[Off-Topic] Community Chat Thread

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by RxPhantom » 2 years ago

Imma be picking up that Left Handed Secret Lair. The central conceit is fine and cute enough, but the selection of cards is great for me, as is the art. I have uses for every single one. Empress Galina is especially lovely.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

Hermes_
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Hermes_ » 2 years ago

i found this on twitter
SPOILER
Show
Hide
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

I had to administer two doses of naloxone and give CPR tonight. I've never had to do either before. It was scary.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

Post by Lifeless » 2 years ago

Overdose is scary stuff. I really wish this (and other) countries would get their act together on harm reduction strategies and how we treat people with substance abuse issues.

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 2 years ago

Lifeless wrote:
2 years ago
Overdose is scary stuff. I really wish this (and other) countries would get their act together on harm reduction strategies and how we treat people with substance abuse issues.
Addiction is portrayed in film and news as if it is some kind of axiomatic force that can't be helped, but the reality in literature is that external forces like socioeconomic status, community and family support, etc. play a huge role in addiction.

I guess it makes it easier to ignore things when we make them out to be fatalistic, like there's nothing that can be done about them, but in reality most problems are tractable given willingness to prioritize them vs. throwing our hands up and saying it's too complicated to do anything :P

materpillar
the caterpillar

Post by materpillar » 2 years ago

I am officially a married man. I am extremely pleased. :D

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Congrats to you @materpillar! Most of the good things in my life are the result of my marriage.

vandertroll
The Pontiac Bandit

Post by vandertroll » 2 years ago

materpillar wrote:
2 years ago
I am officially a married man. I am extremely pleased. :D
Run awayyyyyyyyyy!
Ertai, Wizard Adept counts as a Wizard.

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 2 years ago

Congratulations @materpillar. It's funny, everything and nothing changes really. Still the same person you're with, but just the act of making that commitment really takes your relationship to a new level. It's very reassuring to know that whatever happens you have your best friend by your side.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

Hermes_

Well, now I can add the correct lens placement for a nuclear device to the long list of trivia I know.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Can someone explain the list of 'trending' cards on EDHrec? It seems like just a random list of cards each day. Number one today is Archangel of Tithes. Did more people add that to a deck today? Help me understand!

Venedrex
Wait, we can have titles?

Post by Venedrex » 2 years ago

RxPhantom wrote:
2 years ago
Can someone explain the list of 'trending' cards on EDHrec? It seems like just a random list of cards each day. Number one today is Archangel of Tithes. Did more people add that to a deck today? Help me understand!
I believe it means the top cards that have been added to a deck recently since eight of the cards beneath it are Angels, and guess what commander just came out: Giada, Font of Hope. So as far as I know it's just showing what cards are trending in terms of being thrown into lists, or list appearing with them in it. So I think if a bunch of people make an angel deck, the angel cards trend.
Epicurean, EDH without Universes Beyond.

http://nxs.wf/np748831

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 2 years ago

In the big leak of d&d commander on mythicspoiler, there's Geralf's Messenger which really confused me in terms of flavour, draft utility, reprint interest, etc…until I realised it was just a random DKA card "spoiled" on accident. Has the DKA set symbol and everything.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Hermes_

DirkGently wrote:
2 years ago
In the big leak of d&d commander on mythicspoiler, there's Geralf's Messenger which really confused me in terms of flavour, draft utility, reprint interest, etc…until I realised it was just a random DKA card "spoiled" on accident. Has the DKA set symbol and everything.
apparently it's on The List, the symbol is barely in the picture

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

CommandFests are back, baby!

I don't know if any of you are close, but I'm going to do my damndest to go to the Richmond one for at least two days. https://commandfestrichmond.com

EDIT: booked for Friday and Saturday.
Last edited by RxPhantom 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 2 years ago

Hermes_ wrote:
2 years ago
apparently it's on The List, the symbol is barely in the picture
Ah, that makes more sense.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 2 years ago

pokken wrote:
2 years ago
Lifeless wrote:
2 years ago
Addiction is portrayed in film and news as if it is some kind of axiomatic force that can't be helped, but the reality in literature is that external forces like socioeconomic status, community and family support, etc. play a huge role in addiction.

I guess it makes it easier to ignore things when we make them out to be fatalistic, like there's nothing that can be done about them, but in reality most problems are tractable given willingness to prioritize them vs. throwing our hands up and saying it's too complicated to do anything :P
Two days ago a friend of mine lost their daughter to overdose. It has been an issue for years, and they have tried everything to deal with her substance abuse issues.
Sometimes, there is nothing you can do. A teenager who became an addict who overdosed as a young adult... like what socioeconomic forces were involved? Family was there for her, tried to help relentlessly for years.
I guess sometimes there are no easy answers.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

pokken

Post by pokken » 2 years ago

Dunharrow wrote:
2 years ago
Two days ago a friend of mine lost their daughter to overdose. It has been an issue for years, and they have tried everything to deal with her substance abuse issues.
Sometimes, there is nothing you can do. A teenager who became an addict who overdosed as a young adult... like what socioeconomic forces were involved? Family was there for her, tried to help relentlessly for years.
It's very sad, and I can empathize strongly with people in those situations (dealt with addiction a lot in my family, still mostly estranged from my dad because of it). So with all compassion I'll just say that you can't really apply the general to the specific--in broad strokes, if you fix the underlying reasons people feel hopeless, many people can be saved who aren't because we often treat addiction as unfixable. But not everyone can be helped, in much the same statistical way as other large scale issues like cancer, crime and poverty.

I don't think it's an "easy" answer so much as that there are difficult to achieve but helpful things we can do as a society, but that we don't?

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 2 years ago

pokken wrote:
2 years ago
Dunharrow wrote:
2 years ago
It's very sad, and I can empathize strongly with people in those situations (dealt with addiction a lot in my family, still mostly estranged from my dad because of it). So with all compassion I'll just say that you can't really apply the general to the specific--in broad strokes, if you fix the underlying reasons people feel hopeless, many people can be saved who aren't because we often treat addiction as unfixable. But not everyone can be helped, in much the same statistical way as other large scale issues like cancer, crime and poverty.

I don't think it's an "easy" answer so much as that there are difficult to achieve but helpful things we can do as a society, but that we don't?
No I know this is an exception to the general situation with addicts. I just decided to read the community thread and saw this discussion and drug abuse has been on my mind so I shared.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 2 years ago

RxPhantom wrote:
2 years ago

I don't know if any of you are close, but I'm going to do my damndest to go to the Richmond one for at least two days. https://commandfestrichmond.com

Dang, dang, dang! Richmond is but 4 hours away, and I really want to go.
But there's no way I'll be able to get off from work during that time. Dang, dang, double dang!

But wait! There may be a tiny chance, and if there's a chance, maybe we should throw up a thread to coordinate our collective presence! It would be lovely to meet some of you fine folks across a table of our preferred format (however unlikely for me personally).
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
2 years ago
RxPhantom wrote:
2 years ago

Dang, dang, dang! Richmond is but 4 hours away, and I really want to go.
But there's no way I'll be able to get off from work during that time. Dang, dang, double dang!

But wait! There may be a tiny chance, and if there's a chance, maybe we should throw up a thread to coordinate our collective presence! It would be lovely to meet some of you fine folks across a table of our preferred format (however unlikely for me personally).
I think it would be awesome to play some games with some Nexus folk. Where would I put that thread? It wouldn't go in the main forum, would it? I mean, it probably wouldn't hurt anything.

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 2 years ago

@RxPhantom Ah, just throw it up on the main forum. The mods will move it if they wanna move it.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
2 years ago
@RxPhantom Ah, just throw it up on the main forum. The mods will move it if they wanna move it.
I'll do that, but also...

YOU SHOULD GO!

benjameenbear

Post by benjameenbear » 2 years ago

Oh, a weekend of Commander? At a location that's actually travel-able? With the chance to meet some Nexus peeps?

*Requests PTO and tells wife of plans...*

I'm going to do my damndest to get there.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 2 years ago

And I just got another fake through TCG. Man.... the fakes these days are EXTREMELY convincing and have to be heavily scrutinized. This one was too thin, the bend was a off, and had an incredibly small but noticeable thickness increase over the holographic which real cards don't have.

I know some people go by a stance that if they can't tell its not a big deal but paying full price for fake cards that later will not be sellable is something I am not willing to do. Check your cards closely my friends. This was a $30 Scalding Tarn from MH2 so a somewhat modern printed card and not even that expensive of one. I suppose when it was printed though Tarns were probably $60+ though which is enough for the fakers to go after it.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”