[Off-Topic] Community Chat Thread

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 6 months ago

Whenever I'm bored and end up on the EDH subreddit I am instantly reminded of why I post here. Yeesh.

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Lifeless » 6 months ago

The Reddit part is a dead giveaway.

WizardMN
Answers: 128

Post by WizardMN » 6 months ago

duducrash wrote:
6 months ago
Just got some alters I ordered in the mail, the person is new to mtg alters, had done only a couple of lands before. I think they are pretty cool. unfurtonately she covered the names but It's not like a big deal I think. If I get to I'll post them later here
I assume you are running them primarily in EDH/Commander so there really isn't any issue either way there. However, covering up the name is a strike against it being legal in a tournament so it is something to watch out for. Here is the excerpt from the policy doc that explains what is a valid artistic modification:

Artistic modifications are acceptable in sanctioned tournaments, provided that the modifications do not make the card art unrecognizable, contain substantial strategic advice, or contain offensive images. Artistic modifications also may not obstruct or change the mana cost or name of the card.

Dunadain
I like turtles
Answers: 2
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by Dunadain » 6 months ago

What does "render the card art unrecognizable" even mean?

Like, if I'm going to get an alter, I'm going to change the art, lol.

Seems vague (where is the line where you can still recognize the art?) and unnecessary, but I haven't played in a tournament in years, and never a tournament big enough to worry about enforcing rules like these.
All cards are bad if you try hard enough.

Important decks: Ebondeath, Dracolich, Emiel, The Blessed, Phelddagriff
Other: Ruhan, Zask, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Help me complete my JumpStart Cube!

duducrash
Still Learning

Post by duducrash » 6 months ago

WizardMN wrote:
6 months ago
I assume you are running them primarily in EDH/Commander
Yep, I don't even get to play much, but it's a EDH deck.

Thats good to know. Since the rules text was also covered I got alternates to keep alongside so people can read.

I think they wouldn't be tournament valid either way because if yo look closely at the sleeves they are like a little bit thicker and if you are looking for closely I think I can estimate where they are in the deck

WizardMN
Answers: 128

Post by WizardMN » 6 months ago

Dunadain wrote:
6 months ago
Seems vague (where is the line where you can still recognize the art?) and unnecessary, but I haven't played in a tournament in years, and never a tournament big enough to worry about enforcing rules like these.
This would be a judgment call for the head judge but, to be honest, I think it is the main thing in that rule that seems like it could be removed. With all of the new arts, and especially the ones from Universes Beyond, unrecognizable art is becoming more and more common anyway. Not recognizing a card by the art isn't really a big deal anyway as long as the name, mana cost, and text is still there.

duducrash
Still Learning

Post by duducrash » 6 months ago

My bad on the instructions, she is new to mtg so I think I wasnt when I said what I wanted to keep.

Can you guess the cards?

materpillar
the caterpillar

Post by materpillar » 6 months ago

duducrash wrote:
6 months ago
My bad on the instructions, she is new to mtg so I think I wasnt when I said what I wanted to keep.

Can you guess the cards?
Tolsimir Wolfblood and Tolsimir, Friend to Wolves

RxPhantom
Fully Vaxxed, Baby!

Post by RxPhantom » 6 months ago

I need some book recommendations. I'm reading my sixth Bosch novel and after that I'm gonna switch gears to something else. Perhaps something in the fantasy or horror spheres, but I'm open to almost anything.
Can you name all of the creature types with at least 20 cards? Try my Sporcle Quiz! Last Updated: 2/18/22 (Kamigawa: Neon Dynasty)

BeneTleilax

Post by BeneTleilax » 6 months ago

RxPhantom wrote:
6 months ago
I need some book recommendations. I'm reading my sixth Bosch novel and after that I'm gonna switch gears to something else. Perhaps something in the fantasy or horror spheres, but I'm open to almost anything.
China Mieville's great

materpillar
the caterpillar

Post by materpillar » 6 months ago

RxPhantom wrote:
6 months ago
Sci-fi: I'm a huge fan of Dune and Foundation.
Fantasy: mostly anything by Brandon Sanderson (Mistborn: The Final Empire or The away Of Kings are my tabs).
For action: The Dresden Files are the closest thing to an action movie I've ever read.
For classic: Dracula by Bram Stoker holds up extremely well.
For Comedy: Mort (Discworld #4) was a good
If you want to get angry at humanity: The Republic of Pain: The Secret History of the Sackler Family is a nonfiction about OxyCotin marketers
If you want to read something just widely different and really hard to explain: House of Leaves. Not sure if it is good but it's definitely the most original book I've ever worked through.
If you're feeling Dystopian and want to be depressed: 1984 of amazing
Random final recommendation: The Last Lecture this book is kinda what I base a fair amount of my life philosophy on

cheonice
Death to Chronos.

Post by cheonice » 6 months ago

RxPhantom wrote:
6 months ago
I'm enjoying This Rebel Heart so far. Some combination about jewish heritage, post-war communism and hungarian revolution. And fantasy.

The Fifth Season and the whole Broken Earth books were really great. Strange, creative, well-written. Haven't read anything like it before. Jemisin is just great.

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 6 months ago

Dunadain wrote:
6 months ago

What if I alter my Arboreal Grazer to have Primeval Titan art in a deck that plays both?
or maybe two cards with the same CMC?
Maybe it is just an out to disqualify cards that are intentionally made to mislead the opponent.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

Dunadain
I like turtles
Answers: 2

Post by Dunadain » 6 months ago

Dunharrow wrote:
6 months ago
Dunadain wrote:
6 months ago

What if I alter my Arboreal Grazer to have Primeval Titan art in a deck that plays both?
or maybe two cards with the same CMC?
Maybe it is just an out to disqualify cards that are intentionally made to mislead the opponent.
Maybe, but the rule already makes an exception for cards altered in such a way to provide "significant strategic advice." So calling out specifically cards that "can easily be mistaken for a different card" seems like a better fix.

*I have no horse in this race, I will likely never play a tournament again.
All cards are bad if you try hard enough.

Important decks: Ebondeath, Dracolich, Emiel, The Blessed, Phelddagriff
Other: Ruhan, Zask, Kellan, Liesa, Galadriel, Orca, Sauron, Thantis, Rukarumel, Sisay, Stickfingers, Safana, Thantis, Dihada

Help me complete my JumpStart Cube!

benjameenbear

Post by benjameenbear » 6 months ago

RxPhantom wrote:
6 months ago
I'll echo a lot of the recommendations that were made by other posters, specifically N.K. Jemisin. There's a reason her series won the Hugo Award. Three times. Consecutively. Sit on that for a minute and you'll understand why you should DEFINITELY add her Broken Earth series to your list.

I'll also STRONGLY advocate for John Gwynne's The Faithful and Fallen series. It's loosely based on the Old Testament, but it's just a straight-up awesome series. The characters are all extremely memorable. The action is awesome. It's not quite grimdark, but it's definitely not rainbows and sunshine. Amazing pacing and the dialogue is great. Not as much humor as other series, but you don't notice it because the series is so well written IMO.

I'll also highly recommend Michael J. Sullivan's The Ryria Revelation. AMAZING dialogue and the humor is so on point. The writing is also excellent, as you can almost taste the world without getting swallowed up in the prose. Very efficient and excellent book.

Lastly, Guillermo del Toro's The Strain trilogy is an awesome horror-based version of the vampire trope. It's co-written by Clive Barker, so it has great pacing, foreshadowing, and the scenes are amazingly crafted. VERY good read that is quite satisfying.

cheonice
Death to Chronos.

Post by cheonice » 6 months ago

benjameenbear wrote:
6 months ago
RxPhantom wrote:
6 months ago
I'll echo a lot of the recommendations that were made by other posters, specifically N.K. Jemisin. There's a reason her series won the Hugo Award. Three times. Consecutively. Sit on that for a minute and you'll understand why you should DEFINITELY add her Broken Earth series to your list.
I think she's the only one to ever get a Hugo for each installment of her series. It was not an easy read, but a rewarding one. A great story about mothers, daughters, teachers, stones, pirates, history, more stones. Give it a try :)

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 6 months ago

Good lord I'm 20 hours into this book and the only argument that's been made (several thousand times) is
soyjack.jpg
That, and a healthy dose of
extremely weird %$#%
Show
Hide
"He led her to the bedroom. He took off her clothes without a word, in the manner of an owner undressing a person whose consent is not required."

(that's the good guy btw and this scene is framed as erotic)

"Hank, I...I'd give up anything I've ever had in my life, except my being a luxury object of your amusement"
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Lifeless
Not here to contribute.

Post by Lifeless » 6 months ago

DirkGently wrote:
6 months ago
extremely weird %$#%
Show
Hide
"He led her to the bedroom. He took off her clothes without a word, in the manner of an owner undressing a person whose consent is not required."

"Hank, I...I'd give up anything I've ever had in my life, except my being a luxury object of your amusement"
I can't think of the last time I literally cringed, but this is a memorable milestone. Naming a protagonist Hank feels somehow desperate in and of itself.

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 6 months ago

Lifeless wrote:
6 months ago
Naming a protagonist Hank feels somehow desperate in and of itself.
Them's fightin' words.

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb

Post by kirkusjones » 6 months ago

DirkGently wrote:
6 months ago
Good lord I'm 20 hours into this book and the only argument that's been made (several thousand times) is

soyjack.jpg

extremely weird %$#%
Show
Hide

what the hell are you reading?

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 6 months ago

benjameenbear wrote:
6 months ago
I'll also highly recommend Michael J. Sullivan's The Ryria Revelation. AMAZING dialogue and the humor is so on point. The writing is also excellent, as you can almost taste the world without getting swallowed up in the prose. Very efficient and excellent book.
Seconding this recommendation. Great, great series, with characters that are relatable but not predictable, great dialogue and interaction, and a story that moves but isn't wholly predictable. It's a hard one to get right in fantasy, where the tracks are pretty well-worn by now. Highly recommend, especially considering I picked this up expecting very little, I was greatly surprised and delighted with how good it was.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

DirkGently

kirkusjones wrote:
6 months ago
DirkGently wrote:
6 months ago

soyjack.jpg

extremely weird %$#%
Show
Hide

what the hell are you reading?
Atlas shrugged.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Jemolk
Compulsive Jank Builder

Post by Jemolk » 6 months ago

Yeah, that's Atlas Shrugged all right. And to think, I had successfully scrubbed that spoilered scene from my memory up to now. I suppose the question is, why are you reading Atlas Shrugged? I mean, considering that I'm pretty sure you're not in high school and getting it assigned. That was how I ended up reading that drek. Curiosity about whether it was really as bad as its reputation?
39 Commander decks and counting. I'm sure this is fine, and not at all a problem.

DirkGently

Jemolk wrote:
6 months ago
Yeah, that's Atlas Shrugged all right. And to think, I had successfully scrubbed that spoilered scene from my memory up to now. I suppose the question is, why are you reading Atlas Shrugged? I mean, considering that I'm pretty sure you're not in high school and getting it assigned. That was how I ended up reading that drek. Curiosity about whether it was really as bad as its reputation?
@Jemolk yeah basically. A Lefty streamer I watch said it was really badly written so I was curious to pass my own judgement. Initially, despite the silly characterisation and blatant propagandising, I was still mostly enjoying it, but it's really getting on my nerves at this point with how repetitive and boring it is. It might be the most overindulgent book I've ever read.

What do you mean "that spoilered scene"? That's one of many. Because every scene must be repeated over, and over, and over.

Do kids really get assigned this? That's gotta qualify as child abuse.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

benjameenbear

Post by benjameenbear » 6 months ago

DirkGently wrote:
6 months ago
Jemolk wrote:
6 months ago
@Jemolk yeah basically. A Lefty streamer I watch said it was really badly written so I was curious to pass my own judgement. Initially, despite the silly characterisation and blatant propagandising, I was still mostly enjoying it, but it's really getting on my nerves at this point with how repetitive and boring it is. It might be the most overindulgent book I've ever read.

What do you mean "that spoilered scene"? That's one of many. Because every scene must be repeated over, and over, and over.

Do kids really get assigned this? That's gotta qualify as child abuse.
Everything about the damn book is overindulgent. But, you'll walk away from the book with absolute clarity on how Ayn Rand feels about capitalism, value, capitalism, socialism, philosophy, capitalism... The whole book is repetitive. It basically looks at her core philosophy from multiple different viewpoints and finds new ways her philosophy should be applied to that person. Condescending as hell at times, enjoyable at others, and mostly tedious all the way through. Used to be a favorite of mine... and then I grew up.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”