[Off-Topic] Community Chat Thread

materpillar
the caterpillar
Pronoun: Unlisted

Post by materpillar » 11 months ago

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
11 months ago
@materpillar we mostly do, no doubt. But man, have I mulled building a copy of your high cmc deck more than once. I'm afraid my meta is just a little too cutthroat to have much opportunity to play it, but every time I sit down across a bunch of precons and have to borrow a deck in order to play nice, I think of that glorious insane pile of yours.

We're not so different, you and I. We both like winning with handicaps. My rules just allow for more war crimes in service of a glorious combat victory than yours might.
I don't know. Someday I'm going to cast a turn 5 Combustible Gearhulk, my opponent is going to take the damage and then I'm going to flip Draco + Autochthon Wurm + Progenitus.. That feels like a war crime to me. XD

My high CMC pile is likely more lethal than you give it credit. It preys pretty hard on other battlecruiser decks. It can goldfish kill the table by turn 7 if it spikes hard enough. The deck has a lot of ways to turn mana into damage. Mindshrieker is statistically expected to 40-0 someone with 7 activations. Pyromancy is likely to be lethal with around 5. With everyone doing more fair combat damage oriented things, and chunking the table down naturally it isn't hard to burn people out at all. As such Esika, God of the Tree // The Prismatic Bridge into unanswered T4 Mirari's Wake will get people dead extremely fast. Similarly, if Cabal Coffers ever comes online, the deck will start pumping out damage.

But it basically has no instant speed interaction to disrupt combos and folds hard to control decks that are chock full of card advantage and low to the ground interaction. I'd classify it as noticeably stronger than precons. It can fit pretty comfortably into metas where the average game length is 8-10. It'll struggle in the 5-6 turn length for sure though. It'll murder the poor 15+ turn precon slugfest decks.
Dragonlover wrote:
11 months ago
@materpillar what did you think of my wifes Grozoth deck in the end? You know, once I'd remembered to actually send you the link like a normal human.

Dragonlover
I didn't have too many thoughts about it. My high CMC deck plays more like a burn deck with Keen Duelist effects. Your wife's looks to be more of a reanimator deck. I don't think my experience will translate super well. I would recommend Skull Storm though. Grozoth into next turn Blasphemous Act + Skull Storm will put the entire table to about 5 life. I only cut it from my deck because it basically requires a counterspell to stop and I dislike that.

Dragonlover
Pronoun: he / him

Post by Dragonlover » 11 months ago

They had Skull Storm proxied at one point but took it out cause they found they never cast it. The reanimator stuff is only there for a rebuild, as Grozoth into Myojin of Life's Web into a pile of 9 cmc cards hitting the board tends to make the game very tricky for everyone else. I'll suggest it though.

Dragonlover
All my decks are here

Moonlighter
Lunatic

Post by Moonlighter » 11 months ago

toctheyounger wrote:
11 months ago
Can't blame you, Tayam is known as one of the more complex decks in any format of magic.
Pulling this conversation out of the Raffine thread. I love the Tayam lines! There's some beautiful complexity to what you can do. Chain of Smog + Witherbloom Apprentice is such a clean, unintuitive line. I know the first time I pulled it, people wouldn't understand and I would have some joy explaining it. Also the use of unheard of heroes such as Shield Mate or Centaur Garden with Devoted Druid to unload your deck are some lean, mean, and very clean (to me) lines of play. One of the things that makes me leery is that some of the players in my group had a hard time with me explaining how I had infinite soldiers with Abdel Adrian, Gorion's Ward in the yard and Necromancy in hand at the end step of the turn before mine. I love the lines, but having more than one deck that requires Magic Rules ExplanationsTM isn't what I'm after.
Playing EDH: Alesha Who Smiles at Death; Baba Lysaga, Night Witch; Emiel the Blessed; Breena, the Demagogue; Xenagos, God of Revels; Seton, Krosan Protector; Phelddagrif.

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 11 months ago

Moonlighter wrote:
11 months ago
toctheyounger wrote:
11 months ago
Can't blame you, Tayam is known as one of the more complex decks in any format of magic.
Pulling this conversation out of the Raffine thread. I love the Tayam lines! There's some beautiful complexity to what you can do. Chain of Smog + Witherbloom Apprentice is such a clean, unintuitive line. I know the first time I pulled it, people wouldn't understand and I would have some joy explaining it. Also the use of unheard of heroes such as Shield Mate or Centaur Garden with Devoted Druid to unload your deck are some lean, mean, and very clean (to me) lines of play. One of the things that makes me leery is that some of the players in my group had a hard time with me explaining how I had infinite soldiers with Abdel Adrian, Gorion's Ward in the yard and Necromancy in hand at the end step of the turn before mine. I love the lines, but having more than one deck that requires Magic Rules ExplanationsTM isn't what I'm after.
Ah, I see. I also hate explaining complex rules interactions without a judge handy. I used to play Parallax Wave/Starfield of Nyx combo in my Sythis deck, but everytime I had to clarify that, no all the creatures are gone forever and yes this actually works, a little bit of my soul died. You can just see on people's faces when they don't really believe you but they don't have enough game knowledge to contradict you either, and it bums me out.

Everyone understands combat though. Violence is a universal language.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

toctheyounger

Post by toctheyounger » 11 months ago

Yeah, I'm actually retooling the deck to a much more convoluted midrange layered combo play style, that's thankfully for the most part a damn sight cheaper. It's gonna be nightmarish to rules lawyer through, but the deck is kind of a labor of love. I've thought about pulling it apart before but no other deck I know uses the stack like Tayam.

I get the combat thing. I have mad respect for anyone who goes for turning sideways as a way to win. The closest I have to this is my Jodah hatebear soup, and my high rolling Delina builds. They kinda both cheat the combat thing in various ways. Oh and Bruna too, you'd be surprised how few people factor flying in. It almost seems unfair some days.
Malazan Decks of the Fallen
| Shadowthrone/Lazav | Raest/Yidris | T'iam / The Ur-Dragon |

Hermes_

Post by Hermes_ » 11 months ago

materpillar wrote:
11 months ago

We're not so different, you and I. We both like winning with handicaps. My rules just allow for more war crimes in service of a glorious combat victory than yours might.
I don't know. Someday I'm going to cast a turn 5 Combustible Gearhulk, my opponent is going to take the damage and then I'm going to flip Draco + Autochthon Wurm + Progenitus.. That feels like a war crime to me. XD

My high CMC pile is likely more lethal than you give it credit.
which link in your sig goes to that list? I'd like to read it for umm science reasons
The Secret of Commander (EDH)
Sheldon-"The secret of this format is in not breaking it. "

materpillar
the caterpillar

Hermes_ wrote:
11 months ago
materpillar wrote:
11 months ago

which link in your sig goes to that list? I'd like to read it for umm science reasons
Esika. The thread has some changes and a rough sorting of the cards. The most updated list is https://aetherhub.com/Deck/golos-worst- ... e-possible

Also, they're printing Palantir of Orthanc which just makes me so happy. It'll just draw a card every turn for the most part but the time some fool doesn't let me draw.

DirkGently
My wins are unconditional

Post by DirkGently » 11 months ago

There are so many legends in LTR and LTC. I've been going for hours and I'm still in the monocolor ones from LTR, and they aren't even all spoiled yet. Also almost all of them are terrible. This GBU is brutal.
Perm Decks
Phelddagrif - Kaervek - Golos - Zirilan

Flux Decks
Gollum - Lobelia - Minthara - Plargg2 - Solphim - Otharri - Graaz - Ratchet - Soundwave - Slicer - Gale - Rootha - Kagemaro - Blorpityblorpboop - Kayla - SliverQueen - Ivy - Falco - Gluntch - Charlatan/Wilson - Garth - Kros - Anthousa - Shigeki - Light-Paws - Lukka - Sefris - Ebondeath - Rokiric - Garth - Nixilis - Grist - Mavinda - Kumano - Nezahal - Mavinda - Plargg - Plargg - Extus - Plargg - Oracle - Kardur - Halvar - Tergrid - Egon - Cosima - Halana+Livio - Jeska+Falthis+Obosh - Yeva - Akiri+Zirda - Lady Sun - Nahiri - Korlash - Overlord+Zirda - Chisei - Athreos2 - Akim - Cazur+Ukkima - Otrimi - Otrimi - Kalamax - Ayli+Lurrus - Clamilton - Gonti - Heliod2 - Ayula - Thassa2 - Gallia - Purphoros2 - Rankle - Uro - Rayami - Gargos - Thrasios+Bruse - Pang - Sasaya - Wydwen - Feather - Rona - Toshiro - Sylvia+Khorvath - Geth - QMarchesa - Firesong - Athreos - Arixmethes - Isperia - Etali - Silas+Sidar - Saskia - Virtus+Gorm - Kynaios - Naban - Aryel - Mizzix - Kazuul - Tymna+Kraum - Sidar+Tymna - Ayli - Gwendlyn - Phelddagrif - Liliana - Kaervek - Phelddagrif - Mairsil - Scarab - Child - Phenax - Shirei - Thada - Depala - Circu - Kytheon - GrenzoHR - Phelddagrif - Reyhan+Kraum - Toshiro - Varolz - Nin - Ojutai - Tasigur - Zedruu - Uril - Edric - Wort - Zurgo - Nahiri - Grenzo - Kozilek - Yisan - Ink-Treader - Yisan - Brago - Sidisi - Toshiro - Alexi - Sygg - Brimaz - Sek'Kuar - Marchesa - Vish Kal - Iroas - Phelddagrif - Ephara - Derevi - Glissa - Wanderer - Saffi - Melek - Xiahou Dun - Lazav - Lin Sivvi - Zirilan - Glissa - Ashling1 - Angus - Arcum - Talrand - Chainer - Higure - Kumano - Scion - Teferi1 - Uyo - Sisters
PDH - Drake - Graverobber - Izzet GM - Tallowisp - Symbiote
Brawl - Feather - Ugin - Jace - Scarab - Angrath - Vraska - Kumena
Oathbreaker - Wrenn&6

Moonlighter
Lunatic

toctheyounger wrote:
11 months ago
Yeah, I'm actually retooling the deck to a much more convoluted midrange layered combo play style, that's thankfully for the most part a damn sight cheaper. It's gonna be nightmarish to rules lawyer through, but the deck is kind of a labor of love. I've thought about pulling it apart before but no other deck I know uses the stack like Tayam.
Sometimes I just want to explain the bizarre mechanics to people, you know? Turn Mairsil, the Pretender into an enchantment with Dominating Licid and then activate Vorpal Sword. It's counterintuitive nonsense and it's super fun.

I still have your list open and I'm still considering it. I look forward to seeing how you change it up. It's already plenty mean!
Playing EDH: Alesha Who Smiles at Death; Baba Lysaga, Night Witch; Emiel the Blessed; Breena, the Demagogue; Xenagos, God of Revels; Seton, Krosan Protector; Phelddagrif.

Hermes_

Moonlighter wrote:
11 months ago

Sometimes I just want to explain the bizarre mechanics to people, you know? Turn Mairsil, the Pretender into an enchantment with Dominating Licid and then activate Vorpal Sword. It's counterintuitive nonsense and it's super fun.

I still have your list open and I'm still considering it. I look forward to seeing how you change it up. It's already plenty mean!
What the hell?

Hermes_

materpillar wrote:
11 months ago
Hermes_ wrote:
11 months ago
materpillar wrote:
11 months ago

Esika. The thread has some changes and a rough sorting of the cards. The most updated list is https://aetherhub.com/Deck/golos-worst- ... e-possible

Also, they're printing Palantir of Orthanc which just makes me so happy. It'll just draw a card every turn for the most part but the time some fool doesn't let me draw.
That's not the nexus lol,but thanks now to look at it for no reason at all >_>

toctheyounger

Moonlighter wrote:
11 months ago
toctheyounger wrote:
11 months ago

Totally get it. It nice to show off your eccentricities sometimes. I think this build is one I really wouldn't pull out unless whoever you're playing is real comfortable with complex stuff personally. It's gonna be hard enough to explain it as it happens lol.

I'm shifting to more of a stax build that can still go off from underneath heavy control. It'll be pretty all in on the commander, and it'll have some super weird pieces that you're not going to see anywhere else - I'm literally tasked with finding a white one mana common from fallen Empires. But it should be pretty cool and toolboxy. I like stax and I like toolbox, and I kind of have most of what I need for it, so we'll see how it goes.

Moonlighter
Lunatic

Hermes_ wrote:
11 months ago
Moonlighter wrote:
11 months ago

What the hell?
The rules are made up and the points don't matter! Here's link to the rules thread about it.

TheAmericanSpirit
Supreme Dumb Guy
Answers: 1

Post by TheAmericanSpirit » 11 months ago

toctheyounger wrote:
11 months ago
. It'll be pretty all in on the commander, and it'll have some super weird pieces that you're not going to see anywhere else - I'm literally tasked with finding a white one mana common from fallen Empires.
Icatian Moneychanger? I played a Spara deck for a hot second which loved that goon.
There's no biscuits and gravy in New Zealand.
(Except when DirkGently makes them!)

Hermes_

I'm tempted to post a deck-building challenge for the most confusing (rules-wise) deck possible but i'm kind of terrified of what the community will come up with

materpillar
the caterpillar

Hermes_ wrote:
11 months ago
I'm tempted to post a deck-building challenge for the most confusing (rules-wise) deck possible but i'm kind of terrified of what the community will come up with
I guarantee something to do with Humility

pokken
Answers: 2

Post by pokken » 11 months ago

Yeah anything involving layers gets annoying fast. For me the effect that baffles me the most to this day is how The Mimeoplasm can copy a Body Double which then copies something else. I hate that rule.

kirkusjones
Disciple of Dumb

Post by kirkusjones » 11 months ago

Hermes_ wrote:
11 months ago
Meet my friend Winter's Chill.

pokken

kirkusjones wrote:
11 months ago
Hermes_ wrote:
11 months ago
I feel like a funny companion deck to this would be wordcount.dec, where every card tries to get the most words on it it can.

Could make a precon pod of
-wordcount.dec
-confusing rules.dec
-my kenrith storage counter deck, aka abacus.dec
-seedborn muse and stuff that taps but isn't any good.dec

Hermes_

materpillar wrote:
11 months ago
Hermes_ wrote:
11 months ago
I guarantee something to do with Humility
Card one

and
kirkusjones wrote:
11 months ago
Hermes_ wrote:
11 months ago
card two
pokken wrote:
11 months ago

-confusing rules.dec
and there's the name of the deck lol

toctheyounger

TheAmericanSpirit wrote:
11 months ago
toctheyounger wrote:
11 months ago
. It'll be pretty all in on the commander, and it'll have some super weird pieces that you're not going to see anywhere else - I'm literally tasked with finding a white one mana common from fallen Empires.
Icatian Moneychanger? I played a Spara deck for a hot second which loved that goon.
Got it in one. Weirdly hard card to find btw.

TheGildedGoose
HONK HONK
Pronoun: any/all

Post by TheGildedGoose » 11 months ago

I think I'm finding myself in a similar situation to Dirk. A friend of a friend recently got into Magic because of their partner, so my friend introduced me to them. I don't have a personal play group; I play exclusively online and at FLGSs.

Now that I'm going to be playing with a small group of inexperienced players it got me thinking of my decks. My "weakest" deck, Daretti, will still likely topple over them simply because of how I build my decks. That doesn't sound like fun for anyone, so I'm thinking of ways to handicap myself.

What do?

Right now the leading candidate is to give myself a $50 budget.

@toctheyounger: Should've asked me. I bought so many repack "grab bags" at my local store as a kid because they were a dollar. I have so many terrible cards from The Dark through Alliances it's unreal.

toctheyounger

TheGildedGoose wrote:
11 months ago
I think I'm finding myself in a similar situation to Dirk. A friend of a friend recently got into Magic because of their partner, so my friend introduced me to them. I don't have a personal play group; I play exclusively online and at FLGSs.

Now that I'm going to be playing with a small group of inexperienced players it got me thinking of my decks. My "weakest" deck, Daretti, will still likely topple over them simply because of how I build my decks. That doesn't sound like fun for anyone, so I'm thinking of ways to handicap myself.

What do?

@toctheyounger: Should've asked me. I bought so many repack "grab bags" at my local store as a kid because they were a dollar. I have so many terrible cards from The Dark through Alliances it's unreal.
Man you're welcome to send some trash my way if you can spare change to send stuff to nz. In addition to the moneychanger I'm also after Nature's Chosen and Flicker. Non RL stuff that isn't likely to see reprint is stuff you just don't get in stock at your LGS.

pokken

TheGildedGoose wrote:
11 months ago

What do?

I have a set of budget decks I've built recently that are fun. To play low powered casual you need to make sure your commander is mostly mediocre.

Check out my deck box for laezel master chef, jorn snow, bolas amonkhet and god eternal oketra.

https://deckbox.org/sets/3334094
https://deckbox.org/sets/3303697
https://deckbox.org/sets/3190857
https://deckbox.org/sets/3376694

I think oketra and jorn are my faves.

materpillar
the caterpillar

TheGildedGoose wrote:
11 months ago

What do?

I'm a huge fan of setting deck specific mini-goals that aren't "win the game".

IE murder as many goblins as possible with Tivadar of Thorn
Say as many creature types as possible every game with Changeling Tribal
Kill someone with Chromium
If during the coarse of the game someone didn't read one of my cards and set it down with a vaguely confused face, I need to cut some staples.

If you're going to go budget, go hard. Only quarter bin cards (excluding fixing lands).

Look at your current decks, specifically their mana curve. Build something that has a curve of at least one or two worse on average.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Commander”