but holy hell the corporate overlords hired these guys to take care of it? wtf

If it was here in Brazil we would 1) Pay someone inside the govt to make a big fuss and regulate it 2) pay someone (who probably is employed by the state as a LEO) and break this guys leg or something. less steps you know

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 1 year ago

The leaks had already leaked. They can't be un-leaked. Sending Pinkertons (which I didn't even know still existed) is so far beyond reasonable that I can't even picture the meeting in which it was pitched and approved. Gross.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 5/26/24 (Modern Horizons III)

Hermes_

RxPhantom wrote:
1 year ago
The leaks had already leaked. They can't be un-leaked. Sending Pinkertons (which I didn't even know still existed) is so far beyond reasonable that I can't even picture the meeting in which it was pitched and approved. Gross.
I've already gotten in trouble for talking about it on a different forum so I'm going to attempt to avoid talking about it here least i get in trouble.

__

On a different topic: if cradle robbing is when an old guy goes after a girl young enough to be his kid, does that mean that grave robbing is when a girl goes after a guy old enough to be her dad?

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

@Hermes_ if it isn't, it damn well should be.

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 1 year ago

Hermes_ wrote:
1 year ago
On a different topic: if cradle robbing is when an old guy goes after a girl young enough to be his kid, does that mean that grave robbing is when a girl goes after a guy old enough to be her dad?
I ain't saying she's a gold digger.

I've been really struggling lately to make a control deck that's actually fun to play against. Dirk's Phelddagrif spellslinger prison deck can be utterly brutal to play both with and against sometimes.

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 1 year ago

TheGildedGoose wrote:
1 year ago
I've been really struggling lately to make a control deck that's actually fun to play against.
I don't think people have the attention span for it anymore. Even just playing a board wipe is groan inducing nowadays :P

Given that Hour of Revelation is my spirit animal, I'm struggling to adapt.

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

TheGildedGoose wrote:
1 year ago
Hermes_ wrote:
1 year ago

I've been really struggling lately to make a control deck that's actually fun to play against. Dirk's Phelddagrif spellslinger prison deck can be utterly brutal to play both with and against sometimes.
I find fiddling with the Phelddagrif formula is pretty fun. I built a brutal esper control list a few years ago that entirely forsook the political angle and just slung a salvo of removal and handful of defensive cards around until I could safely win with Necropotence and Approach of the 2nd Sun. So long as you maintain the critical mass of answers and have some concise and reliable wincon, it's just a matter of seasoning to taste. Your broccoli deck was close, imo brokkos just sucks.

As for fun to play against, hardcore control will never be truly "fun", at least in the wacky, zany, exciting sense of the word. But it can be satisfying to overcome, and therein lies the incentive for your opponents. A tough but fair game is a healthy stress test for any build. I do think it's important to pick your moments though. I usually only play control if I feel like the table is deeply unbalanced or full of uninteractive explosive decks that require a degree of answers to keep the games going longer than t5. I also don't usually play it more than once/outing at most; multiple games against grindfest draw go can become very taxing for everyone involved.

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 1 year ago

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
1 year ago
As for fun to play against, hardcore control will never be truly "fun", at least in the wacky, zany, exciting sense of the word. But it can be satisfying to overcome, and therein lies the incentive for your opponents. A tough but fair game is a healthy stress test for any build. I do think it's important to pick your moments though. I usually only play control if I feel like the table is deeply unbalanced or full of uninteractive explosive decks that require a degree of answers to keep the games going longer than t5. I also don't usually play it more than once/outing at most; multiple games against grindfest draw go can become very taxing for everyone involved.
All of this is spot on. Piloting is the fun of playing control, stax too. These decks are notoriously hard to win with because they piss people off traditionally. The better you get at them, the less people notice your influence. That's what's fun about them.

I also find I don't want more than one game with them at a time. They're mentally taxing to both pilot and play against.

As for interesting control builds @TheGildedGoose I've been really enjoying Tayam, Luminous Enigma for quite some time. It's good at control in both a stax sense and a midrange on the stack sense, and it works incredibly well around most of it's own board control. Wide open for build angles, too, and plays nicely at multiple levels from cedh right down to casual.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

duducrash
Still Learning

Post by duducrash » 1 year ago

Truth! The format is casual to a point a board wipe is frowned upon in some circles!

All that being said, Karador, Ghost Chieftain is a under the radar control commander. @WizardMN list is a great starting point. blueless control is fun! My list has a bit more stax to it

Hermes_

so, I was looking at some Unique cards on Coolstuffinc and saw this one and I kind of want it just for the art

Preacher

Dragonlover

Post by Dragonlover » 1 year ago

I don't mind a board wipe, what I mind is a board wipe every other turn for eight turns. That %$#% gets tedious.

Dragonlover
All my decks are here

materpillar
the caterpillar

Post by materpillar » 1 year ago

TheGildedGoose wrote:
1 year ago
Hermes_ wrote:
1 year ago

I've been really enjoying my Yurlok of Scorch Thrash "group hug" deck. It has a lot of the same ideas as Dirk's Phelddagrif but twisted. Instead of trying to keep your threat profile low, you try to ensure someone else is constantly the archenemy, just on the edge of winning. Instead of keeping things under control with Hour of Revelation, you spiral things out of control with group hug effects and then Insurrection. The deck is basically Howling Mine/Mana Flare effects, a huge pile of removal/fogs and Wild Ricochet/Insurrection as winconditions.

I tell people I'm playing against that it's "group hug" but it's really a control deck at heart. You're constantly having to keep people's board states in check and stop them from winning. It's just that you push everyone's board states into the realm of "I'm doing cool stuff!" so they don't notice you're doing to control deck thing of fun policing because they see their deck is doing the thing.

I love being like "Can I cast this Mana Flare to set up the mono-B deck for his massive Torment of Hailfire for me to Reverberate or will resolving this immediately get everyone at the table killed before that happens?"

Note: this deck probably only works if people are winning in "fair" ways. If the whole table is on Thassa's Oracle/Tendrils of Agony/non-interactive spellslinger/combo %$#%$#% you're just going to throw the game to whoever is on your right. You can handle some of that but not an entire table of it (which is what Dirk's list is designed to do).

Hermes_

Jason's Deli 1980

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

Post by Lifeless » 1 year ago

I do enjoy the Jason's Deli muffaletta to this day, so I'd have to stick with that.

Ulka

Post by Ulka » 1 year ago

Hermes_ wrote:
1 year ago
so, I was looking at some Unique cards on Coolstuffinc and saw this one and I kind of want it just for the art

Preacher
Preacher is a card I loved in my Numot, the Devastator helmed every card I hope will make someone need to read it again deck.

Its a wonderful effect, its just bonkers how pricey the card is now.
Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 1 year ago

Modern streaming has me so spoiled. I'm really annoyed that I have to watch a show weekly.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 5/26/24 (Modern Horizons III)

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

Post by Lifeless » 1 year ago

It's funny I feel like my enjoyment of many shows is depleted if I watch them too quickly. So much so that the wife and I deliberately slowed down our binge watching habits to allow for better digestion.

I first noticed this when we were dating and she wanted to watch the Harry Potter movies with me. Her favorite character is Sirius Black and she explained how bummed she was when his character died. It made me realize that for her Sirius was "alive" and part of her world for years, but for me he was only alive for 3 days. As much as I love Gary Oldman there's a big chasm in significance.

folding_music
glitter pen on my mana crypt
Pronoun: they / them

Post by folding_music » 1 year ago

all this agony can be discarded if you just avoid franchises. giggle. films from the seventies go like 85 minutes and put their characters through hell and you empathize with them regardless of the tiny time they've existed in yr mind

(responding to a post on the previous page!)

Ruiner

Post by Ruiner » 1 year ago

I like having a mix of binging and weekly releases.

Knowing every week that a new episode of Taskmaster (or whatever) is coming gives me something to look forward to. I also get to enjoy that show for a large portion of a year, instead of knocking out a season in a week. For shows with an ongoing plot, I find that I usually remember better what was going on in a previous season when a new season premiers if that previous season was watched weekly, since the time between seasons is much shorter.

It sure is fun binging through a series though, and I can do that alongside any weekly released shows.

Hermes_

I found these sleeves

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”