[mtgnexus] Random Card of the Day - Jetfire, Ingenious Scientist

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by kirkusjones » 1 year ago

Vilis, Broker of Blood is a blast. As noted by others, probably better in the 99 of K'rrik, Son of Yawgmoth, but I've enjoyed playing mono-black suicide with him at the helm.

hyalopterouslemur
Pronoun: he / him

Post by hyalopterouslemur » 1 year ago

"You know? Your Lightning Bolt was a lot better when it wasn't an Ancestral Recall...for me."
Thanks to Feyd_Ruin for the avatar!

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...
Answers: 126

Post by void_nothing » 1 year ago

You're never going to not be happy if you can get Vilis out - he always does work.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

Igzex

Post by Igzex » 1 year ago

I can't help but to feel that Vilis and Darien, King of Kjeldor have really weird guys night outs...

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 1 year ago

Thursday, July 7th, 2022; Force of Vigor

This ought to be interesting.

onering
Answers: 1

Post by onering » 1 year ago

Top tier removal. Destroying 2 of some combination of artifacts and enchantments at instant speed for 4 is still good, and being able to cast it for free plus pitching a spell is awesome.

I've seen people get tripped up by the subtle difference between this cycle and FoW though. You can't pay it's alternate cost on your own turn, which can be relevant. I've seen people need to remove an artifact or enchantment and not have enough mana to cast this because they thought they could cast it for free and played something else first.

Mookie
Answers: 48

Post by Mookie » 1 year ago

Force of Vigor is a very powerful card - it's free, instant-speed, high-tempo, and not even card disadvantage. You can't use it for free on your own turn, and you do need to have enough green cards to pay the alternate cost... but the base case of double-Naturalize isn't that bad either. I'd say the main downside is that green usually doesn't have a lot of synergies with instants, so you may prefer a creature / land version of this like Reclamation Sage or Boseiju, Who Endures.... but given that it's free, I would definitely expect to see this played at faster / higher-power tables.

As a general rule though, I'm not a big fan of this or other free spells - playing around them adds a ton of mental burden because you can no longer ignore tapped out players... and if you aren't playing around them, they often result in feel-bad blowouts. As a result, I think they lead to pretty poor gameplay patterns, even if they may be necessary in Legacy/Modern. Of course, part of that may just be salt from their generally high pricetags.

3drinks

Mookie wrote:
1 year ago
As a result, I think they lead to pretty poor gameplay patterns, even if they may be necessary in Legacy/Modern. Of course, part of that may just be salt from their generally high pricetags.
Legacy yes, but Modern no. Instead they've warped Modern because it doesn't have the strength or depth of cardpool to withstand the stresses these free spells (and that goes double for the MH2 evoke elementals) have done to the format.

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 1 year ago

Irked because I was too cheap to buy them early on...at one-fourth the current price.

I put it #2 for this effect after Nature's Claim.
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

RowanKeltizar
Firemind

Post by RowanKeltizar » 1 year ago

Force of Vigor is phenomenal, especially in a 2 color or mono green deck where you can be pretty sure you'll have something to exile to it. I'd be a little more reluctant to include it in a 3+color deck unless I was already heavy on green spells. It's great because you are likely wanting to tap out on your turn playing green unless you are playing simic.

The only real downside is that it doesn't exile, but now I'm just getting greedy. Fade into Antiquity or Deglamer are some other options you might consider. I'm also seriously looking at Ruinous Intrusion.
WRBKaalia, Zenith Seeker - Certified Air Raid Material
WBElenda, the Dusk Rose - Drain and Gain
WRAurelia, the Warleader - Tokens/Equipment
URNiv-Mizzet, Parun - Controlled Burn primer
BRGHenzie, "Toolbox" Torre - Creature Feature
BRGSoul of Windgrace - Lands Matter
RGWGishath, Sun's Avatar - I'M YOUR DADDY
GWUBAtraxa, Praetors' Voice - Artifact Stax Beatdown
Budget Starter Decks
UBSygg, River Cutthroat
WU Shorikai, Genesis Engine

PrimevalCommander

Post by PrimevalCommander » 1 year ago

Serenade wrote:
1 year ago
Irked because I was too cheap to buy them early on...at one-fourth the current price.

I put it #2 for this effect after Nature's Claim.
Agreed, excellent card, but there are waaaaaay too many flavors of Naturalize for me to pay the current price tag on it.

Overall one of the best instant speed ways to destroy artifacts and enchantments. Luckily, if I'm in green I'll probably favor creature-based versions of this that I can tutor and recur at will and get equal or greater value in the long term.

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 1 year ago

Did you guys know free spells are good!

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 1 year ago

Very glad to have picked this up for a few bucks on release. Doesnt deserve the current price, but still very, very good card.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

3drinks

Friday, July 8th, 2022; Noetic Scales

The irony of a counter to reanimator that's actually too slow unless it's also being reanimated out.

hyalopterouslemur

Post by hyalopterouslemur » 1 year ago

I don't know, this would at least be good when your hands start to get empty.

Obligatory Grant Morrison reference. "Empty is my hand" suddenly isn't just some narm. (Especially since, as of this year's FCBD, his hand has finger puppets OF DOOM!)

It has potential against populate decks. Your tokens are nullified at the next upkeep.
Thanks to Feyd_Ruin for the avatar!

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

hyalopterouslemur wrote:
1 year ago
I don't know, this would at least be good when your hands start to get empty.
Yup, it's better at punishing overextension in general than reanimator in particular IMHO. One of those funky little Urza block artifacts that gets relatively ignored in favor of the, uh, more popular things from that era.
It has potential against populate decks. Your tokens are nullified at the next upkeep.
This however ain't necessarily so. Power, not CMC.
Psst, check the second page of Custom Card Contests & Games! Because of the daily contests, a lot of games fall down to there.

The greatest (fake) pro wrestling on the internet - Collaborative Create-A-Booster - My random creations (updated regularly)

Important Facts: Colorless is not a color, Wastes is not a land type, Changeling is not a creature type

materpillar
the caterpillar

Post by materpillar » 1 year ago

This card is strong against battlecrusier decks that actually try to combat damage you to death and really weak against anything remotely unfair. It actively helps flicker decks.

MaritLage
Catholic Nun
Pronoun: she / her

Post by MaritLage » 1 year ago

Hnh neat the new phrasing adds the "its" . [Older cards seem to say "to owner·s hand" while newer cards say "to its owner·s hand" . I wonder why they did it that way .]
(She/Her) English is not my first language
#███<Good Good AM/PM>__
#███████<In Deed .>__

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 1 year ago

I put it into Sydri, Galvanic Genius vehicles since my vehicles are not creatures during the upkeep anyway.
I don't think I have ever drawn it though. The deck doesn't see a lot of play because it is grindy and staxy.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

Treamayne

Post by Treamayne » 1 year ago

Dunharrow wrote:
1 year ago
I put it into Sydri, Galvanic Genius vehicles since my vehicles are not creatures during the upkeep anyway.
I don't think I have ever drawn it though. The deck doesn't see a lot of play because it is grindy and staxy.
I also had it in my Sydri Vehicle deck, for the same reason. I liked that the value dorks that would obviously abuse being recast were rarely bounced because they were too small to trigger unless a player was Hellbent.

Every time it's hit the battlefield I was told it was "not casual" as people ragequit the game. When I updated that deck for NEO, I removed the scales. Granted, those games were on MTGO, where the threshold for a ragequit is tiny.
V/R

Treamayne

OneAndOnly

Post by OneAndOnly » 1 year ago

On paper, it sounds like it'd be self-limiting: The more creatures get bounced, the more cards you have in hand, so the higher-power cards can stick around. But the decks that want to abuse it, really, really abuse it with ETB effects since it is, as materpillar points out, free and repeatable flicker.

I used to see this more with control decks -- one 5-6 cmc creature and a full grip and you were good to go.
Last edited by OneAndOnly 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.

3drinks

Saturday, July 9th, 2022; Eaten Alive

We've seen this effect before but I think the upsides of 1mv, exile, and getting multiple types makes this more than fringe playable, if you can manage the disposable body req.

void_nothing
Look On My Sash...

Exile is good. Aristocrats decks can easily use this as a pretty okay part of a removal suite.

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 1 year ago

I probably need to update Juri and Kels with this over Bone Shards (which was the better version of Bone Splinters). I like to have a few of these spells in those decks but limit the number of non-instant-speed variants. I do not expect to add as main removal any time soon.
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 1 year ago

If this was an instant it'd be solid. At sorcery, nah.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”