[Off-Topic] Community Chat Thread

Hermes_
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Hermes_ » 11 months ago

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
11 months ago
Hermes_ wrote:
11 months ago
one of the guys in my group posted their decklist on moxified,so this is the type of thing I have to face

https://www.moxfield.com/decks/0SBQeA7T ... HfhR_s4U7s
Eh, I wouldn't worry about this deck. Dude literally has 5 pieces of removal in the whole deck. The deck is a question, and the answer is clearly Farewell! Au revoir, enchantment creatures and Anikthea triggers. See you next game.
or Humility and Opalescence or Extract and just remove a key part
DirkGently wrote:
11 months ago
TheGildedGoose wrote:
11 months ago
Pretty sure One Thousand and One Nights got some extra play after Ali from Cairo dropped.
This is a joke, right? I think it is but I'm not 100%. That said I'm not even sure what the joke is supposed to mean, is there a movie called One Thousand and One Nights? Because I can't find anything about it. There's a couple foreign-language TV shows but they came out after Arabian.

Anyway, I don't have a problem with using public domain stuff because there aren't any incentives for WotC to promote the other IP.
so if WotC doesn't make money off the advertising you're okay with it. :P
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

Hermes_

Hermes_ wrote:
11 months ago
TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
11 months ago
Hermes_ wrote:
11 months ago
one of the guys in my group posted their decklist on moxified,so this is the type of thing I have to face

https://www.moxfield.com/decks/0SBQeA7T ... HfhR_s4U7s
Eh, I wouldn't worry about this deck. Dude literally has 5 pieces of removal in the whole deck. The deck is a question, and the answer is clearly Farewell! Au revoir, enchantment creatures and Anikthea triggers. See you next game.
or Humility and Opalescence or Extract and just remove a key part
DirkGently wrote:
11 months ago
TheGildedGoose wrote:
11 months ago
Pretty sure One Thousand and One Nights got some extra play after Ali from Cairo dropped.
This is a joke, right? I think it is but I'm not 100%. That said I'm not even sure what the joke is supposed to mean, is there a movie called One Thousand and One Nights? Because I can't find anything about it. There's a couple foreign-language TV shows but they came out after Arabian.

Anyway, I don't have a problem with using public domain stuff because there aren't any incentives for WotC to promote the other IP.
[/quote]
so if WotC doesn't make money off the advertising you're okay with it. :P

DirkGently wrote:
11 months ago
@TheAmericanSpirit I'm thinking Presence of the Master|LEG. Own him with the power of Einstein.
that just seems rude :rofl: and i'm going to ask in group chat if any one has one

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 11 months ago

DirkGently wrote:
11 months ago
I'm coming in way after the fact and have no dog in the fight as far as this discussion goes, but I'm pretty sure Goose is referencing Shahrazad. The character is from 1001 nights. The character tells a cascade of stories a la the card to save herself from marrying someone she isn't in love with. Or to save her life, I don't remember. She's in some fairy tale deal whereby at the end of her story her fate is sealed, and so she stretches it, and stretches it, avoiding her fate as long as possible.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 11 months ago

toctheyounger wrote:
11 months ago
DirkGently wrote:
11 months ago
I'm coming in way after the fact and have no dog in the fight as far as this discussion goes, but I'm pretty sure Goose is referencing Shahrazad. The character is from 1001 nights. The character tells a cascade of stories a la the card to save herself from marrying someone she isn't in love with. Or to save her life, I don't remember. She's in some fairy tale deal whereby at the end of her story her fate is sealed, and so she stretches it, and stretches it, avoiding her fate as long as possible.
The entire expansion is built around One Thousand and One Nights and even includes real-world places like, say, Library of Alexandria. Turns out expansions have been Universes Beyond since day 1.

Hermes_

But like I pointed out,as long it's not obnoxious and in your face or promoting something that dirk doesn't like it's okay :P

toctheyounger

TheGildedGoose wrote:
11 months ago
toctheyounger wrote:
11 months ago
DirkGently wrote:
11 months ago
The entire expansion is built around One Thousand and One Nights and even includes real-world places like, say, Library of Alexandria. Turns out expansions have been Universes Beyond since day 1.
Yeah I knew that much. It's the reason the 'likelihood to return to particular plane' scale is called the Rabia scale.

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 11 months ago

TheGildedGoose wrote:
11 months ago
To my understanding - having not read 1001 nights - it also has original concepts, and concepts pulled from other places (the wiki lists an edition of Sandman as a main inspiration I believe). Other than the fact that most names come from other sources (i.e. Aladdin, Ali Baba) instead of slapping a magic name over the top of the original source (i.e. Nylea, God of the Hunt in place of Artemis, Emry, Lurker of the Loch for the lady of the lake), I don't think it's really that different from plenty of other planes that have pretty obvious inspirations.

They pulled Aladdin directly as inspiration because they wanted to make the card and didn't see a reason to modify the character (at least not as far as I can tell) - but they could have made him a 12-foot-tall yeti if they wanted to. They weren't beholden to any outside organization stipulating how they could and couldn't use the IP. If WotC wanted to combine Daryl and Carl into a multi-headed zombie card, though, teams of lawyers would swoop down upon them and pick their carcasses clean. Magic's creativity is now beholden to the desires of other company's marketing departments, and I really don't vibe with that.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

toctheyounger

Really the only tangible difference there is a statute of limitations; Arabian Nights is an old enough IP they don't need to pay anyone to replicate it.

Eh, WotC has always drawn from external sources. Not quite as bluntly as this, but I just don't care anymore. There will probably be a point at which they jump the shark, but we're not there yet. Maybe it'll be at:

Arthur Fonzarelli, Gallant Hero
WUBRG
6/6 Flample
Arthur Fonzarelli cannot be dealt damage by blue sources.

Moonlighter
Lunatic

Post by Moonlighter » 11 months ago

toctheyounger wrote:
11 months ago
Really the only tangible difference there is a statute of limitations; Arabian Nights is an old enough IP they don't need to pay anyone to replicate it.

Eh, WotC has always drawn from external sources. Not quite as bluntly as this, but I just don't care anymore. There will probably be a point at which they jump the shark, but we're not there yet. Maybe it'll be at:

Arthur Fonzarelli, Gallant Hero
WUBRG
6/6 Flample
Arthur Fonzarelli cannot be dealt damage by blue sources.
You could have used "Protection from sharks" or "As long as your opponent controls a shark, Arthur Fonzarelli has flying." I cannot effectively express my disappointment here.
Playing EDH: Alesha Who Smiles at Death; Baba Lysaga, Night Witch; Emiel the Blessed; Breena, the Demagogue; Xenagos, God of Revels; Seton, Krosan Protector; Phelddagrif.

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 10 months ago

so, while sleeving up my Omnath, Locus of Mana forest deck, I realized it honestly wouldn't work (ignoring the fact that it's forest and lost in the woods) in my meta since no one really plays creatures or they play creatures but with poison/infect/toxic maybe I should have ordered a Helix Pinnacle for it too

Legend
Aethernaut

Post by Legend » 10 months ago

The one ring was found.
“Comboing in Commander is like dunking on a seven foot hoop.” – Dana Roach

“Making a deck that other people want to play against – that’s Commander.” – Gavin Duggan

"I want my brain to win games, not my cards." – Sheldon Menery

Hermes_

Legend wrote:
10 months ago
The one ring was found.
In the words of Shaggy "Wasn't me"

Toshi
ʕ•ᴥ•ʔ

Post by Toshi » 10 months ago

So, i bought a single pack of LotR and pulled a foil alt Art Aragorn, the Uniter... seems like i gotta built it.
I don't have a 4C deck anyhow - and hate most other options with a passion.

DirkGently

Post by DirkGently » 10 months ago

Just finished Dune (the audiobook). It was...fine. Really wish the reader had toned down the voices, especially the falsetto female ones. Gets real old, real fast.

Curious how the movies are going to handle showing Paul's sister, given that she's 2 years old, talks like an adult, and has some minor action scenes. Baby Geniuses vibes?
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Hermes_

DirkGently wrote:
10 months ago
Just finished Dune (the audiobook). It was...fine. Really wish the reader had toned down the voices, especially the falsetto female ones. Gets real old, real fast.
I've been listening to this version https://www.audible.com/pd/Dune-Audiobo ... 8dceb62f2c

Some Narrators can do wonders (jim dale) and others it's like they barely do anything to separate the character's voices.

I think i've been spoiled by full cast versions of audio books lol World War Z by Max Brooks however is fully done by a whose who of Hollywood and it's still great imo.

DirkGently

Hermes_ wrote:
10 months ago
I've been listening to this version https://www.audible.com/pd/Dune-Audiobo ... 8dceb62f2c
Pretty sure that's the version I listened to. I didn't have issues with the first half but the second half got pretty grating between the falsetto and the faux-middle-eastern voices. Also I swear there's two almost completely different voices used for Baron Harkonnen.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

materpillar
the caterpillar
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by materpillar » 10 months ago

DirkGently wrote:
10 months ago

Curious how the movies are going to handle showing Paul's sister, given that she's 2 years old, talks like an adult, and has some minor action scenes. Baby Geniuses vibes?
Had you read Dune before? It's one of my favorite books.

I bet they'll age her up a few years. Seems like the simplest solution that can still keep the creepy vibes.

DirkGently

materpillar wrote:
10 months ago

I bet they'll age her up a few years. Seems like the simplest solution that can still keep the creepy vibes.
SPOILER
Show
Hide
First time. It was interesting, the world-building was the highlight for me. I think it was ruined for me a bit by having seen the recent movie that covers the first half of the book. It does definitely read like an older book with the long introspective sections, which were mostly good but occasionally got tedious (I swear he mentions that you can't use a shield on the dunes because of sandworms at least 4 times). I think the biggest detriment for me was some of the extraneous bits - the whole thing where Harkonnen tries to get the Leto to think that Jessica is the traitor seems pointless and ultimately comes to basically nothing, Hawat being forced into the Harkonnen's service also basically comes to nothing...I also wasn't that into the ending, the Baron dies unceremoniously to a minor character and is replaced in the finale by his nephew, who has gotten a lot less screen time and doesn't really have a direct connection to the rest of the plot. Plus it's kind of absurd that Paul literally becomes the emperor by threatening to blow up the spice...that's not really how hostage negotiation works, otherwise Putin would have already taken over the planet by threatening nukes.

Anyway, I'm glad I "read" it, it's obviously a seminal work of sci-fi even if it's a bit dated. I probably would have enjoyed it more if I'd read it when I was younger, before modern technology ruined my attention span and my writing background made me a merciless nitpicker.

I just hope she doesn't look like the kid from the twilight movies. That was the true face of horror.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

materpillar
the caterpillar
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by materpillar » 10 months ago

DirkGently wrote:
10 months ago
materpillar wrote:
10 months ago

SPOILER
Show
Hide
First time. It was interesting, the world-building was the highlight for me. I think it was ruined for me a bit by having seen the recent movie that covers the first half of the book. It does definitely read like an older book with the long introspective sections, which were mostly good but occasionally got tedious (I swear he mentions that you can't use a shield on the dunes because of sandworms at least 4 times). I think the biggest detriment for me was some of the extraneous bits - the whole thing where Harkonnen tries to get the Leto to think that Jessica is the traitor seems pointless and ultimately comes to basically nothing, Hawat being forced into the Harkonnen's service also basically comes to nothing...I also wasn't that into the ending, the Baron dies unceremoniously to a minor character and is replaced in the finale by his nephew, who has gotten a lot less screen time and doesn't really have a direct connection to the rest of the plot. Plus it's kind of absurd that Paul literally becomes the emperor by threatening to blow up the spice...that's not really how hostage negotiation works, otherwise Putin would have already taken over the planet by threatening nukes.

Anyway, I'm glad I "read" it, it's obviously a seminal work of sci-fi even if it's a bit dated. I probably would have enjoyed it more if I'd read it when I was younger, before modern technology ruined my attention span and my writing background made me a merciless nitpicker.

I just hope she doesn't look like the kid from the twilight movies. That was the true face of horror.
SPOILER
Show
Hide
I first read it when I was a lot younger so it has a lot of nostalgia for me and I can turn more of a blind eye to its faults. I've actually read the first 5 Dune books. I find the world building to be fascinating, so much so it also allows to overlook faults too. I'm also a pretty big fan of political slowburns, so I didn't mind the pacing at all. I hadn't noticed your other points but I can see them now that you mention them.

Sand worms are just so damn cool. Have you played Dune: Imperium? It's a deckbuilding/worker placement board game. It's a stupidly good board game and does an exceptional job with the Dune theme.

Hermes_

we've been around for four years now :O

Hermes_

So, my group played last night and i ran my 97 forest Omnath, Locus of Mana deck ,and while i didn't win i got the +1/+1 counters up to 33 lol

Over all out of the matches we played, i only lost two

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 10 months ago

A random thought about MtG that keeps occurring to me, and I never say it. Here it is, for posterity, and to get it off my radar.

Icingdeath, Frost Tyrant - I can't take this card seriously. It sounds like a cupcake.

ISBPathfinder
Bebopin

Post by ISBPathfinder » 10 months ago

toctheyounger wrote:
10 months ago
A random thought about MtG that keeps occurring to me, and I never say it. Here it is, for posterity, and to get it off my radar.

Icingdeath, Frost Tyrant - I can't take this card seriously. It sounds like a cupcake.
When the cupcake is eaten, it turns into a butter knife to frost the next.
[EDH] Vadrok List (Suicide Chads) | Evelyn List (Vamp Mill) | Sanwell List | Danitha List | Indominus List | Ratadrabik List

Hermes_

And my custom dragon shield sleeves came in today

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”