[Off-Topic] Community Chat Thread

Hermes_
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Hermes_ » 1 month ago

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
1 month ago
Hermes_ wrote:
2 months ago
So,due to budget issues that would have happened with owning a car, I got a scooter/moped
Make sure you wear your helmet, a jacket, and some thick pants. I crashed one of those when I was 16 and the extent of the road rash was brutal. Still got scars.
I realized i should have put it in spoilers, I did get a helmet that's made for wearing with glasses. I also put a couple of stickers on the sides. Due to NM law the speed on this is capped at 25 mph, and since I don't plan to drive it on anything other than side streets I don't expect to get above 15.
SPOILER
Show
Hide

The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

5colorsrainbow
Answers: 1

Post by 5colorsrainbow » 1 month ago

Love the percy jackson stickers.
“There are no weak Jews. I am descended from those who wrestle angels and kill giants. We were chosen by God. You were chosen by a pathetic little man who can't seem to grow a full mustache"

Hermes_

5colorsrainbow wrote:
1 month ago
Love the percy jackson stickers.
I've been holding on to them since i got the book that they came with, and i thought "hey why not put them on there"

duducrash
Still Learning

Post by duducrash » 1 month ago

Good for you. Every year I think "I should sell my car" and my fiance has to talk me out of it, since she sold hers before and now we only have mine xD.

But gas, taxes and insurance ad up 2-3 OG Duals per year

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by RxPhantom » 1 month ago

Murders at Karlov Manor and Cowboys of Moo Mesa exist only to further the power of people's hat tribal decks, specifically fedoras and stetsons. Illuminati confirmed.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

Hermes_

duducrash wrote:
1 month ago
Good for you. Every year I think "I should sell my car" and my fiance has to talk me out of it, since she sold hers before and now we only have mine xD.

But gas, taxes and insurance ad up 2-3 OG Duals per year
well if i had gotten a car and insurance, I would have been left with roughly 50 dollars for the rest of the month due to being on a fixed income.

EDIT: I'm thinking of maybe finding some mana symbol stickers so i can have a 5C scooter :P

BlackbirdPlaysMTG
Lost but seeking

Post by BlackbirdPlaysMTG » 1 month ago

I want to add an extra budget deck to my rotation. When I am facing new players or cheaper decks I usually pull out my Ellivere of the Wild Court deck (which is about €150). That deck is enjoyable and quite straightforward, but I want to have something else on hand that I can pull out in budget-friendly pods or lend out to newer players. Made two lists: Ezuri, Claw of Progress and Muldrotha, the Gravetide - both of them are well below €100.
Ezuri, Claw of Progress (Budget)
Show
Hide
Ezuri, Claw of Progress - Budget

Tutor (3)

Approximate Total Cost:

Muldrotha, the Gravetide (Budget)
Show
Hide
Muldrotha, the Gravetide - Budget
Approximate Total Cost:

The 2015 "Swell the Host" Ezuri precon was the deck that got me into EDH and I put it together and take it apart every so often (usually not on a budget though). Budget version is very similar to what I would play when I would put more money into it, but contains fewer tutors and no Sage of Hours. Just fair Simic +1/+1 counter beatdown. Should not be too hard to pilot by a new player and I find it enjoyable enough to play myself.

Muldrotha is entirely new to me and I made both a budget and a more expensive list. It's a grindy deck for sure. I am pretty confident that I would enjoy piloting it, but it might be less enjoyable for opponents on upgraded precons and other budget decks. Bringing back stuff like Plaguecrafter over and over might be a bit too much :thinking:. Probably a bit harder to pilot for a new player as well.

Eh, I should probably put together Ezuri, but Muldrotha just provides so much value and I am all for it :P.

duducrash
Still Learning

Today I had to log in and noticed there are some ads we see if we don't log in and we stop seeing if we log in.

Wanted to share that I would not be bothered at all to keep seeing those ads after log in, specially if it help the site

Hermes_

If Applejack puts Optimus Prime, Hero // Optimus Prime, Autobot Leader onto the battlefield, do you Scry 2 or get a Food token? :P
*hides before the angry mod can kill him*

Venedrex
Wait, we can have titles?
Answers: 2

Post by Venedrex » 1 month ago

Hermes_ wrote:
1 month ago
If Applejack puts Optimus Prime, Hero // Optimus Prime, Autobot Leader onto the battlefield, do you Scry 2 or get a Food token? :P
*hides before the angry mod can kill him*
Scry because Optimus has a horn.

On a completely unrelated note, I might give Star Wars Unlimited a try. Of course, since its FFG it will likely be shuttered in a year or two, but if not it might be fun.
Epicurean, EDH without Universes Beyond.

http://nxs.wf/np748831

BlackbirdPlaysMTG
Lost but seeking

Venedrex wrote:
1 month ago
On a completely unrelated note, I might give Star Wars Unlimited a try. Of course, since its FFG it will likely be shuttered in a year or two, but if not it might be fun.
I played Star Wars: Destiny for a while. Became reasonably popular in my LGS and the gameplay was refreshing, but yeah... FFG. Now I am a bit wary when I want to commit to games like that :pensive:.

Also, I really enjoyed Elder Scrolls: Legends. Don't play many games on PC anymore (none really), but that was the perfect card game for me. It just sucks when games get shut down, be it physical or online.

materpillar
the caterpillar

Post by materpillar » 1 month ago

I'm visiting Japan for just under two weeks. Checking it off my wife's bucket-list. I'm only a day in but it's really cool so far. Going to hang out in Tokyo until next week and then Osaka the next week. Hoping to see some Cherry Blossoms today. Magic the Gathering going to be fairly sidelined for me.

BlackbirdPlaysMTG
Lost but seeking

materpillar wrote:
1 month ago
I'm visiting Japan for just under two weeks. Checking it off my wife's bucket-list. I'm only a day in but it's really cool so far. Going to hang out in Tokyo until next week and then Osaka the next week. Hoping to see some Cherry Blossoms today. Magic the Gathering going to be fairly sidelined for me.
That's awesome :), enjoy your vacation! Do you have any specific landmarks you want to visit?

(Also, my parents have a small cherry blossom tree in their small front garden. Beautiful when it starts to flower every year.)

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 1 month ago

materpillar wrote:
1 month ago
I spent 2.5 years as a child when my dad was in the Navy. It was an amazing experience. I hope you like it!
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 1 month ago

materpillar wrote:
1 month ago
I'd highly recommend stopping at a card shop. Edh staples supppppper cheap in Japan.

Hermes_

My new stash, I'm currently building the m1a1 Abrams tank and i have at least one more model in the mail.

materpillar
the caterpillar

Post by materpillar » 1 month ago

BlackbirdPlaysMTG wrote:
1 month ago
materpillar wrote:
1 month ago
That's awesome :), enjoy your vacation! Do you have any specific landmarks you want to visit?

(Also, my parents have a small cherry blossom tree in their small front garden. Beautiful when it starts to flower every year.)
We're staying next to the Senso-Ji Shrine which is super cool. Hoping to visit Mount Fuji and a kimono museum tomorrow. Next week is Osaka. Want to hit up the castle and some shrines in that area.

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 1 month ago

I think I might have inadvertently discovered our next "film buffs vs philistines" argument: anyone else seen "Poor Things"?

I wouldn't say I HATED it - it was better than "The Lobster", though that bar is so low it's in hell - but I didn't enjoy it and I definitely wouldn't watch it again without being clockwork oranged.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Ruiner

Post by Ruiner » 1 month ago

DirkGently wrote:
1 month ago
I think I might have inadvertently discovered our next "film buffs vs philistines" argument: anyone else seen "Poor Things"?

I wouldn't say I HATED it - it was better than "The Lobster", though that bar is so low it's in hell - but I didn't enjoy it and I definitely wouldn't watch it again without being clockwork oranged.
I watched it last week and rather enjoyed it. It had a surreal weird quality visually that I thought the set builders/designers killed it on. Mark Ruffalo's character was a great, grimey scumbag piece of garbage. Story was interesting enough, had memorable characters throughout.

However, I don't think it's a movie I'm likely to get the urge to rewatch super often and it wouldn't come close to being a favorite movie of mine or anything like that.

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 1 month ago

DirkGently wrote:
1 month ago

I'll hopefully weigh in later today. I'm an Emma Stone fan, so I expect it won't have nothing for me. It'll make a nice change of scenery from binging The Thing (kinda got a little obsessed with figuring out who The Thing is at the end) and I Think You Should Leave.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

duducrash
Still Learning

Get your tinfoil hats!

Sets that have a cool ass setting and themes are a lil underpowered compared to sets that arent as exciting!

Outlaws seems pushed

toctheyounger

duducrash wrote:
1 month ago
Get your tinfoil hats!
Oh I'm pretty sure I know. Of course unless John Carpenter actually states it outright with evidence we will never know for sure, but I'm pretty happy with where I landed. Amazing film regardless.

duducrash
Still Learning

toctheyounger wrote:
1 month ago
duducrash wrote:
1 month ago
Get your tinfoil hats!
Oh I'm pretty sure I know. Of course unless John Carpenter actually states it outright with evidence we will never know for sure, but I'm pretty happy with where I landed. Amazing film regardless.

Oh, I was talking about my silly conspiracy that WOTC underpowers sets they know the theme will carry and overpower sets they are unsure

toctheyounger

duducrash wrote:
1 month ago
toctheyounger wrote:
1 month ago
duducrash wrote:
1 month ago
Get your tinfoil hats!

Oh, I was talking about my silly conspiracy that WOTC underpowers sets they know the theme will carry and overpower sets they are unsure
Oh yeah lol. That's a pretty reasonable assumption to be honest. Outlaws has some gross stuff. If nothing else comes out of it I'm very excited for Rakdos.

toctheyounger

DirkGently wrote:
1 month ago

I thought it was interesting, though I've no immediate desire to watch it again. Actors we're good pretty well all round, set design and audio design were quite good. And without completely pandering to Hollywood, I'm pleased to see a movie that has pretty clear gore and horror elements snatch up some awards, it doesn't happen often (it's obviously not a horror movie, I know - it's just nice to see that element rewarded, it's oft overlooked, and there are some great horror themed films out there that don't often even get nominations). Some of the vivisection scenes were very Cronenberg, which I quite enjoyed, and overall I quite liked the steampunky Victorian aesthetic, though I was a little confused as to whether this was set in real life or some sort of literal steampunk amalgamation. Some of the scenes where Bella is out in the world exploring have a few fantasy elements that are a bit misleading in the last respect.

Overall, it was fine. I won't see it again soon, it wasn't something that really spoke to my soul, and I think it's somewhat hard to really endear yourself to a character that's so rapidly evolving, but it was well acted and interesting enough.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”