Unreleased and New Card Discussion

toctheyounger
Pronoun: he / him

Post by toctheyounger » 1 year ago

DirkGently wrote:
1 year ago
Can't wait to pick up the singles for pennies in a few months.
Ah but that's how they justify the price. A few months from now there won't be any singles about because the print run is so small, because it's a special release. Or worse, if there's delays like with WH40K you get inflated costs because there's a demand for the cards that are still somewhere on a container ship in the middle of the ocean; they're printed but not in circulation.

I don't disagree with your assessments thus far though. There's some really cracked designs here (Orcish Bowmasters and Delighted Halfling among others) but a lot of the legends are pretty mid. I know one of the Sams is going to be a pretty great Protean Hulk shell, but there's a lot of meh here from a power perspective. I'm just disappointed for my boi the Witch King tbh. He got done dirty. WotC did say they sacrificed power for flavor and I'm ok with that, but at the same time this stuff going straight into modern you gotta wonder if the format will even notice most of it.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

Serenade
UnderKing

Post by Serenade » 1 year ago

King of the Oathbreakers
A dumb little BW spirit general that just does dumb little spirit things and makes dumb little spirit tokens? I need to comb through MID/VOW again for whatever they added to the pile of dumb little spirit-tribal stuff. Thalisse, Reverent Medium still might be the better play, but this guy makes me want to finish that deck.

Spirit Bonds
Ethereal Absolution
Etchings of the Chosen
Invasion of Tolvada // The Broken Sky
Mirri, Cat Warrior counts as a Cat Warrior.

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 1 year ago

@toctheyounger but unlike 40k, there are set/collector boosters that will presumably include these things. I think the most expensive new card found in the MOC precons is $5, I expect these will be similar, though ofc we'll have to see how many new cards there are and if they're as awful as what's been spoiled already.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Wayta - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Eris - Magda - Ghired2 - Xander - Me - Slogurk - Gilraen - Shelob2 - Kellan1 - Leori - Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

onering
Answers: 1
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by onering » 1 year ago

toctheyounger wrote:
1 year ago
DirkGently wrote:
1 year ago
Can't wait to pick up the singles for pennies in a few months.
Ah but that's how they justify the price. A few months from now there won't be any singles about because the print run is so small, because it's a special release. Or worse, if there's delays like with WH40K you get inflated costs because there's a demand for the cards that are still somewhere on a container ship in the middle of the ocean; they're printed but not in circulation.

I don't disagree with your assessments thus far though. There's some really cracked designs here (Orcish Bowmasters and Delighted Halfling among others) but a lot of the legends are pretty mid. I know one of the Sams is going to be a pretty great Protean Hulk shell, but there's a lot of meh here from a power perspective. I'm just disappointed for my boi the Witch King tbh. He got done dirty. WotC did say they sacrificed power for flavor and I'm ok with that, but at the same time this stuff going straight into modern you gotta wonder if the format will even notice most of it.
They sacrificed power for flavor, yet the flavor is very much a mixed bag. You have some neat things like stuff from the books that didn't make the films being in it (Tom Bombadil, the Scouring of the Shire, etc), but a lot of the flavor fails miserably. The showcase mechanic of the set, the Ring tempting crap, is a horrendous flavor fail. Lots of generic art that seems more in line with Dominaria than LotR, most of the legends' mechanics not particularly lining up well with the characters, there being goblins in the set (in LotR, there are no actual goblins in the MTG sense. 'Goblin' is just an informal term for orcs used primarily by Hobbits. Goblins Uruk Hai, regular Uruks, orcs, all are orcs and at most they refer to orcs of different ranks or tribes, while racial creature types in magic mean separate species).

Dunharrow

Post by Dunharrow » 1 year ago

TBF I think they decided at the last second to make this modern-legal. I don't think they made it for Modern.
@onering Maro explained that even though in the books they are one race in MTG they are two so they split it up. Would you rather everything be a Goblin? Or everything be an orc? No easy answer. It would be weird to me if they were all Orcs. The Goblin King is such an iconic character.
Biggest flavour fail to me is that Elrond doesn't have the type "Elf Human Noble". I mean, I would have even gone a step further and thrown in Avatar since he is 1/8 maia.
I for one am very excited about this. I know everyone is bashing it but honestly people bash every set that ever comes out. Power level wise, I am sure a few cards will be highly sought out. Value wise, hard to say now. Unlike the magic IP, it is harder to reprint these. LOTR art/names will never be reprinted. Alternate names are currently not being considered for non secret lair products. So for all you know, these may be worth a lot in the long run.
In any case, I am mostly interested in having fun playing with these cards and collecting them not for value but as a fan of LOTR and MtG. You can hate on the flavour choices they made, but I think there is more good than bad here.
The New World fell not to a sword but to a meme

DirkGently

I'm not a flavor guy, granted, but I think what annoys me the most about the flavor is how every character of note has 3-4 versions, most of them absolutely awful. C'mon @Dunharrow, you've got Frodo as your avatar, you can't look at Frodo Baggins and tell me it doesn't kill you inside that the proper name of the character is attached to such a piece of absolute dreck. Imo they should have had at most 2 versions of each character, one in the precons and one in the set. If you open Frodo Baggins in a draft, it should mean something, dammit. The number of legendary creatures is absolutely bonkers in this set and so many are irrelevant repeats. Past a point it starts to feel like they ran out of ideas. "We still haven't filled the set, what should we do? Invent some background flavor? Maybe pull some deep cuts?" "MORE GANDALFS."

Based on what we've seen I think the price split is going to be particular egregious this set. The ring and palantir are just absurd imo. I think they're trying to create another Jeweled Lotus situation where a powerful colorless mythic that goes into tons of decks massively drives pack sales, while the price of the rest of the set craters. CMR did have a really really good draft environment, so we'll see if that happens for LTR - a lot can be forgiven if the draft experience is good. But forking over $40 instead of $25 for every draft is a pretty poor start, especially when I know I'll be primarily opening garbage.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Eris - Magda - Ghired2 - Xander - Me - Slogurk - Gilraen - Shelob2 - Kellan1 - Leori - Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Dunharrow

DirkGently wrote:
1 year ago
I'm not a flavor guy, granted, but I think what annoys me the most about the flavor is how every character of note has 3-4 versions, most of them absolutely awful. C'mon @Dunharrow, you've got Frodo as your avatar, you can't look at Frodo Baggins and tell me it doesn't kill you inside that the proper name of the character is attached to such a piece of absolute dreck. Imo they should have had at most 2 versions of each character, one in the precons and one in the set. If you open Frodo Baggins in a draft, it should mean something, dammit. The number of legendary creatures is absolutely bonkers in this set and so many are irrelevant repeats. Past a point it starts to feel like they ran out of ideas. "We still haven't filled the set, what should we do? Invent some background flavor? Maybe pull some deep cuts?" "MORE GANDALFS."

Based on what we've seen I think the price split is going to be particular egregious this set. The ring and palantir are just absurd imo. I think they're trying to create another Jeweled Lotus situation where a powerful colorless mythic that goes into tons of decks massively drives pack sales, while the price of the rest of the set craters. CMR did have a really really good draft environment, so we'll see if that happens for LTR - a lot can be forgiven if the draft experience is good. But forking over $40 instead of $25 for every draft is a pretty poor start, especially when I know I'll be primarily opening garbage.
I mean, Frodo is a pacifist so I wouldn't want him to be particularly strong, so P/T seems fine. And as I haven't played with the Ring Tempts you mechanic, I really don't know how strong he will be. That's all I mean. He could be great, I have no clue.
I wish they had gone for DFCs rather than multiple versions of characters. Gandalf the Grey/Gandalf the White is the most obvious.
Samwise Gamgee, Gardener / Samwise the Brave
etc
The characters changed a lot over the story so they need to show that. And barring DFCs (sad face), multiple copies was probably the best option? I don't think I am going to be upset if I have two different frodos in play.
Though I will say that 4 copies of certain creatures seems too much. 3 parts to the book, let's max it out as 3 copies of each creature. But I would rather get 4 gandalfs than no gandalfs, so I am still happy overall.
Also, this way, you are more likely to open your favourite character in draft. It will feel more like Lord of the Rings to have uncommon Sam and Legolas than to just have a bunch of random orcs and Lotho as your legends.

What does suck though is when your secret favourites like Theoden come out as meh uncommons. Crossing my fingers for more Theodens lol.

DirkGently

Dunharrow wrote:
1 year ago
I mean, Frodo is a pacifist so I wouldn't want him to be particularly strong, so P/T seems fine. And as I haven't played with the Ring Tempts you mechanic, I really don't know how strong he will be. That's all I mean. He could be great, I have no clue.
As the official MTGNexus card evaluator (if I'm not getting paid I'm at least going to claim a made-up title) let me assure you, he is extremely bad. The ceiling for tempt is pretty low, the first addition is probably the best and it's just skulk. Second mode granting loot is ok, but merfolk looter only costs 2, doesn't require attacks, and isn't played. And the the third and fourth modes don't really do much of anything. Most frustrating, though, is how bad his second ability is. He's got low enough power that, if he's the ring bearer, few things can block him anyway, rendering the ability irrelevant. And if you buff his power with equipment, you opponent probably wants to block him anyway to avoid commander damage. It's frustratingly awful. I doubt he's even good in limited, though I'd have to think about it more.
I wish they had gone for DFCs rather than multiple versions of characters. Gandalf the Grey/Gandalf the White is the most obvious.
Samwise Gamgee, Gardener / Samwise the Brave
etc
I do think that would have been a much better option.
Though I will say that 4 copies of certain creatures seems too much. 3 parts to the book, let's max it out as 3 copies of each creature. But I would rather get 4 gandalfs than no gandalfs, so I am still happy overall.
Ah c'mon, have some standards, Gandalf not getting printed in a LotR set was impossible. You can't give wotc a W for doing the literal bare minimum.
Also, this way, you are more likely to open your favourite character in draft. It will feel more like Lord of the Rings to have uncommon Sam and Legolas than to just have a bunch of random orcs and Lotho as your legends.
Even without printing a thousand duplicates, there are quite a few unique creatures in LotR. I think you could fill most of the rare slots with them, to where you'd be very likely to draft, or at least have the option of drafting, a couples names you recognize. Imo it's kinda lame that Frodo is going to be trivially available in most drafts. Elesh Norn being a major character only available at mythic meant it was super exciting to open her on the rare occasions that it happened. I'd much rather have Gimli or something be the only big character in my deck, but he's a rare and he's awesome, than have the entire fellowship but they're all jank. Then at least it's feels like "I drafted a Gimli deck and he wrecked face" instead of "I had a deck and Frodo was a card in it I guess."

Real talk, Lotho, Corrupt Shirriff is better than most of the fellowship lmao.
What does suck though is when your secret favourites like Theoden come out as meh uncommons. Crossing my fingers for more Theodens lol.
I think he'll at least be in the precon, right? Rohan is a whole deck and the others have alt commanders.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

toctheyounger

Theoden has to be the face card of a precon surely. Also I'd love to see a before and after version. They've got to really.

Big Theoden stan here too. The one last ride scene from the movies gives me chills every time. He's also just one of the most relatable characters to me.

5colorsrainbow
Answers: 1

Post by 5colorsrainbow » 1 year ago

I kinda like having multiple cards for the same character. It help fixes the issues of getting all the colors of the character in one card, can show the characters at multiple points at the story/using certain set of powers over others and if one version of them isn't your vibe you might like one of the other versions.

That said I think they should only do it for sets like this or The Brother's War where we won't like see these characters ever again on cards and have dense amount of story for it (LOTR being 3 books worth, Brother's War taking place from Urza and Mishra childhoods to being older men). And I think a character should have 4 version max; 1 at uncommon, rare and mythic and maybe one more for a commander deck.
“There are no weak Jews. I am descended from those who wrestle angels and kill giants. We were chosen by God. You were chosen by a pathetic little man who can't seem to grow a full mustache"

duducrash
Still Learning

Post by duducrash » 1 year ago

Funny, Im really loving the set so far. I think its filled with great designs, great art and awesome flavour. It does not seem pushed, but I dont think that speaks to the quality of a set. Power level too high is often a bad thing IMHO, they should sell cool cards because they are cool, not because you absolutely need it because they power crept the game like previous direct to modern products. Similar thing happened to strixhaven and Kaldhein. Cool sets lost in the middle of crazy powerfull sets that shook up magic more than any one set should

I also like several versions of cards portraying different times of their journey.

Im into the whole tolkien thing, but like, casually. Not a huge token nerd. I dont think enjoying the books Ive read make me too biased pro or against or anything but Ive been loooving this set.

NZB2323

Post by NZB2323 » 1 year ago

toctheyounger wrote:
1 year ago
Theoden has to be the face card of a precon surely. Also I'd love to see a before and after version. They've got to really.

Big Theoden stan here too. The one last ride scene from the movies gives me chills every time. He's also just one of the most relatable characters to me.
I hope we get a card about that scene. The Battle of Helmsdeep is my favorite movie scene to run on the treadmill to, and I can always sprint at the end no matter how tired I am.
Current Decks
rg Morophon, the infinite Kavu Eowyn, human tribal Legolas, voltron control Wb Tymna/Ravos cleric tribal Neheb, Chicago Bulls tribal Ug Edric pauper

Retired Decks
Edgar Markov Kaalia, angel board wipes Ghen, prison Captain Sisay Ub Nymris, draw go Sarulf, voltron control Niv-Mizzet, combo Winota Sidisi, Zombie Tribal

PrimevalCommander

Post by PrimevalCommander » 1 year ago

Mines of Moria, Minas Tirith , The Shire, Barad-dûr all looking like solid utility lands. Rivendell is not horrible either. Really liking what they did with these lands. Good design and abilities.

DirkGently

Unofficial Spoiler Discussion
looks like we got more spicy leaks. And honestly, I have to admit, they look a lot better than most of what's been officially spoiled so far. LTC Grima is Chaos Wand as a commander, which is fun. The Balrog, Durin's Bane isn't really my cup of tea but he's a hell of a lot spicier than flame of udun. The Watcher in the Water is an interesting build-around (and strong contender for "worst limited rare that's still good in commander). The Battle of Bywater is a strong wrath for the right deck, at only 3mv. Sharkey, Tyrant of the Shire probably doesn't do anything but he'll annoy my utility land manabases lol. Goldberry, River-Daughter is definitely interesting, seems like there's probably ways to abuse the ability. Galadriel finally gets a non-trash iteration in galadriel of lothlorien. and mithril coat is going to see a TOOON of play.
I just realized some of the cards I talked about weren't leaks but I can't be arsed to split them up, so your call.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

toctheyounger

Great to see Erkenbrand, notably missing from the films. Not a fantastic card, Ogre Battledriver exists and is not tribal tied. But still nice I guess.

I love how superfluous Celeborn is, it's a real flavor win.

RedCheese

Post by RedCheese » 1 year ago

I think the art and interpretation of this set really bad. Look how they massacred my boy Glorfindel, Dauntless Rescuer .

Of course theres neat cards here and there. But so many legendaries potraying a character became too much in my opinion.

DirkGently

Dunharrow wrote:
1 year ago
The characters changed a lot over the story so they need to show that. And barring DFCs (sad face), multiple copies was probably the best option?
So did the witch king change a lot between Witch-King of Angmar and Witch-king, Bringer or Ruin?
Of course, as we all know, the Balrog underwent a lot of character development between the point where was almost on the bridge, and the point where he was on the bridge :P
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Dunharrow

DirkGently wrote:
1 year ago
Dunharrow wrote:
1 year ago
The characters changed a lot over the story so they need to show that. And barring DFCs (sad face), multiple copies was probably the best option?
So did the witch king change a lot between Witch-King of Angmar and Witch-king, Bringer or Ruin?
Of course, as we all know, the Balrog underwent a lot of character development between the point where was almost on the bridge, and the point where he was on the bridge :P
congrats on your internet points Dirk

DirkGently

Dunharrow wrote:
1 year ago
You seem really defensive about criticisms of this set. I'm not criticizing you, I'm criticizing wotc for marketing off name recognition. I suspect someone didn't have confidence that the set could sell off good gameplay, interesting designs, and a well-realized version of Tolkein's world, so instead they crammed it as full of as many name drops as they could, and probably the most blatant attempt to pander to commander players yet seen. We're over 80 legends even without the commander precons, even with spoilers still ongoing - commander legends only had 69, and the draft format literally required that you build around legendaries.

Those criticisms don't mean you can't like things about the set, though, or like the set overall, even if you agree with them. I've got plenty of criticisms of sets that I love.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Mookie
Answers: 48

Post by Mookie » 1 year ago

More stuff! Looks like there are also some spoiler cards (plus precon cards), but I'll ignore those for now.

Overall, I'm content with the set so far.
  • Tempt / the ring is a fine mechanic. It doesn't read as super splashy, but I do think it will play reasonably well without requiring too much additional bookkeeping. There are some decks that can take advantage of it, and others that can't, but that's true of most mechanics. I appreciate that it plays in a different design space from equipment, which tend to be best when piled onto one giant voltron creature - in this case, small creatures make the best ring-bearers.
  • I have mixed feelings re: all the legends (particularly at uncommon) and the multiple versions of some characters, but I also recognize this is somewhat subjective. I generally prefer legends to feel 'special', and a lot of them are pretty bland... but on the other hand, there are probably some people out there loving all the deep cuts, even if the characters in question are on a relatively simple uncommon. I do generally like the 'legends matters' cards, at least.
  • Power level-wise, I think there are some strong cards in the set, but there are a lot of weak cards too. It feels like the complexity was lowered a little, and that may be due to it being marketed more towards new players. It's hard for me to compare to a normal Standard set - it generally looks weaker than Modern Horizons, but then there's Orcish Bowmasters... Generally, if a set has stuff for my EDH decks, I'm content with it - I don't care about price / value because I just buy singles.

Dunharrow

DirkGently wrote:
1 year ago
Dunharrow wrote:
1 year ago
You seem really defensive about criticisms of this set. I'm not criticizing you, I'm criticizing wotc for marketing off name recognition. I suspect someone didn't have confidence that the set could sell off good gameplay, interesting designs, and a well-realized version of Tolkein's world, so instead they crammed it as full of as many name drops as they could, and probably the most blatant attempt to pander to commander players yet seen. We're over 80 legends even without the commander precons, even with spoilers still ongoing - commander legends only had 69, and the draft format literally required that you build around legendaries.

Those criticisms don't mean you can't like things about the set, though, or like the set overall, even if you agree with them. I've got plenty of criticisms of sets that I love.
I don't think I am being defensive Dirk. I am just saying that I like what I have seen and feel people, like always, are hating on the set before they play it. Sure, I wish some things were slightly different. I am not sure why you brought up WiKi and Balrog. You're right, they are not characters that had a lot of growth. But Sam sure did. So I don't know what to do with your point and decided not to argue it. Are you saying it makes sense to have 4 Gandalfs but not two balrogs? I doubt it, since you are very much against 4 Gandalfs.
I think you are also being very cynical about the decisions Wizards made. You think they lacked confidence in a Lord of the Rings set?
Of all the sets they have ever made, this is the most guaranteed to do well. It is the most well-known fantasy IP in existence.
They wanted to have multiple versions of the main characters to show their growth. But also people like Sam the Gardener and people like Sam the Hero. So if you're going to make a LotR set, you may as well make as many people happy as you can.
So they made a decision to have multiple copies of the main characters. Once they started doing that, they made multiple versions of iconic characters.
There is only one Mouth of Sauron. Only one Grishnåkht Brash Instigator. Only once Prince Imrahil. These are not well-known characters.
I also think they focused on the draft experience. To feel like you are part of the fellowship, you will have members of the fellowship in every deck you draft. To feel the forces of Evil, the iconic evil characters will show up in every game. If Gandalf is a mythic and you see him every 4-5 draft pods, it's not really feeling like Lord of the Rings.

You may disagree, but I am willing to draft this and see for myself how it feels to play it. I don't care if I am playing an uncommon Gollum, I am in it for the gameplay and for the flavour. Neither cares about constructed power level or rarity.

And I get it, this is the Commander forum. Power level matters. But if your focus is commander, stop paying attention to the uncommons.

It bewilders me to see so many people hating this product. I guess people are passionate about lord of the rings and are upset that it isn't perfect in their eyes.

The perfect lord of the rings set for me would have been entirely illustrated by Alan Lee. Dunharrow would be a Land card. Galadriel would be Golgari. The Maiar would be Angels, not Avatars. Sauron would punish opponents for being tempted by the ring. But I didn't expect perfection. I am just expecting to enjoy this.

DirkGently

Dunharrow wrote:
1 year ago
I don't think I am being defensive Dirk. I am just saying that I like what I have seen and feel people, like always, are hating on the set before they play it. Sure, I wish some things were slightly different. I am not sure why you brought up WiKi and Balrog. You're right, they are not characters that had a lot of growth. But Sam sure did. So I don't know what to do with your point and decided not to argue it. Are you saying it makes sense to have 4 Gandalfs but not two balrogs? I doubt it, since you are very much against 4 Gandalfs.
I like your idea of having all the character-development-y characters get a double sided card. Gandalf the Grey transforms into Gandalf the White when he dies, Frodo Baggins transforms into Sauron's Bane when he deals combat damage to an opponent while the ringbearer, etc.

My joke about the witch king and balrog was just to demonstrate that I don't think the "multiple cards were necessary to show character progression" argument holds water, because they're doing it with characters which that doesn't hold true for. Witch king now has 3 cards, and none of them even have him on a horse pre-river-crossing. So it seems clear to me that the motivation was something else.
I think you are also being very cynical about the decisions Wizards made. You think they lacked confidence in a Lord of the Rings set?
Of all the sets they have ever made, this is the most guaranteed to do well. It is the most well-known fantasy IP in existence.
That's true, lacking confidence might be a bit strong. But I do think the decision to print many versions of each character was motivated by a desire to move packs over making a thematically cohesive set.
They wanted to have multiple versions of the main characters to show their growth. But also people like Sam the Gardener and people like Sam the Hero. So if you're going to make a LotR set, you may as well make as many people happy as you can.
So they made a decision to have multiple copies of the main characters. Once they started doing that, they made multiple versions of iconic characters.
There is only one Mouth of Sauron. Only one Grishnåkht Brash Instigator. Only once Prince Imrahil. These are not well-known characters.
Exactly. They printed multiple versions of the main characters because they knew names would sell, even if it didn't really make thematic sense. Even for characters with character development that are somewhat justified, is it even clear which version is the further-developed character? Can you arrange the Frodos in chronological order with certainty? Sauron's bane last, sure, but tbf sauron's bane encapsulates the entire character in one card, why do we need the others? Honestly from a mechanical standpoint you could argue Sauron's Bane FIRST, since it depicts him from the start as a very weak character with no abilities. Frodo, Determined Hero looks like he's in Moria, but the only context for that is the picture really - every version of Frodo depicts him with sting, so mechanically it says nothing unique about his character at that point. And Frodo, Adventurous Hobbit looks like it could be pretty much anywhere. And Frodo Baggins...I'll allow that mechanically it sorta follows that, as he's leaving Rivendell and acquiring the fellowship, it sooorta makes sense to have ring tempting triggers alongside legendary creatures? But why "must be blocked"? Obviously Sauron wants to acquire the ring from whoever has it, not particular to Frodo at all. The whole point was that he was unobtrusive and unimportant, so the flavor honestly feels upside down to me.

Imo Frodo, Sauron's Bane is a great depiction of the entire character arc. The other versions don't really add anything except give players a way to make a Frodo Commander Deck if they don't like Sauron's Bane mechanically. Which feels very pandery to me. Commit to your depiction of the character. As-is it feels like "oh, you don't like how we designed Frodo? How about this one? No? This one? How about this one?" Have some confidence, imo, grow a backbone.
I also think they focused on the draft experience. To feel like you are part of the fellowship, you will have members of the fellowship in every deck you draft. To feel the forces of Evil, the iconic evil characters will show up in every game. If Gandalf is a mythic and you see him every 4-5 draft pods, it's not really feeling like Lord of the Rings.
I don't really think draft is a reasonable place to expect to play out the entire story of lord of the rings, - I think it's enough to thematically replicate perhaps a single battle involving some subset of the fellowship and/or Sauron's forces. I mean does it "feel" like lord of the rings when you're fighting your frodo+gandalf+gimli deck against your opponents frodo+sam+legolas deck, and both teams have their own simultaneous ringbearers? I just don't think limited can deliver these sorts of experiences.
You may disagree, but I am willing to draft this and see for myself how it feels to play it. I don't care if I am playing an uncommon Gollum, I am in it for the gameplay and for the flavour. Neither cares about constructed power level or rarity.
I do hope (and am open to) the limited format is good.
And I get it, this is the Commander forum. Power level matters. But if your focus is commander, stop paying attention to the uncommons.
I mean there are a lot of bad rares and mythics too.

Fewer in today's batch, though, tbf.
It bewilders me to see so many people hating this product. I guess people are passionate about lord of the rings and are upset that it isn't perfect in their eyes.
For me a big part of it is the inflated prices. If this was at standard prices I'd be a lot less bothered about cracking a junk rare.
The perfect lord of the rings set for me would have been entirely illustrated by Alan Lee. Dunharrow would be a Land card. Galadriel would be Golgari. The Maiar would be Angels, not Avatars. Sauron would punish opponents for being tempted by the ring. But I didn't expect perfection. I am just expecting to enjoy this.
Fair enough.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

materpillar
the caterpillar

Post by materpillar » 1 year ago

@DirkGently
Eh. I think the multiple of each character is fine. It increases the odds of someone liking whatever random character (now using Gandalf as an example) will have a card representing that character that they'll enjoy using. I think having a couple cool Gandalfs and a couple of dud Gandalfs is waaaaaaay better than the risk of having a single dud Gandalf.

Case in point. I think the Balrog is cool. I'm much much happier having both The Balrog, Flame of Udûn and The Balrog, Durin's Bane existing as opposed to just The Balrog, Flame of Udûn.

Besides, don't you just kinda hate universes beyond? I'd be willing to bet you decided to dislike this set the day you saw it's name and no amount of cool cards could have changed that.

PrimevalCommander

Post by PrimevalCommander » 1 year ago

unofficial spoiler
Show
Hide
Is it just me, or is Flame of Anor a very solid 3 mana instant, and near auto include in decks with a wizard commander? I'm wondering if that mana cost is wrong because that looks like a lot of value at 3.

The Mithril Coat is also very good.

DirkGently

materpillar wrote:
1 year ago
@DirkGently
Eh. I think the multiple of each character is fine. It increases the odds of someone liking whatever random character (now using Gandalf as an example) will have a card representing that character that they'll enjoy using. I think having a couple cool Gandalfs and a couple of dud Gandalfs is waaaaaaay better than the risk of having a single dud Gandalf.
I'm not really big into the magic story, but I always thought Ertai seemed pretty cool. However all of his versions kinda suck and I'm not interested in playing them as a commander. That's just how it goes. If you really like a character, you might have to play a crappy commander, and if you really like a mechanic you might have to play a character you don't like that much. Bending over backwards to make sure every single person is happy feels way too pandery to me.

Games are art, and art means having a vision and sticking to it, not kowtowing to the masses.
Case in point. I think the Balrog is cool. I'm much much happier having both The Balrog, Flame of Udûn and The Balrog, Durin's Bane existing as opposed to just The Balrog, Flame of Udûn.
There are two possibilities.

Either the development team knew that Flame of Udun was bad but threw it in anyway. We can only speculate as to why, but based on the rest of the set, my best guess is that there was a blanket decision that any character that anybody remembers had to get multiple cards regardless of whether those cards were interesting or added anything of value to the set thematically, mechanically, or aesthetically.

Or they didn't realize that Flame of Udun was extremely uninteresting and bad, in which case the development team is unimaginably incompetent.

I don't think either option speaks well of the process.
Besides, don't you just kinda hate universes beyond? I'd be willing to bet you decided to dislike this set the day you saw it's name and no amount of cool cards could have changed that.
I've stated that my biggest issue with UB is that I don't like passively endorsing media that I either don't support or don't know about in order to have full access to the card pool. Case in point, I think Fortnite is a predatory game that has had massively negative impacts on the video game industry and I would despise playing Fortnite themed cards - luckily the ones we got were reprints. Other franchises, like Warhammer and Street Fighter, I'm mostly just unaware of, but I still don't like advertising for those brands as part of playing the game. Hence why I prefer to alter any of those cards that I use, or use the magic-IP versions if possible.

LotR doesn't have that issue for a couple reasons: One, I've read the books and watched the movies, so I'm familiar enough with it to consider myself a minor fan at least. And two, it's old and popular enough that it's essentially public domain, albeit not in the technical sense. I don't feel like I'm playing an advertisement for anything when I (will) play a LotR deck, based on what I've seen. I was initially concerned that the set would include the Amazon series characters, but happily it looks like I was completely wrong about that.

And while I don't put nearly as much stock in the magic aesthetic as some people do when criticizing UB (I was completely fine with neo kami), it's also worth noting that LotR doesn't stray very far from that either.

Personally I'm not very attached to the magic storyline or characters and I'd be 100% okay if they wanted to use public domain IP for set inspiration. I just don't want to feel like I'm being unwittingly used as a billboard.

If anything, the thing that's made me annoyed the most with this set is writing my GBU article because HOLY SWEET JESUS there are so many legendaries, and the vast majority are uninteresting garbage. Every time I think I'm caught up, another dozen drop. Oh, and the price point is a big one. I would mind this set a LOT less if the price was the same as standard sets, given that the power level looks the same if not lower. Not looking forward to paying extra for all my drafts and prereleases.

But who knows, it's always hard to evaluate the power of a set during spoilers because it's easy (at least for me) to be swayed heavily by the last batch. And it's even harder to gauge what the limited environment will be like. I do genuinely hope that the set is fun to play. That won't remove my criticisms about redundant legendaries etc, but it can certainly drown it out.
Perm Decks

Flux Decks
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”