What are your favorite cards from 2020?

Mookie
Answers: 48
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Mookie » 3 years ago

2020 is (finally) ending, and I have somewhat mixed feelings about that. It was, theoretically, the 'Year of Commander'... but due to the pandemic, I've found myself playing waaay less commander. Simultaneously, we've had more cards come out than ever before, for both commander specifically and supplemental sets in general. As a result, I suspect I've let a lot of sweet cards slip through my radar.

So, what are people's favorite new cards from the past year? What cards should people have on their radar that they may have missed?

For reference, the sets that have come out this year are:
  • Core Set 2021
  • Theros Beyond Death
  • Ikoria
  • Commander 2020 / Ikoria Commander
  • Zendikar Rising (and Zendikar Rising Commander decks)
  • Commander Legends
  • Unsanctioned
  • Jumpstart
  • (also, Double Masters for reprints)

pokken
Answers: 2
Pronoun: he / him

Post by pokken » 3 years ago

Thassa, Deep-Dwelling hands down for me. I liked a ton of designs this year but that card just fits like a glove in my favorite deck - Ephara, God of the Polis

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 3 years ago

Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

Hawk
Slayer of Threads

Post by Hawk » 3 years ago

Love the thread! Like you, this "year of Commander" has had the unfortunate timing of being during a Pandemic, and as a result after an initial blast of play around TBD (seriously I logged a lot of games post-release of that set), I effectively have barely played for the other 9 months of the year. Worse, a combination of lack of play, lack of funds, and lack of interest (spurred by product overload and the sour taste of The Walking Dead fiasco) mean I bought a fair amount of TBD and then almost nothing until Commander Legends (which I got like 9 packs of for Christmas and have barely played with yet). So a lot of cards I love this year will be cards I love in theory, minus Theros.

A few standouts:

Reprints:
Arcane Signet - I am grateful that after printing this in the Brawl decks last year, it got a ton of reprints to drive its price down to something closer to sane.

Path of Ancestry - See above but even moreso; this thing dropped from like 6-7 or whatever (too much for me to seek out more than my two copies I owned) to a buck, allowing me to own a playset. Given how much Tribal I play that's a godsend, although this is a card I'm excited to test more even in non-tribal decks as a triland that also lets me scry whenever I cast my Commander (meaning that as long as my commander isn't a Planeswalker, this ought to be strictly better than a Nomad Outpost or Rakdos Guildgate and comparable to a Triome or Temple). Previously, the price made this too rich for a player like me to justify ever running this outside of dedicated 2+ color tribal decks, but now I can get a little more experimental with it.

New Cards:
Underworld Breach - I haven't been able to test it a ton, but so far I've been impressed. At worse, this is a red Regrowth but it enables so many durdly nonsense plays. It's a great card, and one I'm pumped to playtest more. Not really a hidden gem - it's one of the top 5 most played cards from Theros: Beyond Death that isn't a reprint - but it has cemented itself as a card that's worthy of that hype and adoration, and it's just a fun and interesting new effect for Red.

Heliod, Sun-Crowned
- I want to rep my boy! On EDHREC's "The 600" series, Heliod was flagged by the esteemed author as being good, but "not what people want in monowhite", and destined to not break 600 decks on EDHRECs within his first year of existence. I posted to say:
Hawk wrote:I think you are wrong on Heliod - as a Commander who self-fuels Dawn of Hope and Well of Lost Dreams, easily fuels Tome of Legends, and highly incentivizes a "soul-sister"/token build to utilize alongside Mentor of the Meek, I think he sort of sneakily helps white's draw engine problems. And the combos, plus the raw power, plus all the angles - I think he'll crack 600 and I will go further and say that he'll displace Sram as most popular Mono-W commander. I do think caution is fair and I would be shocked if he cracks 1000 and puts mono-W on the map the same way that Feather did Boros, but having had the opportunity to test him our at a local Commander night last night the dude is the real deal.
Now, I may not be right about Heligod 2.0 replacing Sram as white's most played Commander (although as of today, he's within 88 decks!) but Heliod did indeed become the 2nd-most played white Commander and break "The 600" club. Sure enough, Heliod has proven a great head to Monowhite Lifegain decks, monowhite combo decks (where one can use Enlightened Tutor, Recruiter of the Guard, and Ranger of Eos to easily and quickly go find Walking Ballista, Triskelion, or Aetherflux Reservoir), and even a reasonable head to STAX and Hatebear decks as a cheap, resilient piece of inevitability. My own take on the deck is a terror of our local meta, attacking on a ton of angles with ruthless efficiency. He's just a great card to enable a fun archetype and make it seriously competitive, and I think he'll just keep going up as WotC keeps trying to "fix" white in EDH.

Soul-Guide Lantern: This has become my #1 favorite graveyard hate piece, and I've happily played it over and above Relic of Progenitus and Tormod's Crypt. While it doesn't cycle AND nuke, like Relic, it is asymmetrical which is huge and is so while also hitting all opponents (unlike Crypt) and having the option to cycle and to just surgically remove one obnoxious card while we wait for the right moment to crack. I've been really impressed and pleased with it so far, and while it doesn't replace Nihil Spellbomb and Bojuka Bog for B/x decks, for decks without skulls it is a great little utility piece.

War Room: This is the kind of help to monocolored decks (especially monowhite, red, and green) that I was looking for. 4 and 1 life to draw a card is still a bit steep, but in the land slot it makes for a great improvement to prior options. I'm loving my copy and want to acquire way more.

Partners: I want to close talking about the mechanic, rather than any one card. I was intensely skeptical of partners being such a focus of Commander Legends, fearing it would re-usher in an era of homogenization and "good stuff.dec" for EDH. However, so far in playing around with partners both physically (with Jeska + Faliths and Miara + Numa) and in theorcrafting (with Malcolm + Breeches and Rebbec + Glacian), they do the entire opposite. I adore how much more creativity and flexibility they offer a deck's gameplan. For instance, because Miara is "insurance against wipes and a draw engine" and Numa is "a mana sink and win condition", the deck gets to diversify more and run more fun niche cards and more interactions. It also in play improves the deck function, saving on mulligan time and increasing the number of "playable hands" by having an effective extra card. I look forward to tinkering more with partners, and will gladly accept more being printed - it was a good mechanic and a great idea.

It's too soon to judge too many other cards - I simply haven't played with them yet. I will give a few cards that have underwhelmed, though:

Whirlwind Denial - I wanted this to be good, as ability counters feel important, but it's just too narrow. It fails to break combos (they just do it again), and it's too unreliable to counter spells. I tested it in a lot of decks, but it is in no decks now.

Bala Ged Recovery // Bala Ged Sanctuary and the other MDFCs: It's very early, so I will keep testing, but my initial testing is that these are mostly not good enough. If I need a land, I should run a land. If I need a Regrowth, I should just run Regrowth. There are a lot fewer decks than I initially believed that want a card that is "either/or". Psychologically, these have the old "Kavu Titan" problem that makes them worse in practice than a cycling land. For those unfamiliar, MaRo often tells a story of stepping out to do some playtesting in Invasion. He won a ton of games, back-to-back, with an early prototype of a Fires of Yavimaya they were testing. Then, one of the other designers pointed out that the Grizzly Bears in his deck were supposed to be Kavu Titan. MaRo proceeded to lose several games in a row with this knowledge, because now he felt compelled to hold his titans for value instead of playing out the 2/2 he needed to win the game. I know, in theory, that I shouldn't be holding a situational spell when I'm about to miss a land drop...but in practice, it feels bad to lay these as lands man. I dunno, like I said I literally just started playing with them after getting some for the holidays, but so far I think they're a lot less powerful and universal than I had originally thought.

Myllior
Answers: 1

Post by Myllior » 3 years ago

The six Sanctums from Core 21. While there were plenty of notable additions to the format this year, nothing compares to the absolute joy and excitement I felt when the Sanctums were spoiled. I suspect it will be a long time before the next card(s) whose preview alone makes me feel ecstatic.

Toshi
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Post by Toshi » 3 years ago

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 3 years ago

The pandemic has really diminished my enthusiasm for new sets and cards. I know WotC can't just stop, but they're selling game pieces to a game I can't currently play. Having said that, I did get a few games in this year, and as far as I'm concerned, worthy lands will always rank high. Accordingly my favorites were the completed Battlebond dual cycle from Commander Legends, as well as the triomes from Ikoria. Not the sexiest picks, I know.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

JWK
Elder Thing

Post by JWK » 3 years ago

There were a lot of great cards printed this year. Some of my favorites, in no particular order:
Terror of the Peaks - Warstorm Surge stapled to an aggressively-costed flying beater. So good.
Chandra's Incinerator - When your opponents get hurt outside combat, this kills their critters. Plus it's a serious, trampling beatstick with built-in cost reduction.
Garruk's Uprising - card draw + all your stuff gets trample. Yes, please.
Kediss, Emberclaw Familiar - He's so cute, and he makes some commanders so much deadlier. My favorite Commander Legends card, by a wide margin.
Sublime Epiphany - this card does everything but bring you a pizza. So much versatility in one card.
Teferi's Ageless Insight - Yes, Alhammarret's Archive was there first, but I still love it.
Luminous Broodmoth. Auto-recursion that gives your returning creatures evasion. Seems good.
Of One Mind - In the decks that want this, you draw two cards for U. So elegant, such good value.
War Room and Bonders' Enclave - Yeah, drawing more cards is good. These lands rock!
Ruinous Ultimatum - Take that, everyone else!! Zurgo and Queen Marchesa say hi!
Liliana's Standard Bearer - Whether post-boardwipe or after you have sac'd a ton of stuff, this is amazing.
Village Rites - Strictly better Altar's Reap, plus amazing flavor/story throwback to Innistrad.
Liesa, Shroud of Dusk - My second favorite legendary out of Commander Legends. She has been amazing in Karlov, and I will soon be building a deck with her in charge. So, so good!!
Skyclave Apparition - This is premium removal. Add bounce/blink/recursion shenanigans and oh boy!
Dryad of the Ilysian Grove - wonderful mana fixing + play extra lands. What's not to like?
Szat's Will - Mass edict effect + mass grave hate + mass token creation. Yes, please!
Akroma's Will - if you have a significant board, this will win you games, and it's aggressively costed... or, as an instant, it's a great way to respond to someone's attempted alpha strike and come out much the better for it.
Soul-Guide Lantern - top-notch grave hate.
Heliod's Intervention - wanna selectively blow up a lot of stuff at once? Oh, yeah!
Keeper of the Accord - It's still a "catch up" card more than actually getting ahead, but it's a definite move in the right direction in terms of white card design.
Azure Fleet Admiral - I love the elegant design of this guy. I'm the Monarch. Sure, you can take it from me, but I can get it back at will.
Emberwilde Captain - Sure, you can take Monarch from me. But it'll cost you!

Honorable mention: The Ikoria triomes. Fetchable tri-lands. So, so good. I hope this cycle is completed soon.
I have 68 active EDH decks, with more in progress. I don't consider this a problem. Do you?
I am also one of those barbarians who enjoys winning by turning creatures sideways.

Mookie
Answers: 48

Post by Mookie » 3 years ago

Guess I'll also chip in with my thoughts. As mentioned, I haven't played much EDH this year. However, my 'cards to get' list is currently sitting at ~200 unique cards. A fair number of those are reprints, but lots of new stuff too.

In terms of reprints, I'm happiest with Oracle of Mul Daya and Stoneforge Mystic... although they're both above my threshold for what I'm willing to spend, so will need a few more reprints first. That said, Solemn Simulacrum, Kessig Wolf Run, and Thought Vessel getting reprints have also pleased me greatly.

In terms of new cards... I think Averna, the Chaos Bloom is the new commander I'm most interested in building at some point, although Tayam, Luminous Enigma is also in consideration. Apex Devastator is the single card whose design makes me smile the most. Keeper of the Accord makes me most optimistic that White is finally starting to get some help (although it really will need a lot more). Skyclave Apparition is my pick for best new staple.

....I'm tempted to make a separate thread for 'least favorite cards from 2020' but I suspect that pillar of salt would envelop the entire website. :P

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 3 years ago

There's been a lot of great stuff, but my favourites off the top of my head:

Purphoros, Bronze-Blooded - seriously, such a great commander for just fun games. He's pretty strong, and just endlessly fun.
Blim, Comedic Genius - Weird Rakdos donate fellow just drew me in as soon as I saw him. I have to build him, it isn't an option.
Liesa, Shroud of Dusk - A little spiky, but generally well balanced and interesting design.
Tayam, Luminous Enigma - I've loved playing my build of this cute lil' fellow. Enjoyable toolbox commander that can combo, but doesn't need to.
Nevinyrral, Urborg Tyrant - Just so good and flavourful.
Terror of the Peaks - Cards is crazy good, and fun.
Teferi's Ageless Insight - It's every bit as good as it looks.
Liliana's Standard Bearer - Total sleeper card that's just crazy strong.

By contrast if there were one card I would wish scoured from the annals of 2020 and never be referenced, mentioned, or played again, Kinnan, Bonder Prodigy would be it. Its everything I hate about Simic and the pushed designs it seems to get by nature these days.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 3 years ago

Oh man, I can't believe I didn't mention Ram Through! My green fatties deck has made good use of it, and has knocked players out entirely. Very rad common.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

NZB2323

Post by NZB2323 » 3 years ago

Ghen, Arcanum Weaver was my favorite card that came out this year. I built a deck around him, we finally have a red enchantment commander, and he's such a unique and cool commander without being overpowered.
Current Decks
rg Morophon, the infinite Kavu Eowyn, human tribal Legolas, voltron control Wb Tymna/Ravos cleric tribal Neheb, Chicago Bulls tribal Ug Edric pauper

Retired Decks
Edgar Markov Kaalia, angel board wipes Ghen, prison Captain Sisay Ub Nymris, draw go Sarulf, voltron control Niv-Mizzet, combo Winota Sidisi, Zombie Tribal

JWK
Elder Thing

toctheyounger wrote:
3 years ago
By contrast if there were one card I would wish scoured from the annals of 2020 and never be referenced, mentioned, or played again, Kinnan, Bonder Prodigy would be it. Its everything I hate about Simic and the pushed designs it seems to get by nature these days.
Yeah, Kinnan is just terrible on every level,

I also despise Jeweled Lotus. Commander Legends is so, so good overall, but that one is just not what the format needs.
I have 68 active EDH decks, with more in progress. I don't consider this a problem. Do you?
I am also one of those barbarians who enjoys winning by turning creatures sideways.

toctheyounger

JWK wrote:
3 years ago
toctheyounger wrote:
3 years ago
Yeah, Kinnan is just terrible on every level,

I also despise Jeweled Lotus. Commander Legends is so, so good overall, but that one is just not what the format needs.
Yeah it's a bit tone deaf in terms of design, and general existence. I don't begrudge its existence personally, but the format would be better without its presence.

MeowZeDung

Post by MeowZeDung » 3 years ago

Fun thread. Also, it kind of blew my mind that Eldraine was from 2019. It seems more recent to me. I don't know how 2020 can be 594 months long AND a 2019 set still seems new to me, but it does.

Top performer for me, not even remotely close: Underworld Breach.

Honorable mention overperformers: Fierce Guardianship, Flawless Maneuver.

Card that most often makes me giggle like an overjoyed small child: Whirlwind of Thought.

Reprints that make me say, "Good WotC!": filterlands, Arcane Signet, Land Tax, Stoneforge Mystic, Scroll Rack, and Azusa, Lost but Seeking.

Reprints that I was excited about far more than most people: Idyllic Tutor, Sakashima the Impostor.

Sneaky good, fly-under-the-radar card: Silundi Vision // Silundi Isle.

Rock freaking solid but not necessarily exciting: Raugrin Triome.

"Why aren't more people playing this?" card: Confounding Conundrum.

"Why am I not playing these yet?" cards: Felidar Retreat, Akroma's Will.

"I wish this card got there, but it doesn't quite" aka most 4+ cmc sweet enchantments, but in 2020 specifically: Teferi's Ageless Insight :please:

Favorite non-Kykar related cards: Rielle, the Everwise, Vadrok, Apex of Thunder, Shabraz, the Skyshark, Brallin, Skyshark Rider, Ominous Seas, Glasspool Mimic // Glasspool Shore, Purphoros, Bronze-Blooded, Tayam, Luminous Enigma, War Room, and Bonders' Enclave.

"Yay for Boros": Winota, Joiner of Forces, Reyav, Master Blacksmith.

Sweet commons: Forbidden Friendship, Goblin Wizardry, Llanowar Visionary, Ram Through, Hunter's Edge, Stern Dismissal, Lofty Denial.

Lol factor/meme build arounds I'll get to eventually: Krark, the Thumbless, Rograkh, Son of Rohgahh, Sakashima of a Thousand Faces, Toggo, Goblin Weaponsmith, Shark Typhoon.

"Wizards... what in the actual f-": Kinnan, Bonder Prodigy, Jeweled Lotus, Nyxbloom Ancient, Dryad of the Ilysian Grove, Uro, Titan of Nature's Wrath, Elder Gargaroth, and (yes, even though I play it) Fierce Guardianship.
Kykar primer and other active decks (click!)

Ginuqu
Pronoun: they / them

Post by Ginuqu » 3 years ago

all theoretical, I barely played and haven't bought any Commander Legends or Jumpstart (and not much Ikoria or M21, now that I think about it!)

coolest Legendaries:

Tormod, the Desecrator - Fave card of the year; not OP but a big threat that pairs well many of my fave cards from the past eg Golgari Thug, Spinning Darkness et al. Ignoring the word "Partner" entirely, strikes me as a fine solo Commander?? (Aphemia the Cacophony is in a similar vein to Tormod but a little too strict to be great, and it's cooler to have a four power creature on call)
Drana, the Last Bloodchief - I know I have a type! Cards with manaless inevitability abilities that pair well with a stuffed graveyard are my thing.
Erebos, Bleak-Hearted - In the back of my mind I'm still building a Commander deck despite sulking and he's one of the linchpins.
Miara, Thorn of the Glade - I think she's got game way beyond just jamming every Altar in your deck
Subira, Tulzidi Caravanner - Her having haste blows my mind. Similar to Gallia of the Endless Dance but my collection of green-producing land is really bad so I can barely look at her
Zurzoth, Chaos Rider - I love the "first" clause on this for difficulty and this is a cute way to promote attacking the whole table that not many other commanders offer; there are bigger, less subtle attack effects out there but, in a strange way, Zurzoth is helping everyone and I like that dynamic

coolest toy: Manascape Refractor - just an entire spellbook on its own. Feels like it was designed in Mirage and just printed today.

(random toys I like the look of:
Call of the Death-Dweller Cryptic Trilobite Demonic Embrace Elspeth's Nightmare Footfall Crater Gravebreaker Lamia Hagra Mauling // Hagra Broodpit Hateful Eidolon Hooded Blightfang Kazuul's Fury // Kazuul's Cliffs Lavabrink Floodgates Lightning Phoenix Liliana's Standard Bearer Malakir Rebirth // Malakir Mire Nahiri's Lithoforming Nesting Grounds Nightmare Shepherd Nyx Lotus Ox of Agonas Relic Vial Roiling Vortex Shadowspear Silversmote Ghoul Skyclave Relic Spellpyre Phoenix Surly Badgersaur Underworld Breach Valakut Awakening // Valakut Stoneforge Village Rites Woe Strider)

last note: Fireblade Charger isn't remotely a multiplayer thing, I just wanna note how packed with stuff it is for one mana. Wanna run a 60 card casual deck with four of these, four Goblin Gaveleers and see what happens
sorta mad at magic right now

materpillar
the caterpillar

Post by materpillar » 3 years ago

The card I was most excited about this year was Altar of the Pantheon. Not kidding, turns out it's really hard to find on theme mana rocks/ramp for my changeling tribal deck. That was also before 2020 turned into quite a dumpsterfire so I was a bit more hype about stuff.

My favorite from flavor side of things is easily Rograkh, Son of Rohgahh. I also like Sakashima of a Thousand Faces because I've always wanted to build a Mirror Gallery deck. I also really really like the design of Bladegriff Prototype.

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

Post by Lifeless » 3 years ago

Even though I haven't played any MTG since Feb I was pretty hyped for a number of things this year. Most of that hype has died but I'm still really happy to have new border foils of U Braids and Godo. As for new cards I think Liliana's Standard Bearer is by a large margin the best roleplayer I added to any of my decks this year, while Obeka, Brute Chronologist is the commander I'm most looking forward to working on next.

*Edit - 1 quick slop for 2020 is the lack of a reprint for Titania, Protector of Argoth. In a year where we got both Commander Legends and Commander Collection: Green I feel like I'll never get to have this pretty lady in foil.
Last edited by Lifeless 3 years ago, edited 2 times in total.

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 3 years ago

Hard to say since I played so little paper magic.

I really like the Triomes.
Sublime Epiphany is really cool.
Ancient Greenwarden and Ashaya, Soul of the Wild are really fun. I also like the way they combo together to make a Panharmonicon for creatures.
Torbran, Thane of Red Fell is really interesting too.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

toctheyounger

MeowZeDung wrote:
3 years ago
"Why am I not playing these yet?" cards: Felidar Retreat,
Ooh, I forgot about Felidar Retreat. That card is nuts.

JWK
Elder Thing

toctheyounger wrote:
3 years ago
MeowZeDung wrote:
3 years ago
"Why am I not playing these yet?" cards: Felidar Retreat,
Ooh, I forgot about Felidar Retreat. That card is nuts.
Yeah, I forgot to mention that one as well, and yeah, it's bonkers.

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 3 years ago

Think I've gotta go with my boy Lurrus of the Dream-Den.

Cool idea, super fun to play with, the whole mechanic drastically shook up my deckbuilding. Plus he's my companion - hell yeah, that's adorable.

Best of all, he gives just as little of a %$#% about the health of those other garbo constructed formats as I do. :P
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 3 years ago

Given that I play a lot of white I guess its no surprise that my list is kind of white cards.
  • Fierce Guardianship - this might be the card of the year for me. Its a bit annoying that this is even a card because its such a must have that it isn't even close. The price tag for this card unfortunately never really let up as its primarily been more than the cost of intended price of the deck its within. It really annoys me a bit that the rest of this cycle doesn't feel anywhere near remotely as powerful as this card.
  • Heliod's Intervention - This is probably very close to a white staple in my mind. Its not build around and its incredibly powerful. I see myself including it in most multicolored decks as well. Its true that it doesn't exile like Return to Dust but it scales up to more targets in a way that I find very favorable.
  • Drannith Magistrate - This might at this point be the best hatebear for this format at this point. It likely will die horribly and incredibly fast but for those decks that are too proactive it can be a real pain in the ass if not answered.
  • Archon of Coronation / Court of Grace - I think that my view of monarch in most decks isn't that positive but there are some mono white decks that are INCREDIBLY defensive and in those I think monarch is really incredible. I think that mono white potentially plays monarch the best of all setups given that have both evasive and defensive capabilities not to mention a real lack of card draw.
  • Cycling Fetchable Tri Lands - In 3+ color decks I think these don't get enough credit. I am all for not running many ETB tapped lands but I think that these lands go a long ways for mana fixing. There are often turns where you won't be using every single mana and timing a fetchland for when you can get one of these is really good. The only downside is that only half of the three colors have these.
  • Soul-Guide Lantern - Its nice in that you can use it in decks that have recursion themselves. I often fought between wanting the effect of Relic of Progenitus but having graveyard tactics. Its still a touch weaker in that it doesn't have a tap over time ability and you either get grave hate or cantrip but I think it fits a lot of decks where I had reluctance to run Relic in. Its also a great second add in addition to Relic in some lists.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

gsgfdf

Post by gsgfdf » 3 years ago

Such a weird year, last time I actually played a game was back in early March. Since all the other 2020 additions to my decks are still untested, I must go with the only one that I got to play with: Nyxbloom Ancient. I cast this and Kiki-Jiki, Mirror Breaker following a double cascade from Maelstrom Wanderer and let me tell you, tapping a single land for nine mana just makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside!

Sinis

Post by Sinis » 3 years ago

Despite the glut of cards this year, not many really topped my list outside of Commander Legends.

Mazemind Tome: Generally speaking, I usually get to barely activate this four times. It's not great, but, it's a nice option for white and red.
Mangara, the Diplomat: It's somewhat conditional, but it signals a nice change in design direction from WotC. White needs draw, and it might look like this.
Erebos's Intervention: Just a solid roleplayer in black.
Pharika's Libation/Feed the Swarm: We're inching towards real enchantment destruction in colours that aren't white and green, and I believe this is good and healthy for the game.
Liesa, Shroud of Dusk: Finally, the fourth Innistrad Angel arrives. I'm happy the cycle is completed, but, it's also a fairly interesting general to play with.
Commander's Plate: I really like designs that favour fewer colours. So often, it's overwhelmingly advantageous to play more colours rather than fewer, but, some designs push in the other direction. Nykthos was (perhaps) the first of these, but this one is pretty neat since protection is so powerful. Anyway, I like to see this kind of design.
War Room: Same as design considerations as Commander's Plate. War Room surely sees play in every monowhite, monored, and Boros deck.
More Partners: I like almost every one of these. I like that it might encourage diversity and realistically, nothing here is broken. Also, some huge lore favourites for me, like Sengir and Tevesh Szat.
Sakashima of a Thousand Faces, Akroma, Vision of Ixidor, Kamahl, Heart of Krosa: Okay, other partners aside, these guys really hit a good spot for me. I've played both OG Akroma and Sakashima as generals, and have often laid plans for Kamahl, Fist of Krosa. I really like that there are options to play big mana-intensive finishers (or solidly weird cards like Sakashima), but also have some other general to play with while you're still developing. Some partners (like Gilanra, Caller of Wirewood) really support the idea of a fat second general.
More Monarch stuff: I think Monarch is a really cool multiplayer mechanic, and it's great there's just a greater volume of cards with the word printed on it.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”