[Off-Topic] Community Chat Thread

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 2 months ago

Guardman wrote:
2 months ago
So because of all of the Fallout stuff I realized I should probably try one of them (and also realized that I have four of them already via the free games the Epic Store is always putting out). For the people that know, which would be the best one to play:

Fallout
Fallout 2
Fallout Tactics
Fallout: New Vegas
New Vegas is the most accessible for sure. I'm actually doing another play through right now in anticipation of the new set and Amazon show coming soon. If you play New Vegas make sure to download a few mods like bug fixes and, if you desire, graphical overhauls to make the models look a little more modern. It's a masterpiece in world building and quest writing for open world games, but it's definitely more RPG than FPS. It's clunky and chunky but a gem.

If you like Xcom style tactical games you'll get a hoot out of the older titles. I started with the second one but I think the first is a little better overall.

Guardman
A Dog's Dream of Man
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Guardman » 2 months ago

TheGildedGoose wrote:
2 months ago
Guardman wrote:
2 months ago
So because of all of the Fallout stuff I realized I should probably try one of them (and also realized that I have four of them already via the free games the Epic Store is always putting out). For the people that know, which would be the best one to play:

Fallout
Fallout 2
Fallout Tactics
New Vegas is the most accessible for sure. I'm actually doing another play through right now in anticipation of the new set and Amazon show coming soon. If you play New Vegas make sure to download a few mods like bug fixes and, if you desire, graphical overhauls to make the models look a little more modern. It's a masterpiece in world building and quest writing for open world games, but it's definitely more RPG than FPS. It's clunky and chunky but a gem.
Thanks. This might be a stupid question, but what do you mean download mods? Like there are updates for it?

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 2 months ago

Guardman wrote:
2 months ago
TheGildedGoose wrote:
2 months ago
Guardman wrote:
2 months ago

Fallout
Fallout 2
Fallout Tactics
Thanks. This might be a stupid question, but what do you mean download mods? Like there are updates for it?
There are updates and DLC abut "mods" are fan made addonsthat range anywhere from custom quests to bug fixes to graphics overhauls to new companions or anything else you might imagine. The engine New Vegas is built on and the game code itself are both incredibly buggy so there's an unofficial fan patch to stabilize it.

https://www.nexusmods.com/

I recommend as close to a vanilla experience as possible at first.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by RxPhantom » 2 months ago

duducrash wrote:
2 months ago
Lost my job friday, spent a total of 51 days with this company.

I was at another company, had an ok position. I was recruited for this one and after 51 days there was this mini layoff thing and I just terminated on friday alongisde some other folks. Man companies suck. If you might be in a position to end jobs soon, why would you recruit someone. I'm not desperate right now because I have some savings for this exact situation and I'm hopefull I'll find something real soon. but holy %$#% I %$#% hate the hellsystem we are in
I'm so sorry to hear that. I hope you have some good luck soon.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 2 months ago

The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

Dunadain
I like turtles
Answers: 2

Post by Dunadain » 2 months ago

Hey, Kird Ape blocks Ragavan, Nimble Pilferer like a boss.
All cards are bad if you try hard enough.

Important decks: Ebondeath, Dracolich, Emiel, The Blessed, Phelddagriff
Other: Ruhan, Zask, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Help me complete my JumpStart Cube!

duducrash
Still Learning

Post by duducrash » 1 month ago

have you guys played against Voja, Jaws of the Conclave holy %$#% it is powerfull

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 1 month ago

duducrash wrote:
1 month ago
have you guys played against Voja, Jaws of the Conclave holy %$#% it is powerfull
I haven't seen it in paper but I've played against it on Arena. It's another easy button commander that draws a ton of cards and gives a massive buff for barely any effort. I kinda hate it, though I normally keep this kind of negativity to myself.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 1 month ago

duducrash wrote:
1 month ago
I did deem it ugly on my review. Yeah design sucks honestly. Definitely didn't need ward that's for damn sure.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

BlackbirdPlaysMTG
Lost but seeking

Post by BlackbirdPlaysMTG » 1 month ago

duducrash wrote:
1 month ago
Did you face an elfball build? She seems pretty strong as she grows your elves pretty quickly, but I do not really see a reason to play her over Marwyn or Ezuri (mono-green can just tutor Craterhoof or activate Ezuri a bunch of times). Maybe I am mistaken 🙃.

Dunadain
I like turtles

Post by Dunadain » 1 month ago

I have not.

I have, however, been getting my teeth kicked in by Duskana, the Rage Mother in legacy dredge of all places.

Did NOT see that coming.

Other: Ruhan, Zask, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

duducrash
Still Learning

BlackbirdPlaysMTG wrote:
1 month ago
duducrash wrote:
1 month ago
Did you face an elfball build? She seems pretty strong as she grows your elves pretty quickly, but I do not really see a reason to play her over Marwyn or Ezuri (mono-green can just tutor Craterhoof or activate Ezuri a bunch of times). Maybe I am mistaken 🙃.
So, in my playgroup we have 3 Tolsimir players, including a friend's wife. who barely plays. She opened one Voja, Jaws of the Conclave liked it and put a bunch of elves and a couple of wolfs. The deck is definitely not optimized and she isn't very experienced, but its just silly. The worst part is ward 3.

At time it felt like a many hoof in the command zone. That also drew cards.

I'm pretty sure she built it mono green, we played 4 games and I don't remember seeing anything else. I feel like if you commit to the build it can go as high as a non cedh can go.

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb

Post by kirkusjones » 1 month ago

Dunadain wrote:
1 month ago
I have not.

I have, however, been getting my teeth kicked in by Duskana, the Rage Mother in legacy dredge of all places.

Did NOT see that coming.
That build is wild. It took me a second to see the Duskana connection but when I did…boy did I get the warm and fuzzies.

BlackbirdPlaysMTG
Lost but seeking

duducrash wrote:
1 month ago
So, in my playgroup we have 3 Tolsimir players, including a friend's wife. who barely plays. She opened one Voja, Jaws of the Conclave liked it and put a bunch of elves and a couple of wolfs. The deck is definitely not optimized and she isn't very experienced, but its just silly. The worst part is ward 3.

At time it felt like a many hoof in the command zone. That also drew cards.

I'm pretty sure she built it mono green, we played 4 games and I don't remember seeing anything else. I feel like if you commit to the build it can go as high as a non cedh can go.
Yeah, the card is a great package. Draw, good body and can quickly grow your board out of control. The only thing it is missing is haste :P. I have brewed a mostly mono-green deck around it with mostly elves and a few of the better wolves (like Cemetery Prowler) + support. Not going to actually buy into it though, as I am trying to steer away from commanders that draw cards for future projects.

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 1 month ago

played some Plague Inc. Evolved

and well

The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

duducrash
Still Learning

kirkusjones wrote:
1 month ago
Dunadain wrote:
1 month ago
I have not.

Did NOT see that coming.
That build is wild. It took me a second to see the Duskana connection but when I did…boy did I get the warm and fuzzies.
Can you all explain it like im 5?

Dunadain
I like turtles

duducrash wrote:
1 month ago
kirkusjones wrote:
1 month ago
Dunadain wrote:
1 month ago
I have not.

Did NOT see that coming.
Can you all explain it like im 5?
Bridge from Below

Get some Narcomoebas and Co, flashback Dread Return reanimating Duskana, the Rage Mother. Now, all your Bridge from Below zombies are hitting for 5 a turn, and they probably have haste because of an Anger.

It is FAST. A YouTuber I watch released a video yesterday where he dropped to -40 life on turn 2. Obviously, that was an exceptionally good hand though.

Idk if it's better than traditional dredge yet, but it feels legacy power level.

Dunadain
I like turtles

Why do we call it a sac outlet, not a sac enabler? Sac outlet sounds like something else is doing the saccing, and the outlet is providing the payoff.

Furnace Celebration should be a sac outlet, Phyrexian Altar should be a sac enabler.

Dumb things I think about ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

Post by Lifeless » 1 month ago

I mined enough salt playing Dread Return Dredge on MODO to become a Roman aristocrat. Good times.

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

I'm seeing Alkaline Trio on Tuesday. I'm so pumped! They might be my favorite band, their new record is killer, and I. Am. Ready.

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

Post by Lifeless » 1 month ago

RxPhantom wrote:
1 month ago
I'm seeing Alkaline Trio on Tuesday. I'm so pumped! They might be my favorite band, their new record is killer, and I. Am. Ready.
I like their new single a lot but haven't made time to listen to the rest of the album. I'm not going to make it to their show this month but definitely enjoyed them live the last time I saw them. Have fun!

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Lifeless wrote:
1 month ago
RxPhantom wrote:
1 month ago
I like their new single a lot but haven't made time to listen to the rest of the album. I'm not going to make it to their show this month but definitely enjoyed them live the last time I saw them. Have fun!
Thanks! It's my first show in five years and it's been too long.

It's a pretty rad record. It's got a rougher, fuzzier, almost garage punk kind of sound. They try a lot of cool new things while still definitely sounding like Alkaline Trio. I really like it when Dan and Matt trade lead vocals in a song, and they do it a few times here.

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 1 month ago

Woo Fallout GBU is up. And it has a longwinded rant!
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

BlackbirdPlaysMTG
Lost but seeking

DirkGently wrote:
1 month ago
Woo Fallout GBU is up. And it has a longwinded rant!
Nice, I love me some ranting :smirk:. Let me take a look.

Venedrex
Wait, we can have titles?

Post by Venedrex » 1 month ago

Nice article.

I am inclined to agree with what you said about UB stuff, every set that comes out further reinforces my belief that there should be a format without it. I mean, I said it before, but I love Marvel stuff in a vacuum but I don't feel any joy over the idea of showing up to my LGS and seeing someone whip out their Hulk deck. The way I see it, the buffet analogy goes both ways, and players should start a format without Universes Beyond. In my mind, its no different from how we sort ourselves into modern or standard or pioneer players, those formats were made because people wanted to play with certain cards and not others, why should this be any different?

If I walk into my LGS with a modern deck and say anyone playing Modern people might say haha no this is only Commander but they won't get nearly as offended as if I sit down to play Commander and then I ask that we don't play with UB cards. By having an official format without Universes Beyond, we turn it from an imposition on people we play with to a personal preference indicated before even sitting down at the table, which I think is what is needed to avoid hurt feelings and arguments.

One thing I have been looking into in addition to just a straight ban of UB cards is the idea of Pioneer Commander (Homestead?) which would eliminate all supplemental products. But unfortunately there would be almost as many downsides as upsides.

On the plus side, there would be no Dockside, Fierce Guardianship, or UB cards. On the the other hand you'd lose a gigantic amount of cards to play with.

So, I think the best option I can see moving forward is a close variant of Commander with UB cards banned, everything else the same. I don't want to stop people from playing UB cards if they like that, I just want a format so that I can go to my LGS and say I want to play Epicurean and skip having to awkwardly explain to people that no, its not a personal attack on them, but I just want to play cards from one IP because that's the way I'm wired. I don't see why we can't have a situation where half the LGS is playing with UB and the other half isn't.

If players want they can swap pods at any time, but for people who are just looking to not play with Captain Kirk (It is coming) and Iron Man we don't have to rule 0 our way into antagonizing everyone who likes UB, we just say, anyone want to play Format Name and if no one wants to then we go somewhere else or resign ourselves to playing with UB that day.
Last edited by Venedrex 1 month ago, edited 1 time in total.
Epicurean, EDH without Universes Beyond.

http://nxs.wf/np748831

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”