[Off-Topic] Community Chat Thread

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by kirkusjones » 2 years ago

And the angel of the lord appeared unto a bunch of bozos smoking marb 100s in a Walmart parking lot and they were unimpressed. And the angel said unto the bozos, go forth and consume, for the lord cares not what you do, lest ye decide to buy him a gift, in which case he is a men's size 9 1/2. And the bozos gazed upon the angel and turned away, for their smoke break had been over five minutes before. And the the lord saw and said it was meh, and everyone went back to work. Hallelujah, quoth the angel, getting into their 92 Geo Metro and the last thing the bozos heard as the car sputtered and groaned, was "tis January 31st, time to pay your student loans!"

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1
Pronoun: he / him

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 2 years ago

@kirkusjones I wish I could thank you for that at least twice more. Let it be known!
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

EonAon

Post by EonAon » 2 years ago

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
2 years ago
Good god, working with the public is a nightmare around the holidays. Goodwill to all mankind? Ha! All the contrived stress and artificially-induced financial burdens will do away with that. I despise December through and through and the stupid gauntlet it makes us all run.
AH work retail do you?

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 2 years ago

Put in my first PR for an open source project today, time to get savaged for how bad my code is and how lacking my tests are and whatever other dumb crap I did, but really excited to contribute either way :)

materpillar
the caterpillar

Post by materpillar » 2 years ago

I'm engaged now. So that's pretty neat. :D

pokken wrote:
2 years ago
Put in my first PR for an open source project today, time to get savaged for how bad my code is and how lacking my tests are and whatever other dumb crap I did, but really excited to contribute either way :)
PR?

lyonhaert
Answers: 4
Pronoun: they / them

Post by lyonhaert » 2 years ago

materpillar wrote:
2 years ago
pokken wrote:
2 years ago
PR?
Pull Request. Submitting a contribution to the work of the project.
Chainer bbb
"Image"
(rebuild after Geth)
Other
r Lathliss
bw Breena
To-Build Pool
rb Obosh Burn
gw Dromoka

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 2 years ago

materpillar wrote:
2 years ago
I'm engaged now. So that's pretty neat. :D

pokken wrote:
2 years ago
PR?
Congratulations! Thats very exciting news. I would ask for details about and when and where and stuff but you'll get tons of that so ill spare you. Just enjoy the moment and get to making it official in a time and arrangement that both of you are happy with, anyone else's interrogations or opinions don't matter a jot.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

pokken

I wrote an extension to the django import export library that allows exported fields to use natural key functions (a mechanism in django that lets you find database models by their unique attributes instead of their numeric id). It's useful for moving datasets between databases that may not be completely synchronized but maintaining relationships.

It's kind of simple but deceptively challenging to move internally consistent datasets around idempotently — so when you add a book in one app it detects the author already in the system vs creates a new instance.

Django has some ways to manage this stuff but it's really cumbersome and requires either lots of custom code or system engineer skill sets to manage or a ton of manual data entry.

Django is a web app framework.

Dragonlover

Post by Dragonlover » 2 years ago

Congrats @materpillar !

Dragonlover
All my decks are here

Ulka

Post by Ulka » 2 years ago

Congrats!!!!
Modern: Goryo's Gifts | Heartless Architect | Soul Sisters | MonoGreen Devotion
Pauper: Blackened Eggs | Zombies | Domain Zoo | Sultai Teachings | Jund Gardens

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

Congratulations @materpillar! May your union be long, fruitful, and worthy of song.

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 2 years ago

well, i did I've decided to sell the cards that aren't in my decks (not counting swords of x and y and steam vents), and before grading it comes to 600, so after grading, I'm guessing 500 or so.
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

materpillar
the caterpillar

Hermes_ wrote:
2 years ago
well, i did I've decided to sell the cards that aren't in my decks (not counting swords of x and y and steam vents), and before grading it comes to 600, so after grading, I'm guessing 500 or so.
I'm hesitant to pull the trigger on my collection because prices seem to just be going up. I'm curious to why you're cashing out now and not holding for another couple years.
Ulka wrote:
2 years ago
Congrats!!!!
Dragonlover wrote:
2 years ago
Congrats @materpillar !

Dragonlover
TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
2 years ago
Congratulations @materpillar! May your union be long, fruitful, and worthy of song.
Thanks everyone. :D
toctheyounger wrote:
2 years ago
Congratulations! Thats very exciting news. I would ask for details about and when and where and stuff but you'll get tons of that so ill spare you. Just enjoy the moment and get to making it official in a time and arrangement that both of you are happy with, anyone else's interrogations or opinions don't matter a jot.
We don't have any specific date/time stuff in mind yet. We're just starting to dig into the logistics of things now. Unfortunately, Covid is kind of going insane here in the US at the moment. We're trying to grapple with how that should effect our plans. For example, we met at a waltz at an anime convention and we both really enjoy ballroom dancing. We both really want that at our wedding but that's not a good idea at all currently. So we've got to ponder waiting and hoping Covid cleans up so we can have a more dreamy wedding or just accept we'll need to compromise a bunch of stuff. >:/

I'm happy to blah blah some about my relationship if people are curious. I don't know how much of that people are in the mood for. I do have some hilarious stories though. She and I are both fairly weird. It's pretty wonderful. XD

pokken

materpillar wrote:
2 years ago
I'm hesitant to pull the trigger on my collection because prices seem to just be going up. I'm curious to why you're cashing out now and not holding for another couple years.
This whole thing feels like a game of financial musical chairs to me at this point, I can't fault anyone for getting out at any point before the music stops :)

I'm hoping it holds out long enough I can reset the cost basis when my kid inherits my cards personally, but may change my mind if the rules ever change there. Might be the tax rules change or I emigrate or something.

toctheyounger

materpillar wrote:
2 years ago
Hermes_ wrote:
2 years ago
Ulka wrote:
2 years ago
Congrats!!!!
Dragonlover wrote:
2 years ago
Congrats @materpillar !

Dragonlover
TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
2 years ago
Thanks everyone. :D
toctheyounger wrote:
2 years ago
We don't have any specific date/time stuff in mind yet. We're just starting to dig into the logistics of things now. Unfortunately, Covid is kind of going insane here in the US at the moment. We're trying to grapple with how that should effect our plans. For example, we met at a waltz at an anime convention and we both really enjoy ballroom dancing. We both really want that at our wedding but that's not a good idea at all currently. So we've got to ponder waiting and hoping Covid cleans up so we can have a more dreamy wedding or just accept we'll need to compromise a bunch of stuff. >:/

I'm happy to blah blah some about my relationship if people are curious. I don't know how much of that people are in the mood for. I do have some hilarious stories though. She and I are both fairly weird. It's pretty wonderful. XD
Feel free to share. It's always nice to hear about people who love each other.

As for the minutiae, from experience just take it all in your stride and make it work for you, and no one else. Theres a lot of familial expectations and pressure that comes with planning a wedding. My best advice is to make it your own and stay strong to that. The more cooks get in the kitchen the messier things get. Obviously that can get pretty stressful, so just remember you're doing this for you and the person you love, no one else.

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

@materpillar I've been to a lot of weddings and I can only recommend one thing above all else: spring for the open bar. Buy bottom shelf across the board of course, but a liquor hangover is so much easier to handle than the devil's brew of wine & beer.

Hermes_

materpillar wrote:
2 years ago
Hermes_ wrote:
2 years ago
Well, tbh to get an Xbox series x and with stores moving to individual stocking as opposed to online ordering from a warehouse, it will be easier to get one, I was going to do it last year (HA HA before the holidays) but someone on here recommended I wait till after.

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 2 years ago

Just noticed the "MTGNexus is streaming live" thing up the top - might be my new comp not having adblock installed yet lol.

Kinda disappointed to not see familiar names playing - I recognize wildfire but he's more of a mod and posts pretty rarely.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

toctheyounger

DirkGently wrote:
2 years ago
Just noticed the "MTGNexus is streaming live" thing up the top - might be my new comp not having adblock installed yet lol.

Kinda disappointed to not see familiar names playing - I recognize wildfire but he's more of a mod and posts pretty rarely.
Nah I got a VPN on all my devices, it still shows up. I noticed it a couple weeks back.

Janky_as_heck

Post by Janky_as_heck » 2 years ago

DirkGently wrote:
2 years ago

Who would you like to see play?

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 2 years ago

Janky_as_heck wrote:
2 years ago
DirkGently wrote:
2 years ago

Who would you like to see play?
Well I'm not big on watching streamed mtg tbh (weirdly I like watching Hearthstone), but it'd be interesting to see people who post a lot on here play. Legend, 3drinks, TheAmericanSpirit, ISBPathfinder, lyonhaert, TheGildedGoose, SocorroTortoise, hyalopterouslemur, toctheyounger, Dunharrow, cryogen, onering, materpillar, tstorm823, Yatsufusa, pokken, hermes_, benjameenbear, kirkusjones, Hawk...other people I'm probably forgetting...I'm just scrolling through random threads looking for names I see a lot...so don't get upset if I didn't mention you please....pretty much anybody who's done at least a couple hundred posts in the commander section (outside of those that only post on particular decklists since I don't really look at those).
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy

See, I feel the same way about the MTGN podcast ngl. It's not that I have anything against them or how they do their show, but none of them are people I would associate as "premier" members of the site. I can't look at their bibliography of posts and threads on the site and really understand the nuances of their opinions or personalities as broadcast representatives of the community. %$#%, there should just be a podcast of 3drinks, Dirk, Legend, and Pokken (with a special guest each week!) arguing about speculative EDH rule changes and bans/unbans. That would a podcast that would register on the Richter scale and be measured in Scoville units.

pokken

So what I'm hearing is that unlike everywhere else in life you guys are really interested in hearing from the spammers.

I can tell you about all the hot singles in your location you should be playing with. Like Tithe.

Hermes_

pokken wrote:
2 years ago
So what I'm hearing is that unlike everywhere else in life you guys are really interested in hearing from the spammers.

I can tell you about all the hot singles in your location you should be playing with. Like Tithe.
But Chandra, Pyromaster is actually hot....in many ways lol

materpillar
the caterpillar

Hermes_ wrote:
2 years ago
pokken wrote:
2 years ago

But Chandra, Pyromaster is actually hot....in many ways lol
Fun fact: there's a guy at my LGS who had a serious crush on Chandra. Had several binder pages of her cards. He ended up marrying a red-head who looked startlingly similar to her. I still feel a touch weird about it but more power to him I suppose.

DirkGently wrote:
2 years ago

We had a group playing fairly regularly a year and some change ago when everything was first shutting down. There's a discord server that doesn't get used much (at least I haven't checked it recently).

I'd be down to get some games with folks though.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”