Unreleased and New Card Discussion

Sporegorger_Dragon
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Sporegorger_Dragon » 7 months ago

Mookie wrote:
7 months ago
Cascaaaaade, my favorite mechanic, is returning in Caverns of Ixalan? :o The mustache hides nothing, "discover" - I know who you really are!
Wow, wild. A cascade that gives you the option of just putting the card into your hand, at the cost of being restricted by the number. Suddenly control decks can now "cascade" without the risk of misfiring their critical spells.

Seems almost like "seek" from the Arena cards.
"What's with you and pitcher plants?" -NinjaCaterpie, 27-9-2021

materpillar
the caterpillar
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by materpillar » 7 months ago

… trying to keep on top of my Changeling deck is exhausting with the amount of random super pushed tribal cards they keep releasing. The deck has gone from meme hilarious to my strongest deck by a decent margin.

Mookie
Answers: 48

Post by Mookie » 7 months ago

Sporegorger_Dragon wrote:
7 months ago
Mookie wrote:
7 months ago
Cascaaaaade, my favorite mechanic, is returning in Caverns of Ixalan? :o The mustache hides nothing, "discover" - I know who you really are!
Wow, wild. A cascade that gives you the option of just putting the card into your hand, at the cost of being restricted by the number. Suddenly control decks can now "cascade" without the risk of misfiring their critical spells.

Seems almost like "seek" from the Arena cards.
Differences from cascade:
  • It's not a cast trigger, so it's easier to stop with countermagic. Also, no Tibalt's Trickery shenanigans.
  • It's easier to track the contents of the stack (no more resolving things in reverse order)
  • Alternate casting costs like adventures are explicitly patched
  • Stuff you don't want to cast (like countermagic or an X spell) can just be put into hand
Overall, seems like better/less buggy design... but I'm a bit sad Averna, the Chaos Bloom won't be getting more support.

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 7 months ago

2025's outlook

They already showed concept art and said that MTG in space is mtg's take on space opera.
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

Sporegorger_Dragon

Mookie wrote:
7 months ago
Stuff you don't want to cast (like countermagic or an X spell) can just be put into hand
This is the big thing here. Discover will fit into a lot more decks than cascade.

I wonder how this will effect those Hypergenesis/Living End cascade combo decks.
Mookie wrote:
7 months ago
Overall, seems like better/less buggy design...
It certainly seems that way! Also doesn't chain into itself like cascade can.

PrimevalCommander

Post by PrimevalCommander » 7 months ago

duducrash wrote:
7 months ago
Ojer Taq, Deepest Foundation - makes 3x *creature*tokens. Crazy!

Bartolomé Del Presidio a free sac outlet for 2MV is good!
Ojer Taq is stupid pushed card. Now doubling things is too mundane, how do we get attention? TRIPLE THINGS! :skull:

Sac dude is neat. Though when I read "free sac outlet for 2MV" I was hoping for an artifact or enchantment.

Sporegorger_Dragon

Jurassic Park got a few tidbits too, what caught my eye is Ellie and Alan, Paleontologists

Repeatable discover!

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 7 months ago

Fish
FISH
FISH
FISH
FISH

As much as I generally hate tribal decks I do love merfolk. I've been wanting to build Simic Fish for a while now but the preexisting commanders leave a lot to be desired. Hakbal of the Surging Soul seems pretty good, but let's see what else they have.

materpillar
the caterpillar

TheGildedGoose wrote:
7 months ago
Fish
FISH
FISH
FISH
FISH

As much as I generally hate tribal decks I do love merfolk. I've been wanting to build Simic Fish for a while now but the preexisting commanders leave a lot to be desired. Hakbal of the Surging Soul seems pretty good, but let's see what else they have.
hakbal of the Surging Soul looks insanely busted to me.

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK

materpillar wrote:
7 months ago
Yeah it's pretty silly. I do hope there's something else, though, since it seems kind of boringly generic and strong.

duducrash
Still Learning

Post by duducrash » 7 months ago

PrimevalCommander wrote:
7 months ago
Ojer Taq is stupid pushed card. Now doubling things is too mundane, how do we get attention? TRIPLE THINGS!
at least is restricted to creatures only, so no triple dipping in treasures

Mookie

Sporegorger_Dragon wrote:
7 months ago
It certainly seems that way! Also doesn't chain into itself like cascade can.
No, it can still chain. Some cards may arguably be even stronger - you can hit Hit the Mother Lode with another copy of itself, for example. That said, as an action (instead of trigger), it can be attached to a larger variety of triggers. You could chain 'ETB: discover' abilities into each other, but you can't easily chain activated abilities or death triggers, for example.

Anyway, other thoughts...
  • Craft is weird, but plays well into graveyard-as-a-resource decks. It feels a little like delve / escape, but the payoff is obviously very different.
  • Descended is potentially very strong - self-mill and fetchlands are trivial ways to trigger it. I will note that it specifically looks for cards, so sacrificing tokens unfortunately doesn't work.
  • Descend X feels a little weird name-wise, since at first read I confused it with descended. Other than that... I have similar concerns re: tracking it that came up for threshold and delirium. It's otherwise pretty easy to add into a deck though.
  • Map tokens are roughly as predicted - I think 'explore' and 'tutor for a basic' were the only two options I was considering. Higher-variance than a clue, but nice support for craft and descend.
  • Finality counters aren't really a full mechanic, but a nice tool to have. I'm sad for them to limit recursion looping, but it does generally make for better/less repetitive gameplay (and also enables some effects to be more aggressively costed). Plus there's the option to throw finality counters on your opponents' stuff.
Cards: ...anyway, the hit rate for this set looks crazy high. Lots of stuff my my decks and/or cube. Admittedly, they're frontloading a bunch of rares and mythics (as usual), but the set still looks quite nice so far even with that context.

5colorsrainbow
Answers: 1

Post by 5colorsrainbow » 7 months ago

Mookie wrote:
7 months ago
Alright, time to finally reveal my perfect argument to make Dirk agree with m-

Look, a distraction!

(more thoughts to follow)
Def looking forward to getting more dinosaurs out with Pantlaza, Sun-Favored.

I love DFC cards so I'm def loving the new cards and the mechanics are very flavorful.
“There are no weak Jews. I am descended from those who wrestle angels and kill giants. We were chosen by God. You were chosen by a pathetic little man who can't seem to grow a full mustache"

duducrash
Still Learning

Mookie wrote:
7 months ago
Vito, Fanatic of Aclazotz is a slightly janky but solid Blood Artist variant that also generates more tokens to sacrifice.
I'm wondering if he is good, is he? a recently great great card has been Morbid Opportunist that wants us to sac once per turn which is what I've been doing I think. Vitto dosn't suck, but also doesn't seem great

wishing we get a Cruel Celebrant reprint I want a foil one and war ones have crept up big time

Mookie

duducrash wrote:
7 months ago
Mookie wrote:
7 months ago
Vito, Fanatic of Aclazotz is a slightly janky but solid Blood Artist variant that also generates more tokens to sacrifice.
I'm wondering if he is good, is he? a recently great great card has been Morbid Opportunist that wants us to sac once per turn which is what I've been doing I think. Vitto dosn't suck, but also doesn't seem great

wishing we get a Cruel Celebrant reprint I want a foil one and war ones have crept up big time
If you're only sacrificing one thing, I think Vito is meh. If you sacrifice two, he's on-par with Falkenrath Noble. If you sacrifice three, you get a free 4/3 flyer as a replacement... and since I would be throwing him in Teysa, the vampire demon token also comes with a 1/1 spirit friend. I'll also note that Vito doesn't require you to sacrifice creatures - you can also trigger him with fetchlands / treasure / map tokens / etc. So while I don't think he's necessarily a staple, I do think he's very interesting.

duducrash
Still Learning

Mookie wrote:
7 months ago
you can also trigger him with fetchlands / treasure / map tokens / etc. So while I don't think he's necessarily a staple, I do think he's very interesting.
I missed this. triggering out of fetches is a big deal for me.

He does nothing after the 3rd trigger, right?

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 7 months ago

Hermes_ wrote:
7 months ago
DirkGently wrote:
7 months ago
Magic is a big part of my identity, I'll admit it. Magic is. Not Marvel. Not 40K. Not Doctor Who. Not Street Fighter. Not Jurassic World. Not Walking Dead. But my game is not magic anymore, it's not ME anymore. Now it's Marvel the gathering and 40K the gathering and Jurassic World the gathering. My identity is being taken away from me, in a small way, and you're damn straight I'm not okay with that.
This explanation @DirkGently finally gets it into my thick skull why you feel the way you do about the UB stuff, before I just thought it was old man yelling at cloud, I guess I just never understood because outside of church, I've never really wrapped myself up into an IP. Sure, I'd say that I'm a Gryffindor demigod jedi time lord cluing for looks but any changes that happened I'd just roll with them and move on and not let them bug me. The only times I'd say something was "ruined forever" I've been sarcastic.
Yeah, I think that post cuts deeper than my previous attempts to explain why I hate UB. Marvel in particular feels like another step down into the abyss since it has a much more broad appeal than Dr Who or 40K. My niche interest is getting merged further and further into the broader cultural hive mind, and my identity with it.
materpillar wrote:
7 months ago
You think? Idk, he looks pretty mid to me tbh. Sure, you can guarantee land drops, but once there's something you want on top of your deck he's in the same space as The Fifth Doctor, Nalia de'Arnise, Drana, Liberator of Malakir, Mikaeus, the Lunarch, Tyvar the Bellicose, etc. Not saying he's bad but I don't see "insanely busted".

Idk, lot of splashy looking stuff but once the impact wears off I don't think any of it is properly scary to me. Ojer Taq, Deepest Foundation sounds disgusting but honestly is tripling that much better than doubling? Usually doubling is already a must-answer, so idk that paying 2 more for tripling really adds up. You probably run both, ofc.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Wayta - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Eris - Magda - Ghired2 - Xander - Me - Slogurk - Gilraen - Shelob2 - Kellan1 - Leori - Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Mookie

duducrash wrote:
7 months ago
He does nothing after the 3rd trigger, right?
That is correct, yes - max 3 triggers per turn.
  • Bringer of the Last Gift is our Living Death creature. You only get it if you actually cast it though, so no cheating it out.
  • Bonehoard Dracosaur is our obligatory dragon.... except this is Ixalan, so it's also a dinosaur. I'm actually annoyed that it's not just a dinosaur - the first Ixalan block had zero dragons in it, which I sort of appreciated. Otherwise, seems like a reasonable value engine.

NZB2323

Post by NZB2323 » 7 months ago

Serenade wrote:
7 months ago
Format alternative that ignores UB stuff (including D&D) when?
Would Universes Within cards be legal in that format?

https://scryfall.com/sets/slx

EDIT: Looks like we're getting a Mana Crypt reprint, which is nice. Hopefully the price will come down.
Current Decks
rg Morophon, the infinite Kavu Eowyn, human tribal Legolas, voltron control Wb Tymna/Ravos cleric tribal Neheb, Chicago Bulls tribal Ug Edric pauper

Retired Decks
Edgar Markov Kaalia, angel board wipes Ghen, prison Captain Sisay Ub Nymris, draw go Sarulf, voltron control Niv-Mizzet, combo Winota Sidisi, Zombie Tribal

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 7 months ago

I would allow the SLX cards,

The gods should have had one more colored mana symbol (three total). Make us jump through some hoops, guys.
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 7 months ago

The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

yeti1069

Post by yeti1069 » 7 months ago

materpillar wrote:
7 months ago
TheGildedGoose wrote:
7 months ago
Fish
FISH
FISH
FISH
FISH

Does it? If you have a glut of lands on top, it's draw, which is nice, but otherwise you're getting a surveil per creature with a +1/+1 counter tacked on. It's good, but I don't think I'd call it busted. Not in . If it were in a deck that could make better use of the graveyard, sure.
Mookie wrote:
7 months ago
  • Bringer of the Last Gift is our Living Death creature. You only get it if you actually cast it though, so no cheating it out.
  • Bonehoard Dracosaur is our obligatory dragon.... except this is Ixalan, so it's also a dinosaur. I'm actually annoyed that it's not just a dinosaur - the first Ixalan block had zero dragons in it, which I sort of appreciated. Otherwise, seems like a reasonable value engine.
I feel like the dragon type is there just to say, "Look! Ixalan has been affected by the Phyrexian war, too. Now they have dragons!" I also think it's dumb to combine the types. This could 100% just be a dinosaur. Maybe if it had firebreathing, to distinguish it from other dinos?

materpillar
the caterpillar

yeti1069 wrote:
7 months ago
materpillar wrote:
7 months ago
TheGildedGoose wrote:
7 months ago
Fish
FISH
FISH
FISH
FISH

Does it? If you have a glut of lands on top, it's draw, which is nice, but otherwise you're getting a surveil per creature with a +1/+1 counter tacked on. It's good, but I don't think I'd call it busted. Not in . If it were in a deck that could make better use of the graveyard, sure.
Maybe I'm seeing him through the lenses of a Changeling deck too much that has tons of graveyard abuse.

He's just so much value on a 4-drop though. Even without graveyard abuse I have a hard time not reading him as ETB draw a card, every following turn draw 2 cards which seems really good for a 4 drop.

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK

materpillar wrote:
7 months ago
He's just so much value on a 4-drop though. Even without graveyard abuse I have a hard time not reading him as ETB draw a card, every following turn draw 2 cards which seems really good for a 4 drop.
That's the floor, too, more or less. When you curve into him with 2 or 3 fish already in play, the math changes dramatically. It's easily the most pushed of the face commanders, and you know what? I ain't even mad. Because fish.

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 7 months ago

There's this green Spelunking card on Scryfall. I wonder the value of another card helping CIPT lands enter untapped.
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”