Gauntlet of Might deck

pokken
Answers: 2
Pronoun: he / him

Post by pokken » 2 years ago

I'd like to think of a deck to play my Gauntlet of Might in. I have experimented with a few red decks and they all pale in comparison to mono red Golos, so it's really hard to stick with it.

Anyone got a good idea for a deck that doesn't need to play so much artifact ramp, that can play enough mountains to benefit from Gauntlet and the other mana doublers, and isn't just a one trick pony? How do you...do stuff?

Tags:

Dragoon
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Dragoon » 2 years ago

I don't have any idea off the top of my head but it might be worth it to look into mono-red decks focusing on Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle, maybe?

pokken

Dragoon wrote:
2 years ago
I don't have any idea off the top of my head but it might be worth it to look into mono-red decks focusing on Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle, maybe?
Might work but it's just such a struggle to get mono red to get any extra land drops lol :) It's basically...
and not much else

Crazy Monkey
Arcane Themes

Post by Crazy Monkey » 2 years ago

I think monored with heavy land and color requirements make sense. Torbran, Thane of Red Fell punisher/burn with punishment effects like Manabarbs and Pyrohemia is where I run mine. It is a fairly limited scope deck, so I'm not sure it's the deck you're looking for.
Commander Decks

Kemba | Kytheon | Talrand | Unesh | Teferi | Geth | primer Zada | Krenko | Torbran | Patron Orochi | Ghalta | Gargos | Medomai | The Count | Xenagos | Nikya | Jaheira, Artisan | Trostani | Athreos | Jarad | Ivy | Nin | Krark & Sakashima | Feather | Osgir | Gisela | Roon | Chulane | Sydri | Ertai | Mairsil | Vial & Malcolm | Prossh | Marath | Marisi | Syr Gwyn | Riku | Riku | Animar | Ghave | Tasigur | Muldrotha | Rayami | Zedruu | Yidris | Kynaios & Tiro | Saskia | Tymna & Kydele | Atraxa | Akiri & Silas | Sisay | Ur Dragon | Bridge | Horde | Najeela | Genju | Traxos

pokken

Crazy Monkey wrote:
2 years ago
I think monored with heavy land and color requirements make sense. Torbran, Thane of Red Fell punisher/burn with punishment effects like Manabarbs and Pyrohemia is where I run mine. It is a fairly limited scope deck, so I'm not sure it's the deck you're looking for.
It's very frustrating how bad the torbran decks are when he's dead to me, so I'm not super hot on that. Good thoughts though.

I wish there were a red commander that just...drew me a bunch of cards in a nice clean way, that wasn't super vulnerable to removal, didn't need a massive buildaround, and didn't really want a ton of mana rocks to ramp out fast like Etali, Primal Storm.

If Knollspine Dragon was a commander? :P

Sinis

Post by Sinis » 2 years ago

pokken wrote:
2 years ago
Anyone got a good idea for a deck that doesn't need to play so much artifact ramp, that can play enough mountains to benefit from Gauntlet and the other mana doublers, and isn't just a one trick pony? How do you...do stuff?
I mean, it's probably good in any mono-red pile. I played it in Purphoros, Bronze-Blooded. That might be a one-trick pony, though.

I guess I would try Lathliss, Dragon Queen tribal dragons. Dragons really need a lot of mana, and failing everything else, Lathliss herself is a mana dump. If not that, Kumano, Master Yamabushi is decent removal if you have a ton of mana. Obligatory "You'll need as many analogues as possible" statement: Caged Sun, Gauntlet of Power, Extraplanar Lens (I'm sure you, pokken, know this, but for anyone else reading....)

I think the truth of the matter is, it's only one or two mana shy of being something like Mana Reflection or Mirari's Wake. It's not actually that amazing (though, I mean, I really really like my copy?). My point being, we don't really build decks around Mirari's Wake (and only sometimes do we put particular cards like Cascading Cataracts to interact with Mana Reflection). They're more of a throw-in.

pokken

So the nice thing about the gauntlet/sun/gauntlet set is that they are also anthems, so I think going smaller and wider might be useful? The problem is then you want to be able to use that mana.

I wonder if Kari Zev, Skyship Raider might be worth thinking about? Or maybe Rionya, Fire Dancer? Or Varchild, Betrayer of Kjeldor or Valduk, Keeper of the Flame type stuff?

Not sure how to start building those things tbh lol :)

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 2 years ago

Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

pokken

Serenade wrote:
2 years ago
Subira, Tulzidi Caravanner leading Raging Goblin.dec
That sounds just about perfect tbh. Good idea!

Treamayne

Post by Treamayne » 2 years ago

pokken wrote:
2 years ago
I've been happy running Gauntlet of Might in my Homura, Human Ascendant // Homura's Essence battlecry/goad deck on MTGO (not always the keywords - though they are represented - but effects to scale by number of attackers and to send attacks elsewhere). Dash creatures also do well to avoid board wipes, but keep the deck flowing. The deck has also run Márton Stromgald in the command zone occasionally, but he is much harder to protect. Still in the 99 though.

Ghirapur Orrery has been an all-star (when it sticks a turn or two) as much for the extra land drop as for the draw-three when hellbent. It can also synergize well with Bottled Cloister, if you are willing to keep instant-speed interaction as activated abilities rather than cards in hand. Red also has a surprising number of curses that add to these themes.
V/R

Treamayne

Sinis

Post by Sinis » 2 years ago

pokken wrote:
2 years ago
So the nice thing about the gauntlet/sun/gauntlet set is that they are also anthems, so I think going smaller and wider might be useful? The problem is then you want to be able to use that mana.
So, how about Pashalik Mons? It can go wide and is a mana dump (with bonus damage on top). Plus Battle Cry Goblin, Cavalier of Flame, Moonveil Dragon and maybe others, I suppose?

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 2 years ago

Inferno of the Star Mounts?

My fav mono-red is Zirilan of the Claw of course, where I run my gauntlet. Big mana can make a big difference when swinging with Dragon Tyrant, Hellkite Charger, etc.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

duducrash
Still Learning

Post by duducrash » 2 years ago

A bit weird, but there is a bunch of red cards that create creatures at combat or when attack Legion Warboss Goblin Rabblemaster Hanweir Garrison Goblin Traprunner , Flamerush Rider Battle Cry Goblin Krenko, Tin Street Kingpin Delina, Wild Mage Kari Zev, Skyship Raider and Tilonalli's Summoner the Myriad effect . Or Overall value Captain Lannery Storm I know mono red is the place to be, but Isshin, Two Heavens as One can helm the deck and you shift towards red and still have access to the doubling effect, token doublers in Anointed Procession .

edit: Kari Zev token is legendary lol

PrimevalCommander

Post by PrimevalCommander » 2 years ago

Mono red Najeela, the Blade-Blossom warriors! Goes wide. Rewards combat. And you don't seem to have a problem with ignoring 5c activation abilities. Good with Hellkite Charger

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

Post by Lifeless » 2 years ago

The deck I use my Gauntlet in is Grenzo, Havoc Raiser's Goading Goblins. It's pretty self explanatory - get in with Grenzo and some other small gobbos, use your ramp to steal their stuff and make more gobbos. You can also include the other usual suspect combo pieces for R and\or Krenko nonsense to improve you late game.

pokken

Lifeless wrote:
2 years ago
The deck I use my Gauntlet in is Grenzo, Havoc Raiser's Goading Goblins. It's pretty self explanatory - get in with Grenzo and some other small gobbos, use your ramp to steal their stuff and make more gobbos. You can also include the other usual suspect combo pieces for R and\or Krenko nonsense to improve you late game.
I tried a Grenzo deck at some point but I was too reluctant to add all the cheap goblins and it didn't work out. Maybe worth revisiting at some point, though I think I might like Subira's generic card draw more, assuming I can find enough ways to abuse the graveyard with it.

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 2 years ago

The only hero worthy of the gauntlet is Kumano, Master Yamabushi. Throw on some deathtouch and set the board ablaze!
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

materpillar
the caterpillar

Post by materpillar » 2 years ago

pokken wrote:
2 years ago

I'd like to think of a deck to play my Gauntlet of Might in. I have experimented with a few red decks and they all pale in comparison to mono red Golos, so it's really hard to stick with it.

I mean… golos is gonna golos. That's a pretty bad stick to measure by commanders by.

I think Jaya Ballard, Task Mage fits your bill fairly well. You can build a fairly controlling list around her. She doesn't really do stuff herself but helps keep other peoples annoying utility commanders off the battlefield. That stalls out the game and let's you hit a lot of natural land drops. Then you can stick some mana doublers to go big and Comet Storm some folks. Jaya also likes a lot of mana herself. Being able to drop her, equip some lifelink equipment, give her haste and then Inferno the board is really solid against creature based decks.

I had a bit of a Squee, Goblin Nabob secret commander (finding him with various goblin tutors) to use a wide array of rummages as card advantage. I also played a ton of stack interaction with Red Elemental Blast and Reverberate effects.

You can throw together a fairly solid mono-R control draw-go list.

Also, Pyrohemia is a card.

vandertroll
The Pontiac Bandit

Post by vandertroll » 2 years ago

I run it in my Syr Carah, the Bold burn/slinger deck because I don't have the expensive fast mana. I'd say it works quite well, it helps the commander to go off faster.
Ertai, Wizard Adept counts as a Wizard.

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 2 years ago

pokken wrote:
2 years ago

I wonder if Kari Zev, Skyship Raider might be worth thinking about? Or maybe Rionya, Fire Dancer? Or Varchild, Betrayer of Kjeldor or Valduk, Keeper of the Flame type stuff?

Not sure how to start building those things tbh lol :)
Coming from Kari Zev, I moved into Rograkh + (Kediss at the time) since the kobold offers what you want from Kari, and even comes with a buddy too, but now it costs less mana. I suspect Jeska PW is the kobold's BFF with it's ability to triple damage (though Kediss making your kobold into a big Hydra Omnivore is surely worth exploring?
pokken wrote:
2 years ago
Serenade wrote:
2 years ago
Subira, Tulzidi Caravanner leading Raging Goblin.dec
That sounds just about perfect tbh. Good idea!
Worth noting, gauntlet is actively bad in Subira as it turns most of the draw engine off. Learn from my mistakes, don't combine these cards.

rogerandover

Post by rogerandover » 2 years ago

pokken wrote:
2 years ago
I wish there were a red commander that just...drew me a bunch of cards in a nice clean way, that wasn't super vulnerable to removal, didn't need a massive buildaround, and didn't really want a ton of mana rocks to ramp out fast like Etali, Primal Storm.
Enter stage: everyones favorite dockhand Squee, Goblin Nabob.

Squee's definitely not vulnerable to removal - you actual want him in the bin. Maybe the draw-aspect isn't as clean as you like but reds ability to loot makes Squee into pure card advantage, and recent years has given alot of recursion from the grave, so Goblin Lore and Control of the Court is perfectly playable aswell.

I'm not sure if you need to buildaround with Squee but my deck is all about stylish kills, maybe a Lightning Bolt will ricochet a bunch of times while it builds up and suddenly kills someone.

Anyway, it's my favorite deck, even though it's a bit straight forward. But the surprise people get when I blow the whole world up, never gets tiresome.

Crazy Monkey
Arcane Themes

Post by Crazy Monkey » 2 years ago

I just wanted to revisit this thread with another (bad) idea that hybridized this topic, and monored golos, with the ongoing thread on Ruination.

Mono-mountain Osgir, the Reconstructor using From the Ashes and mana rocks to power up Goblin Charbelcher(s) would use the gauntlet(s) well as a medium power level deck. It's been stuck in my head for a bit, and I might have to build it.
Commander Decks

Kemba | Kytheon | Talrand | Unesh | Teferi | Geth | primer Zada | Krenko | Torbran | Patron Orochi | Ghalta | Gargos | Medomai | The Count | Xenagos | Nikya | Jaheira, Artisan | Trostani | Athreos | Jarad | Ivy | Nin | Krark & Sakashima | Feather | Osgir | Gisela | Roon | Chulane | Sydri | Ertai | Mairsil | Vial & Malcolm | Prossh | Marath | Marisi | Syr Gwyn | Riku | Riku | Animar | Ghave | Tasigur | Muldrotha | Rayami | Zedruu | Yidris | Kynaios & Tiro | Saskia | Tymna & Kydele | Atraxa | Akiri & Silas | Sisay | Ur Dragon | Bridge | Horde | Najeela | Genju | Traxos

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”