[mtgnexus] Random Card of the Day - The SHM Lieges

tstorm823
Knowledge Pool
Answers: 2
Pronoun: he / him

Post by tstorm823 » 1 month ago

This seems like a reasonable moment to acknowledge @3drinks dedication.

On Salvation, there were 3 RCotD threads from November 2013 → July 2019, passing from Cryogen to LouCypher to me, 5 years and 8 months, a little less than 2 years per person. This thread has been going for 4 years and 9 months, which is bonkers (even if we subtract one day from the total for posting a repeat card).
Zedruu: "This deck is not only able to go crazy - it also needs to do so."

Mookie
Answers: 48
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Mookie » 1 month ago

tstorm823 wrote:
1 month ago

On Salvation, there were 3 RCotD threads from November 2013 → July 2019, passing from Cryogen to LouCypher to me, 5 years and 8 months, a little less than 2 years per person. This thread has been going for 4 years and 9 months, which is bonkers (even if we subtract one day from the total for posting a repeat card).
Hear, hear! Three cheers and three toasts to @3drinks! Long may the liege and lord of the Random reign!

3drinks
Kaalia's Personal Liaison

Post by 3drinks » 1 month ago

Hard to believe it's near the five year mark. All for a silly little thread like this ah ha.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WRKellan, the Fae-Blooded // Birthright Boon (local secret santa gift)
RTorbran, Thane of Red Fell (Red Deck Wins)
WBRAlesha, Who Smiles at Death (Slivers)
WBRKaalia HQ

yeti1069

Post by yeti1069 » 1 month ago

tstorm823 wrote:
1 month ago

I applaud your dedication @3drinks. It's nice to have touchstones like this for some community.

3drinks

Thursday, April 11 2024; Archivist of Gondor

Dang I love monarch and the way it shifts the dynamic of the game.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

Dunadain
I like turtles

Post by Dunadain » 1 month ago

I do like monarch, not sure where I'd want to run this card though.

👍
All cards are bad if you try hard enough.

Important decks: Ebondeath, Dracolich, Emiel, The Blessed, Phelddagriff
Other: Ruhan, Zask, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Help me complete my JumpStart Cube!

3drinks

Hmm. u aggro. Sounds like some sort of skies brew. Talrand, Sky Summoner comes to mind but there's likely some izzet prowess brews that can benefit.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 1 month ago

I'd pay 3 for something that draws me an extra card each turn, if I didn't have better synergies. In principle this could draw you 2 cards per turn, if you have nothing else that generated the monarch.

I guess it's alright if you're playing a 2-drop evasive blue commander, but I'd want to be damn sure nobody else was going to take the crown away, which is hard to be sure about.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

BeneTleilax

Post by BeneTleilax » 1 month ago

Saw this run away with a game in an odd Esior/Kediss fast voltron list one time. Blue generally has an excess of draw and is more willing to wait, though, so while this this isn't bad, it's niche just by virtue of opportunity cost.

Ruiner

Post by Ruiner » 1 month ago

I should probably consider snagging a copy of this for my Zareth San, the Trickster rogues/theft deck. The deck is full of evasive cheap creatures, to the point where whenever people have decks that use Monarch or Initiative, they know they won't keep it if I'm still alive.

3drinks

Friday, April 12th 2024; Planar Collapse

Once upon a time this was one of the better wraths because a 2mv wipe was unheard of. I wonder if it's still playable now. Being Sun Titanable has me thinking it is even with that timing req. Also being an enchantment has me suspicious it's sneakily playable due to it's type and certain tutourability.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

pokken

Post by pokken » 1 month ago

I have played this card a lot and it always surprises people. You loop it with Hall of Heliod's Generosity in Heliod, God of the Sun and it's GGs a lot of the time.

annnd it's a Muddle the Mixture target in UWx enchantments :D yay

FoxHybrid
Guardian

Post by FoxHybrid » 1 month ago

To me, this card seems like it will invite the person whose board is the biggest to swing at you with some of the scary creatures you're trying to blow up. Especially if that player's turn is right before yours. There is something to say about you having all your mana open to rebuild, but that does come at the cost of your opponents being able to hedge against the board wipe. It's low cmc is definitely a plus, however, it does come at the cost of basically not being able to spend that extra mana to cast creatures, unless you're fine with them dying without being able to swing/tap without haste.

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 1 month ago

Once I hit it three times in a boring pillowfort-y enchantress deck: Praetor's Counsel and Creeping Renaissance twice. I think it is too slow now (and I prefer exile removal).
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

Jemolk
Compulsive Jank Builder

Post by Jemolk » 1 month ago

Excellent in enchantress; probably not good enough basically anywhere else.
39 Commander decks and counting. I'm sure this is fine, and not at all a problem.

ironic gesture

Post by ironic gesture » 1 month ago

I really wanted to make this card work in Ghen, Arcanum Weaver where you can recur it at instant speed but I couldn't get a high enough density of ways to make Ghen indestructible.

Dunadain
I like turtles

Post by Dunadain » 1 month ago

I'm not a fan of announcing to the table that there's going to be a board wipe next turn. Having said that, 2 MV Board Wipe is insane and it has enchantment synergies, so the card packs enough punch to make the downside seem like a trade off worth exploring.

In a world where white board wipes are more or less solved, this little guy continues to be an interesting piece of tech for decks willing to make it work.

👍👍

Other: Ruhan, Zask, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

3drinks

Post by 3drinks » 4 weeks ago

Saturday, April 13th 2024; Fynn, the Fangbearer

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

materpillar
the caterpillar

Post by materpillar » 4 weeks ago

I have no experience with this card. Isn't it fairly popular? Looks fair but annoying as random poison tends to be.

Dunadain
I like turtles

Post by Dunadain » 4 weeks ago

Ain't nothing wrong with this boi and I will die on this hill. It's literally mono green aggro and people are just used to aggro being unplayable.

👍👍

DirkGently

Post by DirkGently » 4 weeks ago

I have no issue with aggro. But I do find myself annoyed with poison because of how pushed proliferate has become.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

3drinks

Sunday, April 14th 2024; Galepowder Mage

I miss this template. Can we just make all blink default to this style? I know it opens up to stifle|scg feel-bads but that's still superior to random interactions that accidentally the whole game yeah?

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

3drinks

materpillar wrote:
4 weeks ago
I have no experience with this card. Isn't it fairly popular? Looks fair but annoying as random poison tends to be.
DirkGently wrote:
4 weeks ago
I have no issue with aggro. But I do find myself annoyed with poison because of how pushed proliferate has become.
Nah, this is fair because you can't just get people with a Become Immense or whatever. There's not that many ways to give deathtouch in g (and I know you're not complaining about super fair cards like Basilisk Collar or Gorgon Flail) so you're playing some really mediocre little dorks or MID equips that give doublestrike (Fireshrieker is just fine). As for the proliferate angle, there are two three cards that proliferate for free; Throne of Geth (which requires sac an artifact), Evolution Sage (requires landfall) and Sword of Truth and Justice (which requires getting through in combat). Probably don't have the support in a Fangbearer deck to run throne and SoTaJ is just another sword. Evo Sage is gated by once/turn barring exploration effects (so a multi-card combo assuming you have extra lands). Any other proliferate is retail 4 which is a fairly extraordinary cost that you can see coming with more than enough time to react.

If this card were in multiple colours, or had the unfortunate interaction with pump spells, okay let's talk. But Fangbearer is really fair and a reasonable designed card. Probably the best way to look at poison counters, honestly (definitely better than the toxic mechanic but not as polarizing as infect.

Modern
R{R/W} 87guide Burn
Commander
WBRKaalia HQ

DirkGently

Post by DirkGently » 4 weeks ago

3drinks wrote:
4 weeks ago
Evo Sage is gated by once/turn barring exploration effects (so a multi-card combo assuming you have extra lands). Any other proliferate is retail 4 which is a fairly extraordinary cost that you can see coming with more than enough time to react.
Lemme tell you about a little something you might'a heard of called fetch lands…

I'm not sure what you're talking about with the costs, there are plenty of cards like Unnatural Restoration that tack proliferate onto an already okay card at a low price. Or just Planewide Celebration to KO people from 6 that can't be stopped except via counterspells.

So it puts people in a position where taking any poison where taking any poison whatsoever could kill them in ways they can't realistically prevent, which means if they have a slower plan they're obliged to interact with this strategy on turn 2, or 1 on the draw. That's pretty obnoxious imo.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

materpillar
the caterpillar

Post by materpillar » 4 weeks ago

DirkGently wrote:
4 weeks ago
So it puts people in a position where taking any poison where taking any poison whatsoever could kill them in ways they can't realistically prevent, which means if they have a slower plan they're obliged to interact with this strategy on turn 2, or 1 on the draw. That's pretty obnoxious imo.
@3drinks
Basically this. It isn't busted or anything. Just kinda obnoxious.

Galepowder Mage is another card that's been powerkrept really bad. Having to attack is just really poor compared to Teleportation Circle. I cut it from Tivadar of Thorn a long time ago for underperforming and haven't missed it.

Some niche use in blinking not your stuff still I suppose.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”