Zedruu, the Buffhearted

Ulka
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Ulka » 4 years ago

Welcome to my wacky take on Zedruu. Everyone expects when they see a Zedruu to get gifts. In this deck we give them the gift of our goats fist. We can enchant Zedruu and then donate the Aura. The aura still provides us the effect but also then counts as the opponent controlling it. This allows us to draw more aura to keep the blitz going.

I'd love any feedback on the deck anyone has.

Buffheart

Commander:

Planeswalker (1)

Sorcery (1)

Approximate Total Cost:

Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool
Answers: 2

Post by tstorm823 » 4 years ago

A wise Zedruu player once passed wisdom onto me which I pass on to everyone I see play Zedruu: Pentad Prism is great. It gets you the mana and colors needed to start pumping out Zedruu value early, and it's a widget to donate.

Second thought: All that Glitters probably hits for a million, but it's going to be some corporate-level accounting keeping track of the things you do control.
Zedruu: "This deck is not only able to go crazy - it also needs to do so."

lyonhaert
Answers: 4
Pronoun: they / them

Post by lyonhaert » 4 years ago

tstorm823 wrote:
4 years ago
Second thought: All that Glitters probably hits for a million, but it's going to be some corporate-level accounting keeping track of the things you do control.
Although, if you donate All that Glitters, you'll have to keep track of how many that opponent controls.
Chainer bbb
"Image"
(rebuild after Geth)
Other
r Lathliss
bw Breena
To-Build Pool
rb Obosh Burn
gw Dromoka

Ulka

tstorm823 wrote: A wise Zedruu player once passed wisdom onto me which I pass on to everyone I see play Zedruu: Pentad Prism is great. It gets you the mana and colors needed to start pumping out Zedruu value early, and it's a widget to donate.

Thankfully my career is Payroll/Accounting :grin: :grin: :grin:

Pentad is an amazing idea! thanks you for the idea!

Ulka

Change Log:

Fists of Flame > Enlightened Tutor: I found a spare ET in a box of old EDH stuff so adding a aura tutor.

temple bell > Storm Herald: Gives me a smaller Bruna like effect that can one-shot opponents with zedruu post removal.

Some notes:
I ordered a Pentad Prisim but it didnt actually come with the other cards so I'm going to have to track one down.

Other cards I need to pick up:

arcane Signet - another Signet is always good.
Idyllic Tutor - Debatable if it will make the list but i should get one incase.
The Locust God - This would allow us to go-wide if voltron won't work.

Ulka

Post by Ulka » 2 years ago

Well I got to play Zedruu in person after a year of Webcam only gaming. The deck still holds up amazingly and I had made some small changes that I will report on when I have the deck in front of me. I learned I need more protection for Zedruu as targeted removal eventually ate through my defenses. I'm also looking at adding some more early card selection in Ponder and Preordain. While they may not be the best cards for late game my early turns need work with the deck.

But new cards I've been eyeing for the list:
Resurgent Belief: A solid Refurbish effect that honestly I feel would slot in just fine. What I would remove for this card I have no idea.

Skyblade's Boon: Oh man I love this card. the reusability is excellent and I think it would be a solid addition. I will likely look at adding this over One With the Wind.

Witch's Clinic: I like this card a lot. Enabling the lifegain on zedruu even if I don't fine one of my lifelink auras is super sweet.

Expressive Iteration: This card is just bonkers good and I should be looking for spots to add it.

Axgard Armory: I love that I've gotten solid utility lands printed this past few sets. My mana base will look slightly different in the update.

Gates of Istfell: So this card is likely not going to make it into my manabase but I love the card and honestly just wanted to comment on it as a possibility but I likely will need less etb tapped lands in the list.

Hengegate Pathway // Mistgate Pathway and the other MF Lands: I love these and will be adding them to the list.

Overall a lot of cards to consider and I will have a solid update coming in the next day or so

Legend
Aethernaut

Post by Legend » 2 years ago

I like your Zedruu deck so much, I copied it, then tweaked it to my own taste. Check it out.
SPOILER
Show
Hide
Decklist

Commander (1)

Sorcery (2)

Approximate Total Cost:

“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

Legend
Aethernaut

Post by Legend » 2 years ago

Ulka wrote:
2 years ago
Overall a lot of cards to consider and I will have a solid update coming in the next day or so
Looking forward to it. Some of the tweaks I made include:

ARTIFACTS
Glass Casket out , Darksteel Mutation in. Same mana cost, but without the mv limit and it shuts down commanders.

CREATURES
Humble Defector out , Champion of the Flame in. Granted, I haven't played the deck yet (still waiting on pieces to arrive in mail), but Defector doesn't seem as suitable for this deck as it does for typical Zedruu decks.

Palace Jailer out , Wyleth, Soul of Steel in. Mostly due to a preference to not start a monarchy with this deck. Plus, Wyleth could recover the card advantage lost from Defector.

NON-AURA ENCHANTMENTS
Curse of Opulence out , Banishing Light in. I haven't written off Opulence, but instinctively, I don't want to ramp my opponents. Also, Banishing makes up for the loss of Jailer.

Smothering Tithe out , Sage's Reverie in. I simply don't own a Smothering Tithe. Even if I did, I'd test Sage's Reverie anyways. There's no denying Smothering Tithe's power though, so if Reverie underperforms, I'll pick up a Smothering Tithe.

AURAS
Face of Divinity out , Dust Corona in. Nothing wrong with Face, it's just easier to storm and/or voltron with 1 mv spells than it is with 3 mv spells.

Frenzied Rage out , Tilonalli's Crown in. Every bit of power helps. And of course trample is nice, too.

Spectra Ward out , Mantle of the Ancients in. It wasn't easy to give up Ward, but the comeback power of Mantle is irresistible, and it just seems like, at 5 mv each, this town aint big enough for the both of them.

INSTANTS
Enlightened Tutor out. Teferi's Protection in. There seems to be enough draw power and redundancy without tutoring already. I'd much rather protect my board than tutor.

Force of Negation out. Chaos Warp in. I don't own a Force of Negation and (again, having not yet played the deck), it doesn't seem necessary enough in this deck to warrant buying one. I like Chaos Warp anyways. It's just so versatile. And I like seeing a red card in the instants.

Stubborn Denial out , Reality Ripple in. I'm tripling down on phasing to protect the voltron.

SORCERIES
Divine Reckoning out. Promise of Loyalty in. Nothing wrong with Reckoning. It's one mana cheaper, but I really like the after effect Promise.

Jace Beleren out. Retether in. I can't resist the comeback potential of Retether.

LANDS
Scry Lands out , Snow Duals in. Of course, scry 1 will be missed, but I wanted to increase the odds that Glacial Fortress and friends will enter untapped. Oh how I wish I still had ABU duals.
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

Ulka

Post by Ulka » 1 year ago

I've been reviewing a few things in hopes to update Zedruu soon and a more formal post will come soon but Khârn the Betrayer seems like a lovely card to add as I really want another way to draw cards and apply damage.

Another card I'm considering is Combat Research - a solid curiosity effect. the reason I never play curiosity effects here is that I can't donate them. but now that this gives our commander a form of protection in addition I think it is worth adding, knowing I won't donate it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Decklists”