[Off-Topic] Community Chat Thread

Rumpy5897
Tuner of Jank
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Rumpy5897 » 1 month ago

Come to think of it, I probably could have written out the commanders at the time of posting, especially as some are partner decks.
As for the Sheoldred, that's definitely the correct one. The deck was the peak of me being an antisocial dingus and I'd relentlessly attack hands, boards, or bust out stuff like Contamination locks. Extremely all around unpleasant.

EDH Primers (click me!)
Deck is Kill Club
Show
Hide

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

Post by Guardman » 1 month ago

I am just putting it out there, but if you Jokulhaups on turn 3, you don't get to complain when I win the game on turn 5.

Dunadain
I like turtles
Answers: 2
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Dunadain » 1 month ago

What are you talking about? They are entirely different. One extends the game and one ends the game! /s
All cards are bad if you try hard enough.

Important decks: Ebondeath, Dracolich, Emiel, The Blessed, Phelddagriff
Other: Ruhan, Zask, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Help me complete my JumpStart Cube!

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man

Post by Guardman » 1 month ago

Dunadain wrote:
1 month ago
What are you talking about? They are entirely different. One extends the game and one ends the game! /s
Mostly complaining. In a game this week, the guy who started the game, on his turn 3, he Jokulhaups to wipe everyone's board except his since he has his commander, Daretti, Scrap Savant out, and technically mine since I got a treasure from my Impulsive Pilferer dying. On turn 6 (not turn 5, but same difference), I then combo off with Amoeboid Changeling, Malcolm, Keen-Eyed Navigator, and Sunshot Militia to win the game since nobody had any untapped mana (and one didn't have any lands at all).

Turn 3: Island
Turn 4: Land, Arcane Signet, crack Treasure for Amoeboid Changeling
Turn 5: Malcolm, Alluring Scoundrel, attack for a treasure
Turn 6: Sunshot Militia, give it changeling, tap it and Malcolm to win.

He then complains that my deck is overpowered (which it is a little bit) and stomped out of the store. But in the same vein, if your deck can go turn two Daretti, Scrap Savant into turn 3 Jokulhaups, you don't have any room to talk. And that is why I play the deck against him, because it is the only one that can go up against his deck when he can turn 1 Blood Moon or turn 2 Smokestack or something like that most games.

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 1 month ago

%$#%$#% it, just realized that plotted cards can only be cast as sorceries. Why did they do that? It has very little impact on the mechanic in limited/standard/competitive formats that wotc cares about, and then they make the two plot-focused commanders - Lilah, Undefeated Slickshot and Fblthp, Lost on the Range both blue? Sick, can't wait to cast all my sorcery-speed counterspells. Thanks so much. :cussing:
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

pokken

Post by pokken » 1 month ago

Four minutes of totality went awesome here in Erie. https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared/I_ ... DKCUXk-SdU

Venedrex
Wait, we can have titles?

Post by Venedrex » 1 month ago

materpillar wrote:
1 month ago
Rumpy5897 wrote:
1 month ago
I'm not surprised. It's got that Feather quality where it does something novel and zany, yet useful. It's a cool design alright.

We had a fun little thought exercise with the guys recently and we ranked the various decks of the ten years (!) of the group into a tier list. Not all of them existed at once, so e.g. Purph getting ranked as high as he did was the result of his strength relative to Patron. Figured you all would get a kick out of a visual representation of a meta where Patron and Feather are among the wildest decks around :P

"Image"

I need to figure out something to build for the potato bracket as the Saryth got decent enough with time to not only escape the bottom rung but become perceived as a mid deck. My gut response is to go for Baru, Wurmspeaker and rehome all the old timey wurms that got streamlined out of Saryth with time, along with ones that lacked trample (Plated Slagwurm, Symbiotic Wurm). I'm concerned it may end up too conceptually similar to the Saryth though. Guess we'll see how it shakes out.
This is super neat. My highest confusion is why Sheoldred, Whispering One is in the same ranks as combo decks. Does the general just never get cast or is that the wrong Sheoldred picture?
Feather the redeemed, patron of the orochi titania, zegana wort the raidmother jeleva, sauron tazri, ghilana whatever her name is og melek rakdos chainer tayam brudiclad, mazirek, marrow gnawer, pako, intent, ghired, mimeoplasm, xenagos, shannyth the sphinx's revelation, I mean purifying blade, rosheen, valroz, scar striped, tazri, alesha, og khemba, keranos, marchesa, mayael I'm too bored to type the rest out.

Ok fine, aurelia, rakdos, sayrth ?nth? krenko, surrak, karn, will and rowan the partner planeswalkers, jhoira of the ghitu or something, ghoulcaller gisa, or gg for short, bruse tarl, kumena, sheoldred, tromakratis, lord windgrace, the ur-dragon, breya, morophon , ravos, the soul tender I mean cedh partner captain nzgroth or whatever you now what I mean, keskit the flesh sculptor, and grand warlord radha, oh and ashnod the uncaring, or flesh mechanist I forget. oh and euotropia twice favored from theros.

Missed a couple but I think thats most of them. Lots of fun and "Fair" decks in here I like it. (As fair as commander decks can be anyway)
Epicurean, EDH without Universes Beyond.

http://nxs.wf/np748831

duducrash
Still Learning

Post by duducrash » 1 month ago

The cowards actually did it. We have a new Karador, Ghost Chieftain art

Dunadain
I like turtles

pokken wrote:
1 month ago
Four minutes of totality went awesome here in Erie. https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared/I_ ... DKCUXk-SdU
I got to watch it in my backyard. It was sweet.

Other: Ruhan, Zask, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

benjameenbear

Post by benjameenbear » 1 month ago

Has anyone seen/read The Strain? Then you know the eclipse was just a herald of things to come...

Honestly, one of my favorite horror trilogies ever. I wish I could find something like it in printed form. I've already got Lovecraft's compendium and The Stand and The Dome (surprisingly good, if a bit unrealistic with the overall pacing). I also LOVED The Swamp Thing's graphic novels as a good horror series. Anyone have any recommendations for good horror books? Bonus points if they're set in a high-fantasy setting.

Ruiner

Post by Ruiner » 1 month ago

benjameenbear wrote:
1 month ago
Has anyone seen/read The Strain? Then you know the eclipse was just a herald of things to come...
I really liked the show and could definitely see myself rewatching it someday. Never read the books to know how different it went.
I also LOVED The Swamp Thing's graphic novels as a good horror series. Anyone have any recommendations for good horror books? Bonus points if they're set in a high-fantasy setting.
Ever read "I, Strahd: Memoirs of a Vampire", if you like vampire fiction? One of the main characters of the D&D setting Ravenloft, it's his origin. There is a sequel book as well. It's been a while since I've read them but I recall liking the first quite a bit.

Actually, there were quite a few Ravenloft novels that might scratch the itch. They are all probably well out of publication though.

For some comic series, maybe try out "Revival" and "Nailbiter". Both were fairly fun and decent.

cheonice
Death to Chronos.

Post by cheonice » 1 month ago

benjameenbear wrote:
1 month ago

Honestly, one of my favorite horror trilogies ever. I wish I could find something like it in printed form. I've already got Lovecraft's compendium and The Stand and The Dome (surprisingly good, if a bit unrealistic with the overall pacing). I also LOVED The Swamp Thing's graphic novels as a good horror series. Anyone have any recommendations for good horror books? Bonus points if they're set in a high-fantasy setting.
I really enjoyed the graphic novel "She eats the night" by Marjorie Liu and Sana Takeda. Their other work "Monstress" is said to be excellent, too. They scored quite a few Eisner Awards.

Ruiner

Post by Ruiner » 1 month ago

cheonice wrote:
1 month ago
benjameenbear wrote:
1 month ago

I really enjoyed the graphic novel "She eats the night" by Marjorie Liu and Sana Takeda. Their other work "Monstress" is said to be excellent, too. They scored quite a few Eisner Awards.
Monstress is OUTSTANDING. Artwork is amazing and a pretty compelling story.

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 1 month ago

staples about to get even more pricey

The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

cheonice
Death to Chronos.

Post by cheonice » 1 month ago

Ruiner wrote:
1 month ago
cheonice wrote:
1 month ago
benjameenbear wrote:
1 month ago

Monstress is OUTSTANDING. Artwork is amazing and a pretty compelling story.
Monstress wasn't for me, though. I read the first issue and it didn't click. Maybe my library has some copies, so I can dive deeper into it.

Dunadain
I like turtles

Hermes_ wrote:
1 month ago
I guess, seems like that's really focusing on the negatives though, I for one am glad WOTC is looking to offer more support for the competitive side of magic.

Casual might be the money maker, but the competitive scene is important for the health of the game imo.

Hermes_

Dunadain wrote:
1 month ago
Hermes_ wrote:
1 month ago
I guess, seems like that's really focusing on the negatives though, I for one am glad WOTC is looking to offer more support for the competitive side of magic.

Casual might be the money maker, but the competitive scene is important for the health of the game imo.
hope you have the actual cards, cuz no proxies.....

Dunadain
I like turtles

Hermes_ wrote:
1 month ago
Again, that seems really tunnel visioned. WOTC is actually giving a %$#% about competitive magic, and a competitive format that has boomed in popularity despite WOTC pretending it doesn't exist at that and your concerned about card prices?

pokken

Post by pokken » 1 month ago

Hermes_ wrote:
1 month ago
long term, I bet you the super interest in CEDH leads to discussions about the RL, and I think that's only good for the game most likely. It's always possible finally caving on the RL busts the game open but who knows.

Hermes_

Dunadain wrote:
1 month ago
Hermes_ wrote:
1 month ago
Again, that seems really tunnel visioned. WOTC is actually giving a %$#% about competitive magic, and a competitive format that has boomed in popularity despite WOTC pretending it doesn't exist at that and your concerned about card prices?
It's not my only concern,it's just one of many but without proxies it becomes like Vintage or Legacy in the amount of actual players showing up at events.
pokken wrote:
1 month ago
Hermes_ wrote:
1 month ago
long term, I bet you the super interest in CEDH leads to discussions about the RL, and I think that's only good for the game most likely. It's always possible finally caving on the RL busts the game open but who knows.
We can only hope

Hermes_

duducrash
Still Learning

Post by duducrash » 1 month ago

Im getting that or a similar one to my god daughter and she will love it and try the game.

Like many did with Grogu and other cuties before, I'll use a cute plushy animal to bring people to this amazing game. I for one welcome the new generation, hope they shower more than the previous one

materpillar
the caterpillar

Post by materpillar » 1 month ago

@Rumpy5897. You've inspired me
@Toshi Excited to see my meta blow your brain

Commanders in each tier are in no particular order
Extremely Spicy
Show
Hide
The Ur-Dragon - Changeling tribal. Turns out this deck is resilient, has a fair amount of removal, and a bunch of infinites to close out the game. Wizards prints a new busted card for it just about every set.
Spicy
Show
Hide
Gishath, Sun's Avatar - Good early pressure and then Gishath demands an answer every turn forever
Azusa, Lost but Seeking - Standard Azusa goodstuffs
Aminatou, the Fateshifter - Flicker deck. Late game end game machine is scary
Animar, Soul of Elements - Morph Tribal. Capable of incredible amounts of creature vomits into softlock
Lathril, Blade of the Elves - Standard elf tribal stuff
High Medium
Show
Hide
Jinnie Fay, Jetmir's Second - bursty tokens
Millicent, Restless Revenant - Not degenerate but very hard to keep down
Esika, God of the Tree // The Prismatic Bridge - My high CMC tribal. Surprisingly explosive and capable of turn 7 kills but fairly poor at interacting with opponents
Tivadar of Thorn - Extremely resilient blink deck. Can lock out creature base decks
Elminster - U/W control with a splash of a billion tokens
Tetzin, Gnome Champion // The Golden-Gear Colossus - Doublesided tribal. Haven't played against it much
Toralf, God of Fury // Toralf's Hammer - Bursty Burn
K'rrik, Son of Yawgmoth
Elsha of the Infinite - Control
Jeleva, Nephalia's Scourge - Top deck synergies
Karn, Legacy Reforged - Golem tribal. Mostly here on the back of the general
Merieke Ri Berit - Tap/Untap stuff. Pretty good at hating creatures.
Swingy, needs commander
Show
Hide
Low Medium
Show
Hide
Velomachus Lorehold - Polymorph into old bombs like Akroma
Yuriko, the Tiger's Shadow - $75 extreme budget, trying not to be degenerate deck
Progenitus - dredge
Yurlok of Scorch Thrash - My "group hug" deck
Tom Bombadil - Really wants more good sagas released
Melek, Reforged Researcher - Late game spells/control deck
Baba Lysaga, Night Witch - aristocracy stuffs
Zaxara, the Exemplary - Hydra tribal
Ayli, Eternal Pilgrim - Aristocraft stuffs
Syrix, Carrier of the Flame - Discard and Surprisingly
Mild
Show
Hide
Chromium - artifacts and nostalgia
Daxos of Meletis - Voltron
Pramikon, Sky Rampart - pillowfort and planeswalkers
Zndrsplt, Eye of Wisdom - Unmodified "Heads I win" precon
Gandalf, Westward Voyager - 6 CMC tribal
Sefris of the Hidden Ways - aristocrat stuff
Tiamat - expensive dragons and a prayer
Pretty Not
Show
Hide
Esika, God of the Tree // The Prismatic Bridge - Heavy metal art only
The Prismatic Piper - intentionally weak for playing against new people
Aeve, Progenitor Ooze - ooze tribal
Gluntch, the Bestower - winconless group hug
Breya, Etherium Shaper - attraction tribal
Kenrith, the Returned King - winconless group hug

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 4 weeks ago

The card whose price I'm most confused at from the new set so far is Lotus Ring. I can't really see it as much more than a Vulshok Battlegear with some minor upsides. By the time you paid 6 mana and sacked a creature, it's hard to imagine a 3 mana refund is terribly exciting. And even if you can cheat the equip cost AND generate tokens to replace the ones you're sacrificing, you'd still need a way to give them haste before it can go infinite. I guess if you have this + Zirda, the Dawnwaker it sorta equals out to a Ashnod's Altar but only for non-summoning-sick creatures? I really can't see where I'd want to play this card, and it's one of the most expensive in the set.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Dunadain
I like turtles

Post by Dunadain » 4 weeks ago

Well Black Lotus is the best card in the game and this card looks like it, so it must be good!

-what I imagine the average casual thinks every time we get some card that pays homage to an old, powerful card.

I remember people saying Umezawa's Charm was going to see play in eternal formats. XD

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”