Hidden Gems, What's yours?

Gashnaw
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Gashnaw » 2 years ago

Jemolk wrote:
2 years ago
For those decks especially that struggle against fliers, I've found Katabatic Winds to be extremely amusing. I run it in Treefolk tribal, and it can be pretty nasty against all those dragon decks that would otherwise have at least one pretty huge advantage over my treefolk.
Wow, i found a card i hate, not more than Derevi, but i still hate it.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 2 years ago

Hallowed Moonlight - Really nifty grave hate that also hits token generation and a number of tutors into play. It cantrips and is cheap to keep up as an option to cast.

Soul Tithe - Its really versatile removal that is hard to keep something around through this effect. I really like it a lot when on an enchantress / auras concept but even outside of that cards like Sun Titan and Hall of Heliod's Generosity still make this card sort of appealing to me.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by kirkusjones » 2 years ago

The art on Soul Tithe makes it worth running by itself!

Cyberium

Post by Cyberium » 2 years ago

ISBPathfinder wrote:
2 years ago
Soul Tithe - Its really versatile removal that is hard to keep something around through this effect. I really like it a lot when on an enchantress / auras concept but even outside of that cards like Sun Titan and Hall of Heliod's Generosity still make this card sort of appealing to me.
Definitely Orzhov insurance policy.

I love Debt of Loyalty, it's a useful card with a political side. Sometimes the winning player would want destroy a creature that could hinder him, you can keep it alive then take control of it.

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 2 years ago

Cyberium wrote:
2 years ago
ISBPathfinder wrote:
2 years ago

I love Debt of Loyalty, it's a useful card with a political side. Sometimes the winning player would want destroy a creature that could hinder him, you can keep it alive then take control of it.
I hate that this card is $36. What the heck, r/mtgfinance...................... this is why I'm not sad about mpcautofill existing.
Steel Sabotage'ng Orbs of Mellowness since 2011.

I collect Kaalia of the Vast normal-size cards. Do you have any extra taking up space in your binder? Help me grow my collection! :)

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 2 years ago

3drinks wrote:
2 years ago
Cyberium wrote:
2 years ago
ISBPathfinder wrote:
2 years ago

I hate that this card is $36. What the heck, r/mtgfinance...................... this is why I'm not sad about mpcautofill existing.
You've been focusing a lot on prices lately. Forget that this card is 36 bones now, allow yourself to lean back, relax, and remember when this was a chaff rare and a brand new necropotence was only $7. The poor younguns these days, they'll never understand what the glory days of edh staple prices were like. At least we've had a taste of fair prices, they never will.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

3drinks

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
2 years ago
3drinks wrote:
2 years ago
Cyberium wrote:
2 years ago

You've been focusing a lot on prices lately. Forget that this card is 36 bones now, allow yourself to lean back, relax, and remember when this was a chaff rare and a brand new necropotence was only $7. The poor younguns these days, they'll never understand what the glory days of edh staple prices were like. At least we've had a taste of fair prices, they never will.
I'm focusing a lot on prices, because all I see is eye popping gouging over cards that, yeah as you said were bulk. It's astonishing.

I collect Kaalia of the Vast normal-size cards. Do you have any extra taking up space in your binder? Help me grow my collection! :)

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 2 years ago

Currently patting myself on the back for having the foresight to buy one of every commander-playable card back in 2014 in case prices went up. Daresay that decision has paid some serious dividends.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Wayta - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Eris - Magda - Ghired2 - Xander - Me - Slogurk - Gilraen - Shelob2 - Kellan1 - Leori - Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

3drinks

DirkGently wrote:
2 years ago
Currently patting myself on the back for having the foresight to buy one of every commander-playable card back in 2014 in case prices went up. Daresay that decision has paid some serious dividends.

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

Igzex

Post by Igzex » 2 years ago

I'm gonna have to agree. If there's anything about my life that I do not regret in one way or another, it would be the fact I just so happened to have had multiple copies of Wheel of Fortune, Fork,Copy Artifact, Sliver Queen, and Gilded Drake before Commander was cool. Oh Sliver Queen...you're the star of my binder and my heart...

I'm putting my Xenagos dragon deck together and in my dragon collection I couldn't help but to notice I have a Rimescale Dragon. Aside from being a horrific violation of the color pie it kinda actually looks...like a pretty good bomb for any dragon deck that can run a lot of snow basics? Getting blockers out of the way and keeping your opponents from hitting you back is kinda a cool ability for a turn idiots sideways deck?

Gashnaw

Post by Gashnaw » 2 years ago

Igzex wrote:
2 years ago
I'm gonna have to agree. If there's anything about my life that I do not regret in one way or another, it would be the fact I just so happened to have had multiple copies of Wheel of Fortune, Fork,Copy Artifact, Sliver Queen, and Gilded Drake before Commander was cool. Oh Sliver Queen...you're the star of my binder and my heart...

I'm putting my Xenagos dragon deck together and in my dragon collection I couldn't help but to notice I have a Rimescale Dragon. Aside from being a horrific violation of the color pie it kinda actually looks...like a pretty good bomb for any dragon deck that can run a lot of snow basics? Getting blockers out of the way and keeping your opponents from hitting you back is kinda a cool ability for a turn idiots sideways deck?
I had a playset of Queen. Sold her when she reached 50 bucks for 40 each. (Shop was offering 80% cash, which was rare but they had no queens, and i had bills to pay)

Full regret. I regret selling a lot of cards i had. I had 6/10 duals (10 cents each, (Bought bulk 2000 cards for 200. There were like 20 Mana vaults, 6 dual lands, some cards were were a good chunk when i bought it and have added a 0 to the end of their price.

Full regret. It is taking me a very long time to decide if i am gonna sell my grim monolith or power artifact. I don't use them, and i need the cash. But price will rise.

JovialJovian
Captain, I object!

Post by JovialJovian » 2 years ago

Getting us back on the topic of hidden gems...

I've had great success with Stampeding Wildebeests and Stampeding Serow. They don't have the wow factor of Temur Sabertooth, but they go miles in re-using etb value creatures, as opponents overlook them until they've already given a few turns of good value, where people will attempt to eliminate Sabertooth the moment he show up.

Treamayne

Post by Treamayne » 2 years ago

Was just working on updating my Rainbow Stairwell Manland deck, and was reminded of how great Reconnaissance is with ManLands. I know it's a good card anyway, but it's just a notch better with ManLands.

Also, I really dig Cream of the Crop in any creature heavy build. Usually not the most threatening target available, but the utility when you can trigger it every turn is worth it.
JovialJovian wrote:
2 years ago
Getting us back on the topic of hidden gems...

I've had great success with Stampeding Wildebeests and Stampeding Serow. They don't have the wow factor of Temur Sabertooth, but they go miles in re-using etb value creatures, as opponents overlook them until they've already given a few turns of good value, where people will attempt to eliminate Sabertooth the moment he show up.
Very Nice. It's funny how when Wildebeests came out, the creature bounce was it's "drawback" for being the newest iteration of Erhnam Djinn (it seemed they tried a different 4CMC 4/5|5/4 green creature each block back then). Now the Wildebeests have aged better than some Mir Block creatures because they former drawback is now a useful "feature."
V/R

Treamayne

3drinks

Igzex wrote:
2 years ago

Fun fact, I have the Rimescale in the most recent Kaalia iteration. It works as well as you'd expect. Come down off the trigger and surprise tap whichever blocker is threatening. It's a bummer all your hard work icing things down is negated by a Doom Blade|plist but hey, at least it's something to do with all that snow mana.

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

Sinis

Post by Sinis » 2 years ago

I don't want to retread my ones from the old hidden gems thread, so, here are some new ones:

Harmonious Archon: This card surprisingly warps gameplay around it in my group. Minimizing fat beaters and making tokens powerful is pretty exciting.
Burning Anger: Yes, it's an aura... but the creature can basically Soul's Fire every time you untap it? Something to do with those giant Consuming Aberrations, Realm Seekers or similar.
Tombstone Stairwell: I'm sure this has come up in a previous thread, but, I think it's crazy how underplayed it is, even with its rising price tag.
Bedlam: This card, I believe, is underrated.
TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
2 years ago
new necropotence was only $7.
The last Necropotence I bought was a foil deckmasters one for $5 :D

Igzex

3drinks wrote:
2 years ago
Fun fact, I have the Rimescale in the most recent Kaalia iteration. It works as well as you'd expect. Come down off the trigger and surprise tap whichever blocker is threatening. It's a bummer all your hard work icing things down is negated by a Doom Blade|plist but hey, at least it's something to do with all that snow mana.
Just tried it out today and it actually managed to frustrate a player to the point of him asking me if I was playing STAX all the sudden. I can see why Kaalia's personal liaison would approve of it :rofl:

While we're on the subject of lesser known dragons, I feel the beautiful Moonveil Dragon is largely forgotten. Make no mistake, it may look like a Shivan Dragon but it can hit like a Craterhoof Behemoth.

3drinks

Igzex wrote:
2 years ago
3drinks wrote:
2 years ago
Just tried it out today and it actually managed to frustrate a player to the point of him asking me if I was playing STAX all the sudden. I can see why Kaalia's personal liaison would approve of it :rofl:

While we're on the subject of lesser known dragons, I feel the beautiful Moonveil Dragon is largely forgotten. Make no mistake, it may look like a Shivan Dragon but it can hit like a Craterhoof Behemoth.
Much as I love the way ISD foiling enhances the backdrop on Moonveil, it's really not for Kaalia. If you're not getting at least +4/+0 off each r, it's really going to struggle to pull it's weight. Watch how many times you drop this with Kaalia and those are the only two you have out. Pretty underwhelming. It definitely needs a go wide strategy to shine. Ghired comes to mind.

WBRKaalia HQ WBR

Igzex

I should have clarified that I played it in Xenagos. Moonveil along with Klauth, Unrivaled Ancient capped off by a dragonstorm burn OTK christmas land was...something I did...

Yeah, Moonveil is most at home with commanders like Ghired, Conclave Exile, Phylath, World Sculptor, and maybe even that Vrondiss, Rage of Ancients guy that just came out.

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 2 years ago

Baru, Fist of Krosa. Redundant grandeur mechanic aside this guy pumps your team for any forest entering play, not just yours. Gets pretty gross with Collective Voyage.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb

Post by kirkusjones » 2 years ago

toctheyounger wrote:
2 years ago
Baru, Fist of Krosa. Redundant grandeur mechanic aside this guy pumps your team for any forest entering play, not just yours. Gets pretty gross with Collective Voyage.
Pair with Yavimaya, Cradle of Growth for all of the fun.

toctheyounger

kirkusjones wrote:
2 years ago
toctheyounger wrote:
2 years ago
Oh damn. Thats just nasty.

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 2 years ago

toctheyounger wrote:
2 years ago
kirkusjones wrote:
2 years ago
toctheyounger wrote:
2 years ago
That's baby stuff. Give Baru an Ashaya, Soul of the Wild — now we're talking.

Edit: I just reread Collective Voyage, that is pretty gross with baru and yavi. +20/+20 for 6? Yikes.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

toctheyounger

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
2 years ago
toctheyounger wrote:
2 years ago
kirkusjones wrote:
2 years ago

That's baby stuff. Give Baru an Ashaya, Soul of the Wild — now we're talking.

Edit: I just reread Collective Voyage, that is pretty gross with baru and yavi. +20/+20 for 6? Yikes.
Yes to Ashaya, thats disgusting again.

You know what? I think we just made a deck. Dryad of the Ilysian Grove probably goes in there too

CommanderMaster999

Post by CommanderMaster999 » 2 years ago

Have yet to draw one in one of my games but can't wait to see the look on suoerfriend players faces when a Aether Snap pops out and kill all the walkers and 0/0 creatures

But one I actual did was Hex Parasite draining a Ishai, Ojutai Dragonspeaker was fun I ticked off the player so much he actualy used a Path to Exile on it and we know that's a bad target for it.

PrimevalCommander

Post by PrimevalCommander » 2 years ago

I think I'm the only player I've seen play False Prophet in paper. One of the best board wipes for decks that play sac outlets. Every once in a while I have a creature or two get caught by the exile, but its been one of the most abusable board wipes I've played. Granted, sac outlets are required, but you can also pop on opponents turn so you get the first turn to set up afterwards. I've seen it mentioned here a few times. It's great in a deck that can take advantage of the timing (feature) "restriction".

Insidious Will in heavy control decks I like this counter spell because it is always what you need it to be (except maybe less mana). Counterspell as a floor for is poor, but the Twincast and Redirect flexibility make it a fun choice for me when I'm not maxing efficiency. Redirect any removal spell for a nice 2 for 1.
Sylvan Scrying, while maybe not hidden, is still solid for search special utility lands in green. Bit cheaper manavalue than Expedition Map
Oreskos Explorer is still one of my favorite plains searchers in white. Can get the dual typed Bycycles that can turn it into card advantage. The new 2 mv guy may take this slot, or I may just play both.
Corpse Augur in graveyard decks draws me tons of cards. Doesn't have to target your graveyard. Relevant if you don't want to loose 15+ life by targeting yourself.
Archon of Justice I've been playing since it's release. Maybe a bit outclassed at 5 mana, but I like the rattlesnake effect, and hitting any permanent is more rare these days. Plus in reanimator it is one of the lowest mana value unconditional answers to any permaent I have found. This is why it still keeps it's spot. Goes in the same deck as False Prophet and Corpse Augur above, which also both are death triggers.

Death triggers can be risky, which is definitely why some of these are still niche GY deck picks. But sac outlets are pretty common and if you can reliably get these in the graveyard they are strong effects.

As a reverse hidden Gem, I'm finding Dig Through Time to be a bit underwhelming. It is hard to play early game, and hard to recur and cast multiple times for the reduced cost. I've seen it a couple times recently in the early game and I had to exile most of my graveyard and still pay more mana than I wanted. It has not been the superstar draw spell I was expecting on paper.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”